Notices
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: How did the Holy Grail idea arise?

  1. #1 How did the Holy Grail idea arise? 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Since I've never heard of another religion having such an iconic holy relic I'm wondering. What is The Holy Grail? Apparantly it gives you eternal life somehow (as in the tree of life), but how did this legend come about, its not as if it is that meaningful next to Christianity is it? Merely it seems a byproduct. But how did the legend of King Arthur and his knights come about looking for it. Geoffry maybe twisted the story a bit when he said that The Grail was attained but nevertheless there has to be some truth behind it. How did it arise anyway?

    I've seen the DaVinci code and think its a load of codswallop but still, this video intrugied me, if there is no Grail on DaVinci's Last Supper painting, then where did the idea come from?

    Heres a very interesting video that made me think, maybe DaVinci did know something...

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_7hEUHMpc

    PS, I don't fully agree with what the guy describing says, like there MUST be knights templar, which sounds a bit O_O.

    After 03:09 skip the rest, it seems tedious.


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    interestingly, leonardo da vinci used to write his scientific texts mirrored, so he was obviously fascinated with mirrors. maybe there is something to it.


    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    after a brief amount of study, some things doesn't fit.
    the "templars" sitting on each edge of the table, is wearing the wrong colours.

    here's the correct uniform for a real templar:

    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by dejawolf
    after a brief amount of study, some things doesn't fit.
    the "templars" sitting on each edge of the table, is wearing the wrong colours.

    here's the correct uniform for a real templar:

    Where is this image? Is this fact? He might have meant something else.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    It was the cup that jesus had when he said, "This is my blood." Since jesus said that, a rumour started and people thought it was his actual blood and it had the power to make the grail magical or some such. Just abunch of fairy tale mumbo jumbo.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    It was the cup that jesus had when he said, "This is my blood." Since jesus said that, a rumour started and people thought it was his actual blood and it had the power to make the grail magical or some such. Just abunch of fairy tale mumbo jumbo.
    As everything else that you can't see right?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    I'm fairly sure the idea arose spontaneously in the minds of Graham Chapman and John Cleese in the shrubbery.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    It was the cup that jesus had when he said, "This is my blood." Since jesus said that, a rumour started and people thought it was his actual blood and it had the power to make the grail magical or some such. Just abunch of fairy tale mumbo jumbo.
    As everything else that you can't see right?
    Do you believe in fairies? There is a much better chance that fairies exist then if god existed. Do you believe in magic? There is about an equal amount of chance for magic to be in the world as if god was in the world. Since I don't see people flinging fireballs or fairies, (outside of certain flaming homosexuals) or elves, or goblins, or a damsel in distress with golden locks that reach out about 30 feet... then I have a good suspicion that god is yes, just another fairy tale. None of those are true, so why should the former be true? Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it will exist. There was an old saying.. I can't remember who said it, but it went something like this, "Once a god has people stop believing in him, then the god loses all of his power" That saying pretty much says that if no one believes in god, then god ceises to exist. So much for an omnipotent being... He needs us to survive. If he does not have us to "remember" him, he no longer exists. Thats because he is all in our mind.... just a mental masturbation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    It was the cup that jesus had when he said, "This is my blood." Since jesus said that, a rumour started and people thought it was his actual blood and it had the power to make the grail magical or some such. Just abunch of fairy tale mumbo jumbo.
    As everything else that you can't see right?
    Do you believe in fairies? There is a much better chance that fairies exist then if god existed. Do you believe in magic? There is about an equal amount of chance for magic to be in the world as if god was in the world. Since I don't see people flinging fireballs or fairies, (outside of certain flaming homosexuals) or elves, or goblins, or a damsel in distress with golden locks that reach out about 30 feet... then I have a good suspicion that god is yes, just another fairy tale. None of those are true, so why should the former be true? Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it will exist. There was an old saying.. I can't remember who said it, but it went something like this, "Once a god has people stop believing in him, then the god loses all of his power" That saying pretty much says that if no one believes in god, then god ceises to exist. So much for an omnipotent being... He needs us to survive. If he does not have us to "remember" him, he no longer exists. Thats because he is all in our mind.... just a mental masturbation.
    Well if they don't exist in this universe they have to exist in a paralel universe, there is no escaping it verzen, no matter how hard you try to block it out.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    It was the cup that jesus had when he said, "This is my blood." Since jesus said that, a rumour started and people thought it was his actual blood and it had the power to make the grail magical or some such. Just abunch of fairy tale mumbo jumbo.
    As everything else that you can't see right?
    Do you believe in fairies? There is a much better chance that fairies exist then if god existed. Do you believe in magic? There is about an equal amount of chance for magic to be in the world as if god was in the world. Since I don't see people flinging fireballs or fairies, (outside of certain flaming homosexuals) or elves, or goblins, or a damsel in distress with golden locks that reach out about 30 feet... then I have a good suspicion that god is yes, just another fairy tale. None of those are true, so why should the former be true? Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it will exist. There was an old saying.. I can't remember who said it, but it went something like this, "Once a god has people stop believing in him, then the god loses all of his power" That saying pretty much says that if no one believes in god, then god ceises to exist. So much for an omnipotent being... He needs us to survive. If he does not have us to "remember" him, he no longer exists. Thats because he is all in our mind.... just a mental masturbation.
    Well if they don't exist in this universe they have to exist in a paralel universe, there is no escaping it verzen, no matter how hard you try to block it out.
    What? Thats very illogical.
    You are saying just because someone can think of some idea, then that idea MUST exist in a different universe? Thats like saying pink elephants exist or the noodly goodness of the flying spaghetti monster DOES indeed exist.... Thats assinine...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    There is no meaning.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    Do some serious research, join a Magi order or two, and you'll figure out what the holy grail is. Like much else in mythologies and religions, the holy grail is a symbol. It was meant to represent knowledge, wisdom, and enlightment. What it is now is simply a twist on what it once was.
    I expect the worst but hope for the best.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore vslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by dejawolf
    interestingly, leonardo da vinci used to write his scientific texts mirrored, so he was obviously fascinated with mirrors. maybe there is something to it.
    actually it wast mirrored, it was his left handed script. writing with a scribe and a vial of ink would most likely make a lot more mess for da vinci than it would for modern left handers with ballpoint pens.
    and so the balance of power shifts...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Do you believe in fairies? There is a much better chance that fairies exist then if god existed. Do you believe in magic? There is about an equal amount of chance for magic to be in the world as if god was in the world. Since I don't see people flinging fireballs or fairies, (outside of certain flaming homosexuals) or elves, or goblins, or a damsel in distress with golden locks that reach out about 30 feet... then I have a good suspicion that god is yes, just another fairy tale. None of those are true, so why should the former be true? Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it will exist. There was an old saying.. I can't remember who said it, but it went something like this, "Once a god has people stop believing in him, then the god loses all of his power" That saying pretty much says that if no one believes in god, then god ceises to exist. So much for an omnipotent being... He needs us to survive. If he does not have us to "remember" him, he no longer exists. Thats because he is all in our mind.... just a mental masturbation.
    You are right. Just because you want something to exist doesn't mean it will. But just because you don't want/believe something exists doesn't mean that it doesn't either. What if there is magic? Magic is not necessarily "flinging fireballs". As near as I've been able to ascertain people associate the word magic with anything they don't understand. For example if you were to take a lighter to some of the indigenous peoples of south america they would think it magic. That doesn't make it so.
    "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    The Holy grail is the cup, dish, saucer or some other form of dinnerware that Christ used at the last supper. And yes, it was later used to catch his blood. The Grail was then stored and protected by an appointed group known as the Knights Templar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I thought it was the Priory Of Scion?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    I thought it was the Priory Of Scion?
    I just stated what I read on Wikipedia *shrug*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Basically

    The cup or chalice is symbolic of a womans vagina

    The sword or lance is symbolic of the male penis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    -sigh-everything has to be reduced to sex..

    what you say is true but very sad...
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    The 'sex' interpretation came around from the DaVinci code. Its true meaning is far more important.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    -sigh-everything has to be reduced to sex..

    what you say is true but very sad...
    Yes most things can be explained by sex

    Copulation and the coming together of the two to make three is a very profound formula that can be seen in action everywhere on our planet and not just between two people.

    Why is this sad?

    Why is 'sex' such a dirty word?

    And why use the term 'reduced'??

    Sex is a divine magical ritual which creates, and is probably the closest us humans will ever get to this idea called God.

    If it wasn't for sex you wouldn't be here posting on this forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    When I came to this thread it was with a strong suspicion that the myth of the holy grail actually had pagan origins and sure enough internet research reveal that this has Celtic pagan origins (The Celts were all over northern europe). Thus this idea probably became absorbed into the Christian worldview and mythos along with a lot of other things.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •