Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: this is one angry lady

  1. #1 this is one angry lady 
    Forum Sophomore susan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    121
    his young gay atheist lady has some anger to vent.
    http://gretachristina.typepad.com/gr...ts-and-an.html
    and can you blame her.
    Religion after all does cause a multitude of problems


    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: this is one angry lady 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by susan
    his young gay atheist lady has some anger to vent.
    http://gretachristina.typepad.com/gr...ts-and-an.html
    and can you blame her.
    Religion after all does cause a multitude of problems
    all you have done is indicate that christianity and islam has some problems (and even then, only in particular time, places and circumstannces - and given the political baggage that such terms are carrying at the moment, hardly an adroit conclusion )

    and even then, are the words christianity/islam and religion synonymous?
    If not, better that you form a more honest conclusion to your suggestions of evidence


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: this is one angry lady 
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by punarmusiko
    Quote Originally Posted by susan
    his young gay atheist lady has some anger to vent.
    http://gretachristina.typepad.com/gr...ts-and-an.html
    and can you blame her.
    Religion after all does cause a multitude of problems
    all you have done is indicate that christianity and islam has some problems (and even then, only in particular time, places and circumstannces - and given the political baggage that such terms are carrying at the moment, hardly an adroit conclusion )

    and even then, are the words christianity/islam and religion synonymous?
    If not, better that you form a more honest conclusion to your suggestions of evidence
    All religions are harmfull in one way or the other, because they don't leave room for people to be different.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I got like a 5th of the way down and couldn't be bothered. In the UK all religious and non-religious people (mostly) tolerate and understand each other-its hard in London not to have at least 6 different religious or non-religious people in your group of friends-you do get on. The ones that kill others and make life a misery are the ones that say they have religon nut abuse it-force people to do things using it-that is the works of the devil (or some general person who hasn't got a life-which ever way you wanna look at it) who does it to force ill comforts between people-like beleivers and non-beleivers or both of the two, vice versa.

    This person who wrote this in my 'stereotyped' opinion (even though it says it in the text) is a full blown USA citizen-they are always angry people and there is evidence to prove that the majority are-buts thats probably because of what was described in that text. I'll just say this, there are good people and there are bad people-both on believing sides and on non-beleiving sides-just see for yourself who is good and who is bad and then make your own assumption on why they are that way-then follow your way of life-and if it's wrong? You did whatever you thought was right given your upbrigning and circumstances so do your best.

    PS it is has been proven through psychological research that religious people-TRUE religious people are much less angry-I myself still get angry at some drivers and other inconviniences, but don't get eat up by them as much. I still have a long way to go, but if you look at the ones who have true beleif-are invisible you would never known they were there. Just shows I don't really have true beleif-either that or I do and just want to help other people understand things in a calm mood. But thats just my interperetation of this angry person. One more thing-angry people aren't often in charge of anything due to that, so thats probably why most presidents are religious.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    PS it is has been proven through psychological research that religious people-TRUE religious people are much less angry
    firstly you say you got about a fifth of the way down we'll come back to that, to the statement above could you provide links to this assertion thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    -I myself still get angry at some drivers and other inconviniences, but don't get eat up by them as much. I still have a long way to go, but if you look at the ones who have true beleif-are invisible you would never known they were there. Just shows I don't really have true beleif-either that or I do and just want to help other people understand things in a calm mood. But thats just my interperetation of this angry person. One more thing-angry people aren't often in charge of anything due to that, so thats probably why most presidents are religious.
    you obviously hadn't read it at all as you assumed this person was constantly angry.
    but if you had read the opening paragraph at least, you would have understood that.
    heres what she said,

    "I want to talk about atheists and anger.

    This has been a hard piece to write, and it may be a hard one to read. I'm not going to be as polite and good-tempered as I usually am in this blog; this piece is about anger, and for once I'm going to fucking well let myself be angry."

    please dont make a derogatory comment in the future, without at least reading what your condemning, thank you.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I apologise for whatever I insulted you by being the way I am. See your angry lol! I said it was my interpretation. I guessed you would have assumed that that was attributed to me not reading it. You do make a good point and are entitled to be angry. But then thats the whole point of that text, so it proves that atheists are generally more angry people-as you've proved that in this one instance. Thank you though for showing me what I did that could be misinterpereted I'll amend that in future posts.

    PS I'd like to also say that atheists generally direct their anger in the way of believers and not between each other-Why is this? It is offensive when all we are doing is believing in something.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: this is one angry lady 
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by punarmusiko
    and even then, are the words christianity/islam and religion synonymous?
    in one word : yes

    both may have spread out to become cultural phenomena, but in essence they still boil down to religion
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: this is one angry lady 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously
    Quote Originally Posted by punarmusiko
    Quote Originally Posted by susan
    his young gay atheist lady has some anger to vent.
    http://gretachristina.typepad.com/gr...ts-and-an.html
    and can you blame her.
    Religion after all does cause a multitude of problems
    all you have done is indicate that christianity and islam has some problems (and even then, only in particular time, places and circumstannces - and given the political baggage that such terms are carrying at the moment, hardly an adroit conclusion )

    and even then, are the words christianity/islam and religion synonymous?
    If not, better that you form a more honest conclusion to your suggestions of evidence
    All religions are harmfull in one way or the other, because they don't leave room for people to be different.
    the only people who make such statements are those who's study of world religions are superficial
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: this is one angry lady 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by punarmusiko
    and even then, are the words christianity/islam and religion synonymous?
    in one word : yes

    both may have spread out to become cultural phenomena, but in essence they still boil down to religion
    I think you miss the point

    there is more to the word "religion" than two examples of it (and there is more to islam and christianity than the superficial politically surcharged versions of it you are alluding to)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by svwillmer
    PS I'd like to also say that atheists generally direct their anger in the way of believers and not between each other-Why is this? It is offensive when all we are doing is believing in something.
    This happens in every subject. The religion thread naturally becomes divided into two main groups, theist's and atheist's, with one or two agnostic's in between.

    -------------Edit----------------

    And i'm pretty sure any sociologists would be/are creaming their pants reading though all the post's here.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    religion is the belief in a non-existent entity/entities, that will grant them favours in life by prayer or offerings, and will give eternal life after death.

    in other news, E = MC^2. theres more to it than that, but this is the essence of it.
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44
    What a friggin hypocrite

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    please dont make a derogatory comment in the future, without at least reading ...
    Annoying isn't it???

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    "Irreligious countries had the lowest infant-mortality rate (number of deaths per 1,000 live births), and religious countries had the highest rates. According to the 2004 CIA World Factbook - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook "
    No such statements found at that link.

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    there is a 1 in 6 chance you will be killed in karachi... http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/31/3/581 )
    http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/31/3/581 The truth is,
    "Karachi, Pakistan, between October 1993 and January 1996, 4091 people sustained violent injuries" in a population of 16 million.

    1 in 6 GUY? What did you read? You didn't even read the title or the conclusion!


    Posts can be found at http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...=8600&start=15


    
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Well I would say that this blog is an interesting demonstration of how you can take a few legitimate causes for anger and outrage and blame it on something you want to make a target of hatred and then trump it up with a lot of self-serving subjective impressions and fustrations in order to paint your target as something monstrous. It is an old propaganda technique used at all times in history to manufacture justification for violence or self-serving manipulations of public opinion and politics.

    There are plenty of religious people who share this persons anger for all the legitimate causes that are expressed in this blog and they are the ones who are really doing something constructive about them. Being one of these religious people I certainly have no wish to silence anyone about these concerns, but a rant is still a rant, and the irrational is still irrational, and the double standard judgements are still hypocritical. The world has a enough problems with people screwing things up with best of intentions because of ignorance and other types of personal inadequacies without going out your way to justify the hatred of other people.

    To Greta I would say: Yeah ok, so you are angry. Go ahead and vent it if you like. But your fustration at the fact that the world is not going all your way according to your opinion of how it should, is just a little bit laughable. Grow up.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    What a friggin hypocrite

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    please dont make a derogatory comment in the future, without at least reading ...
    Annoying isn't it???

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    taken from here
    http://www.secularhumanism.org/index...zuckerman_26_5
    "Irreligious countries had the lowest infant-mortality rate (number of deaths per 1,000 live births), and religious countries had the highest rates. According to the 2004 CIA World Factbook - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook "
    No such statements found at that link.
    then your not looking, I'll help you out as it's seem too hard for you, to the left and just down the page, you will find "Search The World Factbook" click it and it takes you to another page this is where the info is you cant find, you just write in infant mortality rates and shazam, it's there, see how easy it is. hope that helps. NOTEbolded) I added the part you omited from my post, ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    there is a 1 in 6 chance you will be killed in karachi... http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/31/3/581 )
    is this the same as the above quote of mine you posted, is it a direct quote from another site no! it's my presumption, do I state it as absolute truth, no! you have assumed it as fact.
    Thats your failing I didn't supply a link, to verify it as fact, now did I. If you care to read the entire link you can workout, roughly how many deaths there are, and probably come to a similar conclusion, which of course I doubt, as trolls never do.

    Posts can be found at http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...=8600&start=15


    
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Here here mitchellmckain. I'm glad that there are people alike in this world who can agree with each other. It is hypocritical of atheists to blame religion for problems in the world. After all what about people that are forced to live on the street? The sick and the poor that rich people make by taking their money-that is not religion that causes these problems-nor does it cause the problems of sociological neglect of children that grow up to be criminals and cause the notable problems.

    Hardly any problems in this country are caused ny religious people-its only the fanatic ones who do. All religious people IN GENERAL day to day go abouts get along with each other-One of my friends is Hindu, one is Islamic-one is even Buddhist with me as the Christian and we get on so well and enjoy company and have our own philosiphies about the world.

    Religion helps people-churches help the poor and the needy-they give support and advice. People turn to God because their so called 'friends' leave them and abuse them so they have nothing-it is then that some people may turn to God-knowing that there is someone that WILL help them in some way or form. Folks need hope to keep them going. Why take that away from them and why get mad about it. Sure religion in some places and times of the world has caused problems-but look at the good things it does on a daily basis.

    To quote Futurama's God's philosiphy (which is spot on I beleive):
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all".

    That makes a lot of sense-you know about suicide bombings by terrorists with extreme Muslim beleifs-you know them because what they do is wrong. But the religious people and people in general that help people is never seen by atheists and why? Because your anger is blindness. To quote a verse from a hymn.

    "Was blind, but now I see".

    Seems very appropriate, you don't understand because you cannot see it, if you did see it-you would understand why people have religion.

    As for terrorists and how they got their religion? Who knows. All I know is that I beleive in God, Jesus etc and I am a happy person-granted I get a bit angry now and again, but I'm only human. As long as I'm happy and I don't hurt anyone with my beleifs-what is wrong with having them?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty

    http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/31/3/581 The truth is,
    "Karachi, Pakistan, between October 1993 and January 1996, 4091 people sustained violent injuries" in a population of 16 million.
    Can I ask where you get your 4091 figure from?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •