Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 136 of 136

Thread: Determinism, Morals, and God.

  1. #101  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I would still be interested in knowing what you (or any other naturalist) think about why there is something instead of nothing and how this "stuff" came into being.
    I would be interested in your explanation of how your God came into existance,
    ...and what makes you think your God is any more real than the myriad of other Gods that exist for all the other delusional people?
    Thanks for calling me delusional!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I would still be interested in knowing what you (or any other naturalist) think about why there is something instead of nothing and how this "stuff" came into being.
    I would be interested in your explanation of how your God came into existance,
    ...and what makes you think your God is any more real than the myriad of other Gods that exist for all the other delusional people?
    Thanks for calling me delusional!
    If the cap fits.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Thanks for calling me delusional!
    Your welcome, and anytime you want to be called delusional again just let me know, I am always happy to do such favours.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I would still be interested in knowing what you (or any other naturalist) think about why there is something instead of nothing and how this "stuff" came into being.
    I would be interested in your explanation of how your God came into existance,
    ...and what makes you think your God is any more real than the myriad of other Gods that exist for all the other delusional people?
    Thanks for calling me delusional!
    de-lu-sion
    noun
    an idiosyncratic belief of impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of a mental disorder.

    It seems to be a fit for a belief in a deity. *shrug*

    Be glad he didn't call you mentally ill. Although, I'm sure if you ask nicely...
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I would still be interested in knowing what you (or any other naturalist) think about why there is something instead of nothing and how this "stuff" came into being.
    I would be interested in your explanation of how your God came into existance,
    ...and what makes you think your God is any more real than the myriad of other Gods that exist for all the other delusional people?
    Thanks for calling me delusional!
    de-lu-sion
    noun
    an idiosyncratic belief of impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of a mental disorder.

    It seems to be a fit for a belief in a deity. *shrug*

    Be glad he didn't call you mentally ill. Although, I'm sure if you ask nicely...
    No thanks for calling me mentally ill though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I said nothing of the sort. That is an accepted definition for delusional.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. That is an accepted definition for delusional.
    I didn't say you did either. I just know I don't react in the same way to being called delusional and mentally ill. "Mentally ill" seems worse than "delusional", but neither is a fair description of the religious person.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. That is an accepted definition for delusional.
    I didn't say you did either. I just know I don't react in the same way to being called delusional and mentally ill. "Mentally ill" seems worse than "delusional", but neither is a fair description of the religious person.
    Delusional is a fair description of a person who believes in something for which there is no evidence in reality, aka God. An accepted definition for delusional contains the suggestion that it is a possible symptom of a mental illness. Therefore, it is not a big jump to suggest that, by the definition given, a person who accepts God without a rational requirement for evidence is mentally ill.

    Perhaps the majority of the world is some kind of cult of personality. If all the world is mad, it's the sane man they call crazy.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    Well, this all seems to deal with the cosmological discussion concerning the existence of God. The difficulty here is that the topic is far more pervasive than just "does God exist?" There are numerous questions which are closely related, each having some bearing on the others.

    Atheists are not generally at all persuaded by the arguments for Godís existence, yet they themselves seem lamentably unable to provide any coherent or adequate answers to the most important questions of life relating to: the cause of the universe, the appearance of design, the origin of life, the reality of human free will and the existence of transcendent moral truth which are all sort of aspects of what the OP was addressing.

    The nature of these questions provides us with a limited number (2) of potential answers. There is either natural causation or supernatural causation or, possibly, a combination of the two. It seems that we all ought to be motivated to investigate which of the two explanatory possibilities is most reasonable or sensical when they are viewed as a whole rather than (as atheists seem to prefer) one at a time. Atheists are so unprepared to answer these questions they relegate them to a status of non-importance as Flick seemed to do a couple of posts ago. It seems virtually unhuman not to be interested or at least wonder where we came from and if there is purpose in our existence, and doing this by dismissing these questions with the Hillary response: "What difference does it make?" It actually makes a big difference when it comes to one's world view.

    The atheistic starting point is the atheistic stumbling block with these questions -- that there is no supernatural and anything which might point to the supernatural is prima facie rejected as invalid, impossible and unworthy of any consideration. How can there be a meaningful investigation if potential outcomes are eliminated from the git-go?

    Dan's question as to how my "God came into existence" shows an utter rejection or consideration of the idea of eternity. In order to do that, you must subscribe the my aforementioned Carl Sagen quote: "The cosmos is all there is, all there ever was and all there ever will be." I am unable, as are we all, to explain anything outside of our own time-space continuum in terms other than exist within our time-space continuum. No matter what one thinks of Carl Sagen himself, his statement is no more provable by naturalism than is the existence of God. I lack a frame of reference or a lexicon of language beyond the natural environment in which we exist. It is the same problem I would have attempting to display and explain a fourth-dimension object. We can only attempt to represent the fourth dimension in terms of the third dimension. We can only attempt to explain eternity with our own time-space continuum concepts.

    We theists arenít the only ones who have to answer these questions. If naturalism is true, naturalists have their own unique burden of proof. The difference seems to be that naturalists expect theists to use the natural to explain that which is not natural while they, themselves, are unable to explain that which they claim is natural in natural terms.

    "I don't know," is a reasonable response only when it leaves the door open for all possibilities.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    Atheists are not generally at all persuaded by the arguments for Godís existence, yet they themselves seem lamentably unable to provide any coherent or adequate answers to the most important questions of life relating to: the cause of the universe, the appearance of design, the origin of life, the reality of human free will and the existence of transcendent moral truth which are all sort of aspects of what the OP was addressing.
    This is point that you seem have difficulty with it so let's take this step by step.

    1. The cause of the universe - No one knows with convincing evidence what preceded the BB event. The most honest answer is, unknown at this time.
    2. The appearance of design - So what? Theists put forth this lame argument. "Every design, requires a designer, therefor God." What actually must occur is this: A. Prove the event is designed. B. Prove that there is a designer that exists. C. Prove that the designer is capable of manufacturing that specific design. D. Have the designer demonstrate this capability. E. Prove that there are no other means or other designers that perform said event. There isn't a theist to my knowledge that has completed step A.
    3. The origin of life - No one knows with convincing evidence what were the origins of life. The most honest answer is, unknown at this time.
    4. The reality of human free will...OP was addressing. The most honest answer is, the possibility that a being could be "designed" to think it has free will exists. The rest "transcendent" moral truth..., is just word salad, claptrap.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    The nature of these questions provides us with a limited number (2) of potential answers. There is either natural causation or supernatural causation or, possibly, a combination of the two.
    It seems you are having difficulty counting, you have presented 3 answers. There is no evidence of a "supernatural" reality and of course beings that are claimed to inhabit it. Events that occur in the natural universe are tested on the basis if it is, or is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    It seems that we all ought to be motivated to investigate which of the two explanatory possibilities is most reasonable or sensical when they are viewed as a whole rather than (as atheists seem to prefer) one at a time....
    By all means provide convincing evidence items listed in 1-4.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    Atheists are so unprepared to answer these questions they relegate them to a status of non-importance as Flick seemed to do a couple of posts ago. It seems virtually unhuman not to be interested or at least wonder where we came from and if there is purpose in our existence, and doing this by dismissing these questions with the Hillary response: "What difference does it make?" It actually makes a big difference when it comes to one's world view.
    Actually, Flick's assessment is correct. All you have done here, as you typically do, is rant. You have provided no convincing evidence or sound reasoning to behave otherwise. So in a universe where there is/are god/gods which behave as if they don't exist and have no proven impact on the natural universe, these questions are non-important. The whereabouts of that missing athletic sox has higher importance. Everything we have observed in the universe seems to behave as if gods are not necessary.

    You posting your own opinions, and not the god/gods you believe in, exemplifies this point. Speaking on behalf on something that hasn't been proven to exist, does not assist the non-entity's case.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    ^Like
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    I second that. ^Like.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    MrMojo1 said:
    You have provided no convincing evidence or sound reasoning . . . these questions are non-important . . . The whereabouts of that missing athletic sox has higher importance . . . You posting your own opinions, and not the god/gods you believe in, exemplifies this point. Speaking on behalf on something that hasn't been proven to exist, does not assist the non-entity's case.
    It is not like you have offered any evidence for me to evaluate nor any actual reasoning. You're ploy, rather than offering an alternative, is merely state I am wrong without using any of your beloved scientific proof. So, in essence, you are also opinionating and representing a position which has been neither proven nor disproven. So why does your unintelligent lack of proof trump my lack of proof?

    But you go on with the idea that these questions are non-important. That is how you deal with questions you cannot answer? If the answer is, "I can't explain it," it is unimportant? Is it unimportant only because you don't know? Is everything you know important and do you know only important things? Actually, these questions are important enough that people have been discussing them for several millennia. It is sad that you (as with many others here) are so lost in lack of meaning and purpose that you are disassociated with most of the human race.

    And when it comes to the lost athletic sox, I can answer that. They were, apparently, eaten by an Oregon Great Dane --Oregon dog eats 43 socks, vets remove every single one - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    ...... If all the world is mad, it's the sane man they call crazy.
    I knew that all along!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    You're ploy, rather than offering an alternative, is merely state I am wrong without using any of your beloved scientific proof.
    There is no "proof" in this case. For either side. We cannot prove the big bang theory. The best we can do is evaluate the evidence at hand. There is a LOT of evidence for accepted scientific theories and NONE for a creator. Therefore, the logical conclusion is to pursue avenues of discovery which have thus far yielded some kind of result.

    You also seem to be wanting your creation ideology disproved. That isn't possible. The best we can say is that there is NO evidence for what you're suggesting. None whatsoever. If that doesn't stop you from believing in it, then that's your decision. None of us can say you are wrong, but you are following a line of thought that is supported by absolutely nothing and that seems like a very strange decision to many of us.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    You have provided no convincing evidence or sound reasoning . . . . So why does your unintelligent lack of proof trump my lack of proof?
    Did any gods assist you posting this response?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    Flick said:
    There is a LOT of evidence for accepted scientific theories and NONE for a creator.
    I assume you are referring to theories relating to the Big Bang rather then the whole panoply of science. However, that is not really the core of the discussion. Even Christians agree there was a sudden beginning of time and space. If you are aware of anything other than conjectures and speculations as to how that event might have taken place, perhaps you could direct me to them.

    I am of the opinion that there is general agreement that we have no methodology nor factual data by which to make any kind of determination other than that something happened and we know that only because we are here.

    I would not presume to convince you that God did it, but I will say that is the only answer which resolves all the questions about beginnings, design and purpose. Your problem is that you don't have any answers. But worse is that you guys don't even seem to care that you perceive the world as a meaningless, purposeless place.

    It just seems to me that if I were presented with a question and I asked a whole bunch of really smart people what they thought the answer was and they all said "Gee, we dunno," and then I found someone who had an answer, I'd probably listen to the guy with the answers rather than all the dummies that don't know anything about it.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    MrMojo1 asked:
    Did any gods assist you posting this response?
    More than any science or scientist has assisted you with your posts.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 asked:
    Did any gods assist you posting this response?
    More than any science or scientist has assisted you with your posts.
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 asked:
    Did any gods assist you posting this response?
    More than any science or scientist has assisted you with your posts.
    The scientists gave me fire, then they gave me electricity, then they gave me transistors, then they gave me the internet.
    what was your point again?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 asked:
    Did any gods assist you posting this response?
    More than any science or scientist has assisted you with your posts.
    The scientists gave me fire, then they gave me electricity, then they gave me transistors, then they gave me the internet.
    what was your point again?
    Was it inspiration?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,760
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    It just seems to me that if I were presented with a question and I asked a whole bunch of really smart people what they thought the answer was and they all said "Gee, we dunno," and then I found someone who had an answer, I'd probably listen to the guy with the answers rather than all the dummies that don't know anything about it.
    This says more about your mindset than anything else.
    Apparently you'd rather have an answer (any answer) than the facts.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    Flick said:
    There is a LOT of evidence for accepted scientific theories and NONE for a creator.
    I assume you are referring to theories relating to the Big Bang rather then the whole panoply of science.
    No. I am referring to the evidence which has come from the broader scope of scientific investigation. Everything from gravity to vaccines. The science works. Then, why should we assume it all falls apart when it comes to big bang theory? What is the difference between the science which explains and predicts the movements of celestial bodies and the science which attempts to understand the big bang?

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    However, that is not really the core of the discussion. Even Christians agree there was a sudden beginning of time and space. If you are aware of anything other than conjectures and speculations as to how that event might have taken place, perhaps you could direct me to them.
    Again, you're equating things which cannot be equated. The Bible believes in the sudden appearance of a universe, but it cannot explain the sudden appearance of the creator of that universe. It's glossed over as, "She's always existed" or "She cannot be understood because she does not want to be" or "Mere humans cannot grasp Her existence with their tiny minds". You not only fail to explain how a creator could exist, but you refuse to.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I am of the opinion that there is general agreement that we have no methodology nor factual data by which to make any kind of determination other than that something happened and we know that only because we are here.
    Then that is your problem. We don't know what happened at the very instance the big bang initiated, but we can use a plethora of scientific data to extrapolate and infer a great deal of information about the event. We do this for other scientific explorations as well because, basically, we have no choice. If we're examining something that previously happened and has not happened since, we cannot approach it any other way.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    I would not presume to convince you that God did it, but I will say that is the only answer which resolves all the questions about beginnings, design and purpose. Your problem is that you don't have any answers. But worse is that you guys don't even seem to care that you perceive the world as a meaningless, purposeless place.
    We live in different accepted realities.

    I don't need a God. I don't need to feel as though I was placed here with purpose. I am happy with being small and insignificant. I am quite content with the fact that when I die, I will be reabsorbed into this amazing system that gave me a brief period of consciousness during which I was able to admire its beauty. I am afraid to die, I am afraid of losing loved ones, but I know that we will all end up back in the same system to be scattered throughout it and taken up by new organisms which will get that same opportunity at life because of the pieces that use to be me.

    That is where I find my peace. You find yours in your religion. We seek the same thing, but in different ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    It just seems to me that if I were presented with a question and I asked a whole bunch of really smart people what they thought the answer was and they all said "Gee, we dunno," and then I found someone who had an answer, I'd probably listen to the guy with the answers rather than all the dummies that don't know anything about it.
    You're asking possibly the most complex and difficult question mankind has ever posed. You're asking about an event which occurred at the beginning of everything as we know it, the formation of everything that has ever been and ever will be in the human perspective. When the most intelligent people on the planet with centuries of scientific progress to fuel their study cannot come up with an answer, you simply turn to the faith in which you were raised to believe. Just like Muslims, Jews, Mormons, etc. Each one believes the truth is in the faith they were taught as a child. And you are ready and willing to completely and fully accept that without question.

    The problem isn't with the people you're asking for answers, it's with you.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #124  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    MrMojo1 said:
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Oh silly me. Here I thought you were referring to the content of the post. It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #125  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 said:
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Oh silly me. Here I thought you were referring to the content of the post. It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    Did you just admit to being "silly" and "plain stupid"?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #126  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Without the delivery, how does the message arrive where it's needed. Be it important or not. Dayton please explain?
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #127  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,096
    Pavlos said:
    Without the delivery, how does the message arrive where it's needed. Be it important or not. Dayton please explain?
    Are there no lengths to the depths of ridiculousness to which you people will stoop. For most of the history of mankind, communication was predominantly oral.

    Even with the written word was usually transmitted orally since few people could read.

    As to delivery, let's say someone is sending you a package. Does it really matter if it comes via UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL or the post? The important thing to you is the package. The method of communication of information is of little import so long as the information is communicated. We are fortunate that we live in an age in which communications are easy. It remains, however, that WHAT is communicated is far more important than HOW it is communicated.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #128  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    Pavlos said:
    Without the delivery, how does the message arrive where it's needed. Be it important or not. Dayton please explain?
    Are there no lengths to the depths of ridiculousness to which you people will stoop. For most of the history of mankind, communication was predominantly oral.

    Even with the written word was usually transmitted orally since few people could read.

    As to delivery, let's say someone is sending you a package. Does it really matter if it comes via UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL or the post? The important thing to you is the package. The method of communication of information is of little import so long as the information is communicated. We are fortunate that we live in an age in which communications are easy. It remains, however, that WHAT is communicated is far more important than HOW it is communicated.
    I don't know man, but if a person decided that they were going to use the word "spleen" to mean "cherry", then I don't think they would sell much pie. Or let's say we substitute the word "kill" for "pet". And so then what does one say to do to the kitty?
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #129  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    I don't know man, but if a person decided that they were going to use the word "spleen" to mean "cherry", then I don't think they would sell much pie. Or let's say we substitute the word "kill" for "pet". And so then what does one say to do to the kitty?
    I think I'd leave that to you. Tell us what it is please?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #130  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 said:
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Oh silly me. Here I thought you were referring to the content of the post. It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    Did you just admit to being "silly" and "plain stupid"?

    Amazing, you figured it out. Believing in gods is both silly and plain stupid. Congrats.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #131  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 said:
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Oh silly me. Here I thought you were referring to the content of the post. It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    Did you just admit to being "silly" and "plain stupid"?

    Amazing, you figured it out. Believing in gods is both silly and plain stupid. Congrats.
    You read more into what I said than what is written. Don't put your words into my mouth, please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #132  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    I don't know man, but if a person decided that they were going to use the word "spleen" to mean "cherry", then I don't think they would sell much pie. Or let's say we substitute the word "kill" for "pet". And so then what does one say to do to the kitty?
    I think I'd leave that to you. Tell us what it is please?
    No, I won't. It's already spelled out. If you won't make the effort to understand, then you would be unhelpable.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #133  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlos
    Without the delivery, how does the message arrive where it's needed. Be it important or not. Dayton please explain?
    Are there no lengths to the depths of ridiculousness to which you people will stoop. For most of the history of mankind, communication was predominantly oral.

    Even with the written word was usually transmitted orally since few people could read.
    Irrelevant! you said
    Quote Originally Posted by you
    It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    So the delivery, to you! is a waste of time. What if it doesn't get delivered. what then? Isn't the delivery equally important. What if Jesus had told his disciples to deliver his message and they all were killed or struck dumb, before they delivered it. What then? The delivery is of equal importance.


    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    As to delivery, let's say someone is sending you a package. Does it really matter if it comes via UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL or the post? The important thing to you is the package.
    No! The important thing is receiving the package, without receiving the package the message is moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    The method of communication of information is of little importance so long as the information is communicated.
    Exactly thus it needs to be delivered to be communicated. Else the message is moot.
    Without the delivery you can have no message. Without a voice you cannot delivery the message. And without a pen you can have no message to deliver. The message is but a train of thoughts running through a head, until it is delivered. The method of delivery is most important, too!
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #134  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Moderator Comment: Green, I find, is a nicer colour than red. My comments are in green, my warnings are in red. This is a comment. There is far too much bitching and far too many insults, implicit and explicit, in this thread. It would be a good idea if these stopped. Now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #135  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner View Post
    MrMojo1 said:
    I see your point. It must have been Zeus or Thor, which brought the electricity you used. They must have had a collaborative effort with Mnemosyne (goddess of Memory), Hephaestus or Vulcan (god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, metallurgy), and other Muses which help the computer systems you used.
    Oh silly me. Here I thought you were referring to the content of the post. It never even occurred to me that someone could be so inane as to consider that the method of delivery of a message was more important than the message itself. That is just plain stupid.
    Did you just admit to being "silly" and "plain stupid"?

    Amazing, you figured it out. Believing in gods is both silly and plain stupid. Congrats.
    You read more into what I said than what is written. Don't put your words into my mouth, please.
    Apologies. The nested quote style confused me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #136  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Moderator Comment: Thank you MrMojo1 for that. You were definitely not one of the primary targets of my earlier comment, but your considerate action is appreciated. (I do wish we could get the Like function fixed.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Genetic Determinism
    By ahappycamper in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
  2. How is morals adressed when you study philosophy?
    By Raziell in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM
  3. the bible and morals
    By captaincaveman in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: September 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
  4. Are morals even real?
    By Perk in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: May 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM
  5. Morals, Ethics
    By DaBOB in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •