Notices
Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: (Unofficial) Moderator Nominations!

  1. #1 (Unofficial) Moderator Nominations! 
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,280
    From review of the Dywyddyr's suggestion thread it has become apparent to me that we are having a moderator staffing crisis.
    I submit that we need to add one or more moderators. Subject to staff approval of course.
    I think that people should limit themselves to one choice of nomination for the moment.
    For length of membership, patient disposition, and technical knowledge I nominate MagiMaster to become a moderator.


    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    I nominate John Galt.


    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    I nominate John Galt.
    Seconded.
     

  5. #4  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    I'm an anarchist. I nominate PhDemon.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  6. #5  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,155
    Chuckle, I would be terrible as a mod (as well as not having the time nowadays), but thanks for the vote
     

  7. #6  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Wouldn't mind Exchemist or Billvon donning the ban hammer, though this is all speculation until someone simply volunteers.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman precious siraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Still searching true and relative place of my birth, in cosmos
    Posts
    91
    Phdemon for his critical ability and aggressive aptitude to police this forum and save naive science learners from cranks abundantly supplied.
    As I am a recent member, I may miss real assets of this forum. Strange , I think is one of them, and also Mr D.
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman precious siraj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Still searching true and relative place of my birth, in cosmos
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    I nominate John Galt.
    Seconded.
    Is he not moderator already?
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    From review of the Dywyddyr's suggestion thread it has become apparent to me that we are having a moderator staffing crisis.
    I submit that we need to add one or more moderators. Subject to staff approval of course.

    Although I share that sentiment after reading post #43 by member marnixR, I am hesitant to nominate someone to strengthen the Staff.
    Ought we not to wait on a signal from the moderators that they want to recruit new moderators? After all, if they decided to devote more time to this forum, then more manpower would be unnecessary.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  11. #10  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by precious siraj View Post
    Phdemon for his critical ability and aggressive aptitude to police this forum and save naive science learners from cranks abundantly supplied.
    As I am a recent member, I may miss real assets of this forum. Strange , I think is one of them, and also Mr D.
    YES! Where is Strange? He or she was very good value.
     

  12. #11  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    From review of the Dywyddyr's suggestion thread it has become apparent to me that we are having a moderator staffing crisis.
    I submit that we need to add one or more moderators. Subject to staff approval of course.

    Although I share that sentiment after reading post #43 by member marnixR, I am hesitant to nominate someone to strengthen the Staff.
    Ought we not to wait on a signal from the moderators that they want to recruit new moderators? After all, if they decided to devote more time to this forum, then more manpower would be unnecessary.
    Gotta throw something down the stairwell to see if the cat licks it up.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
     

  13. #12  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I'm an anarchist. I nominate PhDemon.
    Pfft, I'm a real anarchist. I nominate Rocket Raccoon and Groot.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  14. #13  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Hey we shouldn't be short of candidates if more Mods are needed, I can think of at least 7 or 8 members who would be great at the job, but if we can only nominate one then I'll say scheherazade.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I'm an anarchist. I nominate PhDemon.
    Pfft, I'm a real anarchist. I nominate Rocket Raccoon and Groot.
    I nominate Dywyddyr.
     

  16. #15  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    976
    I nominate Paleoichneum. Although I also support the Duck.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    I nominate Paleoichneum. Although I also support the Duck.
    No not Paleoichneum! He needs to learn how to interact first.
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Cogito Ergo Sum and Strange would both get my vote as potential moderator candidates.
     

  19. #18  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    I nominate Paleoichneum. Although I also support the Duck.
    No not Paleoichneum! He needs to learn how to interact first.
    From what I've seen he knows how to interact quite well. He mostly hangs out in a a select few sub-forums and is very knowledgeable on the subjects he generally comments on. He just has little patience for things that have little or no supporting evidence. He just isn't active enough and probably doesn't have the free time that a mod here would require. If you are implying that he's rude, I would say he's no worse than me or most other members here.
    Last edited by Falconer360; September 24th, 2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    I nominate Paleoichneum. Although I also support the Duck.
    No not Paleoichneum! He needs to learn how to interact first.
    From what I've seen he knows how to interact quite well. He mostly hangs out in a a select few sub-forums and is very knowledgeable on the subjects he generally comments on. He just has little patience for things that have little or no supporting evidence. He just isn't active enough and probably doesn't have the free time that a mod here would require. If you are implying that he's rude, I would say he's no worse than me or most other members here.
    He is not rude, but just shy to express opinion, but as you say he likes evidence from peer reviewed studies, but I don't see him coping with the less defined topics where personal opinion is more common.

    I try to engage him in a conversation but he doesn't join in. John, Harold, Adelady and Lynx Fox) were great for they will make general conversation as well as just the factual stuff.
     

  21. #20  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    I'm a bit uncomfortable seriously suggesting people to be put up for moderatorship without being asked, but I do feel as though Paleo should be defended (only because he apparently isn't here to say something for himself). He has an area of expertise where I think he has demonstrated great content contribution and he's been more than forthcoming with his opinions on some topics many would find uncomfortable or difficult to discuss with strangers in an open forum. Personally, I think he's one of the forums most valuable members.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    I try to engage him in a conversation but he doesn't join in.
    You mean there are members who do not wish to have a conversation with you? Really?

    That's a strange criterion for being a moderator: Someone who wants to engage in a conversation with Robitty. Why? To hear about your psychic abilities and premonitions?
     

  23. #22  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I'm a bit uncomfortable seriously suggesting people to be put up for moderatorship without being asked, but I do feel as though Paleo should be defended (only because he apparently isn't here to say something for himself). He has an area of expertise where I think he has demonstrated great content contribution and he's been more than forthcoming with his opinions on some topics many would find uncomfortable or difficult to discuss with strangers in an open forum. Personally, I think he's one of the forums most valuable members.
    Agree Palaeo is solid. He may not want the grief, though. Being a Mod strikes me as a fairly thankless task.
     

  24. #23  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    I try to engage him in a conversation but he doesn't join in.
    You mean there are members who do not wish to have a conversation with you? Really?

    That's a strange criterion for being a moderator: Someone who wants to engage in a conversation with Robitty. Why? To hear about your psychic abilities and premonitions?
    Haha, do I perchance detect someone working hard to avoid being nominated for the job?
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    I wish this place was moderated like BAUT (now Cosmoquest). They are strict - very strict - but have a large core of scientific members and non-scientific members. Strict moderation doesn't seem to hurt that site's activity. Over there, posters like the infamous EmmaRoydes would last about five posts before permanently banned.
     

  26. #25  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Agree Palaeo is solid. He may not want the grief, though. Being a Mod strikes me as a fairly thankless task.
    I did it once. It sucks. I don't recommend becoming a mod on a forum you like because you are forever rendered incapable of contributing in the same way. People do not treat perceived authority figures in the same way.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    A moderator is sort of like your parents: they really can't be friends. They can be friendly. They should also be "moderate", meaning they shouldn't take sides in political threads.

    BTW, BAUT doesn't allow politics or religion -- these subjects aren't even allowed to "creep into" other threads. And no ad homs of any type -- by anyone.

    All in all, I like this place. But like most websites, I think it could be better run.
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I don't recommend becoming a mod on a forum you like . . .
    Surely you don't mean that there are people who become mods on a forum they don't like? (I know, I know, . . . don't call you Shirley.)
     

  29. #28  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I don't recommend becoming a mod on a forum you like . . .
    Surely you don't mean that there are people who become mods on a forum they don't like? (I know, I know, . . . don't call you Shirley.)
    I'm not Shirley, but to be frank, it's a paradox.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I don't recommend becoming a mod on a forum you like . . .
    Surely you don't mean that there are people who become mods on a forum they don't like? (I know, I know, . . . don't call you Shirley.)
    Frankly, it's a paradox.
    Yeah, one of them paradoxical enigmatic anomalies, eh?
     

  31. #30  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Don't ninja my ninja edits!
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Don't you get frank with me boy!!! I be puttin' a world of hurt on your head. I may have to open my next to last can of whupass.

    (BTW, your ninja has no power. If he was mine, he would be relegated to washing my backside.)
     

  33. #32  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    I don't have any time to come up with more puns right now, but I'm putting your name in the moderator election hat because of your sass.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I don't have any time to come up with more puns right now, but I'm putting your name in the moderator election hat because of your sass.
    What about my ass? Them's fightin' words. Why I oughta . . .



    (Oh, sass. OK. Nevermind.)
     

  35. #34  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    I nominate Paleoichneum. Although I also support the Duck.
    No not Paleoichneum! He needs to learn how to interact first.
    From what I've seen he knows how to interact quite well. He mostly hangs out in a a select few sub-forums and is very knowledgeable on the subjects he generally comments on. He just has little patience for things that have little or no supporting evidence. He just isn't active enough and probably doesn't have the free time that a mod here would require. If you are implying that he's rude, I would say he's no worse than me or most other members here.

    True, but member Paleoichneum is the best candidate (aside from member exchemist) that has been proposed up to now (for reasons you and member Flick Montana have given). Of course, if he does not want to do it (since member exchemist called it "a fairly thankless task"), then we ought to look for someone else.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  36. #35  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Just going back in history for previous Moderator selections came across this interesting thread: Moderator selection
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
     

  37. #36  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    I have opened up an official nomination thread here.
    Moderator nominations - official thread
    If you made a nomination on this thread, please re-submit it on the official thread.
    The unofficial thread will now be closed, to avoid any confusion.
     

Similar Threads

  1. Moderator nominations
    By Harold14370 in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: May 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM
  2. how do you become a moderator?
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 16th, 2010, 05:54 AM
  3. Moderator Nominations
    By scientstphilosophertheist in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •