Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Spam topics

  1. #1 Spam topics 
    Forum Junior Cuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    4722,28 miles away from home
    Posts
    218
    I belive that lately there's been too many new topics on the religion and pseudoscience board in relation with the scientific ones.

    Lately I've seen too many "spam" posts, too extensive and pointless to be read, plus a lot of racist and discriminatory posts from some of the newest members, that apparently is the only reason why they joined the forum.

    I loved this forum since the day I joined, but I've never seen this large amount of bullshit on it.

    I wonder if I'm the only one that's seeing that?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Spam topics 
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuete
    I belive that lately there's been too many new topics on the religion and pseudoscience board in relation with the scientific ones.

    Lately I've seen too many "spam" posts, too extensive and pointless to be read, plus a lot of racist and discriminatory posts from some of the newest members, that apparently is the only reason why they joined the forum.

    I loved this forum since the day I joined, but I've never seen this large amount of bullshit on it.

    I wonder if I'm the only one that's seeing that?
    Noted, perhaps we need to sub divide the moderators. Or get a few more. We have one or two that have been absent. As the forum grows and grows it will go through period of unrest, it's common.

    Please report anything questionable to a moderator. Sadly I myself don't find the time to read much of anything. That may change in the future. In the mean time lets try to keep this place together.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Is a myspace blog considered spam here?
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    posting a single link that does not contribute in any way to discussion is normally considered spam. Especially if you have to sign up to a worthless website to read said link.

    Plus, there was no text following the link. -.- it may as well have been an advertisement.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    posting a single link that does not contribute in any way to discussion is normally considered spam. Especially if you have to sign up to a worthless website to read said link.

    Plus, there was no text following the link. -.- it may as well have been an advertisement.
    an advert for what? What does a personal blog sell exactly?

    the link that got posted was done in a forum asking for links, the comment was in the title.

    happy NewYearx
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Guest
    Note: A title is not a comment. Plus, it furthers no form of debating. All it does is basically give a link to a highly opinionated blog that does absolutely nothing to further any section on this forum. hence "trash" (which was where it was moved)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    Is a myspace blog considered spam here?
    If you had copied and pasted it as well as acknowledging the source, then commented and invited debate, ie if you had put some work into it and shown you were serious as opposed to a link to a signup it would have been recognised as a serious contribution. - You can still do this if you like or while it's in trash it's not deleted wait to see if anyone responds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    Is a myspace blog considered spam here?
    If you had copied and pasted it as well as acknowledging the source, then commented and invited debate, ie if you had put some work into it and shown you were serious as opposed to a link to a signup it would have been recognised as a serious contribution. - You can still do this if you like or while it's in trash it's not deleted wait to see if anyone responds.


    Well the blog does a have a little rant about sciforums but really I'd like people to visit the blog for the healthy lifestyle tips I'll be posting in the future.

    Sadly controversy attracts more attention than health topics! Hence the publicity about the rant.

    I am not selling anything, just raising awareness on a few things which are not widley known and yet are IMO very helpful.

    So far topics include (for women this one) a blog on cervical cancer with links to a relatively new vaccine.

    A blog on coriolus mushroom which is a herbal treatment for cancer, shown to be effective, aslo claims to prevent cancer etc.

    I will be blogging soon on anti-stress foods, and anti-depression supplements such as EPA, Ashwaghanda the importanace of VIT D during winter (for SAD sufferers)

    So thats what the blog is really all about.

    I apologise for mentioning sciforums rant (which does exist there for a short period only) to attract readership but I am a realist, and gossip and controversy are sadly more attention grabbing. I was unfairly banned though

    BUt my priority is raising awareness on the helpful natural remedies that I have come across.

    ToR
    x

    Please check it out and let me have your feedback (on the health topics)
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    Well if you point to a link and it pops up with an invitation to register, I for one will ignore it, if you paste a chunk of it to give a flavour then maybe, if it pleases me, I might persue it further. The links section I thought was for links to sites 'of scientific interest' such as the discovery of a new scientific method or field breakthrough. Blogs as far as I understand them are unsolicited ramblings and opinions, and not of any [intrinsic] scientific note.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Well if you point to a link and it pops up with an invitation to register, I for one will ignore it, if you paste a chunk of it to give a flavour then maybe, if it pleases me, I might persue it further. The links section I thought was for links to sites 'of scientific interest' such as the discovery of a new scientific method or field breakthrough. Blogs as far as I understand them are unsolicited ramblings and opinions, and not of any [intrinsic] scientific note.
    is coriolus mushroom not of scientific interest? It has been scientifically researched?
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Masters Degree invert_nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    638
    Well, this forum allows signatures which often have links to home pages and whatnot (reference the opening post in this thread), so I would have to say that a link in the sig is not spam.
    However, that's one of the reasons I dislike signatures and wish they could be disabled by individual users. Although links in sigs are far less obnoxious than banners....

    Anyway, Tor was doing more than just showing the link to her myspace, she was tacking it onto the end of every post. And doing so in an attempt to undermine a mod's authority and to stir up drama.
    She wanted to be martyred and she was. Although no one cares but her and her little coterie.
    I argued for a three day ban rather than a two week ban though, but I wasn't listened to. The reason? Because she manipulated the new administrator into becoming enmeshed in her little drama. He's rather upset at her. She's lucky she didn't get a permaban.
    Not only that but she thought she could get away with posting with a sock puppet during her ban.
    Not too bright at all...

    Anyway.
    Nobody here cares about that. So, sorry to pollute this forum with sciforum drama.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by invert_nexus
    Well, this forum allows signatures which often have links to home pages and whatnot (reference the opening post in this thread), so I would have to say that a link in the sig is not spam.
    However, that's one of the reasons I dislike signatures and wish they could be disabled by individual users. Although links in sigs are far less obnoxious than banners....

    Anyway, Tor was doing more than just showing the link to her myspace, she was tacking it onto the end of every post. And doing so in an attempt to undermine a mod's authority and to stir up drama.
    She wanted to be martyred and she was. Although no one cares but her and her little coterie.
    I argued for a three day ban rather than a two week ban though, but I wasn't listened to. The reason? Because she manipulated the new administrator into becoming enmeshed in her little drama. He's rather upset at her. She's lucky she didn't get a permaban.
    Not only that but she thought she could get away with posting with a sock puppet during her ban.
    Not too bright at all...

    Anyway.
    Nobody here cares about that. So, sorry to pollute this forum with sciforum drama.
    Invert I know you try to be fair in all things. I respect you for it. I know I can rely on you to be fair, even if wrong, I know it is not due to bias that you are wrong. But you got the Martyr thing worng. I'm not serious enough about the forum to care about Martyring? I care about fair play that's all. Oh and getting viewers to my blog!

    I confessed that my little link spree was about harnessing that negative drama to lure people to my healthy lifestyle blog! Good things come out of bad and all that! Turn a negative into a positive. While the spot light was on me I used it. I confess.

    Natural health remedies are not all that grabby on their own. I had a genuine annoyance with spurious, and I defended my position.
    Plazma made an error in judgement, a few. He did not admit he said my link was not spam, I was forced to use a sock to defend myself due his lack of presence. I did not expect to get away with it, I was amazed how long she was allowed to post! I genuinely don't fear bans. Permanent or not.

    Not very nice was it. But it's over with now. Health blogging is my priority and sciforum rant will be deleted eventually.

    coriolus mushrooms people! yeh fascinating I know
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Masters Degree invert_nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    638
    He did not admit he said my link was not spam
    Actually, he did. He posted his entire pm to you. In the mod forum, of course.
    It'd kinda odd being privy to the discussions in there. I'd prefer they were all open to the public, myself. But, I guess they want the illusion of a 'unified front'.

    As to sock puppets, heh.
    So, tell me, are you the apostrophe gang as well? I was surprised seeing them in your list. It's possible that they came from a commonly used terminal somewhere. The library perhaps. Outlandish was in that list too as well as a couple of others.

    I did not expect to get away with it,
    Yeah. Dont know what was up with that. I had posted the evidence that she was you in the morning beore work, right after I posted in that thread out in the open. Plazma read it and commented, he also had thought she was you but didn't do the ip check. But he didn't do anything. I suspect he was a bit nervous about acting after making the mistake earlier in his dealings with you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Guest
    I see why she was banned. :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by invert_nexus
    He did not admit he said my link was not spam
    Actually, he did. He posted his entire pm to you. In the mod forum, of course.
    It'd kinda odd being privy to the discussions in there. I'd prefer they were all open to the public, myself. But, I guess they want the illusion of a 'unified front'.

    As to sock puppets, heh.
    So, tell me, are you the apostrophe gang as well? I was surprised seeing them in your list. It's possible that they came from a commonly used terminal somewhere. The library perhaps. Outlandish was in that list too as well as a couple of others.

    I did not expect to get away with it,
    Yeah. Dont know what was up with that. I had posted the evidence that she was you in the morning beore work, right after I posted in that thread out in the open. Plazma read it and commented, he also had thought she was you but didn't do the ip check. But he didn't do anything. I suspect he was a bit nervous about acting after making the mistake earlier in his dealings with you.
    apostrophe gang? Who are they?

    I have no other socks there... Yet (can't help being a rebel- more fun than conformity- I promise to behave here though!)

    I don't share a terminal either. I'm not IT literate enough to explain any list.

    Outlandish is certainly not me! Oh and there are many socks on that site, used by reputable members. I know many of them.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •