Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daecon

Thread: are we becoming more kind ? thoughts on evolution

  1. #1 are we becoming more kind ? thoughts on evolution 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    49
    I read through bmitts post on a topic, and he said we were evolving into something good or better than we were before and he also said because of evolution people believe in God.

    No one answered my questions which were are we becoming a kinder race or are we becoming more evil? If we are merely animals which way are we headed? Will evolution automatically protect us from fighting with each other or at least destroying each other eventually ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Evolution doesn't mean a species gets better or worse. It just favors genes that make one better at surviving and procreating within a given environment. I see no reason why evolution would necessarily protect us from fighting with each other.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    49
    I guess since u say evolution doesn't protect us from fighting with each other that my views of it are wrong, or flawed.I must need to better understand what evolution is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Well if you look at the ways people behave, whether it's fighting each other or cooperating with each other depending on the circumstances, there's probably some evolutionary reason for it. That's why the behavior has survived.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    I would say that cultural evolution is a real thing that is totally separate from and different to biological evolution.

    Biological evolution is driven by the environment whereas cultural evolution is driven by scientific and sociological understanding and technological and sociological progress developed as a result of that understanding.
    danhanegan likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    I disagree. Cultural evolution is also driven by the environment, ultimately. Of course, it can take some dead-end detours along the way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    49
    So does everyone agree with self-domestication on here? and also is it widely accepted?
    I myself don't know much about evolution only very little but I thought it was something that was only beneficial therefore I thought that we would become kinder, or more domesticated as time goes by.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    I myself don't know much about evolution only very little but I thought it was something that was only beneficial therefore I thought that we would become kinder, or more domesticated as time goes by.
    Evolution is only "beneficial" to those members of the species in question that have survived various environmental challenges. And the only benefit is the survival and reproduction itself - supported by whatever environmental niches the species happens to occupy. If the environment changes (or disappears) and the species is not able to move to another area or to other survival and reproduction approaches, it will go entirely extinct.

    The "classic" examples of this we can see in the world around us at the moment would be pandas, orangutans and polar bears. Pandas because they're entirely dependent on one single food - bamboo forest - that is shrinking in extent and their reproduction is already pretty slow and erratic. Orangutans because their habitat is being mown down around them, the tropical forests of Indonesia, and there is nowhere for them to go - the fact that they're very intelligent and happy to eat lots of different forest foods can't help them. Only we can help by stopping removal of their forests. Polar bears because they're highly restricted already in an extreme environment and they depend mainly on one food source, seals, being abundant in particular circumstances at particular times of the year. They can't move further north, so there's nowhere for them to go. As the Arctic sea ice continues to lessen and become more unreliable, so will their food source and their ability to hunt.

    As for us. We're intelligent, omnivorous, and versatile in our social arrangements. We'll survive. Cooperation suits us in most environments. Struggling and fighting also helps us, particularly when circumstances change. Versatility is the key to our survival as a species. Whether that makes us kinder while we're doing it is another matter entirely.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    Helen Keller


    Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
    Mark Twain


    A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.
    John Ruskin


    Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
    Lao Tzu


    A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
    Saint Basil
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman EvolvedAtheist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    52
    We got here by competing with animals throughout history - survival. It is merely survival in this world, and in the entire universe in fact. We will always have disputes among different groups like many of our fellow animals do now and always have, between each other.
    “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” Charles Darwin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    I disagree. Cultural evolution is also driven by the environment, ultimately.
    I don't think you can compare the two. Evolution works via random changes (mutation) and its success is determined by survival and reproduction of the individual. Culture doesn't work like that. A cultural trend is not reinforced because its adherents procreate more than others, nor does it die out because its adherents don't reproduce. Likewise it does not change at random; many aspects of culture are deterministic and are chosen rather than random.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    I disagree. Cultural evolution is also driven by the environment, ultimately.
    I don't think you can compare the two. Evolution works via random changes (mutation) and its success is determined by survival and reproduction of the individual. Culture doesn't work like that. A cultural trend is not reinforced because its adherents procreate more than others, nor does it die out because its adherents don't reproduce. Likewise it does not change at random; many aspects of culture are deterministic and are chosen rather than random.
    You don't think that stone tool making skills, for example, helped human populations to survive and reproduce? Seems rather obvious to me that they did. It also seems obvious that societies that adopt unhealthy practices or low reproduction rates are going to be replaced by ones that don't do so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    I disagree. Cultural evolution is also driven by the environment, ultimately.
    I don't think you can compare the two. Evolution works via random changes (mutation) and its success is determined by survival and reproduction of the individual. Culture doesn't work like that. A cultural trend is not reinforced because its adherents procreate more than others, nor does it die out because its adherents don't reproduce. Likewise it does not change at random; many aspects of culture are deterministic and are chosen rather than random.
    Sure it is. Much like many small gene changes don't directly impact survival most cultural changes probably don't either (it doesn't really matter whether you enjoy Sia or Lady Gaga more) but some can and do make a great deal of difference. An organized set of tribes with common cultural language, trade system etc quickly spread new technology for example probably overruns the xenophobic less organized tribes that don't. Or take a smaller example, how well do you think the Iraqi coastal patrol Navy is likely to be when, for example, most Senior Iraqi officers, as part of their culture, completely refuse to believe tide tables can be developed. While we can still take a serious nod to the lesson of "Guns, Germs and Steel," the culture isn't everything (an unquestioned assumption by many Westerners), it still plays a pretty big role in success of one group over another.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of music do you like?
    By Weterman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
  3. a new kind of chlorophyll
    By bigratlover in forum Biology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: October 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM
  4. What kind of math
    By Omega in forum Physics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
  5. What Kind of animal would you be?
    By Tony John C in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 1st, 2007, 02:42 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •