Notices
Results 1 to 49 of 49
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By tk421
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By scoobydoo1
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 2 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot

Thread: Being redirected when trying to get here

  1. #1 Being redirected when trying to get here 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    This is the only place it is happening and I had to go the long way around to get here now. I'm being redirected to a advertising site. I just tried again and now it seems to have stopped. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening to me or are there others here being affected?


    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    This is the only place it is happening and I had to go the long way around to get here now. I'm being redirected to a advertising site. I just tried again and now it seems to have stopped. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening to me or are there others here being affected?
    It may be due to the recent hacker incident. Try this.

    Site down ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    This is the only place it is happening and I had to go the long way around to get here now. I'm being redirected to a advertising site. I just tried again and now it seems to have stopped. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening to me or are there others here being affected?
    It may be due to the recent hacker incident. Try this.

    Site down ?
    clearing the cache and the cookies didn't work for me. I just had to wait it out
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    clearing the cache and the cookies didn't work for me. I just had to wait it out
    Which desktop/mobile phone browser are you using when still experiencing the hijack?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    I have noted the sought of issue is commonly a local issue, ( The device YOU are using is corrupted )
    ~ www.thescienceforum.com ~ will get you here as that IS the web address...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    This is the only place it is happening and I had to go the long way around to get here now. I'm being redirected to a advertising site. I just tried again and now it seems to have stopped. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening to me or are there others here being affected?
    It may be due to the recent hacker incident. Try this.

    Site down ?
    clearing the cache and the cookies didn't work for me. I just had to wait it out
    Depending on the source of the problem, it may help also to flush the DNS cache. I more or less automatically do that in addition to the flush-browser-cache-and-cookies-and-restart-browser ritual when this sort of thing happens. Doesn't always solve the problem, but I feel better anyway.
    scoobydoo1 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    clearing the cache and the cookies didn't work for me. I just had to wait it out
    Which desktop/mobile phone browser are you using when still experiencing the hijack?
    Chrome desktop.
    I've even run the Norton disc cleanup and what not as well. It's working fine again now, but man, what a pain in the butt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Chrome desktop.
    I've even run the Norton disc cleanup and what not as well. It's working fine again now, but man, what a pain in the butt.
    Did you experience the hijacking using other non-chrome browsers?

    I'm just wondering if the ineffectiveness of the cleanup recommendations pertains specifically to chrome in your case. This might help eliminate the possibility of whether there is a malware embedded your desktop or browser. since I was able to regain access to the forums on my two of my desktop's firefox browsers and mobile phone's safari by clearing cache and cookies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Well it has stopped for the time being.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    popads.net now, even more annoying than the gadfly redirect was.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Chrome desktop.
    I've even run the Norton disc cleanup and what not as well. It's working fine again now, but man, what a pain in the butt.
    Did you experience the hijacking using other non-chrome browsers?

    I'm just wondering if the ineffectiveness of the cleanup recommendations pertains specifically to chrome in your case. This might help eliminate the possibility of whether there is a malware embedded your desktop or browser. since I was able to regain access to the forums on my two of my desktop's firefox browsers and mobile phone's safari by clearing cache and cookies.
    I hadn't tried any other browsers. I only have Chrome and Explorer downloaded on my machine. I suppose I could D/L another one. hopefully I don't have malware on my machine. that would mean Norton is not doing it's job
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    It's happening again. This time, it doesn't seem to be stopping after a certain number of pop-ups. At least not for me.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    If you are using FireFox, I recommend installing the NoScript add-on.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Every time I go to another thread or another page of a thread, a new window (not just a tab) opens up in the background. This just started happening this afternoon and only on this site. I'm out of here until this gets resolved.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Understandable.

    But guys, please install adblocker on all your browsers. I haven't seen this problem at all. IN the mean time, we are trying our best to sort the issue.

    https://adblockplus.org/
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,095
    Yeah, being spammed from this site to redirected places. These also include ADULT sites. Please fix as the site is almost unusable as is.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,311
    ^ Hmm... That adblock thingy is pretty cool. Thamks KALSTER!
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    I've been getting it as well. I can get the main T.S.F.com page fine, but when I click anything else my page changes to some advert site. I'm currently using a PS Vita to browse with, and turning off javascript in the settings fixes the issue. I've only noticed it on this site.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,562
    Pop ups are back (briefly) has been fine for the last 4-5 hours since I logged on but just recently had about 5 pop ups when navigating the site.

    Installing adblock now (I'm on a work PC but have managed to con them into giving me admin rights so I'm installing all the bits and pieces I have been meaning to do for ages!)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I've just had half a dozen. The blocker only stopped one of them.

    Back to checking through what's still operating and what's not.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,562
    Pop-Ups are back when browsing the site from my phone and are more persistent than before (last time they went away after ~5 but now they just keep coming...)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,311
    I'm using that AdBlocker that KALSTER linked to. No troubles for me.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,562
    I've installed that on my desktop at work and it's doing the job. I haven't managed to find a version that will work on my phone (admiitedly I haven't looked that hard yet, will spend some time looking).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Adblock+Chrome working for me as well.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Adblock+Chrome working for me as well.
    So the hack into the site has not really been dealt with yet?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    It would seem that our moderators and admin regain control of the site through various means and then before long, the problem returns. It appears to be a game to the hacker. There was almost two days without pop-ups and then they were back again this morning, more persistent than previously.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    It would seem that our moderators and admin regain control of the site through various means and then before long, the problem returns. It appears to be a game to the hacker. There was almost two days without pop-ups and then they were back again this morning, more persistent than previously.
    Unless they are profiting from the ads. Most of these ad-servers offer payments for every time an ad gets clicked so there might be some profit motive here too.
    Of course it is considered abuse of the advertising service so they advertising servers almost always have a promise not to serve ads on hacked sites and have complaint pages to recieve reports of advertising abuse.

    Getting the ads removed still does not fix the hack though. The Admin actually has to repair the security flaws that let the hacker(s) in.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Did anyone else get this pop-up alert?

    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Did anyone else get this pop-up alert?
    It is a fake warning.
    Do not call the number.

    If you suspect that your PC is infected, then run a full scan with your current anti-virus software.
    Do not call phone numbers or download software.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    No, but it looks like either a scam or a piece of malware.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Did anyone else get this pop-up alert?
    It is a fake warning.
    Do not call the number.

    If you suspect that your PC is infected, then run a full scan with your current anti-virus software.
    Do not call phone numbers or download software.
    Yes I've been around for awhile. But I didn't get that message until I tried to add a post to one of my threads and those pop-ups that come up behind your browser and start talking can be quite annoying. Anyway I just saw this thread and wanted to find out if others got that pop-up?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Yes I've been around for awhile. But I didn't get that message until I tried to add a post to one of my threads and those pop-ups that come up behind your browser and start talking can be quite annoying. Anyway I just saw this thread and wanted to find out if others got that pop-up?
    I have ad-blocker, so I don't see any pop-ups.
    But it is just a random advert - although one of the more unpleasant ones.
    Is there something specific about this advert that is making you ask about it?
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Yes I've been around for awhile. But I didn't get that message until I tried to add a post to one of my threads and those pop-ups that come up behind your browser and start talking can be quite annoying. Anyway I just saw this thread and wanted to find out if others got that pop-up?
    I have ad-blocker, so I don't see any pop-ups.
    But it is just a random advert - although one of the more unpleasant ones.
    Is there something specific about this advert that is making you ask about it?
    I was just wondering why I started getting these pop-ups and was suspecting the forum, then I saw this thread. For a long time now I haven't needed any ad blockers, so I am a bit annoyed that my favorite forum seems to be causing the problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    I got the same pop-up, Bad Robot. This is the only site that I have been having such annoyances at which is the reason that I don't want to start down-loading other software (Ad Blocker etc.) that might conflict with our other security measures as installed by hubby who is also the tech support at our store. I am not looking for a 'work-around'. I am looking for secure sites. Obviously, our support staff have been doing their best to deal with the problem but this hacker seems to be unusually persistent.

    It does make me curious as to what the motive would be for disturbing a relatively innocuous website. What is to be gained unless it is personal satisfaction of some sort? Such talent could surely be put to much better use, in my opinion.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I got the same pop-up, Bad Robot. This is the only site that I have been having such annoyances at which is the reason that I don't want to start down-loading other software (Ad Blocker etc.) that might conflict with our other security measures as installed by hubby who is also the tech support at our store. I am not looking for a 'work-around'. I am looking for secure sites. Obviously, our support staff have been doing their best to deal with the problem but this hacker seems to be unusually persistent.

    It does make me curious as to what the motive would be for disturbing a relatively innocuous website. What is to be gained unless it is personal satisfaction of some sort? Such talent could surely be put to much better use, in my opinion.
    If you do not have anti-malware software installed, then your security measures are lacking. Also, Adblocker won't conflict with other software. It is for the specific browser you install it on only. If you want to be free from pop-ups while admin is sorting this out, that is your best bet. Might also be that the malware has embedded itself on your computer and that the site itself might be clean for now. Running anti-malware software like Malwarebytes will sort you out. It is free. So is adblocker.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    If you do not have anti-malware software installed, then your security measures are lacking. Also, Adblocker won't conflict with other software. It is for the specific browser you install it on only. If you want to be free from pop-ups while admin is sorting this out, that is your best bet. Might also be that the malware has embedded itself on your computer and that the site itself might be clean for now. Running anti-malware software like Malwarebytes will sort you out. It is free. So is adblocker.
    I'd just realized that the guide I've previously given was removed along with the thread the hacker deleted. For those of you who are considering adblock plus on Firefox browsers, here are three simple steps for installing addons.

    Step 1: Click Tools and select Add-ons.



    Step 2: Type in the name of the addon you wish to search for.



    Step 3: Press More to read up on what the addon does, and if you are satisfied, press the Install button next to it.

    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Adblock Edge is possibly better, as it appears that Adblock Plus has been selling space on it's whitelist.
    scoobydoo1 likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I got the same pop-up, Bad Robot. This is the only site that I have been having such annoyances at which is the reason that I don't want to start down-loading other software (Ad Blocker etc.) that might conflict with our other security measures as installed by hubby who is also the tech support at our store. I am not looking for a 'work-around'. I am looking for secure sites. Obviously, our support staff have been doing their best to deal with the problem but this hacker seems to be unusually persistent.

    It does make me curious as to what the motive would be for disturbing a relatively innocuous website. What is to be gained unless it is personal satisfaction of some sort? Such talent could surely be put to much better use, in my opinion.
    If you do not have anti-malware software installed, then your security measures are lacking. Also, Adblocker won't conflict with other software. It is for the specific browser you install it on only. If you want to be free from pop-ups while admin is sorting this out, that is your best bet. Might also be that the malware has embedded itself on your computer and that the site itself might be clean for now. Running anti-malware software like Malwarebytes will sort you out. It is free. So is adblocker.
    My argument remains, why should I install something that I do not need for any other site than this one?

    So that I can count how many ads it is blocking in the background?

    That does not change the fact that it is this site that is experiencing the problem. I do appreciate yourself and others pointing out various options including free software, while I reserve the right to determine whether that best suits my preference for what I use this computer for. The busy season is arriving in this part of the world so a bit less time spent on forums might actually be a good thing.

    Besides, all of the 'free' software is also out to gain some advantage so who knows what else one is opening themselves up to by their use?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    My argument remains, why should I install something that I do not need for any other site than this one?
    Because you want to visit this site but do not want to see pop-ups?
    KALSTER likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Adblock Edge is possibly better, as it appears that Adblock Plus has been selling space on it's whitelist.

    Adblock Edge vs Adblock Plus; is Adblock Edge is faster or is it has any advantages over Adblock Plus? : privacy

    Interesting comments. Good catch Redpanda.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    My argument remains, why should I install something that I do not need for any other site than this one?
    Because you want to visit this site but do not want to see pop-ups?
    While I have spent more time on this forum than some others of late, it is not the only site on my dance card.

    Besides, I am just vain enough to think that my small contributions may actually bring some traffic to the places that I visit.

    I leave 'dragon slaying' to you techie sorts. Impress me!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    My argument remains, why should I install something that I do not need for any other site than this one?

    So that I can count how many ads it is blocking in the background?

    That does not change the fact that it is this site that is experiencing the problem. I do appreciate yourself and others pointing out various options including free software, while I reserve the right to determine whether that best suits my preference for what I use this computer for. The busy season is arriving in this part of the world so a bit less time spent on forums might actually be a good thing.

    Besides, all of the 'free' software is also out to gain some advantage so who knows what else one is opening themselves up to by their use?

    Do you notice ads on your web pages and wish they weren't there? I'm not talking pop-ups, just ads taking up space on your web pages. Looks like Adblock Edge will take care of removing them and the only thing you will notice is no ads taking up your web page space. It should be a simple install, customize the options and then it will be out of site along with ads you don't want to see anyway.

    I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

    Took me 3 seconds to download and install as a Firefox add-on (so far so good) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...k-edge/?src=ss
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    It should be a simple install, customize the options...
    Just an extra note - the default settings are pretty spot-on.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    It should be a simple install, customize the options...
    Just an extra note - the default settings are pretty spot-on.
    Went to a few pages to see what happens and it looks like ads that were built into the page are still there. But I didn't get any inserted ads tailored by my browsing history and I have to say that was refreshing for a change.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Apparently one can opt out of the google ads based on search history. I personally pay them no mind and have not done so but a click on the little arrow above the ads took me to this:


    Opt-out settings
    Opt out
    of interest-based
    ads on Google


    Opt out
    of interest-based
    Google ads across the web






    Visit the Consumer Ads Help Center to learn more about how Google serves ads.

    Google adheres to advertising industry privacy standards. To learn about these standards, including how you can opt out of interest-based advertising from Google and other participating companies, visit our About Google Ads page.If you want to permanently opt out of the DoubleClick cookie, you can install the DoubleClick opt out extension.
    ©2014 Google - Google Home - Privacy & Terms - Help
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Apparently one can opt out of the google ads based on search history. I personally pay them no mind and have not done so but a click on the little arrow above the ads took me to this:


    Opt-out settings
    Opt out
    of interest-based
    ads on Google


    Opt out
    of interest-based
    Google ads across the web






    Visit the Consumer Ads Help Center to learn more about how Google serves ads.

    Google adheres to advertising industry privacy standards. To learn about these standards, including how you can opt out of interest-based advertising from Google and other participating companies, visit our About Google Ads page.If you want to permanently opt out of the DoubleClick cookie, you can install the DoubleClick opt out extension.
    ©2014 Google - Google Home - Privacy & Terms - Help
    The adblock edge doesn't require a restart of your browser, but DoubleClick opt out extension does. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not restart my browser anymore than I absolutely have to.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Went to a few pages to see what happens and it looks like ads that were built into the page are still there. But I didn't get any inserted ads tailored by my browsing history and I have to say that was refreshing for a change.
    If you go to somewhere like I Am Bored then the difference is very appreciable.
    Bad Robot and dan hunter like this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Went to a few pages to see what happens and it looks like ads that were built into the page are still there. But I didn't get any inserted ads tailored by my browsing history and I have to say that was refreshing for a change.
    If you go to somewhere like I Am Bored then the difference is very appreciable.
    Interesting link, but didn't notice any annoying ads, But then that's the point right?
    RedPanda likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Just installed the newest version of Firefox this morning (Version 29) and it was worth restarting Firefox.

    Version 29

    To install click on HELP then ABOUT FIREFOX then install it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •