Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Change your name

  1. #1 Change your name 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Can we be able to change our names in the future, as it may be helpful to those who may want to change it given that they don't want to create a new profile. It's the fact of losing the rank in this forum, or post numbers whatever. You could have under the new name 'Formely your name here'. Good idea? I thought so :-D


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    I'm considering the name 'sexy beast'.


    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Change your name 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Can we be able to change our names in the future, as it may be helpful to those who may want to change it given that they don't want to create a new profile. It's the fact of losing the rank in this forum, or post numbers whatever. You could have under the new name 'Formely your name here'. Good idea? I thought so :-D
    You never read the forum rules, did you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Change your name 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Can we be able to change our names in the future, as it may be helpful to those who may want to change it given that they don't want to create a new profile. It's the fact of losing the rank in this forum, or post numbers whatever. You could have under the new name 'Formely your name here'. Good idea? I thought so :-D
    You never read the forum rules, did you?
    The only rules I read of that of the Bible.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    I might have read the rules, but it has been ages ago. And to be honest I have trouble remembering the birthdays of my children, let alone the rules of this forum.

    where are they again?
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    A sticky in this subforum contains them.

    It's called, perhaps appropriately 'The Science Forum Guidelines'.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    So can you create a feature to change your name then?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,620
    I guess it rather begs the question; why would you want to? I assume this rule is in place because there is no "honourable" reason to do so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    There are rules?!?
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    I think its safe to say not many people have read the rules

    i haven't. i rely on my good nature, and i think i have the sense to follow what i haven't read.

    there should be no change of name feature.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgod3rd
    I think its safe to say not many people have read the rules

    i haven't. i rely on my good nature, and i think i have the sense to follow what i haven't read.

    there should be no change of name feature.
    No, you won't. Discussing illegal actions is against the guidelines and terms of agreement. Consider yourself warned. - HomoUniversalis
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    I just think it would be rather pointless. If people change their names it would cause confusion.

    i had my name changed at the very start here, because i made a typo mentioned that in my intro all those 2 and a half years ago and i was happy to see that the kind mod's sorted it out for me.

    if your given the ability to change your name, it would be like avatars. hell it confuses me when peoples avatars change so often.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    All the more reason to engage the little gray cells before clicking "submit"


    Of course, the easy way to fix this is to allow name changes, but only once a year.
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Of course, the easy way to fix this is to allow name changes, but only once a year.
    there's a compromise.

    Only with valid reason :P
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgod3rd
    I think its safe to say not many people have read the rules

    i haven't. i rely on my good nature, and i think i have the sense to follow what i haven't read.

    there should be no change of name feature.
    No, you won't. Discussing illegal actions is against the guidelines and terms of agreement. Consider yourself warned. - HomoUniversalis
    I did that, I hacked in as Homo and warned myself

    PS I wasn't serious anyway. I mean its not like I;m going to plant a cyber bomb is it? The worlds gone potty with procedure.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •