Notices
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Are you afraid to reveal you're really atheist?

  1. #1 Are you afraid to reveal you're really atheist? 
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Do you actually not believe in the crackpot claims of religion, but fear the consequences of refusing to follow a religion that is imposed on you?


    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,416
    There's a big problem about revealing that you are an atheist in some places in the USA. Some people of belief has the nasty habit of judging atheist for being in league with Satan or something...

    Atheism is supposed to be recognized as evil in religions like Islam and Christianity if I'm not mistaking. That is mostly why people of belief don't like atheists I believe.

    So there are reasons to be afraid of revealing that you're an atheist in some places.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Are you afraid to reveal you're really atheist? 
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofMaxwell
    Do you actually not believe in the crackpot claims of religion, but fear the consequences of refusing to follow a religion that is imposed on you?
    1. Not all claims of religion are crackpot.
    2. No religion has ever been imposed on me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Are you afraid to reveal you're really atheist? 
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofMaxwell
    Do you actually not believe in the crackpot claims of religion, but fear the consequences of refusing to follow a religion that is imposed on you?
    I have a lack of belief, in all supernatural claims, which includes God/Gods, Fairies, and Dragons, etc....However some may say, not all religious claims are crazy, but this would only be if they aren’t, claiming some supernatural or spiritual aspect.
    Which I've yet to find any that doesn’t.

    Yes I was indoctrinated into a religion from birth, much like most people, but I am a person that questions/ed everything I decide/d for myself if something is right.
    My mind and my body are mine. I don’t cower to nothing or nobody.

    I have no fear of irrational imaginary things.
    There are no monsters in the dark, there are no monsters in the closet, and there are no monster under the bed, but there are good but irrational people, and purely evil people in this world, unfortunately the dangers are there.

    being instilled with fear of a monster in the sky is child abuse and should be outlawed, a child should be able to decide for itself, if it wishes to follow a religion, not have it enforced on them.
    In my household the only discussions regarding religion are done on the internet, other than that it's just childish interest. My eldest child is just learning about different religions around the world, and seems quite fascinated by the things they do. Especially animalism i.e. American Indians and aborigines etc...
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Just to make it clear, I did mean : Do you fear the consequences of this world? i.e. violence and ostracism.
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofMaxwell
    Just to make it clear, I did mean : Do you fear the consequences of this world? i.e. violence and ostracism.
    I've always been afraid of ostriches. Those long necks and that mean kick. :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Yeah those guys are so ostentatious.
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    I'll third that. Ostriches are nasty. I feel we're really making progress in this thread now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    Fourthed. Thread made Epic via an ostrich.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Masters Degree geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    london
    Posts
    544
    but what about the emu's, dont the ostriches cousins get a say too.

    and Ghost I think I answered the fear question hear,
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    but there are good but irrational people, and purely evil people in this world, unfortunately the dangers are there.
    we are talking afterall about the religious, are we not.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense - Buddha"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously
    Atheism is supposed to be recognized as evil in religions like Islam and Christianity if I'm not mistaking. That is mostly why people of belief don't like atheists I believe.
    Nope, they just can't stand that someone does not buy in their crap and refuse to throw themselves to the ground and howl to some "supernatural" beeing telling them what to do instead of thinking for themselves.

    Killing someone whose opinion does not agree with your own always was more convenient than discussinng their point of view.

    Well, I for myself have decided to be no longer tolerant towards those religious butt-nuts. F*** them. We have the freedom of speech and I will voice my oppinion about fairy tales like the Bible, Koran or any other crackpot BS they can throw at me. I don't care what they do in their private homes or meeting places. As far as I'm concerned they can smother each other in doodoo, stick a peacock feather up their asses and bang their heads aginst the wall untill they drop dead. Fine. It's their problem. But don't you friggin' dare to tell me to do the same. Than you will find out what the term ANGRY really means!
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    but what about the emu's, dont the ostriches cousins get a say too.

    and Ghost I think I answered the fear question hear,
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    but there are good but irrational people, and purely evil people in this world, unfortunately the dangers are there.
    we are talking afterall about the religious, are we not.
    I missed that. Anyhooo, the purpose was to ask if there are people who do not believe the bullcrap/sound religious musings preached to them, but follow it anyway because they are in physical fear of the social consequences. These would be different to the people who wholeheartedly buy into the hell fury and eternity with the Harry potter novelist.
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously
    There's a big problem about revealing that you are an atheist in some places in the USA. Some people of belief has the nasty habit of judging atheist for being in league with Satan or something...
    Yeah, that's the one that always confused me the most; people who somehow assume that you worship satan when you tell them that you don't believe in god. It's like accusing someone of being in league with werewolves when they tell you that they don't believe in vampires.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    321
    Not afraid but aware sometimes. Then again, most of my family, friends and colleagues are atheists or don't think much about religion. Numbers of 'believers' of Jesus are always grossly exaggerated and this gives the hateful Christians the appearance of more power to bully than they actually have.

    the following is a great website for frank discussion on the progressive movement towards atheism and intelligent discussion of science, etc.

    http://richarddawkins.net/forum/sear...ch_id=newposts
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    I generally get a surprised response where people dont want to talk about it; they'd just rather ignore that fact and then apparently feel sorry for me
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Well I don't pretend to be religious but I don't go out of my way to make it known that I'm an atheist either. Though since I am also agnostic, when forced to label myself I usually start with agnostic and go from there.
    A lot of people are ignorant and it's just not worth my time to go "I'm atheist" and deal with the stupidass questions like "Where do you get your morals from".
    They say there's no such thing as a stupid question but that's not always the case.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino
    Well I don't pretend to be religious but I don't go out of my way to make it known that I'm an atheist either. Though since I am also agnostic, when forced to label myself I usually start with agnostic and go from there.
    A lot of people are ignorant and it's just not worth my time to go "I'm atheist" and deal with the stupidass questions like "Where do you get your morals from".
    They say there's no such thing as a stupid question but that's not always the case.
    It kind of makes sense if you think about. All of our morals are rooted back to religion after all.

    As an evolutionist you're suppose to believe that sooner or later everyone's going to die and really life's either just about procreating for a sense of immortality or to just get in your kicks while you can, right? Under this viewpoint altruism is an idiot's game; if you can knock over a bank and get away with it logically you should. Now banks aren't that easy to steal from, but the point is made.

    Now I realize I just quoted you calling the question a stupid-ass question, but having said what I did, you now have me curious to how you rationalize the topic. Could you please share?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    they have that problem in pakistan today.
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Sophomore BioHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Marks, Portland, Liberty City
    Posts
    109
    Hmmm, lets see, risking social rejection and complete expulsion plus the small chance of being killed…preferably by a relative.
    I guess I am a bit afraid…of going public, I’ve never seen an Ostrich.
    "When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defence is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot - the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of the immortal soul" Desmond Morris
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Sophomore susan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydude
    All of our morals are rooted back to religion after all.
    If you believe that then you've got to be an imbecile.
    Humanity’s values and morals evolved during the development of human society and history - they were not “god-given.” Religion developed as a way of teaching and enforcing these values, amongst other things. It was not the source of these values.
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it. If it hadn't we would have gone the way of the dodo, by now.
    If you are going to come on a science forum do try to talk sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydude
    Now I realize I just quoted you calling the question a stupid-ass question, but having said what I did, you now have me curious to how you rationalize the topic. Could you please share?
    well given your opening statement it would be too hard for you to understand, now wouldn't it.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by BioHazard
    Hmmm, lets see, risking social rejection and complete expulsion plus the small chance of being killed…preferably by a relative.
    I guess I am a bit afraid…of going public, I’ve never seen an Ostrich.
    So do you attend church and all that shit?
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by susan
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it. If it hadn't we would have gone the way of the dodo, by now.
    Hey! You may be a pretty face but Leave Dodos out of this, the Ostriches will get the feeling you dont like them.
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    All of our morals are rooted back to religion after all
    Where the heck did you get THIS idea from??

    So you say killing someone that does not pray to the same god you do is O.K. (like the brain dead fundamentalists of all flavors show us right this very moment over and over again??)
    And the Koran and the Bible both promote: hate, bigottry, racism, intolerance and suppression

    That is also why slavery got abolished when??? Ummmm...I think that was in the 19th century. Before that it was perfectly fine with all theists. And what about all men beeing created equal? This also comes from which book of the Bible? Oh, no wait ......that's from the UN Charta.

    And altruism does not contradict evolution as saving your offspring actually increases the chances of your genes surviving.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    nice photo of josie maran, susan
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Sophomore susan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    leeds
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    nice photo of josie maran, susan
    sorry that's not josie. that is Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra also Miss World 2000, if I put a picture of me up, you'd think I'd just left Hogwarts.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Sophomore BioHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Marks, Portland, Liberty City
    Posts
    109
    No I dont attend the Mosque, but when asked if I did a spirtual act I say that I did.
    "When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defence is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot - the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of the immortal soul" Desmond Morris
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    52
    Do you have old documentation of it rooting from somewhere else? Because if you don't for all we know the first guy to claim there was a god could have started the very first rules based off his own superstition or interests. The existing empirical evidence is the religious writings because there isn't works mentioning the beginning of society. Everything is speculation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Ph.D. GhostofMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thames estuary
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by susan
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    nice photo of josie maran, susan
    sorry that's not josie. that is Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra also Miss World 2000, if I put a picture of me up, you'd think I'd just left Hogwarts.
    Pweezzzzz show us! I bet you are even better than that 80s pic of someone from crappywood.
    Es ist Zeit für sauberen



    You guys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydude
    Do you have old documentation of it rooting from somewhere else? Because if you don't for all we know the first guy to claim there was a god could have started the very first rules based off his own superstition or interests. The existing empirical evidence is the religious writings because there isn't works mentioning the beginning of society. Everything is speculation.
    For starters the Greek pantheon of Gods did not deliver, or require adherence to a particular moral code. They were as much into internecine warfare, incest, back stabbing, self aggrandisment as the next patriarchal leader. The morality of the Greeks was based upon social and cultural pressures and habits.
    You are simply mistaken in your understanding of these particular matters HappyDude.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Do you have old documentation of it rooting from somewhere else? Because if you don't for all we know the first guy to claim there was a god could have started the very first rules based off his own superstition or interests
    And that's why theists claim that all for themselves. Hey, so why does a fairy tale book claim that adultary is punishable by lapidation? Pretty morals, don't you think. And no it's not the Koran, it is the Bible. Ohhhhh, thats not to be taken literallly of course, how dumb of me!! This is just some old legend that can be disregarded, you say?? Just like always, the "bad" passages are thrown out as "folk tales" or " a just an allegory" and the "good" passages have to be taken literally. I see. So why the f*** do those theists just pick what's O.k. for them and discard other things in the blink of an eye.
    But as far as I am concerned, moral roots back way befor the worship of some ubiquitous "supernatural beeing".

    BTW......you are an atheist for 99.99% of all "gods" mankind has worshiped since the beginning of time, I just include yours in my atheism so what's the big difference
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,416
    If people can pick and choose what's right and what's wrong in the bible, then we clearly get our morals elsewhere. Simple.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    You are simply mistaken in your understanding of these particular matters HappyDude.
    I expect that I might be often. I joined to get more answers than give.

    Thank you Ophiolite for your response. I am ashamed to say my study of the Greeks is not what it could be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    BTW......you are an atheist for 99.99% of all "gods" mankind has worshiped since the beginning of time, I just include yours in my atheism so what's the big difference :mrgreen:
    Nice point there, it is just too sad that no theist will ever understand that.

    But hell I'm just gonna go and robb a bank, no wait did you guys know that there has been a new research in american prisons. yeah well guess what it said. 75% of all inmates was religious before they got imprisoned and among them 50% christian, thats funny don't you think. well it proves that our morals come form the bible.

    exodus 31:15

    For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.

    Numbers 15:32-36

    32 While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, 34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. 35 Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." 36 So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

    2 Chronicles 15:13

    All who would not seek the LORD, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman.

    Luke 19:27-28

    27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me."
    28After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    So, has anyone said that they would feel persecuted in this world for admitting atheism?

    No fear of persecution as far as I am concerned. I would be initially uncomfortable, but no more uncomfortable than I am when some others admit to belief in young earth creationism.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by free radical
    So, has anyone said that they would feel persecuted in this world for admitting atheism?

    No fear of persecution as far as I am concerned. I would be initially uncomfortable, but no more uncomfortable than I am when some others admit to belief in young earth creationism.
    I suspect that's what BioHazard said. But then, some of the posts here are a bit elliptical for an old duffer like me.

    For what it's worth, I was living in India (and not yet in my teens) when I told my parents that I was an atheist. No temper, no ostracism, no tantrums, no violence. I stopped going to the temple and participating in the religious rituals (pujas) that the extended family performed on feast days. My grandmother was a bit put out by this as I was the second oldest male in the family line (the maternal one) and therefore, when my uncle was late at work, I was usually the one who performed the pujas. My younger cousin had to be called upon and his hand-eye co-ordination wasn't yet up to scratch!

    In fact the only time I have ever felt any open hostility to my atheism, that I usually point out early on in an acquaintanceship (in order to avoid misunderstanding), was when one of my team members and I were chatting a few years ago. She was aghast to hear of my atheism and I know that she was never again quite as friendly to me. But this is awfully minor on the scale of discrimination that atheists can/do suffer in other circumstances, so hey!

    Glad to have found this forum (yes, this is my first post), and hoping I can make some worthwhile contributions.

    cheer

    the sunshine warrior (my screen name seems to have been too long for the system to handle - I should have paid more attention)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    Ah, yes, I somehow mis-parsed Biohazard's posts. (The ostriches were a bit of a distraction.)

    Dawkins posits that atheists in the states today are in a similar social (or political?) position as homosexuals were, a generation ago. Does the general response from this thread support that, I wonder.

    Biohazard, I would hazard a guess that you are not in the states. When I was younger, I would go through the motions of religiosity, but it was more for the social opportunities (good place to meet singles) than anything else.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Sophomore BioHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Marks, Portland, Liberty City
    Posts
    109
    In here (Middle-East: Gulf) Gays are frowned upon and given empty threats but have hangouts and communities. Atheists on the other hand are dangerous "creatures" that should be delt with immediatly before they recruit more people into their "satanist cults".
    I wonder what would happen to a person who is publicly both gay and atheist.
    "When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defence is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot - the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of the immortal soul" Desmond Morris
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38 Re: Are you afraid to reveal you're really atheist? 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofthechangingavatars
    Do you actually not believe in the crackpot claims of religion, but fear the consequences of refusing to follow a religion that is imposed on you?
    If I were atheist, I wouldn't be afraid to reveal it... though I wouldn't just come out and say it bluntly.
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Sophomore BioHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Marks, Portland, Liberty City
    Posts
    109
    Easy for you to say.
    "When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defence is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot - the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of the immortal soul" Desmond Morris
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •