Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Too many 'haters'

  1. #1 Too many 'haters' 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    19
    Right, this could go in the religious forum, but whatever.

    I've not been on this forum long, but have noticed in the religious forum there are many atheists who insist on putting other 'believers' down by saying Quote: 'Jesus isn't real' or 'why should I believe in fairies' and what not.

    So I'd like to ask moderators to stop these 'haters' and stop them putting others down. I'm not saying don't allow atheist views, but if they get out of hand by verbally abusing other peoples views for no reason, I'd like them warned.

    Thanks ~ Boy Genius


    "Debates are what keep me going"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore GrowlingDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    At the gates of Sto-vo-kor
    Posts
    181
    Yep, you said it, it's the atheists that have caused all the problems. Fundamentalist atheists, they are always stirring up trouble, not like those good Christian folk or believers in Islam, now they have done nothing but good for the people of earth.


    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    45
    Uhh, case in point!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    19
    So ur with me? Should we stop this? YEH!
    "Debates are what keep me going"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    We've developped the following rule of thumb on this forum: it's ok to use any means to attack eachother's arguments, so it's allowed to say "your argument doesn't make sense", "your claim is based on nothing" etc. But members are not allowed to attack eachother personally, like "you're stupid".

    If someone makes the claim "there is a god", then it's allowed for people to reply "where, what do you base it on?" or "that claim is unscientific, it doesn't make sense".

    When you see personal insults anywhere on the forum, please message any of the moderators and we'll take a look at it.

    The two examples you mentioned are not considered hate on this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Genius
    .. Quote: 'Jesus isn't real' or 'why should I believe in fairies'..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    19
    I cleaned my examples because some were much too violent and nasty to certain religious beliefs.
    "Debates are what keep me going"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Genius
    I cleaned my examples because some were much too violent and nasty to certain religious beliefs.
    Please send the uncleaned examples by pm to me or another moderator, if they seem to break the forum rules.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    19
    Ok,
    "Debates are what keep me going"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2
    yes death to athiest darwin lovers
    rf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Boy Genius, I think it is worthwhile expanding on Pendragon's comments about the two examples you gave.

    "Jesus isn't real." There are a large number of scholars who assert there is no credible evidence for the existence of an individual called Jesus, who led a life similar to that described in the four gospels. These scholars may be incorrect, but their view is neither outlandish, nor limited to a couple of people. It is quite reasonable then, based upon their studies, to make the assertion 'Jesus isn't real'. This may make a Christian feel uncomfortable, but it is a justifiable position to adopt based upon one reading of the evidence, or rather lack of it.

    "Why should I believe in fairies." The athiest would contend, based upon observation, that there is no more evidence for God than there is for fairies. It is therefore reasonable for her to convey her sense of disbelief by making this comparison. God may seem very real to the devout Christian, but this belief is arguably based upon faith, not observation.

    We would like to encourage respectful dialogue, but such dialogue may reasonably include these milder examples of what concerns you. As Pendragon has said, relay specific instances of direct attacks on a person via pm and we shall take appropriate action.

    Edited once for typographical errors.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    We've developped the following rule of thumb on this forum: it's ok to use any means to attack eachother's arguments, so it's allowed to say "your argument doesn't make sense", "your claim is based on nothing" etc. But members are not allowed to attack eachother personally, like "you're stupid".

    If someone makes the claim "there is a god", then it's allowed for people to reply "where, what do you base it on?" or "that claim is unscientific, it doesn't make sense".

    When you see personal insults anywhere on the forum, please message any of the moderators and we'll take a look at it.

    The two examples you mentioned are not considered hate on this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Genius
    'why should I believe in fairies'..
    I think that from my experience at least, the statement about fairies is actually an insult. If the topic of fairies is brought up then ok its fine, but if we were talking about God and suddenly somebody raises that statement about fairies, I would smell that as an indirect insult.

    For instance it could be sarcastic and meant this way by the speaker:

    Why should I believe in fairies.

    I insult thee by reffering your belief and way of life in God, to be the eqivalent of being tiny fairies. Some religious folk would take it as an insult. For instace if that one letter guy were to say it, we all know that he would mean it as an insult. The less naive on this forum won't see the harm in that. But there are those who will indirectly attempt to insult.

    I understand that the assumption that belief in fairies is subjective to be an insult or not, in the conext of belief in God, but if one analyses the direction the conversation previously from recent posts, then one may deduce that statement and others similar as an insult.

    You may see this as overanalysing, but I'm sure you have more than once been indirectly insulted, and it should not be allowed anymore than direct insulting.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    SV, if you look at it from the viewpoint of an atheist though : fairies are make-belief, god is make-belief, same difference

    although i can see that it can be deemed provocative, like someone calling your dad a paedo
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    although i can see that it can be deemed provocative, like someone calling your dad a paedo
    These are different, since one has no evidence and the other has only minor circumstantial evidence. :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Re: Too many 'haters' 
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Genius
    Right, this could go in the religious forum, but whatever.

    I've not been on this forum long, but have noticed in the religious forum there are many atheists who insist on putting other 'believers' down by saying Quote: 'Jesus isn't real' or 'why should I believe in fairies' and what not.

    So I'd like to ask moderators to stop these 'haters' and stop them putting others down. I'm not saying don't allow atheist views, but if they get out of hand by verbally abusing other peoples views for no reason, I'd like them warned.

    Thanks ~ Boy Genius
    Some may hate a cults ideologies, but that doesn't mean they hate the people themselves who belong to the cult.

    The Abrahamic cult you belong has provided civilization with some of the most despicable atrocities mankind has ever endured. People have good reason to despise it. What is your reason for following this cult?
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •