Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 2 Post By Daecon
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 2 Post By Lynx_Fox

Thread: Will a atheist believe if god sends sign to him 2!

  1. #1 Will a atheist believe if god sends sign to him 2! 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    I had to create a new thread because that thread was gone off track.What will you conclude if a man takes name of god and walks in the fire wearing just underwear.CONCLUDE


     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Belief is unnecessary.

    Things are proven true. You can hold a question, hypothesis, or suspicion as tentatively false until the weight of the evidence convinces you otherwise. If there are such things as "gods" they should be obvious. Upon examining such obvious evidence, "WTF!!!" would be my first remark. The second would be questioning if I was experiencing a hallucination. After sufficient amount examination, I would acknowledge their existence. This does not mean worshiping or making any changes to my behavior or moral code. I would never worship anyone, and making changes to my behavior requires a sound reason.


     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    I had to create a new thread because that thread was gone off track.What will you conclude if a man takes name of god and walks in the fire wearing just underwear.CONCLUDE
    That he was obviously Arthur Brown.

    FIRE - 14/08/1968
    1 week at #1 - 14 weeks on chart

    I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you
    Fire, I'll take you to burn
    Fire, I'll take you to learn
    I'll see you burn

    You fought hard and you saved and earned
    But all of it's going to burn
    And your mind, your tiny mind
    You know you've really been so blind
    Now 's your time, burn your mind
    You're falling far too far behind
    Oh no, oh no, oh no, you're gonna burn

    Fire, to destroy all you've done
    Fire, to end all you've become
    I'll feel you burn

    You've been living like a little girl
    In the middle of your little world
    And your mind, your tiny mind
    You know you've really been so blind
    Now 's your time, burn your mind
    You're falling far too far behind
    OOhhh
    Fire, I'll take you to burn
    Fire, I'll take you to learn
    You're gonna burn, you're gonna burn
    You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn

    Fire, I'll take you to burn
    Fire, I'll take you to learn
    Fire, I'll take you to bed

    Strange likes this.
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    There's nothing attributing such a thing like walking through fire in undies to be the work of "God" though, that's the whole point of the problem.

    Saying it's God's work is all very well and good, but PROVING it is what the issue is. Saying the name of God could be completely coincidental and have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with why he didn't turn into a crispy critter.

    You say God, someone else says Flying Spaghetti Monster, and another person says it's the work of the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
    Strange and Cogito Ergo Sum like this.
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Sounds like a fairly average stage magician.

    Would you think someone was a god if they could saw a person in half and then put the two halves together again. Magically?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    What will you conclude if a man takes name of god and walks in the fire wearing just underwear.CONCLUDE
    Do you have a link to this event?
    What were the exact conditions?
    Who saw it?
    How do we know the guy didn't just invent the story?

    And, once we get beyond that we're back to the problem that Daecon highlighted: how would you demonstrate it was actually "god" that protected him and not some other "agency"?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  8. #7  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    I had to create a new thread because that thread was gone off track.What will you conclude if a man takes name of god and walks in the fire wearing just underwear.CONCLUDE
    What will happen? Charred tighty whiteys and toasted nuts.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    i always thought that we got cheated in the miracle game. the old timers got healings by Jesus, the parting of the Red Sea, the great flood, Sodom and Gomorah, etc., etc.. all we get is the image of Mary on a pancake. we was robbed. i sure would re-think my atheist ways if i saw an Old Testament style miracle or sign. (in my Jerry Lundegaard voice) you betcha.
    Last edited by Chucknorium; May 6th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    i always thought that we got cheated in the miracle game. the old timers got healings by Jesus, the parting of the Red Sea, the great flood, Sodom and Gomorah, etc., etc.. all we get is the image of Mary on a pancake. we was robbed. i sure would re-think my atheist ways if i saw an Old Testament style miracle or sign. (in my Jerry Lundegard voice) you betcha.
    The image of Jesus on a dogs bottom is a good one. I've got it on my phone but I can't upload images on this site for some reason. Have they blocked direct upload from pc too?
     

  11. #10  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah40 View Post
    I can't upload images on this site for some reason. Have they blocked direct upload from pc too?
    No, they haven't.

    I would suggest using photobucket if your picture is too large.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah40 View Post
    I can't upload images on this site for some reason. Have they blocked direct upload from pc too?
    No, they haven't.

    I would suggest using photobucket if your picture is too large.
    It doesnt tell me the image is wrong size. It just doesnt upload.
     

  13. #12  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah40 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah40 View Post
    I can't upload images on this site for some reason. Have they blocked direct upload from pc too?
    No, they haven't.

    I would suggest using photobucket if your picture is too large.
    It doesnt tell me the image is wrong size. It just doesnt upload.
    Yeah, it's not particularly informative. Like I said, photobucket is nice. It's free and couldn't be easier to use.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    28
    Jesus did many miracles, and some still did not believe.
     

  15. #14  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,677
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmitts View Post
    Jesus did many miracles
    Allegedly.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    This thread is non-scientific and essentially the same as the other one, where the question was answered ad nauseum.
    Closed.
    astromark and Cogito Ergo Sum like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
     

Similar Threads

  1. Will a atheist believe if god really sends a sign?
    By Lawman in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 652
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM
  2. New member sends his greetings
    By citizenzen in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM
  3. U.S. sends B-2 bombers to South Korea
    By cosmictraveler in forum In the News
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: June 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
  4. An Atheist Meets God
    By verzen in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
  5. Atheist vs religion about if there is a God
    By Ezra in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •