Notices
Results 1 to 33 of 33
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By KALSTER
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 2 Post By sculptor

Thread: Sub Category in General Discussion "The lounge"

  1. #1 Sub Category in General Discussion "The lounge" 
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116
    It seems that a lot of things that are way off topic end up in the trash can rather then being in general discussion, so I suggest "The lounge" no science whatsoever.


    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error; but who does strive to do deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Would probably be considered a waste of bandwidth on a science forum.

    The chat box tends to be a pretty good casual discussion area.


    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    What is wrong with General Discussion for ... general discussion?

    Things generally get moved to Trash as much because of attitude as content.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    There's a lounge on another forum I visit, pretty much isn't used at all. The chat box functions just fine for "lounge" talk.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Agreed with posters 2. 3 and 4.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    general discussion is okay but this is a science forum.while some people post garbage and are so reluctant to corrections,some don't even want to know what's in the mainstream. if you are a moderator what will you do? TRASH!
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    and now guilty of posting a trash article, but at least it is only 70 days old!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    Of my daughter?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    Of my daughter?
    Yea.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    Of my daughter?
    Yea.
    Well I call her bossy girl *Laughing*.....she is smart, (very), and funny, and has a heart of gold and a temper like mine.... a redhead.....and needs to stop telling me how to drive my 1/2 ton p/u truck. I do quite well when I live by myself there driving minus the family critique! Hopefully she'll be moving back to the States in a year. I really can't tell you her name, however. You can make one up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    Of my daughter?
    Yea.
    Well I call her bossy girl *Laughing*.....she is smart, (very), and funny, and has a heart of gold and a temper like mine.... a redhead.....and needs to stop telling me how to drive my 1/2 ton p/u truck. I do quite well when I live by myself there driving minus the family critique! Hopefully she'll be moving back to the States in a year. I really can't tell you her name, however. You can make one up.
    That fair enough Ƒor Me.

    i begin to wonder if тнιѕ general discussion idea is good after all. cos am enjoying тнιѕ!
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/JMHI2013.jpg

    this is my daughter and I...last time we saw each other....

    she works in Zurich....Mom was happy to see her
    What's the name? i actually saved it.

    i hope its okay since this is a general discussion!
    Of my daughter?
    Yea.
    Well I call her bossy girl *Laughing*.....she is smart, (very), and funny, and has a heart of gold and a temper like mine.... a redhead.....and needs to stop telling me how to drive my 1/2 ton p/u truck. I do quite well when I live by myself there driving minus the family critique! Hopefully she'll be moving back to the States in a year. I really can't tell you her name, however. You can make one up.
    That fair enough Ƒor Me.

    i begin to wonder if тнιѕ general discussion idea is good after all. cos am enjoying тнιѕ!

    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Yea,it will bring some kind of non-scientific bond.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Yea,it will bring some kind of non-scientific bond.
    chuckle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,917
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Yea,it will bring some kind of non-scientific bond.
    James or this one?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Mutual bond.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Yea,it will bring some kind of non-scientific bond.
    James or this one?
    I like!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Football and many other athletic games get different countries together,it reduces the start of a war or other form of dispute!.

    Science may do thesame.(Atleast to those who love science)
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,917
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Football and many other athletic games get different countries together,it reduces the start of a war or other form of dispute!.
    Unless you're from South America.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Football and many other athletic games get different countries together,it reduces the start of a war or other form of dispute!.
    Unless you're from South America.
    What happens if am not?
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,917
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    What happens if am not?
    Did you check the link?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Football and many other athletic games get different countries together,it reduces the start of a war or other form of dispute!.
    Unless you're from South America.
    What happens if am not?
    Sir Ducky is going to turn into foie gras....one of my FAVORITE meals
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Nothing useful about science creating a bond
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    ... Well I call her bossy girl ... she ... needs to stop telling me how to drive my 1/2 ton p/u truck. ... .
    A dozen years ago, I bolted ISIS to the camper top on my truck and my sons and I headed for Sturgis. After a couple hundred miles, I crawled into the back seat and dozed off as my son drove. I awoke, and looked at the speedometer---90mph, and said "I'd prefer it if you kept the speed to 70"
    my son said,
    "Driving is a lot easier without your help dad!"

    lesson learned

    http://www.sculpture.net/community/a...achmentid=1043


    .................
    Sturgis is where I got the commission for the mermaid-my avatar
    KALSTER and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    I do not, and will not buy into that.

    If another does that, it diminishes them, not me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    ... Well I call her bossy girl ... she ... needs to stop telling me how to drive my 1/2 ton p/u truck. ... .
    A dozen years ago, I bolted ISIS to the camper top on my truck and my sons and I headed for Sturgis. After a couple hundred miles, I crawled into the back seat and dozed off as my son drove. I awoke, and looked at the speedometer---90mph, and said "I'd prefer it if you kept the speed to 70"
    my son said,
    "Driving is a lot easier without your help dad!"

    lesson learned

    http://www.sculpture.net/community/a...achmentid=1043


    .................
    Sturgis is where I got the commission for the mermaid-my avatar
    I love it!!!

    I say this to my children when they visit me in Hawai'i! *L* but Dad is changed to kids!!

    They are always telling me how to drive!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    I do not, and will not buy into that.

    If another does that, it diminishes them, not me.
    It isn't something you have to buy into. It happens. Whether it bothers you or not is up to you. If it doesn't, more power to you. But more often than not, even those who say it says more about the instigator, and I agree that it does, do still tend to get upset by it.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    I do not, and will not buy into that.

    If another does that, it diminishes them, not me.
    It isn't something you have to buy into. It happens. Whether it bothers you or not is up to you. If it doesn't, more power to you. But more often than not, even those who say it says more about the instigator, and I agree that it does, do still tend to get upset by it.
    I have always been a very open book.

    It is not my way to either be stupid, or not be myself. What could ANYONE ever possibly use against you, if you have nothing to hide?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    I do not, and will not buy into that.

    If another does that, it diminishes them, not me.
    It isn't something you have to buy into. It happens. Whether it bothers you or not is up to you. If it doesn't, more power to you. But more often than not, even those who say it says more about the instigator, and I agree that it does, do still tend to get upset by it.
    I have always been a very open book.

    It is not my way to either be stupid, or not be myself. What could ANYONE ever possibly use against you, if you have nothing to hide?
    I agree with you. I am usually a pretty open book too. You will see that I often tell lots of details about myself that others would keep private. But it doesn't mean that people don't attempt to use the personal details that I reveal to hurt me. It doesn't usually work because I usually don't care what people think of me personally. But I have my buttons like anyone else. They just aren't located where most people's are.

    I have not been intending to tell you that you should not be yourself or that you should hide who you are from people.I have definitely never suggested that you should be stupid. I was simply making an observation because some people do get really upset over personal details they have revealed being brought up by other persons in other threads. I have been accused of using someone's personal history against them before when it was them that brought it up as justification for a point of view. Then they went on an emotional tirade.

    Maybe I should just keep my observations to myself.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I think it is in the sense of, that you get to kind of just get to know others.

    I think it might help when you have an inkling of another's sense of self when you respond.
    That seems all nice warm and fuzzy, but it's too often that if you reveal too much about yourself on a personal level, it's just a matter of time before someone takes your personal information and uses it to attack you in some other thread.
    I do not, and will not buy into that.

    If another does that, it diminishes them, not me.
    It isn't something you have to buy into. It happens. Whether it bothers you or not is up to you. If it doesn't, more power to you. But more often than not, even those who say it says more about the instigator, and I agree that it does, do still tend to get upset by it.
    I have always been a very open book.

    It is not my way to either be stupid, or not be myself. What could ANYONE ever possibly use against you, if you have nothing to hide?
    I agree with you. I am usually a pretty open book too. You will see that I often tell lots of details about myself that others would keep private. But it doesn't mean that people don't attempt to use the personal details that I reveal to hurt me. It doesn't usually work because I usually don't care what people think of me personally. But I have my buttons like anyone else. They just aren't located where most people's are.

    I have not been intending to tell you that you should not be yourself or that you should hide who you are from people.I have definitely never suggested that you should be stupid. I was simply making an observation because some people do get really upset over personal details they have revealed being brought up by other persons in other threads. I have been accused of using someone's personal history against them before when it was them that brought it up as justification for a point of view. Then they went on an emotional tirade.

    Maybe I should just keep my observations to myself.
    No. I appreciate your observations.

    I have been in chat since 1994.....message rooms, which are basically what forums are....for a long time.

    I feel if someone wishes to use something about me to demean me, then *chuckle*, they have just shown their lack of character. It's on their head, not mine. I have always walked to my own little drummer.....never will stop that! You have to be true to yourself and you cannot make everyone like you or be happy.

    Just be myself. Respect others. Do the best that I can to be a caring good human being, who certainly has her share of flaws....sing till my voice gives out and dance till my back puts me in a chair. It is our personal responsibility to attempt to enjoy and live our own lives. No one, in here, any other forum, or even in REAL LIFE TIME, can ever take that away from you, unless you let them.

    Now I'll get off my personal opinion soapbox.....ON THIS SUBJECT! *chuckle*
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: October 9th, 2014, 05:50 AM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: July 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
  4. "Don't Become a Scientist" - article discussion
    By ScienceFictionNut in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: December 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
  5. a discussion on "time"
    By theQuestIsNotOver in forum Physics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •