Notices
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 279
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: How do atheists get married?

  1. #1 How do atheists get married? 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    If they don't believe in God why perform a religious act? Marriage derives from religion. Can atheists get married in chruch without being contradictory, can they get married at all without being contradictory? If marriage comes from religion shoudl atheists be taken seriously if they want to get married? By that I mean should those who don't believe in something be able to use something from that which they don't believe? No offense here folks :wink:.


    MoonCanvas likes this.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Marriage involves the state more than God. I couldn't care less if God recognized the marriage so long as the state did.


    Bad Robot and CITRAL like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Marriage involves the state more than God. I couldn't care less if God recognized the marriage so long as the state did.
    But it derives from religion so its hypocritcal of you isn't it? No offense :wink:.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Where it "derives from" really doesn't matter, what matters is how it works today. I'm not convinced it has a religious origin anyway, I'd tend to think it was more a social institution or political tool than something that sprang from religion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Where it "derives from" really doesn't matter, what matters is how it works today. I'm not convinced it has a religious origin anyway, I'd tend to think it was more a social institution or political tool than something that sprang from religion.
    Nope its religious. Anyone atheist who gets married is contradictory, sort of. I've struck a nerve haven't I. No offense again :wink:.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    You haven't struck a nerve at all, I find it completely irrelevent whether it's of religious origin or not. I'm not married anyway :P Besides like I said I am not convinced it even is of religious origin. I will say though that catholic weddings are really..freakin..annoyingly..long
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    And tombstones were used so there'd be something for a corpse to hit its head on and get knocked out, in case it rose from the grave. But we still use tombstones, because they're nice. I remember something about wedding rings being symbolic of a woman's shackles, but we still use rings, because they're nice.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    I'll tell you what's truly hypocritical though - Christians who badmouth science and evolution then log off, drive to the pharmacy and pick up their antibiotics. Now THERE'S some hypocrisy for you :P Nevermind the fact that antibiotic regimens are based on evolution, but couldn't they just pray for healing?
    Sorry, off topic i know :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: How do atheists get married? 
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    Honestly though, i don't plan on getting married in a church nor will i have a funeral in one. I don't belong to the christian faith. The wedding i'll compromise on, if the extremely lucky lady cares for that sort of thing. The funeral, no way. I want to go out like a viking, in a burning boat.
    Gere likes this.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Nope its religious.
    And how do you know this, since the institution of marriage pre-dates recorded history?

    Please site references.
    CITRAL likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    I think he's referring to your standard western wedding, in a christian church, in front of an ordained christian minister. That is definately a christian ceremony.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by TvEye
    I think he's referring to your standard western wedding, in a christian church, in front of an ordained christian minister. That is definately a christian ceremony.
    True...but that's not the only way to get married. What about a Justice of the Peace wedding?...has nothing to do with God or religion.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    yeah. I know a few people who've had handfastings. More than one way to skin a cat. I wouldn't mind a cheesy vegas wedding, in front o' the king. Or inside a real ufo, alleged god willing. This is why the guy has no say in the wedding.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by TvEye
    yeah. I know a few people who've had handfastings. More than one way to skin a cat. I wouldn't mind a cheesy vegas wedding, in front o' the king. Or inside a real ufo, alleged god willing. This is why the guy has no say in the wedding.
    Oh hell ya...and the ceremony would last about 30 seconds.

    Fat 70's Elvis: "Do you, Mac, promise not to fuck anybody else, and put up with her shit for the rest of your life?"

    Mac: "If I have to."

    Elvis: "How 'bout you, babe?"

    Mac's fiance: "What he said."

    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    I'll tell you what's truly hypocritical though - Christians who badmouth science and evolution then log off, drive to the pharmacy and pick up their antibiotics. Now THERE'S some hypocrisy for you :P Nevermind the fact that antibiotic regimens are based on evolution, but couldn't they just pray for healing?
    Sorry, off topic i know :P
    I went for a bath. I'm not bad mouthing science, I love it and believe evolution true. As I keep saying MY religion. I don't take any anti-biotics. I don't do any intoxicants, I'm clean. I don't pray to God to get better unless I'm in great pain. I just put up with it.

    So TvEye you'd rather be burned alive than have a funeral? Sounds like your cutting your nose off to spite your face. No offense again. 8)
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Senior TvEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    398
    Ummm, no. You're already dead when you're in the boat. It was a viking funeral rite. I just think it'd be cooler than a boring church service. People get to shoot burning arrows at a boat.
    "First we build the tools, then they build us" - Marshall McLuhan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by TvEye
    Ummm, no. You're already dead when you're in the boat. It was a viking funeral rite. I just think it'd be cooler than a boring church service. People get to shoot burning arrows at a boat.
    I plan to have my wake BEFORE I die. I want to live my last party, not be underground or carbon in the sky while everyone's getting kaylied.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    That's assuming you know when you're going to die..what if your last words are "What bus?"

    We're getting off-topic....we need to get back to marriage.

    SV, how are you so sure marriage is based in religion?
    CITRAL likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    That's assuming you know when you're going to die..what if your last words are "What bus?"

    We're getting off-topic....we need to get back to marriage.

    SV, how are you so sure marriage is based in religion?
    http://ks.essortment.com/historyofmarri_rimr.htm

    Found that, not sure if its good enough. :?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20 Re: How do atheists get married? 
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    If they don't believe in God why perform a religious act? Marriage derives from religion. Can atheists get married in chruch without being contradictory, can they get married at all without being contradictory? If marriage comes from religion shoudl atheists be taken seriously if they want to get married? By that I mean should those who don't believe in something be able to use something from that which they don't believe? No offense here folks :wink:.
    You really need to research a subject before you post up an inane question.
    Most tribal and ancient societies need/needed a secure environment for the perpetuation of the species, a system of rules to handle the granting of property rights, and the protection of bloodlines. The institution of marriage handled these needs.
    Different periods of time and different cultures have very different histories when it comes to marriage.
    Women in Ancient Egypt, in theory, had equal rights, but it wasn't always practiced.
    marriage is not simply a religious sacrament, marriage is a bond between two people that involves responsibility and legalities, as well as commitment and challenge. That concept of marriage hasn't changed through the ages.
    A form of marriage has been around since time began, religion just gave it a bit more ritual tis all.
    CITRAL likes this.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Im a married athiest whats your point??? We married in a registry office with a civil ceremony(similar things exist for same sex marriages these days, as your homophobic god doesn't allow that) for the legal issues involved around having children, eg even with a father on a birth certificate, a child born outside of wedlock, in the event of the mother death, has to be legally ADOPTED by the childs own father, marriage puts a stop to that

    You really try to link athiesm and theism dont you? is that to make yourself feel better about your faith?
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Neutrino said:
    Christians who badmouth science and evolution
    It is rather interesting that you separate the two, just as Christians do. Except they don't bad mouth science per se, but do bad mouth some of the conclusions some people draw from the scientific data relating to evolution.

    This is a constant stupid harangue of the uneducated anti-religious who have no idea what religious people think. If you hold the entirety of Christianity to the views a small percentage of the whole, why should we not condemn the entire scientific community because a few of them believe in UFOs?

    What science do Christians badmouth? Some creation speculation and some evolutionary conclusions. What else?
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Im a married athiest whats your point??? We married in a registry office with a civil ceremony(similar things exist for same sex marriages these days, as your homophobic god doesn't allow that) for the legal issues involved around having children, eg even with a father on a birth certificate, a child born outside of wedlock, in the event of the mother death, has to be legally ADOPTED by the childs own father, marriage puts a stop to that

    You really try to link athiesm and theism dont you? is that to make yourself feel better about your faith?
    No, just trying to get along with atheists unlike my other religious friends :?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    Neutrino said:
    Christians who badmouth science and evolution
    It is rather interesting that you separate the two, just as Christians do. Except they don't bad mouth science per se, but do bad mouth some of the conclusions some people draw from the scientific data relating to evolution.

    This is a constant stupid harangue of the uneducated anti-religious who have no idea what religious people think. If you hold the entirety of Christianity to the views a small percentage of the whole, why should we not condemn the entire scientific community because a few of them believe in UFOs?

    What science do Christians badmouth? Some creation speculation and some evolutionary conclusions. What else?
    I agree. Christians as other religions should be allowed to defend something they believe in just as atheists do, and rather abruptly too. Some atheists don't value the opinion of Christians because they are 'delusional'. But just look at the number of Christains in the world against atheists.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    Neutrino said:
    Christians who badmouth science and evolution
    It is rather interesting that you separate the two, just as Christians do. Except they don't bad mouth science per se, but do bad mouth some of the conclusions some people draw from the scientific data relating to evolution.

    This is a constant stupid harangue of the uneducated anti-religious who have no idea what religious people think. If you hold the entirety of Christianity to the views a small percentage of the whole, why should we not condemn the entire scientific community because a few of them believe in UFOs?

    What science do Christians badmouth? Some creation speculation and some evolutionary conclusions. What else?
    I agree. Christians as other religions should be allowed to defend something they believe in just as atheists do, and rather abruptly too. Some atheists don't value the opinion of Christians because they are 'delusional'. But just look at the number of Christains in the world against atheists.
    How do you want an athiest to value your opinion? like i said bedore, the best i can offer is i believe that you believe in a god, i also believe that some people believe in the flying spaghetti monster to the exact same degree, as you yourself should also

    Not sure what theres more christians than athiests actually proves, if it is actually provable, some people call themselves christians(or c of e)on forms for many other reasons than actual belief, In many parts of the world, the US included it would not be wise to speak out and admit to being an athiest in a religious community, which is why the OUT campaign is a new idea

    As for the UK(as we both live there), on an average sunday more people go to the shrine of B&Q or garden centres than of churches

    You cant quote there are more of one type of person than another, as there is no physical or true way of telling,that is a fact :-D
    CITRAL likes this.
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Who bothers going to chruch? I only go on rememberance day. I can worship God any time I want, I do that by thanking Him wherever I go and when he does His daily things for me. Its a shame the yank atheists have to be fearful of speaking out about Christianity. So much for Jesus' word.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Masters Degree samcdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    640
    Does it matter how atheists get married? Or even if they get married at all?
    Homeland Security Advisory System: RED
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    ....... Its a shame the yank atheists have to be fearful of speaking out about Christianity. So much for Jesus' word.

    Huh? If you're wondering why your breath smells like farts...it's because you're talking out of your ass. j/k

    I'm an athiest in the center of the Bible belt. I'm not fearful of talking about my beliefs to anyone. You seem to be under the impression that being an atheist means that you are anti-Christian. I don't "speak out" about any religion. As long as your religious beliefs don't break the law...then as far as I'm concerned, you can worship whatever you want.

    (Just for me) I would appreciate if you would not use the term "Yank" to describe all Americans. I'm from Texas, and calling someone a Yankee is an insult. Them's fightn' words. thanks.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Why are believers so worried about atheists?

    I worry about Christians. Why do Christians get divorced more than atheists?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    sv i think you may have got mixed between getting married and getting married in church because in the UK a wedding in church covers both the legal and the religious aspect of getting married

    in e.g. Belgium you first have to get married in a civil ceremony before you can get married in church - so in a way getting married in church is only an add-on should you feel like it
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    ....... Its a shame the yank atheists have to be fearful of speaking out about Christianity. So much for Jesus' word.

    Huh? If you're wondering why your breath smells like farts...it's because you're talking out of your ass. j/k

    I'm an athiest in the center of the Bible belt. I'm not fearful of talking about my beliefs to anyone. You seem to be under the impression that being an atheist means that you are anti-Christian. I don't "speak out" about any religion. As long as your religious beliefs don't break the law...then as far as I'm concerned, you can worship whatever you want.

    (Just for me) I would appreciate if you would not use the term "Yank" to describe all Americans. I'm from Texas, and calling someone a Yankee is an insult. Them's fightn' words. thanks.
    American = Yank
    Englander = Tommy

    Their was a post previously about one not wanting to speak out as it could be dangerous-I was responsding to that.

    Don't worry I won't call you a yank. Whats a nickname for the Texan's then?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    ....... Its a shame the yank atheists have to be fearful of speaking out about Christianity. So much for Jesus' word.

    Huh? If you're wondering why your breath smells like farts...it's because you're talking out of your ass. j/k

    I'm an athiest in the center of the Bible belt. I'm not fearful of talking about my beliefs to anyone. You seem to be under the impression that being an atheist means that you are anti-Christian. I don't "speak out" about any religion. As long as your religious beliefs don't break the law...then as far as I'm concerned, you can worship whatever you want.

    (Just for me) I would appreciate if you would not use the term "Yank" to describe all Americans. I'm from Texas, and calling someone a Yankee is an insult. Them's fightn' words. thanks.
    American = Yank
    Englander = Tommy

    Their was a post previously about one not wanting to speak out as it could be dangerous-I was responsding to that.

    Don't worry I won't call you a yank. Whats a nickname for the Texan's then?


    Sorry to pick up on this one, but surely as a brit you should know better, Tommy was a nickname for British soldiers that originated in the first world war, so its for soldiers and more specifically British soldiers, not sure where you got "Englander" from?

    Tommy Atkins (often just Tommy) is a term for a common soldier in the British Army that is particularly associated with World War I. German soldiers would call out to Tommy across no man's land if they wished to speak to a British soldier. French and Commonwealth troops would also call British soldiers "Tommies". In more recent times, the term Tommy Atkins has been used less frequently, although the name "Tom" is occasionally still heard, especially with regard to paratroopers
    If you want the American slang for the British then the most well known is Limey and the australians use the term Pommie or Pom
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I was going to say Tommy for Brits, for some reason I changed to Englander :?.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I was going to say Tommy for Brits, for some reason I changed to Englander :?.
    But it is only a term that applies to soldiers, and not the general public like yanks :wink:
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I was going to say Tommy for Brits, for some reason I changed to Englander :?.
    But it is only a term that applies to soldiers, and not the general public like yanks :wink:
    Thanks, IQ up 0.001
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I was going to say Tommy for Brits, for some reason I changed to Englander :?.
    But it is only a term that applies to soldiers, and not the general public like yanks :wink:
    Thanks, IQ up 0.001
    wow! thats 0.001 higher than most religious people, it appears your one of the clever ones. lol
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlos
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I was going to say Tommy for Brits, for some reason I changed to Englander :?.
    But it is only a term that applies to soldiers, and not the general public like yanks :wink:
    Thanks, IQ up 0.001
    wow! thats 0.001 higher than most religious people, it appears your one of the clever ones. lol
    What can I do for a living now?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    start a cult ?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    Neutrino said:
    Christians who badmouth science and evolution
    It is rather interesting that you separate the two, just as Christians do. Except they don't bad mouth science per se, but do bad mouth some of the conclusions some people draw from the scientific data relating to evolution.

    This is a constant stupid harangue of the uneducated anti-religious who have no idea what religious people think. If you hold the entirety of Christianity to the views a small percentage of the whole, why should we not condemn the entire scientific community because a few of them believe in UFOs?

    What science do Christians badmouth? Some creation speculation and some evolutionary conclusions. What else?
    Oh I am certainly not claiming all Christians do it. I'm just complaining about the ones that do. If you want an example right here go look at creation's posts. Chrstians like him are a dime a dozen on message boards - their favorite word is "assumption" which they use to try and undermine whatever their particular topic is that they don't like. Usually it's evolution. With creation it happens to be the "state of the past universe" or some such. But it could be about geology because they want to believe in the Flood. It could be about radioactive dating because they want a 6000 year old earth. It could be about damn near anything
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,760
    after all, the good book, full of contradictions as it may be, cannot be allowed to be wrong - what are the musings of mere scientists against the word of god ?

    at least that's what i think the basic thinking behind the criticisms of science is about
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    after all, the good book, full of contradictions as it may be, cannot be allowed to be wrong - what are the musings of mere scientists against the word of god ?

    at least that's what i think the basic thinking behind the criticisms of science is about
    Yup. Although I think Christians don't want to critise science, just ensure that atheists don't critise it in a way that would be offensive. Take me for instance, I'd rather make myself sound stupid than insult you lot. Whereas other Christians may not. But thats me and my interpretation and beliefs mixed with most of the Bible. Being honest all I follow in The Bible is this:

    1: Ten Commandments
    2: Jesus' top two commandments
    3: The Beatittudes
    4: Accept Christ as my saviour

    Everything from that is my own belief. Which is why I rile a lot of Christians with my belief-I don't fit them. I try to tidy up and only believe those things about the Bible, the main things-the stuff less likely to have been changed.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    A legal marriage (a legal binding between two people) is not the same as holy matrimony (the religious union of two people). I plan on getting married in a completely non-religious way. It is not contradictory, since marriage is a legal binding that can be religious.
    I expect the worst but hope for the best.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberEyes
    A legal marriage (a legal binding between two people) is not the same as holy matrimony (the religious union of two people). I plan on getting married in a completely non-religious way. It is not contradictory, since marriage is a legal binding that can be religious.
    But most likely comes from religious origin. Theres no escaping it, thats why the rest of the posters here stopped and tried to change the subject before that.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,416
    Who cares, it's tradition.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberEyes
    A legal marriage (a legal binding between two people) is not the same as holy matrimony (the religious union of two people). I plan on getting married in a completely non-religious way. It is not contradictory, since marriage is a legal binding that can be religious.
    But most likely comes from religious origin. Theres no escaping it, thats why the rest of the posters here stopped and tried to change the subject before that.
    By religious, do you mean christian? Because if that's the case, then you are wrong. A union between a man and a wife has existed long before christianity ever came along. Just because the christians did it too doesn't make it a christian thing.
    I expect the worst but hope for the best.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    I think the concept of 'legal' marriage was created in order to make sure rightful heirs to lands are recognized legally.

    A marriage in the 'sight of god' is hokum.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    I think the concept of 'legal' marriage was created in order to make sure rightful heirs to lands are recognized legally.

    A marriage in the 'sight of god' is hokum.
    Sight of God? Whattareya tlakin' about?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Uh OP. You really have no idea wtf you are talking about. Marriage was originally created as a way to combine land, or as a peace offering. Women back then were used as objects of value. Pretty much, "I'll trade you 10 acres for that beautiful blonde daughter of yours" type of thing. The only reason religion is even a PART of that, is because religion tries so hard to get into politics. It's a very controling organisation that attempts to control humanity in it's grip. If you notice, all religious people who were not christians back then were labeled as pagans or heretics and were killed. Most people converted to christianity to prevent from being killed, or mutilated in some way. Thats why it got so big so fast compared to all other older religions. Then you have your disputes within christianity that even get involved in politics. The protestants vs the catholics in england for instance. Mary mutilated protestants, then Elizabeth came around and killed all the catholics. Thus, since Elizabeth won, mary was thus, "Bloody Mary."
    Thats a little brief history on the christian control over political matters.
    Jeaunse23 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Thats your opinion, and it is noted.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Wow, when did fact become opinionated ignorance? Thats whats so wrong with religion these days and why so many scientists are athiests. Because religious people don't take kindly to factual evidance of science. Your just like those christian scientists who don't believe dinosaurs walked the earth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I do believe dinosaurs once lived on Earth and that evolution is true. You'll never understand because you make no attempt to.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    No I understand. Ive done plenty of research on the subject.
    Fact: Every political party in the world bases their moral laws and code of conduct on a religious teaching. (except for certain individuals, but they were insane to begin with)
    Fact: Every political party in the world is influenced by religion in one way or another
    Fact: The majority of political influence is by christianity
    Fact: Religion is the cause of more wars then disputes based on non-religious acts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I do believe dinosaurs once lived on Earth and that evolution is true. You'll never understand because you make no attempt to.
    Ah, so you don't believe in the bible?
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I do believe dinosaurs once lived on Earth and that evolution is true. You'll never understand because you make no attempt to.
    Ah, so you don't believe in the bible?
    Where in The Bible does it say the Dinosaurs or evolution did or did not exist. As I've said before, tThe Bible has a lot of non-God words in it.

    When God says about The Earth and man being made, mabe the days were eons. Don't forget God is omnieverything, its no wonder we know f all.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Fact: Religion is the cause of more wars then disputes based on non-religious acts.
    Really? Whatever you say. Are arguments with your family and friends religious based?

    Typical human behaviour, its not my fault, its not your fault. Always trying to place the blame on something else.

    If there was no religion on Earth you'd still have a lot of problems and conflicts. Where man twists the word of God to get his own way, to satisfy his lust, greed his envy.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    How can you believe in something that was written by man... the new testement was written 300 years AFTER the death of christ. The bible ALWAYS changes and the church assigns its saints as if they were above the one god they worship...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Fact: Religion is the cause of more wars then disputes based on non-religious acts.
    Really? Whatever you say. Are arguments with your family and friends religious based?

    Typical human behaviour, its not my fault, its not your fault. Always trying to place the blame on something else.

    If there was no religion on Earth you'd still have a lot of problems and conflicts. Where man twists the word of God to get his own way, to satisfy his lust, greed his envy.
    Funny, I never knew that arguments with my family were political matters...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    How can you believe in something that was written by man... the new testement was written 300 years AFTER the death of christ. The bible ALWAYS changes and the church assigns its saints as if they were above the one god they worship...
    The faith and deeds and meekness, the pure of some, gives abilities to see the lies of The Bible.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    So your admitting that the bible is all lies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60 Re: How do atheists get married? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    If they don't believe in God why perform a religious act? Marriage derives from religion. Can atheists get married in chruch without being contradictory, can they get married at all without being contradictory? If marriage comes from religion shoudl atheists be taken seriously if they want to get married? By that I mean should those who don't believe in something be able to use something from that which they don't believe? No offense here folks :wink:.
    Marriage is not a religious act, and marriage does not derive from religion. Some subset of marriages today involve religious ceremony.

    Google "history of marriage" and browse some of the relevant pages.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    So your admitting that the bible is all lies.
    Nope. Some.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    If some are lies, then how can you even trust ANY of the bible? You realise that if someone lies to me, then i'm going to have a hard time trusting anything they say. If a source is filled with a few lies, and a few truths, then you should know that source is not sufficient enough evidance for truth. Thats called being, "Naive" my friend. It also explains alot about your character... You pick the parts of the bible you choose to believe, then throw away the rest. Does this seem logical to you? Ive never met a more illogical person in my life!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I don't pick what I want. I look at the closest to God word:

    1: The Ten Commandments
    2: Jesus' top two
    3: The Beattitudes

    And more or less what Jesus said. Jesus sounded very strange so who would change His word if one did not understand it in the first place.

    Illogical? Incomphrenisble jargon is the hallmark of profession. Welcome to the forum by the way .

    My character is very alternated. If I were space I'd be a complex system of different areas of the spaceitme continuum.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    If I were space I'd be a complex system of different areas of the spaceitme continuum.
    I would have thought a vacuum.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I don't pick what I want. I look at the closest to God word:

    1: The Ten Commandments.
    Did you know that one of the commandments condones slavery? Do you condone slavery?
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    I don't pick what I want. I look at the closest to God word:

    1: The Ten Commandments.
    Did you know that one of the commandments condones slavery? Do you condone slavery?
    Does it? Show me.

    ...his manservant or maidservant. Is this what you mean? Covetting these? God was merley using an example. He didn't say that you could have a slave or not did He. There is a difference between a servant and a slave. The Israelites were slaves. A servant is the same a maid, they live in rich peoples mansions and clean up so how is that slavery? Whos saying that the servants back then were forced to work? The servants got paid in food and shelter etc etc, it was small communities back then with the Israelites, no money.

    See? You've taken one meaning and turned it into another. As is common place with getting ones own way.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer

    Does it? Show me.
    Exodus 20:2–17

    "10. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns."

    Deuteronomy 5:6–21

    "14 But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you."

    See? You've taken one meaning and turned it into another. As is common place with getting ones own way.
    Uh-huh...
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Thats not in my Bible. It says servant. Thats interpretation for you :x. No wonder no-one belives.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Thats not in my Bible. It says servant. Thats interpretation for you :x. No wonder no-one belives.
    They ARE in the bible, pal. Sorry to burst your fragile ego.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Not in mine, want a scanned picture?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Not in mine, want a scanned picture?
    Don't need it, I can read it here fine, thanks.

    So, do you condone slavery?
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Dude, like I said in another post. YOU CANNOT PROVE something is NOT there. You can only prove that something IS there.
    You cannot prove that elves do not exist. You cannot prove that leprechauns do not exist. You cannot prove that something is NOT in a bible. (or can be interpretted as such)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Not in mine, want a scanned picture?
    Don't need it, I can read it here fine, thanks.

    So, do you condone slavery?
    Now I know how SPT feels like. I'm going to learn his lesson here. My Bible is different to yours.

    I don't agree with slavery. God didn't actually say that you can have slaves though did He? Hm?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    Thats not in my Bible. It says servant. Thats interpretation for you :x. No wonder no-one belives.
    these servants, were they free to come and go as they pleased did they get paid, were they bonded.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer

    I don't agree with slavery. God didn't actually say that you can have slaves though did He? Hm?
    Slaves were common then, and since men wrote the bible, those men obviously condoned slavery.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer

    I don't agree with slavery. God didn't actually say that you can have slaves though did He? Hm?
    Slaves were common then, and since men wrote the bible, those men obviously condoned slavery.
    OK. Your not going to agree with me and vice versa, so lets stop this, its getting pointless.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Can you prove that man did not write the bible?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Can you prove that man did not write the bible?
    No, at least not right now anyway.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Forum Ph.D. verzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    919
    Ok, lets end this down svwillmer. The fact that you believe in talking hedgehogs is proof enough that I am right and you are wrong... Yeah....


    On a more serious side, "Why believe something you cannot figure out? Faith is a state of being where you put your entire belief in a system that is flawed."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer

    OK. Your not going to agree with me and vice versa, so lets stop this, its getting pointless.
    It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. You keep putting yourself behind the eight ball and can't get out without getting whacked.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer

    OK. Your not going to agree with me and vice versa, so lets stop this, its getting pointless.
    It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. You keep putting yourself behind the eight ball and can't get out without getting whacked.
    Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen
    Ok, lets end this down svwillmer. The fact that you believe in talking hedgehogs is proof enough that I am right and you are wrong... Yeah....
    Your dissing Sonic? tut tut tut.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    I was wondering that...why does a 20 year old have characters from a kid's video game in his signature?
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    I was wondering that...why does a 20 year old have characters from a kid's video game in his signature?
    Because he was a kid when Sonic made his debut.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen View Post
    Wow, when did fact become opinionated ignorance? Thats whats so wrong with religion these days and why so many scientists are athiests. Because religious people don't take kindly to factual evidance of science. Your just like those christian scientists who don't believe dinosaurs walked the earth.
    Incase you weren't aware, it was a monk that came up with the big bang theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  87. #86  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen View Post
    YOU CANNOT PROVE something is NOT there. You can only prove that something IS there.
    You CAN, however, prove that something is a physical impossibility. However, religious people would say that God doesn't need to be possible to exist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  88. #87  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj4541 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verzen View Post
    Wow, when did fact become opinionated ignorance? Thats whats so wrong with religion these days and why so many scientists are athiests. Because religious people don't take kindly to factual evidance of science. Your just like those christian scientists who don't believe dinosaurs walked the earth.
    Incase you weren't aware, it was a monk that came up with the big bang theory.

    As PhDemon pointed out, Georges Lematre was a priest, not a monk.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  89. #88  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    To respond to the 6 year old OP, I got married because it is a government-recognized union that grants me rights in regards to my wife. We had a traditional marriage ceremony because she is Christian and I couldn't care less about the words the person marrying us says.

    There is a difference between marriage and holy matrimony, in my opinion. It's the foundation for legalizing gay marriage in our country. It isn't about God anymore.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  90. #89  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantime View Post
    But it derives from religion so its hypocritcal of you isn't it? No offense :wink:.
    Because it doesn't derive from religion, any more than the lifetime and faithful mating of turtle doves, gibbons and many other animals.

    Interestingly, for US and British members here, its recognition as part of British common law was never religious in it's requirements--it was as simple as two people professing their love and commitment for one another in front of a town authority or saying they had even without witness in the woods. It is still this way in the US with church officials only able to marry people at the behest of the state and having zero autonomous authority to marry without the State's permission and meeting the State's requirements. In short in the US, it's always been a secular event.

    My wife and I were married by a JOP 28 years ago in front of a close circle of friends and deeply religious extended family at my inlaws farm house. It was mostly deeply religious Catholics on my side and a slightly less religious group of Methodist on my wife's side. It would have made things somewhat interesting if not for the solid support and attendance by both sets of Grand Parents, who were in many ways more tolerant than many of the younger members. There were many examples of couples running off to get married without family's consent because of ridiculous "they aren't the same religion" arguments on both sides of the family. Think the grandparents were glad we were doing it in the open. Our marriage today one of the longest running and still going strong.
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; September 2nd, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    The Holy Land is everywhere Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  91. #90  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    I'll just point out that Quantime is no longer a Christian and in fact is an atheist at present.


    Also, I couldn't give two hoots if Lemaitre was a practising Mesmer magnetic healing kook. Fact is, he produced proper science done according to the scientific method. End of story.
    MrMojo1 and seagypsy like this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  92. #91  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Justice of the Peace.

    No religion involved.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  93. #92  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39
    I notice this is a resurrected post. Just wanted to comment on this:

    just ensure that atheists don't critise it in a way that would be offensive. Take me for instance, I'd rather make myself sound stupid than insult you lot.
    I don't agree with this. We must be brave enough to tell people if something they believe is stupid. The truth will be the truth no matter if you like to believe it or not. But I agree that we should not argue with the purpose to offend, we should argue with the purpose to make a point but if you are a strong believer arguments disproving the belief will be offensive even if it's not the intention.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  94. #93  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by zunc View Post
    I notice this is a resurrected post. Just wanted to comment on this:

    just ensure that atheists don't critise it in a way that would be offensive. Take me for instance, I'd rather make myself sound stupid than insult you lot.
    I don't agree with this. We must be brave enough to tell people if something they believe is stupid. The truth will be the truth no matter if you like to believe it or not. But I agree that we should not argue with the purpose to offend, we should argue with the purpose to make a point but if you are a strong believer arguments disproving the belief will be offensive even if it's not the intention.
    People will not change their mind because you think they are wrong.

    Telling someone that what they think is stupid is not going to get you anywhere. It is counterproductive.

    Discussing your views, without being IN THEIR FACE, might be much more condusive for them to listen and think about what you said.

    Frankly, your approach, would not convince me, or make me listen. It would leave me cold and uninterested.

    Diplomacy is a wisely learned approach in most aspects of life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  95. #94  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Because it doesn't derive from religion
    Indeed. The Christian church didn't really begin to consider marriage as a religious thing until the 12th century. It wasn't formally recognised by the church until the 16th century.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  96. #95  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39
    People will not change their mind because you think they are wrong.

    Telling someone that what they think is stupid is not going to get you anywhere. It is counterproductive.

    Discussing your views, without being IN THEIR FACE, might be much more condusive for them to listen and think about what you said.

    Frankly, your approach, would not convince me, or make me listen. It would leave me cold and uninterested.

    Diplomacy is a wisely learned approach in most aspects of life.
    I think you misunderstand me. I don't mean telling people to their face that what they believe is stupid. That would be to argue with the intention to offend / insult them. But I think that it's important to argue in a civilized manner with factual arguments against opinions that you concider as stupid and making the one you argue with realize that the belief is stupid with evidence. And not letting it go because you are afraid of offending them. For example creationists that teach their children that dinosaurs and humans lived together and that denies evolution. That offends me because I think it's very ignorant, but they are welcome to voice their opinion anyway. I listen to their arguments and challenge them with facts, and I want them to do the same even if they are scared to offend me. It's free speech and we can't be afraid to discuss with eachother because it might offend them. That does not benefit anyone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  97. #96  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantime View Post
    If they don't believe in God why perform a religious act?
    Many atheists don't. They are married in a civil ceremony.

    Can atheists get married in chruch without being contradictory, can they get married at all without being contradictory
    Sure. The only thing that matters in a marriage are the promises you make to the person you are marrying.

    You may be making the classic mistake that many religious types make. Churches do not marry two people; two people marry each other.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  98. #97  
    Forum Sophomore Nisslbody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    Please provide evidence that marriage is a religious act.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  99. #98  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    How do atheist get married?

    Godlessly.

    (Gee, that was simple. Got any harder questions?)
    ....................
    Nisslbody:
    see mark 10:9
    and
    mathew 19:6
    Marriage is a religious act for those who wish it to be one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  100. #99  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Comparatively cheaply.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  101. #100  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    Mistakenly?

    Married for 25, divorced for 10. The latter has been better than the former.
    anticorncob28 likes this.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •