Notices
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Religion breeds ignorance

  1. #1 Religion breeds ignorance 
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/01/09...ef=mpstoryview
    Enough said... wow


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Dude's not ignorant--he's crazy.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Dude's not ignorant--he's crazy.
    I agree. Such extremes are insanity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7
    While this guy is almost for certain of his head,
    many txt in the bible are taken too literaly i think,
    like for example the "if your right hand sins cut it off"
    I think that applies more the soul, if there is a part of you that falls toward sin all the time, cut it of, change it, be carefull of the situations you put yourself in, but of course, you cannot deny that part of your soul, you must treat the wound...

    as for,,, religion breeds ignorance.
    I beg to differ, the bible clearly states that it is through wisdom that you get understanding.
    Pr 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    Pr 29:3 Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance.

    but I will say that are some very far from the truth religions out there
    but you must read the word of God then, the understanding comes out of it, don't just blindely follow someone's religious views
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad
    While this guy is almost for certain of his head,
    many txt in the bible are taken too literaly i think,
    like for example the "if your right hand sins cut it off"
    I think that applies more the soul, if there is a part of you that falls toward sin all the time, cut it of, change it, be carefull of the situations you put yourself in, but of course, you cannot deny that part of your soul, you must treat the wound...
    as for,,, religion breeds ignorance.
    I beg to differ, the bible clearly states that it is through wisdom that you get understanding.
    Pr 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    Pr 29:3 Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but he that keepeth company with harlots spendeth his substance.
    but I will say that are some very far from the truth religions out there
    but you must read the word of God then, the understanding comes out of it, don't just blindely follow someone's religious views
    Ok, so which religion is the right one then? Can you find understanding in other holy texts like the Quran or Torah? Where they also inspired by God?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7
    Forget about religion. There are 10000 of them out there. And you are most probably going to follow the one you are born into, and even if you don't what happens if you only hear 9999 of the religions out there and the one you don't ends up as 'the' one? then eternal damnation for you, sorry! To state my point.. Forget about religion it's all about a personal relationship between you and God..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    it's all about a personal relationship between you and God
    Which one? Are you supposed to create your own image of God and follow that? They can’t all be right, can they? Religion is supposed to describe a God to us along with all the requirements of how to get into heaven. Why even believe in heaven if you are to forget about religion? Do you think it is an innate connection with our creator that is supposed to guide us?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Goes to show that f you follow the ways of one book literally you are stuck in a trap to which you can never escape. Much like a science book.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    You don't like science?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    You don't like science?
    Of course I do, look at it this way. If you follow a science book with such predications that 'The uncertaincy principle dissalows teleportation', or goodness knows what else. Your never going to teleport are you?

    Its like being in a box, a box you cannot escape from because you believe there is nothing outside of that box, like dedicated Christians and dedicated scientists. Janus is a good example.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    You don't like science?
    Of course I do, look at it this way. If you follow a science book with such predications that 'The uncertaincy principle dissalows teleportation', or goodness knows what else. Your never going to teleport are you?

    Its like being in a box, a box you cannot escape from because you believe there is nothing outside of that box, like dedicated Christians and dedicated scientists. Janus is a good example.
    THat's just what I needed to cheer me up, a remonder that there are people on this here little wet ball that believe teleportation is a possibility, any more little gems like that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    You don't like science?
    Of course I do, look at it this way. If you follow a science book with such predications that 'The uncertaincy principle dissalows teleportation', or goodness knows what else. Your never going to teleport are you?

    Its like being in a box, a box you cannot escape from because you believe there is nothing outside of that box, like dedicated Christians and dedicated scientists. Janus is a good example.
    THat's just what I needed to cheer me up, a remonder that there are people on this here little wet ball that believe teleportation is a possibility, any more little gems like that?
    It is possible if we can figure out a way to make it possible.

    Remember the old scripts that say 'man shall never soar with the birds'. I mean they though the Earth was flat for goodness sake!
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    You don't like science?
    Of course I do, look at it this way. If you follow a science book with such predications that 'The uncertaincy principle dissalows teleportation', or goodness knows what else. Your never going to teleport are you?

    Its like being in a box, a box you cannot escape from because you believe there is nothing outside of that box, like dedicated Christians and dedicated scientists. Janus is a good example.
    THat's just what I needed to cheer me up, a remonder that there are people on this here little wet ball that believe teleportation is a possibility, any more little gems like that?
    Wow you are behind the times...
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._teleport.html
    Dude... i'm glad your not a scientist lol..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Guest
    Is that it?

    So I can't dial home and have my keys teleported? no Ice from Europa for a cold drink?

    Wow I am impressed........

    If it takes Man 3 million years to learn how to transmit a sub atomic over a few centimetres how long will it take to teleport a cow to market?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    You know, I use to think you were smarter then this... no offense, but if you looked at the gradual increase in scientific research over the past 1000 years, you will see something amazing.. Let me TRY to give you a graph.

    1000 AD...............1500 AD.................1800 AD...................2000 AD
    .................................................. ......................./////////////////////
    .................................................. ....................///////////////////////
    .................................................. ...............///////////////////////////
    .................................................. .........///////////////////////////////
    .................................................. ..////////////////////////////////////
    ...........................................///////////////////////////////////////////
    ............................../////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    .............//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    You can probably figure out what this graph means... In the past 200 years, wil have had more scientific research and improvements done, then in the amount of time humans have been on this earth.
    If this scientific research is a gradual increase and increases as fast as it is going right now. It will mean that a scientific breakthrough which use to take 100 years to complete (for that time) will only take a year to complete (for our time)
    It will NOT take a million years to teleport something.
    Currently, logically, I do not think teleportation of live objects are capable, because it takes apart the item, then puts it back together someplace else. Which would kill the live object.

    BUT the question was not whether we should teleport large objects or not. I am just showing you that teleportation IS a reallity to prove to you that your statement about teleportation is false.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Guest
    What statement have I mmade that is incorrect? if it is the suggestion that some people here believe in teleportion, - I firmly believe that to be true.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    The part where you implied that teleportation was not possible. (Note, I said implied) If you did not mean it, then I assumed and apologize.

    But your second statement reinforces my first assumption. You laughed at the notion of teleporting a cow. You could technically teleport a cow and not have to worry about sending them to the slaughter house...

    You also said it took people 3 million years to develop this technology, which is wrong. It took them somewhere around 10 years of actually working on this to get it done. You have to walk before you run. However, it took 3 million years for people to obtain this state of mind to be able to even consider something as brilliant as teleportation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Guest
    OK, yes I was 'flirting' throw out a net and see who gets snared.

    Teleporting....

    Startrek suggests that a person is teleported. THis I do not think is either possible or desirable. I could be stripped atom by atom, that information taken somewhere else and then that information used to build a clone but where living things are concerned, and organic chemistry is involved the tremendous amount of energy required to bond all those atoms in such a short space of time would in my opinion vaporise any result, further, organic chemistry is dynamic, ongoing which bit do you want to make first and how will it survive until the being is complete?

    Believe me, I do not 'poo poo' this subject lightly.

    So 'cloning' an item (ie copying it at distance) is NOT teleporting.

    One can argue that cloning is here, transmission of a recipe for example can lead to multiple copies.

    BY teleporting I consider that you instantly tranport matter from one place to another without the matter appearing anywhere along the path at any time. Quantum physics suggests that this is possible for a single particle, the world then grabs this and generates a healine "Scientists prove teleportation is possible".

    Bollocks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    If it's possible for a single particle, it's possible for an entire car.
    It's only a matter of time. Anything is possible in science, just not probable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Guest
    Along the same logic....

    It is possible for a photon to travel at the speed of light, so it's a matter time before an elephant can.

    Anything is possible in science? OK how long before science discover's God created the world in six days?

    And then you say possible but improbable?

    So it is improbable that teleporting will teleport a car.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    God is beyond science and logic.

    It IS possible for an elephant to travel the speed of light... but he wouldn't be doing it by himself. He would be thrust to that point of speed by an external object... If the world was sucked into a black hole, then it might be possible that elephant is going the speed of light.

    A photon does not travel the speed of light on it's own. It is thrust to that position from an external source.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Guest
    OK you have stated it IS possible for an elephant to travel at the speed of light. Now tell me how I can do that today, remembering that your statement is in the present tense. :wink:


    ALso you said 'anything' you did not exclude god, therefore you are changing the goalposts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Logic is science
    God is an idea, not based on any scientific principle.
    The thought of god exists, which deals with psychology and science.
    But god himself does not exist.

    You want to be able to send an elephant faster than the speed of light? Put him in a capsule, send him to space in the direction of a gravitational disturbance... wait... when the black hole is sucking even LIGHT in? Then that means it will suck somethin in faster then the speed of light.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Guest
    That's just what I needed to cheer me up, a reminder that there are people on this here little wet ball that believe faster than light travel is possible by placing an elephant in a capsule.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    You missed the point entirely. The fact that you can put an elephant in a capsule which is propelled by a rocket does NOT make him go faster than the speed of light. But the effect of it entering a black hole WOULD. Cause and effect.
    Just because you poke me, does not mean that it will kill me. However, if that poke was going the speed of light, then i'm pretty sure your finger would go through me like hot butter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    What IS light speed? exactly? Its a relative assumption, you might even be travelling FTL and not realise it for all we know.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Why are you on a "science" forum again? We arn't travelling faster than the speed of light because light is hitting the earth. If the light is able to make contact with us, then we arn't moving faster than light. If we do, then there would be a period in time where light wouldn't hit us and we would instantly die.
    However, a black hole sucks light INTO it meaning that its more powerful then light and it moves things faster than light.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    a black hole sucks light INTO it meaning that its more powerful then light and it moves things faster than light.
    Well that's actually bollocks, since our laws of physics breakdown at the event horizon, for all we know everything crossing into the 'vicinity' of a black hole (if a black hole does indeed have a vicinity) could gently float down to the surface of a giant marshmallow to the strains of a palm court orchestra playing 'What a great maiden voyage, look at all the icebergs'

    A black hole does not 'suck' anything in if you roller blade along the sidewalk and dissappear down an open access cover, you simply fell in, as it is with a black hole.

    All we really know (for certain) is matter seems to dissappear from our universe in terms of both volume and visibility yet the effect of it's mass remains, everything else about black holes is pure conjecture (yes including hawking radiation).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Why are you on a "science" forum again? We arn't travelling faster than the speed of light because light is hitting the earth. If the light is able to make contact with us, then we arn't moving faster than light. If we do, then there would be a period in time where light wouldn't hit us and we would instantly die.
    However, a black hole sucks light INTO it meaning that its more powerful then light and it moves things faster than light.
    Actually its because the light is travelling towards us but the hill of spacetime is to steep. Which begs a new question, can angle be a factor in spacetime?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    a black hole sucks light INTO it meaning that its more powerful then light and it moves things faster than light.
    Well that's actually bollocks, since our laws of physics breakdown at the event horizon, for all we know everything crossing into the 'vicinity' of a black hole (if a black hole does indeed have a vicinity) could gently float down to the surface of a giant marshmallow to the strains of a palm court orchestra playing 'What a great maiden voyage, look at all the icebergs'

    A black hole does not 'suck' anything in if you roller blade along the sidewalk and dissappear down an open access cover, you simply fell in, as it is with a black hole.

    All we really know (for certain) is matter seems to dissappear from our universe in terms of both volume and visibility yet the effect of it's mass remains, everything else about black holes is pure conjecture (yes including hawking radiation).
    People have a generally good idea that a black hole has a high gravity ratio which would suck people to the center of it. For instance, its like being on earth, having earths gravity, but without the actual ground to stand on. You would be sucked into the middle of the planet. Thats what a black hole is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    People have a generally good idea that a black hole has a high gravity ratio which would suck people to the center of it. For instance, its like being on earth, having earths gravity, but without the actual ground to stand on. You would be sucked into the middle of the planet. Thats what a black hole is.
    If you want to ever be a scientist, please use the right words, one falls to a centre of gravity, one is sucked into answering your posts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    A wise one would know that it is not the context of the words that are spoken, but the meaning behind it that counts. It does not matter if I used words incorrectly. What does it prove? Nothing. Where would it get me? Surely would not get me further in the scientific research of which I might be conducting.
    It may make me look more professional. But I would rather spend my time searching for awensers, then searching for spell check, grammar check, or word usage check.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Guest
    Science is a very precise subject, data has to be spot bollock accurate, reports have to be clear precise, the language perfect. By all means continue to describe black holes as 'sucking things in' but let me tell you this, I have seen serious scientific job aplications turned down, on one occasion because the applicant used the word 'summery' instead of 'summary' in a test. It matters not a jot to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Well, what would you call it, since you can't fall in space? Since a black hole is high gravity and it's usually associated with sucking EVERYTHING in, including light.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Guest
    Moving towards a mass due to the influence of gravity is called falling, whether on earth or in space, the word fall is defined along those lines.
    So one does fall in space. At a black hole one again becomes subject to the influence of gravity therefore one falls into a black hole. Incidentally a space craft in orbit is also falling but falling in a curved path. Apart from in jest or on Red Dwarf (A UK sci fi tv show) nobody I know would suggest that things are sucked into a black hole.

    Answers.com, 'falling' is defined as 'To drop or come down freely under the influence of gravity.'
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    People have a generally good idea that a black hole has a high gravity ratio which would suck people to the center of it. For instance, its like being on earth, having earths gravity, but without the actual ground to stand on. You would be sucked into the middle of the planet. Thats what a black hole is.
    If you want to ever be a scientist, please use the right words, one falls to a centre of gravity, one is sucked into answering your posts.
    Hey how did religion breeding ignorance ever get to all this sucking and a blowing about black holes?
    But Verzen i do agree with Megabrain. In any field of study or debate it's important to learn and use the correct terminology, especially if you want to communicate and debate within those fields to others.

    I think religion doesn't neccessarily breed ignorance, but instead prevents people from expanding their knowledge by putting silly ideas in their minds and puts up barriers in their outlook and thinking.

    People will be ignorant whether they have religion or not.

    In fact i would say that probably people that are ignorant in the first place are drawn to religion, because religion has a tendancy to attract those that seek someone or something else to tell them how to live and what to believe because they're either too lazy or too thick to do it for themselves.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Guest
    I have no idea how ignorance got sucked or fell or whatever I said it should be into a religious black hole or whatever you said. Now what special title would you like, personal to you and only you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    BTW megabrain. We are both wrong. It has been noted that gravity really doesn't exist...
    Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.
    This poster clearly states the truth.....



    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Guest
    Hang on, my keyboard is about to float awa
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •