Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What saddens me about monothiestic religions....

  1. #1 What saddens me about monothiestic religions.... 
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    People in religions like Christianity or Islam or Judaism so often focus just on the part about God being a powerful being, and how we would react with a powerful person if we were wise.

    They don't really put a lot of attention into the philosophy. The idea that God actually has to be just is changed to the idea that, because he's so powerful, anything he does is just, even if it would be evil for you or me to do. It becomes "might makes right" instead of "might for right".

    I think this is why so many christians are bullies, and muslims appear to actually worship the act of bullying.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: What saddens me about monothiestic religions.... 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    People in religions like Christianity or Islam or Judaism so often focus just on the part about God being a powerful being, and how we would react with a powerful person if we were wise.

    They don't really put a lot of attention into the philosophy. The idea that God actually has to be just is changed to the idea that, because he's so powerful, anything he does is just, even if it would be evil for you or me to do. It becomes "might makes right" instead of "might for right".

    I think this is why so many christians are bullies, and muslims appear to actually worship the act of bullying.
    does god have to be just according to your perspective of justice or some other perspective in order to be 'god'?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: What saddens me about monothiestic religions.... 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    People in religions like Christianity or Islam or Judaism so often focus just on the part about God being a powerful being, and how we would react with a powerful person if we were wise.

    They don't really put a lot of attention into the philosophy. The idea that God actually has to be just is changed to the idea that, because he's so powerful, anything he does is just, even if it would be evil for you or me to do. It becomes "might makes right" instead of "might for right".

    I think this is why so many christians are bullies, and muslims appear to actually worship the act of bullying.
    What's this got to do with whether a religion is mono- or poly- theistic? Surely anything polytheistic gods do is right in the eyes of polytheists.
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    I don't accept your premise that so many Christians or Muslims are bullies. Compared to whom, atheists? Would you call Stalin a bully? How about Mao Tse Tung?

    Compared to polytheists? The Aztecs cut out the hearts of plenty of human sacrifice victims with obsidian knives on their pyramid altars.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Compared to people that don't have religion, or are barely affiliated. This observation is more on the personal level than the world scale. A lot of christians I meet in everyday life tend to bully people.



    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    What's this got to do with whether a religion is mono- or poly- theistic? Surely anything polytheistic gods do is right in the eyes of polytheists.
    Polythiests usually don't see it as right or wrong. Two different polythiestic gods in the same pantheon might advise two different behaviors in any given situation. They might percieve the teachings of their favorite god to be more sensible than those of someone else's favorite, but basically right and wrong aren't defined by their god's wills.

    Zeus didn't teach people to cheat on their wives. He cheated on his, but it wasn't a teaching that, in order to be worthy of the love of Zeus one must cheat on his wife.

    Quote Originally Posted by punarmusiko
    does god have to be just according to your perspective of justice or some other perspective in order to be 'god'?
    Do you think there's no absolute perspective? If one takes the right ethical perspective, could they find some way to be justified in becoming a pedophile? How about a mass rapist?

    I like to think there must be such a thing as an absolute right and wrong.... at least in some cases.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Compared to people that don't have religion, or are barely affiliated. This observation is more on the personal level than the world scale. A lot of christians I meet in everyday life tend to bully people.
    I think if you are going to make a claim you should support it in some manner, especially on a science forum. A personal observation? Give an example. What exactly do you think is bullying? The examples I gave do indicate that atheists can be bullies, don't you agree? Killing millions of people to enforce a political system would have to be considered bullying by any definition.
    I like to think there must be such a thing as an absolute right and wrong.... at least in some cases.
    If I disagree with your concept of absolute right and wrong, mightn't I think you are a bully? What is your souce of absolute right and wrong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore BioHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Marks, Portland, Liberty City
    Posts
    89
    I support Kojax with the Bullies Theory on the Muslim Side, but the 'devoted' muslims were the most acute on the bullying thing.
    I always thought that 'devoted' religeous people (Them being Christians or Jews Also) where the most troublesome in term of bullying, because they have the belief that God is on their side and they are going to heaven while us, we'll rot in hell...make that burn infinitly in Hell. Making them Instantly superior, they can decide if we can marry the same sex, they can decide what we think and not think and by god they can ignore and omit all logical and scientific proof that has evidence that their god is either a Lier or Doesnt Exist. I just god Zapped with a thunder Bolt for saying that.

    By the Way have you heard about the creationist Mueseums and theme parks that are springing up in America,shame, what is the world coming to...
    "When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defence is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot - the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of the immortal soul" Desmond Morris
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    I like to think there must be such a thing as an absolute right and wrong.... at least in some cases.
    If I disagree with your concept of absolute right and wrong, mightn't I think you are a bully? What is your souce of absolute right and wrong?
    I'm not suggesting my view of it is the right one. I don't have to know the details of something to know it exists.

    Let's say you and I are looking at a star in the Sirius system through a telescope in a local park, and we start discussing how many planets that star has.

    Now, of course, neither of us knows. There's no way to really tell that through an ordinary telescope. It might have no planets. It might have ten planets. It might have 20 planets. Who knows?

    Does the fact neither you or I know mean there is no correct answer?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I'm not suggesting my view of it is the right one. I don't have to know the details of something to know it exists.

    Let's say you and I are looking at a star in the Sirius system through a telescope in a local park, and we start discussing how many planets that star has.

    Now, of course, neither of us knows. There's no way to really tell that through an ordinary telescope. It might have no planets. It might have ten planets. It might have 20 planets. Who knows?

    Does the fact neither you or I know mean there is no correct answer?
    Hmmm. So you think maybe it is absolutely wrong to kill and eat babies but you're not really sure. The theist thinks it's wrong to kill and eat babies and it's because God wrote it on a stone tablet. Is that about what you are saying? And how does this relate to being a bully or not? Is it the wishy-washiness of one's belief in right and wrong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    How sure is sure? I'd say there's less than a one in a million chance that killing and eating babies would be acceptable under the absolute rules of morality. We *can* speculate and have a reasonable chance of being right about what is in this moral system and what isn't.

    We should never assume, that it's impossible for us to be wrong about any of the assumptions we've made, but if we use good reasoning to form those assumptions, it's more likely we'll be right than wrong about some things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •