Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Sock puppets

  1. #1 Sock puppets 
    Forum Masters Degree SuperNatendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN USA
    Posts
    505
    Is there any way to show in every post, not just the poster's username, but also an I.D. number that is based off of the user's IP Address? I know this is tricky, since most of us have dynamic IP addresses, and some of us use more than 1 pc in more than 1 location, and we don't want to put spyware on a member's pc, but there has to be SOME way to cut down on people making multiple usernames to use on this forum.

    At least it would cut down on the quantity of these instances since it would catch the people who log in and out of multiple usernames in the same day. It would be too much hassle to consistently try and beat this or a similar system, but again it would be alot of hassle to implement as well.


    "It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense." - Mark Twain
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    956
    Admins and moderators should be able to see IP addresses, so they can determine if a new poster is a sock puppet of an existing member. People making sock puppets should be aware of this – so this is already a limiting factor influencing their decision to create multiple identities.

    In some cases having more than one account name shouldn’t be a problem. If they’re not abusing their multiple identities, life on the forum can go on as normal.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    I don't think we have any objection to the use of sock puppets, unless they are used to get around a ban, or to act in a manner contrary to the interests of the forum.

    Supernatendo has pointed out the major monitoring difficulty: varying and various ip addresses.

    If any of you suspect a disruptive poster is the sock puppet of a current or former member, then pm a mod and we shall look into it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    [ad hominem remark deleted.. moderator: Pendragon]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    you know minxy, it's rather sad when you're like this : spitefulness is never funny even if you try to pass it off as a joke
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Supernando is the ninny who claimed I had multiple socks, is there a system mods can put in place to automatically remove ninni-isms?
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    you know minxy, it's rather sad when you're like this : spitefulness is never funny even if you try to pass it off as a joke
    I can't even remember what i wrote

    And I don't care anyway

    Or about what you think

    Sarcasm is the same as spite and that's what many other members practice including you, but that's different isn't it, because you're all.........
    ......sthooooo spethshial!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Sarcasm is the same as spite and that's what many other members practice including you, ...
    i try not to use sarcasm but being human i'm sure to fail when my superego isn't looking - it's not something i'm particularly proud of, but saying that, i DO try and make an effort to tackle the ball and not the person (that was ball, not ballS)
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Sarcasm is the same as spite and that's what many other members practice including you, ...
    i try not to use sarcasm but being human i'm sure to fail when my superego isn't looking - it's not something i'm particularly proud of, but saying that, i DO try and make an effort to tackle the ball and not the person (that was ball, not ballS)
    And who's holding the ball if it's not a person?

    Come on Marnix, you make every conscious effort to be as sarcastic as possible.

    The thing is you call it by a different name most probably-witticism

    But it's still spite beneath the veil of sarcasm or the shroud of wit
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Jeepers, all my favorite people arguing, how did this happen???
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    Jeepers, all my favorite people arguing, how did this happen???
    It's my fault

    ToR

    I am being argumentative

    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    The arguments do add a bit of a sidetrack to normal procedings. As long as they are confined to threads like these, I simply enjoy them! :wink:
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    The arguments do add a bit of a sidetrack to normal procedings. As long as they are confined to threads like these, I simply enjoy them! :wink:
    That's the spirit! :-D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Come on Marnix, you make every conscious effort to be as sarcastic as possible.

    The thing is you call it by a different name most probably-witticism
    i'd say there's a vast difference between trying to be witty and trying to be sarcastic : in the first instance you try to shrug an awkward situation off by having a laugh, in the second you deliberately go for a putdown

    e.g. my comment about how money doesn't help you get rid of PMT was just that : an idle comment that popped into my head and i thought was fairly amusing - if you decide to interpret my witticisms as sarcasm then that's your interpretation, not my intention
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Come on Marnix, you make every conscious effort to be as sarcastic as possible.

    The thing is you call it by a different name most probably-witticism
    i'd say there's a vast difference between trying to be witty and trying to be sarcastic : in the first instance you try to shrug an awkward situation off by having a laugh, in the second you deliberately go for a putdown

    e.g. my comment about how money doesn't help you get rid of PMT was just that : an idle comment that popped into my head and i thought was fairly amusing - if you decide to interpret my witticisms as sarcasm then that's your interpretation, not my intention
    I found that remark funny actually

    I don't take offence at witty black sarcastic humour, i love it.

    Why do you think I give it?

    Because I love it back!

    I wish people would lighten up and stop being so over-sensitive

    (I am not on about you Marnix)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    Jeepers, all my favorite people arguing, how did this happen???
    Good question.

    _________________________
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Find out how to talk to women at:
    http://www.girltalk-ladiesonly.blogspot.com

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    e.g. my comment about how money doesn't help you get rid of PMT was just that : an idle comment that popped into my head and i thought was fairly amusing - if you decide to interpret my witticisms as sarcasm then that's your interpretation, not my intention
    Actually, I interpreted your comment as sarcasm – and I absolutely loved it!

    Now that you’ve explained that it wasn’t sarcasm, it doesn’t sound so good as before.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneBennet
    Now that you’ve explained that it wasn’t sarcasm, it doesn’t sound so good as before.
    oh well, life is full of disappointments + i seem to contribute to them without even trying
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Ms Bennet

    Stick with the maths

    You are no good at being a bitch so get over it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up JaneBennets Arse
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneBennet
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    e.g. my comment about how money doesn't help you get rid of PMT was just that : an idle comment that popped into my head and i thought was fairly amusing - if you decide to interpret my witticisms as sarcasm then that's your interpretation, not my intention
    Actually, I interpreted your comment as sarcasm – and I absolutely loved it!

    Now that you’ve explained that it wasn’t sarcasm, it doesn’t sound so good as before.

    Aaah Bennet

    Sarcasm is the lowest for of wit

    But then you always came across as a half wit
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •