Notices

View Poll Results: Is the "Dodge City" idea a good one?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 62.50%
  • No

    2 12.50%
  • Yes, but with a few changes (explain)

    4 25.00%
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Dodge City

  1. #1 Dodge City 
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    I proposed an idea that was nicknamed "Dodge City" in another thread.

    The theory is to have an additional sub forum that is free from moderation with the following exceptions.

    Excessive profanity
    Pornography
    Illegal information (Bomb building, etc)

    Members would be required to have a minimum amount of posts to even be allowed to see this sub forum. Members would also have the understanding that they are not protected from insults, badgering, name calling, belittlement, etc. It would pretty much be an enter at your own risk sub forum and would come with some forum of disclaimer stating such.

    The question is then, does it sound like a good idea. What should the minimum amount of posts be to be allowed to view and post to this area. At what level would intervention be required from a moderator or administrator (If any) ?

    This would be the freedom from persecution by admins or moderators section. While I don't see evidence that this is happening I also know it would help put an end to such accusations. Threads could be moved to "Dodge City" instead of being removed from circulation if the need should arise.

    So, I'm looking for feedback on this matter.

    Please note that member who are not posting in "Dodge City" would need to change their forum etiquette back to the rules of the forum once they leave "Dodge City". In other words you would have to act like proper ladies and gentlemen. The tolerance for bad behavior in the rest of the sub forums might also decrease. We might simply say, if you want to keep smoking go to the smoking cube


    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    I think it's a fantastic idea, and the best use for the subforum would be to send flame-wars that started out as legitimate threads. I think it's also important that the threads that end up there had at one point some meaning. Pseudoscience that turns into name-calling, religious threads(Non-preaching), generally unscientific threads, and those that aim at baiting.

    Post counts of around 100-500 should be the minimum, and I feel that it should be this way more because of the tendency to post those controversial and baiting material by newcomers, and I feel they should prove their worth BEFORE being able to enter into a backstreets debate forum. It should be a relatively privileged sub-fora and not have newbies of any kind. On that note, I also think a time gap from start date should also be imposed, especially if the post count limit is set low. That way, you also keep out the prolific posters who merely try to get their post count as high as they can to feel "better" about themselves and superior.

    I think that posts made to explicitly assault another poster without provocation of any kind, Preachy posts, and victimization posts where the poster only bemoans themselves and tries to gather sympathy should be sent to the trash, instead. I agree that the other forums should be more strict as a result, and should resort to sending posts that break the rules to either the trash or "Dodge City". Administrative intervention only on request, and only for something that is truly reprehensible (Spam, porn, extreme vulgarity, etc.).


    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    I think it's a good idea. It would pretty much supersede the trash forum, then, as I see it. I don't think I would be sending anything to the trash if it could go to Dodge City instead, unless it would be posts from new members who are not allowed there. Anything that contains profanity, porn, or illegal info would get deleted.

    If it was up to me, I'd block posting in Dodge City by new members, but not viewing. It could be fairly entertaining and might attract some new members.
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    594
    I also like the idea.

    However, I think a "Dodge City" type of freedom may be appropriate for the "study of religion forum".

    Otherwise that forum should have co-moderators of equal power. I don't disagree that religion can be studied scientifically. However, science requires some protection from bias to be useful.

    I don't think the post count should be too high. I don't even have 200 posts myself.

    Some people see this as a place for cage fighting type of debate. However, for me it would be more for people who may debate, or may just want to explore something without worrying about breaking a host of rules.
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Something along the lines of 50-100 post sounds more reasonable, 500 is quite a lot of posts.
     

  7. #6  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    If it was up to me, I'd block posting in Dodge City by new members, but not viewing.
    +1
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    I agree with inow and harold on the viewing but not posting point.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  9. #8  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Sounds a great idea. Then you can see my dark side

    I agree on perhaps 200-300+ posts to post in the new subforum, 200 posts aren't that many.

    How about a 'red light city' for the porn then?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
     

  11. #10  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
    there's nothing wrong with the odd swearword
    + be aware of the unintended consequences of deleting / changing a list of banned words - i've seen a forum where Dick Cheney became **** Cheney
    + they're easy to circumvent : if i tell you to f*ck off, you still will know what i mean, won't you ?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantime
    How about a 'red light city' for the porn then?
    That comes with added legal problems, you'd have to have a system of age verification. Anyway, I'd rather have the forum continue to be relatively work safe, especially since if it wasn't I'd have to find something else to do when I'm supposed to be working.
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
    there's nothing wrong with the odd swearword
    + be aware of the unintended consequences of deleting / changing a list of banned words - i've seen a forum where Dick Cheney became **** Cheney
    + they're easy to circumvent : if i tell you to f*ck off, you still will know what i mean, won't you ?
    Then highlight the posts with symbols in words (that are somewhat identical to swearwords)?
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
    there's nothing wrong with the odd swearword
    + be aware of the unintended consequences of deleting / changing a list of banned words - i've seen a forum where Dick Cheney became **** Cheney
    + they're easy to circumvent : if i tell you to f*ck off, you still will know what i mean, won't you ?
    Then highlight the posts with symbols in words (that are somewhat identical to swearwords)?
    Swearing isn't the problem though. The majority of posters here have used swearwords, and in my recollection, I've never heard any complaints about their use until now.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  15. #14  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Fuck yeah!
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
    there's nothing wrong with the odd swearword
    + be aware of the unintended consequences of deleting / changing a list of banned words - i've seen a forum where Dick Cheney became **** Cheney
    + they're easy to circumvent : if i tell you to f*ck off, you still will know what i mean, won't you ?
    Then highlight the posts with symbols in words (that are somewhat identical to swearwords)?
    Swearing isn't the problem though. The majority of posters here have used swearwords, and in my recollection, I've never heard any complaints about their use until now.
    If I use them I get banned.
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    I agree with Harold that all should be able to view this sub forum. I can personally speak for a friend who has never registered but reads the forums regularly.

    As for a min number of posts, I'm not sure that's a great idea. If someone wants to tell the world about his god who created the world in 7 hours out of custard, well personally i would love to hear it, but if you but a post limit they will just put it somewhere else on the forum. The moderators would then naturally put the thread in Dodge City and because they wouldn't be ablr to post there, we would never been able ask them any questions. If the limit is as high as 100-500, nobody will use it. People who post odd, controversial ideas rarely reach that number of posts.

    Why not merge the Trash Can and Pseudoscience sub forums into one big free for all with the only moderation being against porn, commercial or illegal posts?
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    Why not merge the Trash Can and Pseudoscience sub forums into one big free for all with the only moderation being against porn, commercial or illegal posts?
    Leave pseudoscience alone. -Just because you're in a dictatorship that wants to delete all controversial theories and add them to their own, doesn't mean we are.
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    My idea is that you do like on mathisfunforum. You simply automatically edit the swearwords into a non swear word
    there's nothing wrong with the odd swearword
    + be aware of the unintended consequences of deleting / changing a list of banned words - i've seen a forum where Dick Cheney became **** Cheney
    + they're easy to circumvent : if i tell you to f*ck off, you still will know what i mean, won't you ?
    Then highlight the posts with symbols in words (that are somewhat identical to swearwords)?
    Swearing isn't the problem though. The majority of posters here have used swearwords, and in my recollection, I've never heard any complaints about their use until now.
    If I use them I get banned.
    Fuck, fuckitty fuck fuck fuck. I'm not banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    Why not merge the Trash Can and Pseudoscience sub forums into one big free for all with the only moderation being against porn, commercial or illegal posts?
    The trash can is useful, in that it deletes threads off the servers in a timely manner, freeing up some bandwidth. I'd leave all of the subfora alone, and just make another. They all still serve a purpose, and Dodge City would serve a purpose that none of the current subfora serve.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  20. #19  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    As for a min number of posts, I'm not sure that's a great idea. If someone wants to tell the world about his god who created the world in 7 hours out of custard, well personally i would love to hear it, but if you but a post limit they will just put it somewhere else on the forum. The moderators would then naturally put the thread in Dodge City and because they wouldn't be ablr to post there, we would never been able ask them any questions. If the limit is as high as 100-500, nobody will use it. People who post odd, controversial ideas rarely reach that number of posts.
    I think the point of the forum on the whole is to encourage scientific thought and discussion, where having posters devoted to "Dodge City" wouldn't necessarily encourage the scientific presence. These posters who only post in Dodge city wouldn't be an attribute to any part of the main forum.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    As for a min number of posts, I'm not sure that's a great idea. If someone wants to tell the world about his god who created the world in 7 hours out of custard, well personally i would love to hear it, but if you but a post limit they will just put it somewhere else on the forum. The moderators would then naturally put the thread in Dodge City and because they wouldn't be ablr to post there, we would never been able ask them any questions. If the limit is as high as 100-500, nobody will use it. People who post odd, controversial ideas rarely reach that number of posts.
    I think the point of the forum on the whole is to encourage scientific thought and discussion, where having posters devoted to "Dodge City" wouldn't necessarily encourage the scientific presence. These posters who only post in Dodge city wouldn't be an attribute to any part of the main forum.
    Kindly devoting AM thank you for letting me ease my overburdened swear-pouch.
    It's appreciated.
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    I think the point of the forum on the whole is to encourage scientific thought and discussion, where having posters devoted to "Dodge City" wouldn't necessarily encourage the scientific presence. These posters who only post in Dodge city wouldn't be an attribute to any part of the main forum.
    Fair point, but we already have such people here. Coberst for one.

    If we place a post limit on people, we won't be able to encourage or discuss with such posters. Any threads moved there would end and most of the members who reach the magic number of posts wouldn't start a thread there in the first place.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    I think the point of the forum on the whole is to encourage scientific thought and discussion, where having posters devoted to "Dodge City" wouldn't necessarily encourage the scientific presence. These posters who only post in Dodge city wouldn't be an attribute to any part of the main forum.
    Fair point, but we already have such people here. Coberst for one.

    If we place a post limit on people, we won't be able to encourage or discuss with such posters. Any threads moved there would end and most of the members who reach the magic number of posts wouldn't start a thread there in the first place.
    you have a point, but keeping inane posters around just because they post in Dodge City is, imo, keeping around an even more useless coberst. At least Coberst raises somewhat interesting topics.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

     

  24. #23  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    I think the point of the forum on the whole is to encourage scientific thought and discussion, where having posters devoted to "Dodge City" wouldn't necessarily encourage the scientific presence. These posters who only post in Dodge city wouldn't be an attribute to any part of the main forum.
    Fair point, but we already have such people here. Coberst for one.


    I disagree, he posts in every sub forum except for one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Fuck, fuckitty fuck fuck fuck. I'm not banned.
    True, but you still have to go sit in the corner...
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    97
    An interesting idea, which could turn out to be quite entertaining.

    However, perpetual flame wars will probably in one way or another spill into other threads. Just because you go back to the moderated forum doesn't mean you still remember "that rude idiot from the global warming vs scientology thread" when you get into another discussion.

    Also without moderation I guess we would get quite a few threads ending up in lolcats, and that is one thing I sure don't want to risk spreading to the rest of the forum!
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Senior Kukhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    392
    I really don't see the benefit in this. It might reduce the whining about moderation but most of these posters are generally dimwits anyways. I've no problem with them leaving miffed. I have never felt the need to curse in excess when arguing a point. And believe me, I'm a prolific cusser IRL, but it's just not a useful strategy online. I just see this new subsection almost designed to foster flame-wars and being overtaken by that charming fellow who routinely proclaims that atheists should burn in hell-fire.

    The trash can is fine. Posts are properly catalogued and still available for view.
    Co-producer of Red Oasis
     

  27. #26  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    So what's the verdict IS? Will add some flair to the forum.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
     

  28. #27  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,295
    Dodge City? Hell Yea! 8)
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Bachelors Degree 15uliane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    depends...
    Posts
    425
    Be kind of fun, to be able to just vent on people and get vented on. I kinda like it. Stuff might carry over though, into the real forum.
    Edit: even with "gentleman" rules.
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by 15uliane
    Be kind of fun, to be able to just vent on people and get vented on. I kinda like it. Stuff might carry over though, into the real forum.
    Edit: even with "gentleman" rules.
    You hit the nail on the head with the concept that it might carry over. Chances are it would, it could send the entire forum in to complete chaos, but then again maybe it wouldn't.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •