Notices
Results 1 to 33 of 33
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By KALSTER
  • 1 Post By Neverfly
  • 1 Post By Neverfly
  • 1 Post By AlexG
  • 1 Post By Markus Hanke
  • 3 Post By SpeedFreek
  • 1 Post By adelady

Thread: Should John Galt Continue as a Moderator

  1. #1 Should John Galt Continue as a Moderator 
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Recently I attacked a former member, Futilitist, characterising him in several negative ways. I applied a self generated one week ban as 'punishment' for that attack. Originally I intended to conduct a poll to find out if members thought this was sufficient, or whether it would be more appropriate to resign as a moderator.

    The response to those observations in another thread (and by pm) produced many encouraging and positive remarks and so I elected not proceed with the poll. Frankly I thought this whole thing was becoming to focused on me and it felt increasingly like self indulgent headline grabbing.

    Unfortunately, one member on that thread has accused me of 'changing my mind' and 'avoiding issues' by cancelling the poll. (I'm paraphrasing what he said.) I am offended by that and so I'm giving all members an opportunity to vote now on my continuing in the moderator role. I trust I've provided sufficient options. (I'll assume anyone who votes for the last item is a fan of Ayn Rand and employ enlightened self interest in how I interpret their intentions.)


     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Yes....now get back to work..or we'll dock your pay!


    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
     

  4. #3  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Er, poll not showing. But yes, you should definitely stay on. This thread was completely unnecessary.
    Halliday and Ascended like this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Frankly I thought this whole thing was becoming to focused on me and it felt increasingly like self indulgent headline grabbing.
    Which makes a lot more sense than the accusations.

    Repeating my vote- stay on.

    I'll regret it later after you ban me.
    epidecus likes this.
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    359
    The internet is a bit wild, lawless, full of anonymous trolls and muppets that need to be reined in so the more modulators out there the better!
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    You have my vote, now where's my bribe?
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    My attempts to add the poll to this thread are being rejected. Sorry about that. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
     

  9. #8  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Neverfly was telling me about the developments in this and I decided to come back for this one post. As it is so rare these days to see authority figures show any sign of personal integrity I felt this was something worth standing up for.

    My vote: Absolutely stay on as moderator!
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    My attempts to add the poll to this thread are being rejected. Sorry about that. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
    You're a moderator and you cannot make a simple poll?

    Incompetent!
    John Galt likes this.
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,907
    Can't comment on the incident with futilist, haven't seen it.

    You can be quite frank john, wait a minute does that make sense? anyway, I find you to be quite reasonable... when you ignore me. No seriously, judging by my experiences with you so far, and by reading many of your posts since i've been here. TSF would be a lesser place without you.

    There is something about the way you speak John which commands respect, and gets results which I beleive are positive for TSF. The same goes for at least a few other Mods.

    I have a lot of admiration and respect for the style employed here, John you are a pioneer.

    I don't want to wade in to the futilist/Galt situation as I know nothing about it. I'm speaking from my personal experiences. You've obviously admitted that you did something wrong, hence you banned yourself... I was wondering where you had gone! it's been a surreal week for me and now that I think about it, maybe your absence has played a part in that.

    I like your democratic aproach to this issue, takes a reasonable amount of courage and confidence.

    However, I don't think it would be right for me to vote without knowing what has happened... even though I know that you have a positive influence in many respects and get my vote for that reason. You would have to have been a complete expletive towards futilist with no good reason, for me to change my opinion. I doubt this was the case. I can imagine you being a complete expletive but not with out at least some justification.

    No disrespect to Futilist intended, but welcome back JG.
     

  12. #11  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    I think you should put an end to the drama and go back to work. We need moderate moderators.
    Halliday likes this.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,172
    No question, you have got to stay on.
    What makes you think that one slip of the tongue warrants your resignation as moderator ? We are all just human, and each and everyone of us has that one member/topic who/which pushes our buttons in all the wrong ways. I'd say put it behind you and move on. You are an excellent moderator.
    KALSTER likes this.
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I'm giving all members an opportunity to vote now on my continuing in the moderator role.
    Since you are considering taking the community's consensus on your position as moderator, I think it's only appropriate that I ask the following questions. Before you consider answering these questions, I should point out that I ask them not because I am in favor of you giving up your position as a forum moderator, but because I am honestly curious as to why you personally feel that you have behaved inappropriately enough to warrant your consideration in resigning your position.

    Q1. In your professional opinion as a moderator so far, do you consider (and I quote) "'changing my mind' and 'avoiding issues' by cancelling the poll." to be sufficient enough a reason to step down?

    Q2. In your professional opinion as a moderator so far, do you consider your behavior that led to the above accusation to have escaped the notice of your fellow moderators and administrators of this site & forum; that they had/did not intervene should you have indeed stepped out of line and/or abused your position as a member of the moderator team?

    Q3. In your personal opinion as a member of this forum (and not as a moderator), being aware of what has transpired that has led to the creation of this thread and you considering stepping down from your position as moderator; be sufficient reason enough that you (as a member) to consider John Galt (the Moderator) unfit for the role of a moderator?

    The above questions are largely Yes/No questions, and they are also tailored to help you figure out the answer to your dilemma. You are an adult, and should you feel that you are unfit for the position as a moderator, you would have stepped down without needing to ask the question. That is to say that if you do not trust your own assessment and judgment, trust your fellow moderators and administrators that their intervention would been swift and decisive.


    * I personally do not like all the recent e-drama that took place on the forum, I would prefer that we stick to the discussions about science related subjects/topics, as that is primary reason why I frequent this forum. To learn, to share, and to gather other opinions & perspectives.
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    You are an adult, and should you feel that you are unfit for the position as a moderator, you would have stepped down without needing to ask the question.
    While most of the post seems helpful and all, I disagree with this one bit of wording.

    A mature adult can easily ask others for their opinion on something. To suggest that, as an adult, a person would already be aware of all factors doesn't seem like the best wording.

    Edit to point out the obvious:
    It occurred to me it may be less obvious to some-- This thread was conceived by complaints about John Galt not making the thread.
    Last edited by Neverfly; December 19th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,907
    You know what john... Though my previous comments stand.

    My answer to your question is that you should run for the hills, stand down and find something more rewarding and worthwhile to do with your time. Ofcourse this is just my perspective.

    Happy Christmas and New Year.
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I disagree with this one bit of wording.
    I did not mean any disrespect in phrasing it as I did, but I can see how it may have seemed that I was hinting or questioning John's (im)maturity, of which was not intended to suggest anything of that sort. If I have offended John in any way by that sentence, I apologize.

    I have merely wanted to remind John that he possesses the ability to objectively assess his performance in his moderator duties. And that should he not trust his own assessment, he can always rely on his fellow professional peers (moderators & administrators) to intervene should any lines be crossed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    It occurred to me it may be less obvious to some-- This thread was conceived by complaints about John Galt not making the thread.
    Hence my question Q1 was tailored to address just that. The subtleties of baiting can easily be missed, but if it isn't or hasn't been missed, why bite the hook to appease the bait'er and one's own ego of not wanting to appear to have changed one's mind on a decision? It can or is perfectly reasonable to change one's mind even after an initial decision has been made. There's nothing wrong with changing one's mind after additional deliberation and consideration.
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Hence my question Q1 was tailored to address just that. The subtleties of baiting can easily be missed, but if it isn't or hasn't been missed, why bite the hook to appease the bait'er and one's own ego of not wanting to appear to have changed one's mind on a decision? It can or is perfectly reasonable to change one's mind even after an initial decision has been made. There's nothing wrong with changing one's mind after additional deliberation and consideration.
    I'm going to give my two bits here. Because I fall for bait quite often.

    When another poster baits you, you are left with leaving it unaddressed, unanswered and that can appear as though you're uncertain or weak.
    You can address it and then, take the bait and appear like a person that engages in flaming. It's not always an easy choice and people will choose differently on it.
    Kinda can't win, either way.

    I choose to address it more often than not. I'd rather appear as certain, even if confrontational.
    I've tried to show more restraint on this board than I have on others, however, so I have actually left many unchallenged. I cannot vouch for John Galt. But can give my own experience that others can consider- opportunistically, when they next see me taking bait.
     

  19. #18  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    When another poster baits you, you are left with leaving it unaddressed, unanswered and that can appear as though you're uncertain or weak.
    You can address it and then, take the bait and appear like a person that engages in flaming. It's not always an easy choice and people will choose differently on it.
    Kinda can't win, either way.
    you could acknowledge that you recognise the bait for what it is, and state that you've made a conscious decision to walk away from it
    at times there's satisfaction in rising above the feud
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    It's as much of a catch-22. They then claim that they never intended to bait you at all.
     

  21. #20  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    I expect you to report in for duty on Dec. 26th at 7:23 a.m.

    The lengths that some people will go to, to get time off.
     

  22. #21  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    It's as much of a catch-22. They then claim that they never intended to bait you at all.
    just laugh and walk away

    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
     

  23. #22  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,786
    Down with self enforced exile!

    John Galt should remain a moderator.

    Also, seagypsy should continue to post in this forum.

    Everyone needs to get a sense of perspective here.

    Happy Christmas.
    MacGyver1968, KALSTER and Neverfly like this.
     

  24. #23  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Everyone needs to get a sense of perspective here.
    agreed
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
     

  25. #24  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Q1. In your professional opinion as a moderator so far, do you consider (and I quote) "'changing my mind' and 'avoiding issues' by cancelling the poll." to be sufficient enough a reason to step down?
    A. Those were not the reasons to consider stepping down. The reason to consider stepping down was my attack on Futilitist. I do not think that attack warranted me stepping down, but - and this is the crux of the matter - my opinion in this is irrelevant. The opinion of the members is relevant. The proposed poll was one way of determining that opinion.
    B. I did not change my mind about conducting a poll: the members changed it for me by posting (and pm'ing) what amounted to an informal poll that confirmed my own opinion.
    C. It was the accusation by Boing that I was equivocating and avoiding issues that led to the interminable extension of this discussion into this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Q2. In your professional opinion as a moderator so far, do you consider your behavior that led to the above accusation to have escaped the notice of your fellow moderators and administrators of this site & forum; that they had/did not intervene should you have indeed stepped out of line and/or abused your position as a member of the moderator team?
    I have observed moderators on other forums find it difficult not to rally around fellow mods even when those mods are guilty of inappropriate behaviour. I did not wish to subject my colleagues here to divided loyalties. Unfortunately the route taken seems to be subjecting them and other members to a really boring and trivial discussion of ultimately trivial 'social' issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Q3. In your personal opinion as a member of this forum (and not as a moderator), being aware of what has transpired that has led to the creation of this thread and you considering stepping down from your position as moderator; be sufficient reason enough that you (as a member) to consider John Galt (the Moderator) unfit for the role of a moderator?
    .
    Absolutely not. I would just like the stupid bastard to stop going on and on about it. His mea culpa is becoming tiresome.

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    The above questions are largely Yes/No questions,.
    In your dreams!

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    they are also tailored to help you figure out the answer to your dilemma. You are an adult, and should you feel that you are unfit for the position as a moderator, you would have stepped down without needing to ask the question. That is to say that if you do not trust your own assessment and judgment, trust your fellow moderators and administrators that their intervention would been swift and decisive.
    I appreciate the intention, but I do not have a dilemma. I also do not have the right to make the decision on the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    * I personally do not like all the recent e-drama that took place on the forum, I would prefer that we stick to the discussions about science related subjects/topics, as that is primary reason why I frequent this forum. To learn, to share, and to gather other opinions & perspectives.
    Seconded.
     

  26. #25  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    I too thought the earlier responses made this unnecessary.

    So stay on.
    Paleoichneum likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,565
    Stay one please, I have been here for several occasions of you being a mod/respected member, and I have never had any problems with your methodology. You can be brusk at times, but usually in situations where its called for. From what iahve been seeing Boing is more and more viewing his/her purpose on this forum to be disruptive and argue against anything posted by several members.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,812
    John....I'm only worried about the loss of your derisive wit. I hope it was only temporary.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Ok.
    So many people have given shiny reviews. Not one dissenter that says John Galt should step down.

    So...

    John Galt, I vote you step down immediately. In addition, you should be chained to the forum server, with your tongue wired to the reboot switch so that when the server goes down- you really feel it.

    In addition to that, I just want to say you're a terrible horrible no good very bad man. You smell, too.

    Sorry- all that positivity just begged for someone to be different. Sadly, I'm out-voted.
     

  30. #29  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Ok.
    So many people have given shiny reviews. Not one dissenter that says John Galt should step down.

    So...

    John Galt, I vote you step down immediately. In addition, you should be chained to the forum server, with your tongue wired to the reboot switch so that when the server goes down- you really feel it.

    In addition to that, I just want to say you're a terrible horrible no good very bad man. You smell, too.

    Sorry- all that positivity just begged for someone to be different. Sadly, I'm out-voted.
    At the risk of derailing this thread, allow me to deal with this annoying insect...

     

  31. #30  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    You'll need a bigger one than that...
     

  32. #31  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    OK...I think there is overwhelming response to John continuing as a mod.....so shut the fuck up....and do your job.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
     

  33. #32  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    OK...I think there is overwhelming response to John continuing as a mod.....so shut the fuck up....and do your job.
    I'm still waiting for my airline ticket so I can come and mow your lawn. I don't want to find a two week growth.

    Thanks to all. Will another mod now close this please.
     

  34. #33  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Done.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •