Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Why do people spend so much time with religion?

  1. #1 Why do people spend so much time with religion? 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    165
    To highlight how religion is the cause of most if not all controversy, fights, wars, persecution (want me to go on...?), just look at the basic statistics on this site. There are over 17000 posts on the religion forum compared to 12000 on the physics (which I'm sure long predated the religious forum).

    My question is, what is all the fuss about. Surely after 17,000 posts you guys would have realised that it's a stalemate. Neither side has conclusive proof (biting my tongue in favour of atheism) so why flame each other...? Why not do something useful like invent something to answer the question!

    Barry


    Thinking of the question is greater than knowing the answer...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    People don't address the points in religion, apart from the select few. These deities who do address the points are great in the religion area are known as Wolf, mitchellmckain, Obviously just to name a few. Then there are those who insult and are more often that not always arguing their point of view, then when they can't get what they want out of the argument (whatever that may be), the dummy goes out the pram and then it no longer becomes a thread about the OP (original post), it is a virtual slanging match. Its a shame really :|.


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    Because the questions you can't answer take up a lot more time than the ones you can.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    because most people have an opinion on the subject of religion, whilst far fewer care about physics
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    I care about religious discussion. It's weird coming from an athiest, but I think if I can save a "christian's" soul from christianity, then I can prevent them from going to my version of hell, which is tremendous guilt while floating in limbo about your past life while waiting for the shuttle to take you to zenu.......


    In all reallity. Christianity is an evil organisation and I am trying to save people from it's mind corrupting influence. I am an athiest. I am a good soul. I would never harm another person. But apparently christian's have a different point of view when it concerns harming others... just look at bush.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    verzen, if you were a good 'soul', you'd leave people to their beliefs, even if it may destroy them. There are more in the world that think Christianity along with other religions are good and not 'evil'. Where you see 'evil' you are using a religious notion to dub a religion, which doesn't make sense coming from an atheist. You see only the bad in religion because your minds eye wishes to see that, you never ackknowledge any good that comes from them. I've a lot of religious friends and they're far friendlier, considerate and polite than any atheist I know. Atheists just can't seem to leave religious people alone. You would let people go sailing, but you won't let them have their religion even if all they do following that religion may be going to church once a week. Religion doesn't hurt people, people do. It is people that perform the acts, not religion. Its not people that pull the triggers of guns, people do. Its not a sword that cuts someones head off, its the person. Remember that.

    99% of all people that follow religion are harmless anyway so you really are wasting your life and time stopping peoples beliefs. If your not careful if you ever bump into religious folk and start having a dig, you may not realise they may be fanatics of that religion and blow your head off. So pretend you are always walking on eggshells when it comes to addressing religion. For your own good, trust me .
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    verzen, if you were a good 'soul', you'd leave people to their beliefs, even if it may destroy them.
    Christians would disagree. Indeed, it is the duty of a Christian to save a human being - to at least attempt it - or his blood is on his head.

    There are more in the world that think Christianity along with other religions are good and not 'evil'.
    Fallacy.

    Where you see 'evil' you are using a religious notion to dub a religion, which doesn't make sense coming from an atheist.
    Unsupported assertion.

    You see only the bad in religion because your minds eye wishes to see that, you never ackknowledge any good that comes from them.
    Have you read 'God is not great' by Christopher Hitchens? He makes an excellent case in arguing for just that. I have done my part in talking about the ten commandments as an immoral document in another thread.

    I've a lot of religious friends and they're far friendlier, considerate and polite than any atheist I know.
    Anecdotal evidence.

    Atheists just can't seem to leave religious people alone.
    Unsupported - and in fact, insulting - assertion. Might I remind you that until a few hundred years ago, atheism was a crime? Do a poll how many atheists want a secular society and how many want an atheist society. Ask them why they care, and see whether those answers strike you as moral or not.

    You would let people go sailing, but you won't let them have their religion even if all they do following that religion may be going to church once a week.
    Unsupported assertion.

    Religion doesn't hurt people, people do.
    Unsupported assertion/meaningless trite.

    It is people that perform the acts, not religion.
    Meaningless trite. The same could be said of Nazism.

    Its not people that pull the triggers of guns, people do. Its not a sword that cuts someones head off, its the person. Remember that.
    Yes, we'll write it down as meaningless trite.

    99% of all people that follow religion are harmless anyway so you really are wasting your life and time stopping peoples beliefs.
    Unsupported assertion.

    If your not careful if you ever bump into religious folk and start having a dig, you may not realise they may be fanatics of that religion and blow your head off.
    Threat? Attempt to diminish freedom of speech so early in a discussion? Yeah, I can just see how religious people aren't trying to intrude upon the liberties of atheists.

    So pretend you are always walking on eggshells when it comes to addressing religion. For your own good, trust me .
    I shall do such things... what they are I know not. But they shall be the terror of the earth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Religion has been with us since the dawn of time.

    It's a natural instinct and progression for our species and our mental capabilities to ask bigger questions about existence other than what am i going to eat for dinner.

    The complexity of theology has simply sprung from such basic questions as to why are we here? Is there a purpose? What meaning does our existence have? What is the right way to behave? What is right and wrong?

    In our environment, when we look at all it's complexities and what almost appears to be 'miracles' and presently unexplained phenomena it naturally leads the mind to consider the possibiltiy of a far superior intelligence behind it all.

    Now whether there is a superior intelligence is difficult to answer, and that is the crux of the problem with religion is that many of us require proof and others simply believe.

    Religion is often co-extensive with a social order such as in primal societies like Islam, Judaism and Hinduism where religion is coterminous with culture and identity.

    People face religious issues in their lives daily and are often forced into certain practices whether they wish to or not.

    We also have to be careful when we are observing religions not to taint that with our own assumptions about what religion is, or rather what it should be and what it is not.

    Atheists are more likely to follow the path of philosophy in these inquiries about meanings into our existence.

    At least the aim in philosophy is to reach valid arguments and pluck out fallacy.

    The unfortunate pitfall in religios beliefs is that when faced with accusations of fallacies and invalidity it tends to pull out the red card of faith.

    In that respects it seriously leads to a stalemate in serious contemplation and questions about the bigger picture.

    From a philosophical point of view, religious theory and dependance on faith alone can lead you into a serious closed-trap belief system.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    verzen, if you were a good 'soul', you'd leave people to their beliefs, even if it may destroy them. There are more in the world that think Christianity along with other religions are good and not 'evil'. Where you see 'evil' you are using a religious notion to dub a religion, which doesn't make sense coming from an atheist. You see only the bad in religion because your minds eye wishes to see that, you never ackknowledge any good that comes from them. I've a lot of religious friends and they're far friendlier, considerate and polite than any atheist I know. Atheists just can't seem to leave religious people alone. You would let people go sailing, but you won't let them have their religion even if all they do following that religion may be going to church once a week. Religion doesn't hurt people, people do. It is people that perform the acts, not religion. Its not people that pull the triggers of guns, people do. Its not a sword that cuts someones head off, its the person. Remember that.

    99% of all people that follow religion are harmless anyway so you really are wasting your life and time stopping peoples beliefs. If your not careful if you ever bump into religious folk and start having a dig, you may not realise they may be fanatics of that religion and blow your head off. So pretend you are always walking on eggshells when it comes to addressing religion. For your own good, trust me .
    I don't have a problem with people being religious.

    I have a problem with...

    People being told by their church that the golden compass is evil, so to avoid it at all costs.

    People being told that harry potter is evil, so avoid it at all costs.

    Any other future movie/book that comes out that the church deems evil.

    people saying athiests have no morals

    people refusing to vote for an athiest because he has no morals.

    people discriminating against you saying that everything you say and do in regards to religion is devil talk.

    people who think they are better then you based on religious belief

    people who go to church every sunday to organise, then talk about lies and religious propoganda which is a form of brain washing.

    people who blindly follow a religion, when their religious leaders are out molesting your sons and daughters. When the church finds out, to prevent it from getting out, they sweep it under the rug.

    people who think athiests are mass murderers.... many religious people seriously think that.

    people who are so dumb and idiotic they can't think for themselves, so they allow the church to do it for them.

    I have a problem with religion. I am constantly under attack from them. They discriminate against me, think im the scum of the earth... What you are saying svwillmer, is that I shouldn't fight back and try to convey my wisdom unto others... So that they can finally see the light of day and understand reallity.

    When an organisation systematically says that something is evil, and to avoid watching it at all costs, like harry potter. Then something is wrong with the organisation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    HU You will find that my assertions are based on my own interpretation, Seeing as their is no 'dominant' scientific theory on religion on it being a delusion or a psychological neccity for some people or whatever it is, then when it comes to arguements on the topic of religion there is absolutley no way that we can make each others points valid. My trite is my opinion, in your eyes. My trite is meaningful logic in other eyes. My trite is sensationalist bullshit in anothers eyes. The same can be said for everyone. You have'nt really told me anything more or less by stating my choice words as 'trite' at all. Then again, even if you put your own words that instead of trite it would not be any different really so, meh :?.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    HU You will find that my assertions are based on my own interpretation, Seeing as their is no 'dominant' scientific theory on religion on it being a delusion or a psychological neccity for some people or whatever it is, then when it comes to arguements on the topic of religion there is absolutley no way that we can make each others points valid.
    Please do not pretend to know the extent of science in fields you have no knowledge about.

    My trite is my opinion, in your eyes. My trite is meaningful logic in other eyes.
    Yeah, of the 'gouged out' persuasion.

    My trite is sensationalist bullshit in anothers eyes. The same can be said for everyone. You have'nt really told me anything more or less by stating my choice words as 'trite' at all. Then again, even if you put your own words that instead of trite it would not be any different really so, meh :?.
    No, it can not be said for everyone. Scott Atran's "In Gods We Trust" per example does not fit that label.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    HU You will find that my assertions are based on my own interpretation, Seeing as their is no 'dominant' scientific theory on religion on it being a delusion or a psychological neccity for some people or whatever it is, then when it comes to arguements on the topic of religion there is absolutley no way that we can make each others points valid.
    Belief is open to misinterpretation based on our own assertions and assumptions. Religion when properly scrutinized often falls flat on its face with validity. Validity requires evidence and proof and an irrefutible argument.

    FACT - people who believe without doubt that something exists which cannot be seen or experienced and there is no evidence whatsoever that such a thing is real can safely described as being delusional.
    Religious believers instead will call it faith.

    A proper analysis of religion is polymethodic and involves historical, textual, theological, sociological and ethnological study.



    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Yeah, of the 'gouged out' persuasion.
    Now now H, if i'd said that i'd have been trolling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: Why do people spend so much time with religion? 
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Flannery
    My question is, what is all the fuss about. Surely after 17,000 posts you guys would have realised that it's a stalemate.
    Wow, there's more Physics posts than Biology posts. I wish those Physics folks would just give up and realize how much time they're wasting! Sheesh...
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    HU You will find that my assertions are based on my own interpretation, Seeing as their is no 'dominant' scientific theory on religion on it being a delusion or a psychological neccity for some people or whatever it is, then when it comes to arguements on the topic of religion there is absolutley no way that we can make each others points valid.
    Belief is open to misinterpretation based on our own assertions and assumptions. Religion when properly scrutinized often falls flat on its face with validity. Validity requires evidence and proof and an irrefutible argument.

    FACT - people who believe without doubt that something exists which cannot be seen or experienced and there is no evidence whatsoever that such a thing is real can safely described as being delusional.
    Religious believers instead will call it faith.

    A proper analysis of religion is polymethodic and involves historical, textual, theological, sociological and ethnological study.
    Your words. There are plenty of different approaches to religion, some of them scientific. I would certainly count Atran's work to that latter category.

    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    Yeah, of the 'gouged out' persuasion.
    Now now H, if i'd said that i'd have been trolling.
    What a tone! People will say we're in love.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    I think that religion is the bigger and more developed "science",that humanity have invented....And the reason is the humanity's ignorance about our begining..... I think that is the real reason humanity have inented so many religions.......we dont know our begining,thats why we invented so many theories.... The fact is .... in what theory or religion should I believe??? The question is very serious and each of us must answer....our hope....our dreams...our targets are depended from that question.......thats why people spend so many time with religion
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •