Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Neverfly
  • 4 Post By John Galt
  • 2 Post By Ascended
  • 3 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By marnixR

Thread: Censorship

  1. #1 Censorship 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    This forum practices censorship, why is that? If you consider someones to be incorrect you have nothing to fear, you can use your own arguments to disprove them. The only time censorship is necessary is when the censors fear what they censor, the censors fear they may be wrong.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor river_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,517
    Obvious troll is obvious


    As is often the case with technical subjects we are presented with an unfortunate choice: an explanation that is accurate but incomprehensible, or comprehensible but wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Grockle View Post
    This forum practices censorship, why is that?
    When the subject matter is offensive to most viewers? I'm sure something offends you as much. Should the few be entitled to offend the many?
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    I disagree with both. A troll is clearly defined and after 6 posts and a valid point that he believes an uncomfortable topic should still be scientifically "breachable." But while valid, some things just need no real discussion. Is it censorship? Yes, kinda. But over-all, this forum censors very, very little. Man.... look at some of what I've said...
    Does it apply censorship? Yes, to a very slight degree when a topic is just too untouchable.

    But over-all, you won't be censored very much. Less than you would most any other forum I've experienced.
    Sometimes, you just gotta take a little bit of censorship and I know you don't know me... But if you did, it might raise your eyebrows that I ever would say such a thing.

    I say it because it is true.

    Try taking a look at it from the other side and consider whether that censorship is not what you wanted but also understandable and consider other topics and threads and in time, when you've developed some rapport, maybe create a group for a private discussion of something scientific but politically uncomfortable (For some, it's whether races show behavioral differences or some such) and see how it fares between you and others.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious
    Just because you disagree with someone dosent make them a troll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grockle View Post
    This forum practices censorship, why is that?
    When the subject matter is offensive to most viewers? I'm sure something offends you as much. Should the few be entitled to offend the many?
    Yes, there are things which offend me. But unless they are imposed upon me I am content to avoid them. My thread may have offended you, but you saw the title and knew it would offend you. You chose to click on it and be offended!

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    some things just need no real discussion.
    Like the rule of a tyrant. What right do they have to discuss my right to rule over them?

    This forum is not conducive to discussion or creativity. It is a stagnant pool for individuals who only want reassurance that they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Grockle View Post
    Yes, there are things which offend me. But unless they are imposed upon me I am content to avoid them. My thread may have offended you, but you saw the title and knew it would offend you. You chose to click on it and be offended!
    Good point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grockle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    some things just need no real discussion.
    Like the rule of a tyrant. What right do they have to discuss my right to rule over them?

    This forum is not conducive to discussion or creativity. It is a stagnant pool for individuals who only want reassurance that they are right.
    I agree with your indignation. Thing is, I see it as you do. I think that even untouchables should be allowed to be hashed out.
    In this, you and are are not so different. And were it me, I'd say what you're saying. I'd fight it out.

    It is not me, I have now the advantage of being outside and looking in- not as influenced by my emotions and I can tell you- I have fought this fight. And I learned these folks are not tyrants- though they can appear to be.

    I've cussed them out and bucked them. Insulted them. Questioned their motives, decisions, actions... and yet, they've handled it all and I remain here, not because I can, but because I like that I can and I choose to. It's a good forum. People like you and I can, at times get up in arms. And sometimes, that may be valid. Maybe sometimes, it can be an overreaction. But think about it...

    If you were censored... wouldn't this thread have already been locked? If they were tyrants, wouldn't you have been silenced?

    Go over my posting history. I am not one to defend others on such charges unless I believe they are worthy of it. I have made similar charges against them.
    Having done so, I choose to defend them now, even if I disagree over a particular bit. Because they are not tyrants, at all. Maybe you disagree with the locking of the thread. Maybe that looks tyrannical. But they had a reason, just as you had a reason to make the thread and those reasons conflict with eachother.
    You've got six posts.
    Give it a chance.

    I agree that this does not constitute a troll. It constitutes a person that brought up a rather questionable topic and asked about it scientifically and then was outraged that it got shut down.

    Another important point- this is not about whether you can win or lose this fight. It's about whether you can present a valid reason for them to believe that topic will not spin out of control among human beings that while scientifically minded, have emotional responses and are not always scientifically minded. A thread like that would struggle heavily with that problem. It's one they must consider- over your indignation at its closure- for the good of the forum. Again, odd words from me, but I'm aware of it even if I don't always agree with it.
    It's not a win/lose situation- it's a very touchy one and would need a great deal of finesse.
    And maybe certain members here, such as myself, lack finesse.

    Again, I encourage you to be understanding as much as you are outraged and consider the other side. And just give it some time.

    I won't post anymore on this if I can show some self control. Because I'm putting my foot in my mouth and making a fool of myself in the process. As you ask others to consider your point of view- I ask you consider others points of view for just a little while.

    ETA:
    I think the topic you chose is an interesting one. But I'm also a father. And I can guarantee you, my emotions WILL get in the way of any scientific logic I could muster on that topic. It would take only a very subtle suggestion to send me into Primal Protective Parent Mode. Because I am a human parent above any logic, any science, any opinion- My concern for the welfare of my sons wellbeing will overwhelm it all. Feel free to point out that's part of the topic- but for the forum, it would be a series of reactions they would have to deal with. In a perfect world, on a perfect forum, maybe we could all restrain ourselves at the suggestion that a 70 year old man could entice my nine year old impressionable, inexperienced son - we are not that perfect. I am not that perfect.
    Not
    Even
    Close.
    Last edited by Neverfly; February 28th, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    Frankly, I didn't know the forum practices censorship. I've never been censored. The only real reasons for censorship should be for children and views being forced upon you in my opinion. Even those aren't tenable in all situations. Honest discussion is vital for society.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Yes, we have censorship. That shouldn't come as a surprise.

    This one was a close call. It didn't help that your topic read like some sort of a manifesto. It did not bode well for a scientific treatment of the subject.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    I have used foul language on the forum (I think it has its uses) and I have censored foul language on this and other forums. So, yes we do censor certain things.

    If someone comes on promoting violence and terrorist activites and provided instructions for making bombs, that would be censored immediately.

    Note that Grockle has not been censored. His original posts are still there for all to read. Censorship would involve the deletion of the posts. All that has been said is "No, we're not going to have a thread promoting pedophilia."

    And, as Harold said above, the OP came across as exactly that, not as an objective appeal to explore objectively aspects of age of consent laws and cultural responses to the issue. I would have no trouble composing an OP that did not get shut down and allowed the topic to be discussed properly.

    In short, I see nothing to get excited about here. Move along. Nothing to see.
    Lynx_Fox, Strange, tk421 and 1 others like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore Phlogistician's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I All that has been said is "No, we're not going to have a thread promoting pedophilia."
    Thank god for that. Over at Sciforums, one of the mods got into TWO separate debates with some pro-paedophilia whackjobs, he didn't seem to realise those guys were probably getting off on the discourse.
    Last edited by Phlogistician; February 28th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,492
    There are certain things that need to discussed only in the right place and context, a general science forum is not the the right place for such subjects, they should be discussed on only professional psychology forums where trained professionals are on hand to offer the correct psycholigical help to some of those that will probarbly require it. Also discussing on a general board such as this would present many of the guests and members with the impression that the management are happy to provide a platform for questioning the morality of the subject, which would most certainly be damaging for membership and give the forum an unjustly deserved bad reputation, so it seems the decision taken was very sensible and quite correct imho.
    Phlogistician and John Galt like this.
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

    Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    If discussing the pro's and con's of pedophilia is how we make this place more open to discussion, I'd rather spend an eternity explaining quantum dynamics to theorist.
    Strange, tk421 and RedPanda like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    It is not censorship. The owners and administrators of the forum have every right to decide what material is discussed and displayed on the forum. Censorship would imply you had some rights of free speech here. You don't. If you don't like it then there are plenty of other places on the Internet.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    of course this forum applies censorship when it matters

    have a look at the following :

    medicine : Seeking personal Health Advice? WARNING: READ HERE FIRST

    Although we encourage discussion about various aspects of health we must strongly advise you against using this forum as a source of sound medical advice.
    chemistry : Please read before posting in this forum

    This forum will not tolerate any discussion of activities that are potentially harmful to oneself or anyone else.
    your post falls under a similar heading, apart from the fact that we hadn't explicitly stickied it - maybe we should (although tbh most people wouldn't have any need for such a piece of advice + those who do we probably don't want to attract to this forum)
    Strange likes this.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
  2. fraud by censorship in science
    By gaby de wilde in forum Criminology and Forensic Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM
  3. Can a true scientific discussion involve censorship?
    By memero in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
  4. Halton Arp and Censorship
    By Mike NS in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: April 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
  5. music censorship
    By AlexP in forum Art and Culture
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: April 1st, 2007, 06:35 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •