Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How many theists?

  1. #1 How many theists? 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    There are only about 145 million atheists in the world according to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...y_Religion.png

    Which makes me wonder, if you are a minority compared to mainly theists, you must feel a huge burden upon you to cleanse the world of religion? How do you suppose you can go about to turn 5.8 billion people away from delusions? Is it possible for only 2 odd percent of the world to change the rest? Should you be able or even have the right to do so?

    As a theist I woudn't normally think about this but I am finally seeing the frustration that atheists must go through day in day out. For instance most theists know others are theists even if they're religion is different, but atheists don't have that luxury they are unique and so feel affected due to religion interfering for one reason and another. So that brings up my question, how can atheists help cure people of these delusions people have gotten themsevles into? Is it through education and the prevention of indoctrination as a child as Q's method suggests, or is it through total dictation of religion and through subliminal messaging like Dawkins' method? (Assuming that you take that conspiracy theory to be the truth (which I don't).


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    How many non-believers were there before Darwin wrote his famous books? And how many after? Memes and lines of cultural beliefs take quite a long time to change just as the processes that go through evolution. Times are chaning and beliefs are changing and I'm fairly certain that you nor I nor anyone else on these forums can do anything about it even if we wanted to. We can argue to our hearts content but the only way people's beliefs are going to be changed is because peple want them to change.

    I think the way to chaneg the believers into nonbelievers isn't about arguing on forums or manipulating people through subliminal messages but with understanding and education. Did you know that most of the theists who don't believe in evolution actually have no idea what evolution is? I keep hearing the argument "One species can't give birth to a whole new species" from their side. They fail to understand that's not the way evolution works.


    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    I don't see why an atheist should feel an obligation to convince others to be atheist. I just feel that as long as religion is not being forced on me or others in an unreasonable way, I am completely content to let others believe whatever they want.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    I am of the opinion that the more people become scientifically literate the better. I also believe that this will necessarily and significantly reduce the amount of people who claim to believe in a god. Although it is not my primary reason for wanting more people to become scientifically literate so that they can become atheists (or agnostic), I would not find the change unwelcome. :wink:
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    716
    The Pope must feel a huge burden upon himself to cleanse the world of non-catholics.
    If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: How many theists? 
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    you must feel a huge burden upon you to cleanse the world of religion?
    It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

    I am finally seeing the frustration that atheists must go through day in day out. For instance most theists know others are theists even if they're religion is different, but atheists don't have that luxury they are unique and so feel affected due to religion interfering for one reason and another.
    Yes, it's awful, really awful. I can barely function. Somehow I struggle through, day by day. It's only my faith that one day everyone will be like me that keeps me going. That's the light at the end of the tunnel, the holy grail, the promised land. I'm glad, though, that you finally see my pain. Can you feel it? Can you?

    So that brings up my question, how can atheists help cure people of these delusions people have gotten themsevles into? Is it through education and the prevention of indoctrination as a child as Q's method suggests,
    I favor mass lobotomies, followed by massage therapy.

    or is it through total dictation of religion and through subliminal messaging like Dawkins' method?
    When did you stop beating your wife?

    (Assuming that you take that conspiracy theory to be the truth (which I don't).
    What conspiracy theory?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: How many theists? 
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury
    What conspiracy theory?
    this one
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: How many theists? 
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    There are only about 145 million ( Known) atheists in the world according to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...y_Religion.png
    Known Atheists, a lot, for survival sake, and peace of mind, keep quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition

    Which makes me wonder, if you are a minority compared to mainly theists,
    I don't see how, your lumping all together, some are poly-theist some are mono-theist, your using a common fallacy, (Argumentum ad populum) to put your point across, that they all follow the same god. Fail.
    However we are no different to any other people, you are in fact an atheist to all other gods bar yours. Aren't you then in a minority also,( there are a lot of denominations and sects) you must feel a huge burden upon you to cleanse the world of all those other religions?
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    you must feel a huge burden upon you to cleanse the world of religion? How do you suppose you can go about to turn 5.8 billion people away from delusions?
    There is no one but the religious adherent that can have a change of mind, other than themselves.
    It's not a burden, as eventually, people will see sense, it's only a matter of time, now isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Is it possible for only 2 odd percent of the world to change the rest?
    Not that an atheist is trying, but Jesus, Bush, Amin, Stalin, thought/think they have the power to change the world, they were just one person out of 6.6 billion.
    so it would be possible, wouldn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Should you be able or even have the right to do so?
    No, and we aren't trying. your the only person who's going to change your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    as a theist I woudn't normally think about this but I am finally seeing the frustration that atheists must go through day in day out.
    thats not because of the reasons you gave here, we are just baffled as to how an intelligent person could be so irrational.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    SV, "cleanse" is not the right word to use. We are not trying to cleanse anyone.

    Imagine being stuck in a room full of adults all of whom believe in Father Christmas, and yes everybody has the right to believe in Father Christmas if they want to. But would you sit there and simply giggle when they started to write letters to Santa, or would you try and explain to them that no matter how much they want to believe that Santa exists, and no matter how many people they manage to persuade to believe in him, they are never going to find magically appearing presents under their tree on Christmas day.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Would they listen? No. So it thus begs the question, why bother? Or does it? How much has belief in father Christmas hurt anybody compared to that of religion right?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    But people do listen, isn't that why you have missionaries? People questioning their faith or non-faith is a good thing, it means people can believe in what they (in their heart) do actually believe, rather than following the status quo.

    I personally know two polish fellas who have converted over to the dark side (atheist) after moving to Britain. Not because of anything i or others have said to them but simply because after moving here three years ago they started to question their own faith.

    ----------------------

    I do have a couple of issues with your opening post though. First, although this has already been mentioned, you seem to be willing to lump all theists together in one group. There are many theist in the world who are willing to kill other theists because of their beliefs. Secondly, atheists are not in a minority because atheism doesn't actually exist, it is just a term (roughly) for someone who doesn't believe in supernatural beings and/or a supernatural world. Lastly, the number of atheists in the world is nothing more then an educated guess, i know several people who have no interest in religion nor practise it and yet still put Church of England down during the last national census.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Re: How many theists? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury
    What conspiracy theory?
    this one
    Priceless.

    For I am not just an evil atheist, but a humble servant of Satan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    Giggling at the ones believing in father christmas is about right.

    The only times that cleansing the world seems like a good idea are when people believe their children are possessed, and beat them to death. Horrible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •