Notices
Results 1 to 37 of 37
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By icewendigo
  • 1 Post By grmpysmrf
  • 1 Post By grmpysmrf
  • 1 Post By grmpysmrf
  • 2 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By zinjanthropos
  • 1 Post By zinjanthropos
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By rmbettencourt
  • 1 Post By thulium_gal

Thread: Agnostic thread

  1. #1 Agnostic thread 
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Well, I could not find one so I thought I would make one. Because well there is more than atheist, christianity, etc..

    Anyway, I am an agnostic theist. Anyone else agnostic?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    I would imagine that most are.
    Even the theists - apart from those with delusions.

    So, an agnostic thread...
    Post #1: I'm an agnostic - I dunno.
    Post #2: Wow! I don't know either.
    Post #3: Are you sure?
    Etc.


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    I'm probably a mix of Agnostic, Atheist, Deist, and whatever people are called who believe in Karma, (I know, superstitious, HAR HAR!) at any given time. But I'm atheist more often than not, so it's just easier to say I'm atheist, followed closely by the Karma thing. Deist and Agnostic are kind of farther back in the race for top ideology.

    I do admit, though, when shit gets really tough I start "talking" to the sky wizard because it's a distraction from my problem and somewhat comforting, 'cause "maybe there is something out there that will fix this shit" (just like there might be magic elves that would clean my room for me while I slept when I was a kid... Don't know for sure, but sometimes if I wanted it bad enough and asked really nicely maybe they would show up this time)... but for all you true believers nothing comes from my "conversations." Don't try to convert and say "see? see?? you're ignoring Him." I'm not. They're wishes at best distractions at worst.

    The Bible is completely out though! If the prerequisite to believing in God is believing the Bible then I'm a complete atheist. Ugh, that books make me Ill.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    I'm probably a mix of Agnostic, Atheist, Deist, and whatever people are called who believe in Karma, (I know, superstitious, HAR HAR!) at any given time. But I'm atheist more often than not, so it's just easier to say I'm atheist, followed closely by the Karma thing. Deist and Agnostic are kind of farther back in the race for top ideology.

    I do admit, though, when shit gets really tough I start "talking" to the sky wizard because it's a distraction from my problem and somewhat comforting, 'cause "maybe there is something out there that will fix this shit" (just like there might be magic elves that would clean my room for me while I slept when I was a kid... Don't know for sure, but sometimes if I wanted it bad enough and asked really nicely maybe they would show up this time)... but for all you true believers nothing comes from my "conversations." Don't try to convert and say "see? see?? you're ignoring Him." I'm not. They're wishes at best distractions at worst.

    The Bible is completely out though! If the prerequisite to believing in God is believing the Bible then I'm a complete atheist. Ugh, that books make me Ill.
    Oh yeah I do not believe in the bible at all. I mean the entire first chapter of genesis is contradiction against contradictions and not to mention inaccuracies. Anyway, yes I think that it is easier to "force" one's problem onto another entity, even if it imaginary. I find myself doing that at times too, although I never specify sex. Where does that idea come from, that god is male or regarded as such?

    P.S. Oooh, where in Southern California are you? ^.^
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    From my perspective, Theism is mostly cultural, as the various beliefs throughout human history, such as Thor, Leprechauns, Witches flying on Broomsticks, all of which were thought to exist within their respective cultural bubbles, so imo an agnostic is someone with the capacity to say that the mystical/magical characters from other cultures dont exist, but unable or unwilling to call out the mystical/magical character from the culture he has been living in as not existing, because the frame of reference (cultural bubble) makes it a perceived possibility. For people in a community that firmly believes in Leprechauns, it would be understandable that someone might be unsure and say the are agnostic towards Leprechauns, "we dont know, there's no proof either way, maybe leprechauns dont exist but maybe they do", which is something that no one outside this culture would say.
    astromark likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    From my perspective, Theism is mostly cultural, as the various beliefs throughout human history, such as Thor, Leprechauns, Witches flying on Broomsticks, all of which were thought to exist within their respective cultural bubbles, so imo an agnostic is someone with the capacity to say that the mystical/magical characters from other cultures dont exist, but unable or unwilling to call out the mystical/magical character from the culture he has been living in as not existing, because the frame of reference (cultural bubble) makes it a perceived possibility. For people in a community that firmly believes in Leprechauns, it would be understandable that someone might be unsure and say the are agnostic towards Leprechauns, "we dont know, there's no proof either way, maybe leprechauns dont exist but maybe they do", which is something that no one outside this culture would say.
    The latter is an interesting observation.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Where does that idea come from, that god is male or regarded as such?
    Probably cultural, He's always reffered to as a he. It's a place holder really for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt
    P.S. Oooh, where in Southern California are you? ^.^
    High Desert
    rmbettencourt likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    it would be understandable that someone might be unsure and say the are agnostic towards Leprechauns, "we dont know, there's no proof either way, maybe leprechauns dont exist but maybe they do", which is something that no one outside this culture would say.
    That's how I understand agnostic
    astromark likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Where does that idea come from, that god is male or regarded as such?
    Probably cultural, He's always reffered to as a he. It's a place holder really for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt
    P.S. Oooh, where in Southern California are you? ^.^
    High Desert
    Thank you for the first reply and San Gabriel Mountains?
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Where does that idea come from, that god is male or regarded as such?
    Probably cultural, He's always reffered to as a he. It's a place holder really for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt
    P.S. Oooh, where in Southern California are you? ^.^
    High Desert
    Thank you for the first reply and San Gabriel Mountains?
    Yeah the other side of the San Gabriel mountains. I use Cajon pass to get to and from work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    I see a trend that a agnostic is just 'they who have doubt but are unwilling to proclaim a view absolute'. That a sitting on the fence option is the safe view, is not for some. Seek out the knowledge of scientific revue and you will climb down from that lofty fence post.. Atheism is the truth you seek but as yet are unwilling to see.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    I see a trend that a agnostic is just 'they who have doubt but are unwilling to proclaim a view absolute'. That a sitting on the fence option is the safe view, is not for some. Seek out the knowledge of scientific revue and you will climb down from that lofty fence post.. Atheism is the truth you seek but as yet are unwilling to see.
    What?
    I got this far:

    I see a trend that a agnostic is just 'they who have doubt but are unwilling to proclaim a view absolute'


    But then everything kinda fell apart.

    Belief in a possible deity (or deity type) doesn't negate science in any way.
    rmbettencourt likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    I see a trend that a agnostic is just 'they who have doubt but are unwilling to proclaim a view absolute'. That a sitting on the fence option is the safe view, is not for some. Seek out the knowledge of scientific revue and you will climb down from that lofty fence post.. Atheism is the truth you seek but as yet are unwilling to see.
    What?
    I got this far:

    I see a trend that a agnostic is just 'they who have doubt but are unwilling to proclaim a view absolute'


    But then everything kinda fell apart.

    Belief in a possible deity (or deity type) doesn't negate science in any way.
    LAUGHING MY FUCKING ASS OFF! I died laughing. I was thinking the same. Although I think they are trying to say that agnostics are nothing but atheists who are in denial. (Maybe?)
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Where does that idea come from, that god is male or regarded as such?
    Probably cultural, He's always reffered to as a he. It's a place holder really for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt
    P.S. Oooh, where in Southern California are you? ^.^
    High Desert
    Thank you for the first reply and San Gabriel Mountains?
    Yeah the other side of the San Gabriel mountains. I use Cajon pass to get to and from work.
    Yeah, I do not even know what Cajon pass is.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    Stephen Colbert — ' Agnostics are just atheists without balls.'
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Stephen Colbert — 'Agnostics are just atheists without balls.'
    I kinda already said that in my original post, but nowhere near as elegant as the great Colbert.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Stephen Colbert — ' Agnostics are just atheists without balls.'
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Anyway, I am an agnostic theist.
    Apparently, once again, there's two different meanings of "agnostic" being used.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Stephen Colbert — ' Agnostics are just atheists without balls.'
    I disagree with this. I am open to the belief of a deity, if there is enough evidence to support it. In the meantime, I am simply choosing to believe their is a deity. From my understanding from the atheist friends I have, is that they do not even accept that there may be a deity, no matter how much evidence is presented that there is.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    if there is enough evidence to support it
    Seen any?
    You believe in a deity. What make you agnostic? You're unsure of what kind of diety?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    if there is enough evidence to support it
    Seen any?
    You believe in a deity. What make you agnostic? You're unsure of what kind of diety?
    Not yet, and I probably will never see concrete proof of such deity.
    Just as those who believe in the big bang theory, I too stick with both believing in that there may be an existence of such entity and disbelieve that it does exist. However, because I do at times of hard trouble find myself speaking up to a deity, I cannot disregard that and be a hypocrite and say that I refuse in the existence of a deity. So I choose to believe in at least one deity, but completely disbelieve that it involves in human life.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    if there is enough evidence to support it
    Seen any?
    You believe in a deity. What make you agnostic?...
    Sometimes I want there to be one and sometimes I know there isn't one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    if there is enough evidence to support it
    Seen any?
    You believe in a deity. What make you agnostic? You're unsure of what kind of diety?
    You can be agnostic and think there is a god, or not a god...they are separate categories a lot of people mix up. I'm an Agnostic Atheist. My mother is an Agnostic Theist who hopes to join my dad in heaven someday.

    grmpysmrf and rmbettencourt like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    theist: I'm scared
    agnostic: you're making me scared
    atheist: I'm not scared at all
    astromark likes this.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    theist: I'm scared
    agnostic: you're making me scared
    atheist: I'm not scared at all
    This does not describe how I feel at all. However, it is your opinion and I cannot change it. But it is not an accurate or insightful opinion, just pointing that out.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    theist: God's watching, I better not
    agnostic: God could be watching, maybe I shouldn't
    atheist: I'll do it if it's worth doing

    or

    theist: God's watching, I better do this
    agnostic: I better do this just in case there is a God watching
    atheist: I'll do it if it's worth doing
    astromark likes this.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    theist: God's watching, I better not
    agnostic: God could be watching, maybe I shouldn't
    atheist: I'll do it if it's worth doing

    or

    theist: God's watching, I better do this
    agnostic: I better do this just in case there is a God watching
    atheist: I'll do it if it's worth doing
    Nope, I do not care if there was a god watching, if I want to do it, I will do it. I do not care if my own mother was watching, and she propelled me from her vagina.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Nope, I do not care if there was a god watching, if I want to do it, I will do it. I do not care if my own mother was watching, and she propelled me from her vagina.
    theist: Sorry God. I knew you were watching but I am a sinner and that's what we do, so sorry....Hail Mary and Praise Allah, God is great
    agnostic: Just in case you were watching, sorry about that God,
    atheist: You know, this was the right thing to do
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Nope, I do not care if there was a god watching, if I want to do it, I will do it. I do not care if my own mother was watching, and she propelled me from her vagina.
    theist: Sorry God. I knew you were watching but I am a sinner and that's what we do, so sorry....Hail Mary and Praise Allah, God is great
    agnostic: Just in case you were watching, sorry about that God,
    atheist: You know, this was the right thing to do
    Nope, try again. What is there to be sorry for, regardless of whether it was right or wrong? It is definitely not the first one! Like a simple prayer would do any good. Psssh, please.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Nope, try again. What is there to be sorry for, regardless of whether it was right or wrong? It is definitely not the first one! Like a simple prayer would do any good. Psssh, please.
    theist: I promise to spread the word
    agnostic: I promise to not forget what you said, it might come in handy
    atheist: I promise to go along with whatever you say as long as there's something in it for me

    rmb: If you haven't realized it by now I don't take god belief seriously. Believe whatever you want, leave it as a belief, don't add facts, and that's all you can do.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Nope, try again. What is there to be sorry for, regardless of whether it was right or wrong? It is definitely not the first one! Like a simple prayer would do any good. Psssh, please.
    theist: I promise to spread the word
    agnostic: I promise to not forget what you said, it might come in handy
    atheist: I promise to go along with whatever you say as long as there's something in it for me

    rmb: If you haven't realized it by now I don't take god belief seriously. Believe whatever you want, leave it as a belief, don't add facts, and that's all you can do.
    I would prefer RM. Can we still continue this though. I like it, it keeps me entertained.

    Haha, the last two seem descriptive to me. But nope, try again.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Haha, the last two seem descriptive to me. But nope, try again.
    Not trying to describe you, just having fun.

    theist: the Bible is the truth
    agnostic: the Bible hits the mark on some stuff but is way off on other things, still it's all metaphorical, can't quite ignore it completely
    atheist: the Kama Sutra is very informative
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    Haha, the last two seem descriptive to me. But nope, try again.
    Not trying to describe you, just having fun.

    theist: the Bible is the truth
    agnostic: the Bible hits the mark on some stuff but is way off on other things, still it's all metaphorical, can't quite ignore it completely
    atheist: the Kama Sutra is very informative
    LAUGH OUT LOUD! The Kama Sutra does have useful information, at least it contains something you will use in everyday life, versus the content in the bible.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    I mean the entire first chapter of genesis ....
    It's a metaphor; it is not meant to be taken literally.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    theist: God's watching, I better not
    agnostic: God could be watching, maybe I shouldn't
    atheist: I'll do it if it's worth doing
    theist: God says it is wrong so I won't do it.
    agnostic: I don't know why it is wrong but I won't do it.
    atheist: I think it is wrong so I won't do it.
    zinjanthropos likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Goddess of Eternity rmbettencourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbettencourt View Post
    I mean the entire first chapter of genesis ....
    It's a metaphor; it is not meant to be taken literally.
    So the bible was never meant to be taken literally?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    avec amour,
    RM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    From my understanding from the atheist friends I have, is that they do not even accept that there may be a deity, no matter how much evidence is presented that there is.
    Evidence? Most atheists I know - and know of - say that there is no evidence of any supernatural being/s. They also say that they would have to rethink their position if any such evidence was available. The sorts of things that believers advance as evidence would never make the grade as objective or testable evidence.

    My feeling about believers reporting that atheists "reject" evidence is that it's more like people talking past each other. The believer puts forward a statement that, to their mind, supports the existence of souls or spirits or god/s. The atheist responds that whatever-it-is is not evidence of anything.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    155
    I don't really care much for labels. I just go with "believe in yourself."
    sculptor likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. The distinction between an atheist and an agnostic
    By umbradiago in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: March 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
  2. The Southern Agnostic
    By Carly F-word in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 20th, 2014, 01:20 AM
  3. Biblical Errors or How I became agnostic again
    By pmb in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
  4. Why I'm Agnostic
    By filix in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: March 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
  5. What's The Difference Between Agnostic and Atheist
    By honeybunny in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: June 29th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •