Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: christianity in china

  1. #1 christianity in china 
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Has anyone else heard that the fastest growing religion in china is christianity, any ideas on why this phenomenon is happening with christianity, especially those who belong to the underground Protestant “house” churches not sanctioned by the Chinese authorities

    Ive also read that the numbers have now passed the members of the chinese communist part(which is around 70million),


    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    didn't someone already bring this up?


    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    didn't someone already bring this up?
    dont know, any link? i was watching a documentary on china last night and it was mentioned, but not that indepth
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: christianity in china 
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,578
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Has anyone else heard that the fastest growing religion in china is christianity,
    And just when I thought China was coming out of the dark ages. Pity. Then again, some people might try anything to get the hell out of there.

    I remember the 'Boat People' who washed up on Canada's shores many years ago. Many of them were sponsored by religious organizations on the pretext they would be given a chance at freedom if they joined the church. Many did but only to forget about and leave their sponsors once they established themselves.

    The Olympics are coming to Beijing so many know that the west is going to be there soon. Got to look good.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,578
    OK, let's pretend this story is 100% accurate instead of the biased bunch of baloney it represents.

    Is it a good thing in the Christian religion for people to suffer humiliation. physical harm and even death at the hands of non-believers?

    I had the feeling that the pro Christian writer of that article was practically having an orgasm because of the alleged foul treatment of Chinese Christians. It's as if their maltreatment endorses their religion somehow. I find it bordering on lunacy, rejoicing in the sacrifice and subsequent abuse of their fellow fanatics. Does their religion feed on suffering? What is their mandate?

    And the Chinese malcontents....what are they afraid of? Christians? I don't think so. Something about the Christians or what they bring has them upset, but what?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    OK, let's pretend this story is 100% accurate instead of the biased bunch of baloney it represents.
    ...
    And the Chinese malcontents....what are they afraid of? Christians? I don't think so. Something about the Christians or what they bring has them upset, but what?
    Time/CNN is pretty mainstream. Why do you say it is biased? Do you think the Chinese don't discourage religion? I knew a guy who went there as a missionary. He had to work at another job to hide what he was doing. When he sent messages back home he had to use code words to disguise his missionary work. He was also limited to a few years stay there, after which he went to Vietnam. According to the article the Chinese don't like religious activity because historically that has been the source of a lot of political unrest there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1229123,00.html
    thanks for the link. The documentary is more of a travel log/doc from a uk comedian, the main guy he interviewed was Zhang Rongliang, who spent a over a decades inside for his preaching
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    didn't someone already bring this up?
    dont know, any link? i was watching a documentary on china last night and it was mentioned, but not that indepth
    I think it was on the Philosophy Forums. Someone said it's a lie, someone else said it can't be proven, and another person said he can't see it happening because the government will try to put it down at the first sign of it's rising (because of a fear of overthrow/too much power in one group). That's what they said. Not my opinions: I have no opinion on the issue.
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: christianity in china 
    Forum Bachelors Degree charles brough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    joplin MO USA
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Has anyone else heard that the fastest growing religion in china is christianity, any ideas on why this phenomenon is happening with christianity, especially those who belong to the underground Protestant “house” churches not sanctioned by the Chinese authorities

    Ive also read that the numbers have now passed the members of the chinese communist part(which is around 70million),
    Christianity is gowing fast in China because the people are not impressed by the Marx Lennist secular faith the Party functions under. The young chinese won't go back to their old religion, which is their 4,500 year old ancestor worship and tied in with all their customs. (Budhism, Taoism and Confusianism are mere sects of the old faith). But the old faith is too old and outgrown.

    They are more receptive to Christinaity. After all, the Bapstists, Evangelicals and the Penticostals have had a lot of experience in teaching the faith in an evotional, healing-mirical laden way! They are good at getting excited and moving growds to come up and "accept the blood of Christ." They have become expert at putting on a good show! It is electric, impressive, emotional and appealing to the common people. It is growing faster than Islam.

    The situation is even more so in India. I belong to a Hindu website and get frequent e-mails expressing their dismay and helpelssness over the flood of Christian evangelism in their Country. They feel put upon. since they do not even control their own government (the government is run by Muslims, Marxists, secularists and the Brahmin rich), they are unable to do anything to stop it.

    charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •