Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Image uploads and links - batting .200

  1. #1 Image uploads and links - batting .200 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    125
    I'm very new to this forum, but this isn't my first rodeo by several epochs.

    I'm a big fan of diagrams and images, so I know my way around file uploading and linking. It's identical here as on other fora that use the same software.

    I've uploaded a few images successfully here, but mostly (at least 5 out of 6 times) I get an error dialogue, which unhelpfully simply tells me the upload failed. It takes me at least 6 or so tries using different methods (linking, uploading, setting/unsetting retrieve, uploading to my personal server, etc).

    Now, I know about restrictions of size and format, and I have managed to upload a couple, so it's not like I have restricted permissions.

    And I know, it's not my method or a missed ticky-box or a corrupt file, because I do mostly manage to get them uploaded without making any changes on my end.

    It's got to be some finickiness with the forum.

    Anyone experienced this?

    I can go into specifics, if that's not enough information.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    125
    You're killin' me here, SciFo.

    You say the upload failed, yet there it is, uploaded.

    Definitely a software glitch.


    This space for rent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    I think many of us are getting these sorts of strange events now. If I edit something, the cursor jumps back and forth along each line. At least half my post get duplicated and I've had to remove duplicates by others.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    At least half my post get duplicated and I've had to remove duplicates by others.
    I avoid duplicate posts by ignoring any problems that may occur upon posting and then checking to see if the post has been posted, which it usually has. It seems to me that duplicate posts occur because people repost after receiving an error without looking to see that their post is already there.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman A-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45
    I'm not able to upload images for some reason. They're 275x275 4.59kb Jpegs but I've tried making them smaller, using different file types, different browsers and a different computer and all I get 'Upload of file failed'. My avatar uploaded but that seems to be done differently. Is it an issue with the site at the moment or specific to my account? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by A-wal View Post
    Is it an issue with the site at the moment or specific to my account? Thanks.
    It is definitely not just you.
    This space for rent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Image upload is not operational right now, since there is no server space allocated to it. However, it is possible to insert images via a link, so the best way to do it is to upload it somewhere else, and then insert it via a link.

    There also appears to be an issue with the messaging system, but that seems to be just a sporadic issue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    However, it is possible to insert images via a link, so the best way to do it is to upload it somewhere else, and then insert it via a link.
    No. This is just as problematic. I've tried it.
    This space for rent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman A-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    However, it is possible to insert images via a link, so the best way to do it is to upload it somewhere else, and then insert it via a link.
    No. This is just as problematic. I've tried it.
    Yea that didn't work for me either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. 200,000 years ago - homo in Africa
    By mathman in forum Anthropology, Archaeology and Palaeontology
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: September 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM
  2. 200 light years away would current tech detect human civilization
    By icewendigo in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
  3. How will people dress in 200 years?
    By lorbo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: December 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM
  4. 200 years have passed since Robert Bunsen was born
    By nakrul in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 31st, 2011, 08:57 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •