Notices
Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Homouniversalis.

  1. #1 Homouniversalis. 
    Guest
    If nobody has the balls to ban Solomon Grundy, grant me temporarily the power and I'll do it for you. Then perhaps The Science Forum might regain some respect.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Could you provide a post that you found going against the rules where he wasn't trolled into it by - per example - you?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,595
    MB; There is nothing that bores me more than *one liner* arguments. I have had some long interactions with such people and found them extremely irritating, but never intolerable.

    SG is a member of Sherdog.com, a Martial Arts forum and has some 2000 plus post, all one liners, but among people who also post ONE LINERS.

    Q is such a person and there have been a few others, recently. My personal attitude is to ignore, which if everyone did, that poster would simply leave the forum, from boredom. On the other hand some advance to discussion which is whats forums are about, by the way Q seems to be doing.

    In another post I mentioned TOLERANCE, which is hard for a person who as achieved success to accept. The problem is many folks are not at your level in achievement or education. Cosmo would be a good example, who has become a force for his SSU ideas, over years while advancing his theory. In fact he has quite a following in some rather difficult forums, where accepted theory alone was allowed...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    J33,

    No I wouldn't actually ban SG, but I might cut some of his posts from the more serious threads.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    The Ignore button does still work does it not ?

    I also find the one liners annoying and mostly lacking any real thoughtfulness. Once in a while however that's all that needs to be said.

    Perhaps we need a "How to deal with your emotions" forum
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson33
    ...who also post ONE LINERS.

    Q is such a person and there have been a few others, recently. My personal attitude is to ignore, which if everyone did, that poster would simply leave the forum, from boredom. On the other hand some advance to discussion which is whats forums are about, by the way Q seems to be doing.
    Interesting. The fact that one may succinctly get a point across in fewer words is deemed to be ignored. Yet, are we to give the attention required by those who overindulge in nonsensical musings?
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Interesting. The fact that one may succinctly get a point across in fewer words is deemed to be ignored. Yet, are we to give the attention required by those who overindulge in nonsensical musings?
    The thing is, one-liners are alot of the times not enough to tell us exactly where our nonsensical musings turn nonsensical. Simply saying something clashes with "this" theory does not tell us in what aspects it clashes.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    The thing is, one-liners are alot of the times not enough to tell us exactly where our nonsensical musings turn nonsensical. Simply saying something clashes with "this" theory does not tell us in what aspects it clashes.
    Agreed, unless the one-liner did in fact point out the flaw to the argument.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    Your all wrong
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Interesting. The fact that one may succinctly get a point across in fewer words is deemed to be ignored. Yet, are we to give the attention required by those who overindulge in nonsensical musings?
    What any one person calls "nonsensical" will differ from another. In responding to a post, you can usually assume I disagree (to degree), why else bother. This means giving some outline, from where I come. When being answered, simply calling me a name, means nothing to the issue which is assumed I have interest in. Many times to many posters, you have done just that, or answered in such vague science terms, its hard to assume you have any science back ground, whether self learned or formal. On this I feel its your years of replies, on the same topics based on what ever has been learned from those that you could agree with.

    Now, with the above "nonsensical musings"; No, many times fewer words lead no where and the poster being answered feels either brushed off or that you did not understand. Then no solution gained...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Agreed, unless the one-liner did in fact point out the flaw to the argument.
    On the other hand, I can sympathise with the use of one-liners when it comes to people that just won’t give up, no matter what you come up with to refute them, i.e.IDiots. I guess the same happens when someone argues a point contrary to current sound theories and keep on raising the same points in turn, even after being previously corrected. I also recognize that it could get tiresome continuously addressing the same rehashed arguments from different posters. I guess it comes as part of the package of you being considered a reliable assigner of stamps of approval or denial. :wink:
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I personally believe that it would not occur if when someone is corrected that the person correcting does not hurt the pride of the person being corrected, because we all have pride and for a man to lose his pride he becomes angry and thus has to start a new argument which may not be entirley relevant to the specific thread. So lets me nice people :-D.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Could you provide a post that you found going against the rules where he wasn't trolled into it by - per example - you?
    Oh HomoU

    So now trolling is a reaction caused by others who aren't following the rules?.....oh dear there's a bizarre bit of logic.....it always amazes me how folk bend and twist and contort their beliefs and arguments to suit a belief only to bend and twist it back again to suit another one.

    What double standards and weird ideas some of the mods here have.

    Shame Megabrain has left the building he seemed the only one that had any sense or standards on here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Could you provide a post that you found going against the rules where he wasn't trolled into it by - per example - you?
    Oh HomoU

    So now trolling is a reaction caused by others who aren't following the rules?
    Perhaps you should reread my post. I said 'trolled into it'. As in, someone elicited such a response. He's not being a troll, he's sometimes being harsh, but rarely without someone 'trolling him into it,' i.e. insulting him.

    .....oh dear there's a bizarre bit of logic.....it always amazes me how folk bend and twist and contort their beliefs and arguments to suit a belief only to bend and twist it back again to suit another one.

    What double standards and weird ideas some of the mods here have.

    Shame Megabrain has left the building he seemed the only one that had any sense or standards on here.
    Oh, put a cork in it. No one here has been given as much leniency as you have, minx.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    On the other hand, I can sympathise with the use of one-liners when it comes to people that just won’t give up, no matter what you come up with to refute them, i.e.IDiots. I guess the same happens when someone argues a point contrary to current sound theories and keep on raising the same points in turn, even after being previously corrected. I also recognize that it could get tiresome continuously addressing the same rehashed arguments from different posters. I guess it comes as part of the package of you being considered a reliable assigner of stamps of approval or denial. :wink:
    That's pretty much the extent of it. Sometimes a one liner is meant for the person to stop and think about what they said and see if they recognize the flaw in their argument.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I personally believe that it would not occur if when someone is corrected that the person correcting does not hurt the pride of the person being corrected, because we all have pride and for a man to lose his pride he becomes angry and thus has to start a new argument which may not be entirley relevant to the specific thread. So lets me nice people.
    Your personal emotional state is irrelevant. If you wish to pander to your "feelings" perhaps a nice Christian gay chat room would be more to your liking - there you can wallow in your emotional state free from anti-pride arguments. Wanker.

    http://www.chatterhead.net/gay-chat.html
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Your personal emotional state is irrelevant. If you wish to pander to your "feelings" perhaps a nice Christian gay chat room would be more to your liking - there you can wallow in your emotional state free from anti-pride arguments. Wanker.
    Thats a bit, harsh.

    this topics a real "insult throwing" topic.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgod3rd

    Thats a bit, harsh.

    this topics a real "insult throwing" topic.
    Sorry about that. For some reason, svwillmer has decided to follow me around the forum posting personal attacks. I'm simply responding in kind.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    I am hugely entertained, actually. As long as it is restricted to a thread dedicated to it!
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    svwillmer has decided to follow me around the forum
    no no, he just likes to post A LOT. if he happens to be following you thats probably all it is.

    no need to bash his Christian beliefs mind you,
    Christian gay chat room
    (edited)
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis

    Oh, put a cork in it.
    Oh HomoU I just love it when you talk dirty!


    Quote Originally Posted by HomeUniversalis
    No one here has been given as much leniency as you have, minx.
    I am honoured Homo, but i don't want special leniency, i want you to punish me!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    I am honoured Homo, but i don't want special leniency, i want you to punish me!
    So you like both sides of the coin? Interesting...
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    I am honoured Homo, but i don't want special leniency, i want you to punish me!
    So you like both sides of the coin? Interesting...
    Yeah.....why are you gonna flip it?

    (oops one line answer! Is that as bad as trolling?)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Guest
    What happened to the thread in Politics, you know, the one where I called Oprolite a cunt of the first order?

    Deleted along with my ability to a personal signature eh?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    it's almost like that other forum here.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    What happened to the thread in Politics, you know, the one where I called Oprolite a cunt of the first order?

    Deleted along with my ability to a personal signature eh?
    I am pleased you didn't call me a **** of the second order. That would have offended me.

    Now, could I suggest, that if you have a problem with me - which certainly seems to be the case - that you deal with it privately and explain to me via pm just exactly what that problem is. If it is practically resolvable we shall resolve it. If it isn't then we shall find some other accomodation.

    As Spurious remarks you are making this look like sciforums.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaBrain
    Deleted along with my ability to a personal signature eh?
    For the record, I found the signature and the avatar, which were targeted to insult me, passably amusing. I would have left them. One of the other mods, following precepts quite close to your own, believed that it was inappropriate to use signatures to insult other members and revoked your privileges. We all post here as a privilege, not as a right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    What happened to the thread in Politics, ...
    tbh i was surprised it took this long for the thread to disappear
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Guest
    You are so fucking unbelievable, I seem to remember it was fine for you to openly insult me on the board when I became a mod, and break the rules to such an extent that you were banned. Despite my attempts to PM you and solve it amicably you threw only insults at me. THis why I refered to you as a two faced b'stard in another thread when, once again you take that holier than though attitude. Now fuck off back to your other forum, I don't give a toss about losing the avator/sig I'd have done that too but I'd have given a warining. Why? because as I said I logged on and found in the Mod office another knife in the back. I'll take it back, you are not a cunt, a cunt is useful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    I asked for a permban for myself at the other forum.

    Because some things cannot be healed.

    It feels good.

    I don't know what is going on here exactly, but there is definitely a huge rift the size of a gargantuan abyss.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    You are so fucking unbelievable, I seem to remember it was fine for you to openly insult me on the board when I became a mod, and break the rules to such an extent that you were banned.
    Shortly I may choose (see the earlier post) to get angry. Not yet however.
    If I was openly insulting you how can you claim I was being two faced? That stretches my powers of understanding.

    If you recall we both exchanged insults - not very edifying for the bystanders, but a mutual tangle. (My reading of the situation, as to right or wrong, is that we were speaking such completely different languages our comprehensions went sailing past each other.)

    I suggested to HU that I be banned for a week as the best way of resolving the situation that had arisen between us. I felt it was more important that your position as a mod be upheld, than that I be treated fairly. I believe he concurred. Certainly the ban took place and, if I remember correctly I was issued with a strongly worded verbal warning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Despite my attempts to PM you and solve it amicably you threw only insults at me.
    I repeated my strongly held objections to certain aspects of your posting and moderator style/content. I made no secret of it. I may have been right. I may have been wrong. But I was certainly open about it, maintaining the same position in public and via pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    THis why I refered to you as a two faced b'stard in another thread when, once again you take that holier than though attitude.
    I don't know which thread you are referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Now fuck off back to your other forum,.
    I think you mean sciforums, since that is the only one where I use the same nom de plume. I have not posted there for a couple of months. I left in protest at the way the mods handled Spurious Monkey. It didn't have any effect, but it made me feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I don't give a toss about losing the avator/sig I'd have done that too but I'd have given a warining..
    That doesn't match up to my perception of how you moderated. Perhaps my perception is flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Why? because as I said I logged on and found in the Mod office another knife in the back. I'll take it back, you are not a cunt, a cunt is useful.
    I really think you need to get a better understanding of reality MB. In the mod's forum we discuss issues that concern the administration of the forum. A knife in the back would have been if I had sent HU a pm in which I condemned you. What did I actually do. I said I thought you were precipitate in unilaterally setting policy in the homework thread and noting my well publicised past disagreements with you.
    I fully expected you to argue your case, for me to respond if it seemed appropriate and for HU to make a decision, if one were required. You seemed to feel deleting your account was a more measured response.

    Since we seem incapable of understanding each other perhaps we should get married.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Ph.D. william's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Since we seem incapable of understanding each other perhaps we should get married.


    ...this is so true!

    Thanks. I needed a good laugh. The past couple of days have been bad for me.


    Cheers
    "... the polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."
    ~Footnote in Goldstein's Mechanics, 3rd ed. p. 202
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    If someone has a problem with moderation or a moderator specifically, PM me.

    Let me be as clear as I can be: I'm here to make the experience for members as pleasant as possible. I've made guidelines to clarify what is and what is not expected. They are not rules set in stone, but refer to a general understanding of what is and what is not considered civil and acceptable.

    If you are here only to complain or follow members/moderators around and (attempt to) insult them, I will ban you sooner than you can make a thread with my name on it. If you have complaints, PM or email me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    That's actually a good goal; to make the forum a pleasant experience.

    Because although a forum can still lure you into posting when it is an unpleasant experience, it doesn't really make you feel good. It merely increases negative feelings in your whole life experience.

    I always liked the civil tone of this forum.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    If someone has a problem with moderation or a moderator specifically, PM me.

    Let me be as clear as I can be: I'm here to make the experience for members as pleasant as possible. I've made guidelines to clarify what is and what is not expected. They are not rules set in stone, but refer to a general understanding of what is and what is not considered civil and acceptable.

    If you are here only to complain or follow members/moderators around and (attempt to) insult them, I will ban you sooner than you can make a thread with my name on it. If you have complaints, PM or email me.
    I only follow you around because i am in awe of you HomeUniversalis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    I only follow you around because i am in awe of you HomeUniversalis.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    I only follow you around because i am in awe of you HomeUniversalis.
    Well i am sorry if it makes you feel that way MarnixR but i seriously think i am in love with him.

    What girl wouldn't be with that superiour intellect and authoritarian fatherly approach.

    I think of him as my daddy
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •