Notices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 190
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: What are the beliefs of Atheism?

  1. #1 What are the beliefs of Atheism? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that -1-The universe was created by coincidence.2-Evolution caused the life to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Please help me.Any reply would be appreciated.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that -1-The universe was created by coincidence.2-Evolution caused the world to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something.
    I don't think that atheists have any specific set of beliefs. I doubt many think that:

    1-The universe was created by coincidence.
    I suppose some might believe that. But not someone with any knowledge of science.

    2-Evolution caused the world to exist.
    Edit: OK, it was a typo.
    I find it hard to believe anyone thinks that. They would have to be profoundly ignorant.

    Neither of those seem to have much to do with atheism. Just general scientific knowledge.

    Are you trying to draw some correlation between atheism and scientific understanding? If so, I don't think there is any.

    As I said in your other thread, there are religious and atheist scientists.

    And there are religious people and atheists who know nothing of science (the sort of people might believe the sort of things you suggested above).
    Last edited by Strange; April 17th, 2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: seen the correction in OP
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore Busy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    106
    Atheism is the belief that there is/are no deities, that's it. Anything beyond that is technically not atheism.

    Supporting evolution and/or big bang does not make you an atheist.
    Strange, stonecutter and grmpysmrf like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that -1-The universe was created by coincidence.2-Evolution caused the life to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something.

    Atheism ('eɪθɪɪz(ə)m):
    "Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."
    (Oxford English Dictionary)

    That is all there is to the concept of atheism.
    KALSTER, Strange, MrMojo1 and 3 others like this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    I believe I need another pint.
    Lynx_Fox likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I believe I need another pint.
    Dont go for too long, someone might steal your laptop, take it to the bar with you! lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    The beliefs of the unbelievers?

    *sigh*
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that -1-The universe was created by coincidence.2-Evolution caused the life to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something.
    Atheism is the rejection of a claim that a god or gods exist. So it’s not a belief system. IMO.

    I don’t think the Theory of Evolution tries to explain the origin of life, I think you refer to Abiogenesis. There are hypotheses for how first life began, but the Evolution theory is the processes after first life. Or so I understand it anyway.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    The beliefs of the unbelievers?

    *sigh*
    Charlie The Unicorn - Shun The Non-Believer - YouTube

    Also, if you want to know the beliefs of atheist's or agnostic's (or even whatever) the easiest thing to do is use a dictionary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    Atheist to 'ME' is more than having no belief of spiritual or a religious deity. It's the complete denial of the possibility that God could be real.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.
    There is no catechism for atheists.

    All that is required is to not believe in gods. There is not even a requirement for scientific knowledge or critical thinking even though quite a few people get to atheism by that route.

    There are even atheists with superstitious or supernatural beliefs. Doesn't disqualify them from calling themselves atheists even though most of us would give them a bit of side-eye if they started rattling on about ghosts or yetis or nessie.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor river_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    There are even atheists with superstitious or supernatural beliefs. Doesn't disqualify them from calling themselves atheists even though most of us would give them a bit of side-eye if they started rattling on about ghosts or yetis or nessie.
    Yep Atheist does not imply skeptic any more than religious implies delusional.
    MrMojo1 likes this.
    As is often the case with technical subjects we are presented with an unfortunate choice: an explanation that is accurate but incomprehensible, or comprehensible but wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,151
    "Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that -1-The universe was created by coincidence.2-Evolution caused the life to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something"

    I cant represent other atheists thinks, but, I can tell you about my own views.


    1-The universe was created by coincidence
    I do not know how the universe was created, but so far, observation of the universe and reading, leads me to exclude a few scenarios and conclude that it was not created by a magical pink unicorn or another mythical character imagined by primitive ignorant human tribes. Most likely, the universe we observe "is", because such are the properties of our corner of reality. There might be other realities, the one we are in, at present time allows consciousness based on perception, perception shaped by the environment. A few billion years ago there was insufficient complex organization of matter to create a feedback that would shape interactions based on the environment or perception and consciousness.

    You could say that its a "coincidence" that we are able to talk now in a specific time and place where it is possible, but then its little wonder we are not talking as scattered atoms billions of years ago or as drifting asteroids millions of km away, the amazing sense of wonder about our own existence as intelligent humans is quite relative as you can see, if we were hydrogen gas we would not wonder about the amazing coincidence that we are intelligent and if we were bacteria we also would not be wondering about how amazing that we are alive, and if we were aliens on Zaxor Prime we would not be wondering about how amazing that we are human but how amazing that we are Zaxorians (created by the one true god Kalor, or by by the physical properties of the universe).


    2-Evolution caused the life to exist.
    The properties of the environment, of which hydrogen is a part of, caused some hydrogen to gather together in places where this change created new properties in specific regions that in turn changed the environment by creating fusion which made more complex/alternate arrangements of subatomic particles, these different arrangements of the same particles (new/alternate atoms) had different properties, thus more possibilities of interaction and more potential functions/effects came into being as an emergent property of the changing environment. Fusion mostly appeared in very specifc regions of the universe where the environment was different.

    Now larger and different atoms, with different properties, made it possible for different and more complex molecules to form, more complex than just a cloud of hydrogen. I suspect that many of the more delicate complex molecules can not form in the raging environment of a star but have scattered in various regions where the environment was such that these could form. Complex molecules exist in many corners of our solar system, but it appears that on the liquid water planet a large number of delicate complex molecules could form in that environment. So the reason life appeared on Earth is more related to the environment that was suitable than an arbitrary deity's selection, and the reason it appeared x billion years ago and not x+y billion years ago before molecules existed is not because a deity snapped in finger but because the environment had the prerequisite ingredients then where as before then there was insufficient complex molecules to generate complex interactions, the building blocks had not amalgamated yet.

    Is is a "coincidence" that a planet is in the form of a sphere, like its just random luck that it was not a cube or a pyramid? No, in the sense that the spherical shape of a planet is a result of the properties of the universe, the properties of the environment that the matter is a part of and both which the matter is shaping and shaped by, based on the properties thats what large amounts of matter tend to form or water in microgravity. Not a magical hand shaping it in the form of a sphere, nor a random coincidence out of the blue, but properties of the environment.

    If there are many realities, all of the realities where consciousness is not possible because the properties are as such, there's no one saying "wow how amazing that the properties of the universe allow for me to be conscious!", so its not all that much a "coincidence" that people that do say
    "wow how amazing that the properties of the universe allow for me to be conscious!" happen to be in a given time and specific region of a specific reality where this is possible.


    Last edited by icewendigo; April 17th, 2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    1-The universe was created by coincidence.
    If I have any believe regarding this, it is that the universe was not created, it has always existed in some form. It is not a very strong belief as I would adjust it according to the evidence. But in the absence of evidence, that is my default position. (I'm not even sure if "default position" = "belief".)
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    (I'm not even sure if "default position" = "belief".)
    Given the way these discussions have gone recently, I reckon you could say a tomato was a bicycle and someone would think it worth considering.
    Strange likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    (I'm not even sure if "default position" = "belief".)
    Given the way these discussions have gone recently, I reckon you could say a tomato was a bicycle and someone would think it worth considering.
    Nah.
    A tricycle maybe. But bicycle? That's just ridiculous.
    pavlos likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    MY views are like Immanuel Kant and antinomies. There are arguments for and against "God." Like an infinite amount for each. So like, since I can't even count that high, I'll admit my own ignorance and say I don't know and probably never will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    (I'm not even sure if "default position" = "belief".)
    Given the way these discussions have gone recently, I reckon you could say a tomato was a bicycle and someone would think it worth considering.
    If it looks like a bicycle...

    KALSTER, pavlos, RedPanda and 5 others like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Point of order! That's TWO tomatoes, Adelady specifically said "a tomato"! If you're going to twist things like that you can "prove" almost anything
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Wouldn't it be nice if there were more Theists who just accepted they don't have all the answers?

    I think most atheists are comfortable simply admitting they don't know how the universe began, or what started the process of evolution.

    It isn't necessary to know everything about an idea in order to believe it. Most people know the Sun is at the center of the solar system. That doesn't automatically mean they know the equations that describe planetary motion. Some people know those equations. Some don't. But not knowing those equations doesn't automatically prevent you from believing it.
    Flick Montana and grmpysmrf like this.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    I believe in myself.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if there were more Theists who just accepted they don't have all the answers?
    Yes, but not knowing is scary and the whole point of God is to alleviate fear while simultaneously wielding it as the primary weapon of conversion.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,324
    The "not knowing" as scary is another conditioned response by many of the major deistic religions. There's nothing scary in the least about not knowing how the universe was created.
    --

    I'm with most of the other posters, atheism is the absence of a belief in a deity not in any way a belief in its own right.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Anti-Pseudoscience Some's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    44
    There is a simple definition of atheism that gives a clue to the degree of shallowness of this dogma.



    1- Yes, They try to make it less irritating, but this is the reality.

    2- Atheists didn't give plausible explanation of why and how living organisms were created. All what they do is telling you it occurred once and was termed abiogenesis.
    samsmoot likes this.
    Men are four: He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool--shun him; He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple--teach him; He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep--wake him; He who knows and knows he knows, hi is wise--follow him!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,324
    It's as shallow as not believing in Quidditch.

    What do people who don't believe in Quidditch believe in?
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; April 17th, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Some View Post
    There is a simple definition of atheism that gives a clue to the degree of shallowness of this dogma.


    Atheism ('eɪθɪɪz(ə)m):
    "Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."
    (Oxford English Dictionary)

    That is all there is to the concept of atheism.
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; April 17th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Some View Post
    2- Atheists didn't give plausible explanation of why and how living organisms were created. All what they do is telling you it occurred once and was termed abiogenesis.
    That's all you've gotten from evolution? "They tell you it occurred"? Really? I mean, even Wikipedia has more information than that....

    You could get more than that from watching a single episode of Cosmos.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    2- Atheists didn't give plausible explanation of why and how living organisms were created
    Goddidit is a plausible explanation?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Some View Post
    2- Atheists didn't give plausible explanation of why and how living organisms were created. All what they do is telling you it occurred once and was termed abiogenesis.
    That's all you've gotten from evolution? "They tell you it occurred"? Really? I mean, even Wikipedia has more information than that....

    You could get more than that from watching a single episode of Cosmos.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG
    Goddidit is a plausible explanation?

    I think the content of post #25 is meant as satire.
    There is no other justification for the PRATTs used.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    I think the content of post #25 is meant as satire.
    There is no other justification for the PRATTs used.
    I don't think so. The video linked to was the old fine tuning argument. I think some is as clueless as he appears.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I think the content of post #25 is meant as satire.
    There is no other justification for the PRATTs used.
    I don't think so. The video linked to was the old fine tuning argument. I think some is as clueless as he appears.

    I cannot be bothered to give an extensive counterargument against the video,
    since we all agree that YouTube videos are not proof nor scientific evidence for anything.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    Don't need one. The title says it all 'Atheist Physicists Prove God. Anthropic Principle Fails"
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Goddidit is a plausible explanation?
    Well yes.
    Becuase he didn't do it magically.
    Oh... wait...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Don't need one. The title says it all 'Atheist Physicists Prove God. Anthropic Principle Fails"
    I believe this is the first full episode and goes into the multiverse idea as well What We Still Don't Know: "Are We Real?" - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Some View Post
    There is a simple definition of atheism that gives a clue to the degree of shallowness of this dogma.
    That is:
    (a) A strawman argument.

    I am guessing it is supposed to be a description of the history of universe but it is so divorced from any known science that it is hard to tell. It is a bit dissapointing that you have to be so grossly dishonest to try and make a point.

    (b) Irrelevant; you appear to be equating science with atheism (and therefore wrong) and religion with (non-scientific) truth.

    But, as others have noted, you are creating a false dichotomy. Not all scientists are atheists. Not all atheists are scientist.

    2- Atheists didn't give plausible explanation of why and how living organisms were created. All what they do is telling you it occurred once and was termed abiogenesis.
    I think you mean scientists, not atheists (note that many evolutionary biologists are religious, I assume the same is true of some of those researching the origins of life).

    It is rather bizarre to claim that there is something wrong with atheists because some other group can't answer a question. It is like criticising Christians because the local darts team lost a match.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Dear friends,I want to know what are the beliefs of atheism step by step.Like according to what I know(I very less knowledge of science) atheist think that
    An atheist is not something that you so much are. Rather, it's something you are from a theistic perspective. Ultimately the word only says what you're not, that the term "theist" is not applicable to you.
    the one, true definition of 'atheist' is 'without belief'.

    a-theist.

    The "a" prefix means without/non/ain't got no.
    As in....
    asexual=having no sex or sexual organs.
    amoral=without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
    apolitical=not political; of no political significance.
    atypical=not typical; not conforming to the type.
    asymmetrical=not symmetrical.
    atheist=not theist.
    Thats "IT". no other assumptions can be made from it.


    An Atheist has no belief in god/gods, he also has no belief in fairies and elves etc.., thats not to say that any of those things couldn't exist, it is just simply unreasonable to have a belief in such things. Atheist, simply lack belief.
    Atheists do not invoke any concept of god to explain any phenomenon or solve any philosophical conundrum, and they see no compelling reason to.
    Atheist do not profess to have the truth, it is simply that it is unreasonable, without further qualifing evidence.
    An Atheist is simply someone who does not posit a god-concept to explain anything or solve any problem, it is not mutually exclusive with agnostic. You can be agnostic with respect to some god-concepts while aintaining an Atheistic nature toward them all.
    Atheists do not say theres no god they simple have no belief, and thats no belief in god or gods, fairies, elves, etc.. because it is unreasonable and infantile to do so, it would be extremely foolish to say they believe god doesn't exist

    When we examine the components of the word 'atheism,' we can see this distinction more clearly. The word is made up of 'a-' and '-theism.' Theism, we will all agree, is a belief in a God or gods. The prefix 'a-' can mean 'not' (or 'no') or 'without.'Then we have as an atheist someone who is not a theist (i.e., someone who does not have a belief in a God or gods).

    belief or disbelief
    Belief vs. Disbelief: Believing, Not Believing, and Denying Gods

    dictionary definition of atheism
    Dictionary Definition of Atheism: How Modern Dictionaries Define Atheism & Atheists

    atheism vs agnosticism
    Atheism vs. Agnosticism: What's the Difference Between Atheism and Agnosticism?

    what is atheism? strong vs weak
    What Is Atheism? Strong vs. Weak Atheism: Definition of Atheism and Atheists Today



    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    1-The universe was created by coincidence.
    Wrong. We don't know is the honest answer, we don't how it started, nor what came first. We don't even know if that is a conherent question. All we do know is that it began. Adding a god just makes the whole thing more complicated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    2-Evolution caused the life to exist.Is this correct or I have missed something.
    As for the second part of your question atheism has nothing to do it. Nor does evolution. That would be abiogenesis.
    This is what we know by the evidence we have, even now we are not sure, it is still an open question, yet it is the best we have qiven the evidence. Abiogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    RedPanda likes this.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,324
    I guess the premise of the OP isn't valid.

    There is no such thing as "atheism" as in "ism" the art or practise of doing something.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    An atheist doesn't have to make any claims as to how the universe or organisms were created, this is not required for absence of belief. If I wanted to be really mean I could (state a fact) say that atheists (or at least agnostics) are intellectually modest, since they admit there are things they do not know and do not claim to (they don't attribute it to dogma that is highly improbable). But atheism is simply absence of belief in a deity, there are no further requirements (most sane individuals also subscribe to some sort of humanism and science).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I think you mean scientists, not atheists (note that many evolutionary biologists are religious, I assume the same is true of some of those researching the origins of life).

    Even if the majority of the people involved in the research to the origin(s) of life are religious, it would be irrelevant.

    Anyhow, it turns out that the video member Some posted in post #25 asserts the same as these videos (cf. post #18 and post #62), posted in April 2013 and June 2013 respectively. He/she has not addressed any of the criticisms addressed by other members in that thread (or in another thread), so I do not expect that (s)he will do the same here.
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; April 17th, 2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    He/she has not addressed any of the criticisms addressed by other members in that thread (or in another thread), so I do not expect that (s)he will do the same here.
    A serial seagull poster. Dishonest and annoying.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    I guess the premise of the OP isn't valid.

    There is no such thing as "atheism" as in "ism" the art or practise of doing something.
    Not to mention it's a term to denominate people who don't believe in something which cannot be shown to exist. You might as well come up with a term for people who don't believe in Santa Claus and then question their moral standing.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religion

    in the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...



    [img]

    Last edited by grmpysmrf; April 17th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Upload the picture to Photobucket and then copy and paste the forum link with [img] tags.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religion

    in the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...



    [img]

    More insults
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,338
    Strictly speaking, an atheist is simply one lacking belief in deities. That's true as a girl is simply one lacking a wee-wee like her brother has. So let's get real: to consider and engage the human condition as atheists, to mature and go through life while "simply" lacking belief in deities, we do meet some unique challenges, philosophical questions mostly, without religion to guide us. We do often share similar attitudes and reach identical conclusions. And we - atheists as a group - are susceptible to the same faults. This is all because the human condition is a landscape of unavoidable features that rub atheists differently than believers (e.g. you're gonna die and what do you make of that?). So we atheists tend to take paths we may as well admit most trodden by our kind.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    [img]

    More insults
    Intriguing.
    What, specifically, is "insulting" about it?
    The fact that it's essentially the case or the fact that it's not using the same weasel language as religion uses?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    [img]

    More insults
    Intriguing.
    What, specifically, is "insulting" about it?
    The fact that it's essentially the case or the fact that it's not using the same weasel language as religion uses?
    Making a joke out of my religion. You want to insult.
    I haven't read it in full because I've seen these sorts of things before. They are just there to undermine a Christian.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Making a joke out of my religion. You want to insult.
    I haven't read it in full because I've seen these sorts of things before. They are just there to undermine a Christian.
    Can you tell me why it's "making a joke"?
    All it does is repeat the claims of religion in terms that aren't as flattering (or nebulous) as those used in the religion.
    Do you dispute the accuracy of the words?

    Oh wait... you haven't bothered to read all of it. That's how you know it's insulting.
    pavlos and grmpysmrf like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Thanks for all of the replies.The conclusion is that -1-atheism is not got to do anything with science.2-Don't know what caused abiogenesis.we believe in Big Bang but don't know what caused it and same is for abiogenesis.What about all the forces that cause the earth to exist?Is coincidence the answer?I used to think that we are atheist because god says that he created humans but they actually evolved from animals.Is it wrong?.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    I used to think that we are atheist because god says that he created humans but they actually evolved from animals.Is it wrong?.
    You see?
    THIS is what makes me doubt that you are, in fact, an atheist.
    WE - as theists - do NOT have a single specific reason for being atheist.
    The ONLY thing that atheists have in common is a lack of belief in god(s) - in effect, when it comes to atheists, there is no "we".
    For some it's because the Bible (or any other creation story) has been shown to be wrong by science.
    For others it's simply that arguments put forward for existence of "god" are unconvincing.
    The reason YOU are an atheist (if you actually are) is your own reason - other atheists may or may agree on that reason.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    I am an atheist.I am very young.The time I became atheist I was zero in knowledge.Now I thought I must know that if I am an atheist is there any scientific support for it.Is there any theory other than evolution which supports atheism?.I clearly understood what is atheism but we don't believe in religion because there is no Enough evidenceFor it so is there any evidience for atheism?But let's not get in to it name the theories which support atheism.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    I am an atheist.I am very young.The time I became atheist I was zero in knowledge.Now I thought I must know that if I am an atheist is there any scientific support for it.Is there any theory other than evolution which supports atheism?.I clearly understood what is atheism but we don't believe in religion because there is no Enough evidenceFor it so is there any evidience for atheism?But let's not get in to it name the theories which support atheism.
    You're entirely missing the point.
    Atheism is a LACK of belief.
    There is no evidence FOR atheism.
    Atheism, roughly, is based on the lack of evidence FOR god(s).
    If there's no evidence to support the claim that god(s) exist then why should we believe they do?

    I don't believe in fairies because there's no evidence for them.
    I don't believe in the Easter Bunny because there's no evidence for it (plus the fact that "Easter Bunny" is far more of an American thing than an English one).
    I don't believe in ghosts because there's no evidence for them.
    I don't believe in souls because... can you guess?

    If you (or anyone else) want(s) me to believe in ANY of those all that's necessary is to show me the evidence.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religionin the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...[img]
    More insults
    I know, right? How stupid does christianity think people are? Dumb enough to believe that nonsense i guess. It certainly is insulting.Oh... wait... You meant i was insulting. Lol yeah. Insulting. Thats what it was. Its your religion not mine.Really, its insulting that you believe that story and are hurt that others find it daft and question you on it. Seriously, grow up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religionin the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...[img]
    More insults
    I know, right? How stupid does christianity think people are? Dumb enough to believe that nonsense i guess. It certainly is insulting.Oh... wait... You meant i was insulting. Lol yeah. Insulting. Thats what it was. Its your religion not mine.Really, its insulting that you believe that story and are hurt that others find it daft and question you on it. Seriously, grow up.
    Don't complain if I insult you and I'm fine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    [img]
    More insults
    Intriguing.What, specifically, is "insulting" about it?The fact that it's essentially the case or the fact that it's not using the same weasel language as religion uses?
    Making a joke out of my religion. You want to insult.I haven't read it in full because I've seen these sorts of things before. They are just there to undermine a Christian.
    How is clarification undermining christians? How is that a joke out of your religion? (You dont know cause you didnt read it) perhaps it puts your religion in a light you do not wish to see it in. How is any of what it says inaccurate? Please set me straight since its so grossly in error.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religionin the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...[img]
    More insults
    I know, right? How stupid does christianity think people are? Dumb enough to believe that nonsense i guess. It certainly is insulting.Oh... wait... You meant i was insulting. Lol yeah. Insulting. Thats what it was. Its your religion not mine.Really, its insulting that you believe that story and are hurt that others find it daft and question you on it. Seriously, grow up.
    Don't complain if I insult you and I'm fine.
    Just answer the questions. Dont deflect. Just explain yourself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Explain how any of that is an insult. Otherwise you're dismissed
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    First off Atheists don't have a "dogma" cause that would make it a religion, and no matter how badly Christians want it to be, Atheism is not a religionin the interest of equal time here is a response to Christianity...[img]
    More insults
    I know, right? How stupid does christianity think people are? Dumb enough to believe that nonsense i guess. It certainly is insulting.Oh... wait... You meant i was insulting. Lol yeah. Insulting. Thats what it was. Its your religion not mine.Really, its insulting that you believe that story and are hurt that others find it daft and question you on it. Seriously, grow up.
    Don't complain if I insult you and I'm fine.
    Just answer the questions. Dont deflect. Just explain yourself.
    So you think there were questions needing to be answered --- dismiss me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    deleted
    Last edited by Strange; April 18th, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    More insults
    Was the stupid one about atheists not insulting, then? (Or intended to be. It was too stupid to actually insult anyone.)
    Last edited by Strange; April 18th, 2014 at 05:08 AM.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    More insults
    Was the stupid one about atheists not insulting, then?
    Which one was that now. I'm studying ATM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    I am an atheist.I am very young.The time I became atheist I was zero in knowledge.Now I thought I must know that if I am an atheist is there any scientific support for it.Is there any theory other than evolution which supports atheism?.
    You are confusing science with atheism.

    Evolution doesn't support atheism. It has nothing to do with it. There are religious people who understand science and accept evolution. There are atheists who reject evolution.

    I clearly understood what is atheism
    I don't think you do, based on your posts here.

    but we don't believe in religion because there is no Enough evidence For it
    That is not the reason I don't believe in God.

    so is there any evidience for atheism? But let's not get in to it name the theories which support atheism.
    How can there be evidence or theories supporting atheism? That is meaningless. It is like asking for theories supporting the idea that cricket is better than football.
    Last edited by Strange; April 18th, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
    scoobydoo1 likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    1-atheism is not got to do anything with science.
    2-Don't know what caused abiogenesis.
    Nothing to do with atheism.

    we believe in Big Bang
    (a) Nothing to do with atheism. (One of the people who developed the theory was a Roman Catholic priest and physicist.)
    (b) People don't "believe" in the big bang. They accept it as the current best theory.

    but don't know what caused it and same is for abiogenesis.
    Irrelevant. And nothing to do with atheism.

    What about all the forces that cause the earth to exist?
    What about them? Nothing to do with atheism.

    Is coincidence the answer?
    Coincidence means two things happening at the same time. So it doesn't appear relevant.

    I used to think that we are atheist because god says that he created humans but they actually evolved from animals.Is it wrong?.
    It is wrong in two ways:

    (a) Humans are animals, we didn't evolve from them.

    (b) It has nothing to do with atheism.
    pavlos likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    He/she has not addressed any of the criticisms addressed by other members in that thread (or in another thread), so I do not expect that (s)he will do the same here.
    A serial seagull poster. Dishonest and annoying.

    Yes, (s)he is.
    I recall a similar case that happened last year with member PetriFB, who did nothing more than proselytizing and denigrating atheists in fly-by posts.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    [img]

    More insults
    Intriguing.
    What, specifically, is "insulting" about it?
    The fact that it's essentially the case or the fact that it's not using the same weasel language as religion uses?
    Making a joke out of my religion. You want to insult.
    I haven't read it in full because I've seen these sorts of things before. They are just there to undermine a Christian.
    It seems to me that this is just a rearranging of words.

    I would like to know which part of that picture is untrue. When the flowery prose is removed and the stories are broken down and modern terms are inserted, does it insult your religion or simply reveal the absurdities?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Please be on the topic.Dont start fighting on other topics.Its a request to all the members.Thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you

    Information about the Big Bang theory can be found here:
    Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    If you have any questions after reading the article in question, do not hesitate to ask them.
    However, be certain to ask them in the appropriate sub-forum (see the answer of member Strange).
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; April 18th, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you
    We don't know how the universe came to exist. (It may have always existed. It may have been created by a god, or by alien lizards. It might have been an accident.)

    The big bang theory just describes the evolution of the universe from an earlier hot dense state based on the evidence we see around us.

    Note that asking this in the religion forum is fairly pointless; it has nothing to do with religion (or atheism). You would get better answers in the astronomy & cosmology forum: http://www.thescienceforum.com/astronomy-cosmology/

    There have already been many threads on this. You might find answers there.
    Last edited by Strange; April 18th, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
    MrMojo1 and Flick Montana like this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you
    Can anyone tell me step by step who made god, and what did he do before he fashioned the universe? Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Please be on the topic.
    Then why have you changed the topic from atheism to cosmology?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Please be on the topic.
    Then why have you changed the topic from atheism to cosmology?
    An inability to differentiate science from not believing in God it seems.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    Without making excuses for him, remember that Lawman is a 17 year old, typically ignorant kid.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you
    Information about the Big Bang theory can be found here: Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIf you have any questions after reading the article in question, do not hesitate to ask them.However, be certain to ask them in the appropriate sub-forum (see the answer of member Strange).
    thanks for your your help.I will read and ask questions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    The ONLY thing that atheists have in common is a lack of belief in god(s) - in effect, when it comes to atheists, there is no "we".
    Would you say the ONLY thing vegetarians have in common is a lack of meat-eating, so we mustn't generalize about vegetarian beliefs?

    I don't think evading the thread question is helping us. I think it was a fair question, and moreover we could admit a few valid criticisms regarding atheists generally.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Would you say the ONLY thing vegetarians have in common is a lack of meat-eating, so we mustn't generalize about vegetarian beliefs?
    Yes.

    I don't think evading the thread question is helping us. I think it was a fair question, and moreover we could admit a few valid criticisms regarding atheists generally.
    No one is evading the question. What criticisms would you make of all/most atheists?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman View Post
    Can anyone please explain me step by step how the universe came into exist.I want to know that what was there before the Big Bang.Thank you
    If god created the universe, and was there before the Big Bang, then I want to know what was there before god. Because the origin event for god is ultimately the indirect origin event for the whole universe if he created the universe.

    Or wait. He exists "outside of time", right? But who says the universe exists "inside of time"? Wouldn't it make more sense to say time exists "inside the universe"?
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Would you say the ONLY thing vegetarians have in common is a lack of meat-eating, so we mustn't generalize about vegetarian beliefs?
    More or less.
    Although, possibly, there are fewer total reasons for their choice.

    I don't think evading the thread question is helping us. I think it was a fair question, and moreover we could admit a few valid criticisms regarding atheists generally.
    It wasn't an evasion.
    The question was: I used to think that we are atheist because god says that he created humans but they actually evolved from animals.Is it wrong?.
    Now, while SOME atheists may have based their lack of belief on that it's entirely wrong to state, or even assume, that ALL do so.
    I realised I was an atheist before I hit my teens (and also realised I'd been atheist long before that) - hadn't even been introduced to evolution at that age.
    Ergo, my atheism had nothing to do with evolution.
    Likewise a few other posters here have declared that they were atheist from a similar early age - I doubt that they had been exposed to evolution at that time.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Everybody has beliefs of some sort. Most atheists, or the more vocal atheists that I have seen, seem to adhere to a humanist ideology. A lot of them do not recognize this as a belief system, but think they arrived at their opinions based on logic or common sense.

    This does not apply to all atheists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I don't think evading the thread question is helping us. I think it was a fair question, and moreover we could admit a few valid criticisms regarding atheists generally.
    No one is evading the question. What criticisms would you make of all/most atheists?
    Saying atheists have nothing in common - except the terse fact of atheism - is evading. We were asked what beliefs we share.

    Criticisms... well, I think the two basic kinds of atheist earn the strongest criticisms, particular to themselves. One kind of atheist is by default - simply never did believe in deities, because religion isn't in the upbringing or culture. Most Chinese fit this category. Of this kind, unless we're unusually thoughtful by nature, we make our own morals as required, as it suits us. You could say we're a-moral (different than immoral). The other main type of atheist has rejected religion. This kind has skewed sensibilities, because anything the enemy religion embraces, is suspect and tainted. Kinda like Jews who dislike German cars. Most outspoken and American atheists fit this category. I could go on... or you could to be honest...
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Saying atheists have nothing in common - except the terse fact of atheism - is evading.
    Evading is a very negative way to put it.

    As for Most outspoken and American atheists fit this category. you'd be pretty outspoken too if you were an American atheist. The very worst of the fundamentalist christians go out of their way, very aggressively at times, to do things like take over school boards and obstruct the teaching of science. We hear most about evolution, but the young earth creationists also make it impossible to teach any science relating to geology or astronomy or archaeology.

    Science teachers - who teach proper science - as well as informed parents are one avenue for opposition to this anti-scientific, anti-intellectual force. I come from a place where being atheist is sort of taken for granted, who cares anyway. If I were American I'd be outspoken about proper teaching of science. I might also be out, loud and proud about being atheist in such circumstances.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    [Saying atheists have nothing in common - except the terse fact of atheism - is evading. We were asked what beliefs we share.
    It isn't evading because, as far as I know, there are no beliefs shared by all atheists (or even all people). For example, most atheists probably believe that there is some sort of objective reality "out there" independent of the models our minds create. But most religious people probably believe that as well. Among the few who don't (some philosophers and insane people) there are probably religious and non-religious people.

    Of this kind, unless we're unusually thoughtful by nature, we make our own morals as required, as it suits us. You could say we're a-moral (different than immoral).
    I wouldn't describe that as amoral. To me, that is a belief that there is no right or wrong. There are undoubtedly some atheists who believe that. But there are probably religious people who do (I assume there are psychopaths who believe in god).

    I like to think I am quite a moral person. My morals are based on the society I grew up in and are, inevitably, influenced by Christianity. But when I lived in Japan, I found most of my moral beliefs were, if anything, more closely aligned with Japanese norms.

    The other main type of atheist has rejected religion. This kind has skewed sensibilities, because anything the enemy religion embraces, is suspect and tainted. Kinda like Jews who dislike German cars. Most outspoken and American atheists fit this category.
    I agree there is a vocal group of atheists where the "a" stands for anti-. Like that Dawkins bloke, they can rather annoying (and, as you say, seem to be mainly those who have rejected or "escaped" a religious upbringing). I don't know whether they are a majority or minority of atheists.

    But again, that is a criticism of some atheists, not all atheists or atheists in general.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Saying atheists have nothing in common - except the terse fact of atheism - is evading. We were asked what beliefs we share.
    As was pointed out: we DON'T share beliefs.

    You could say we're a-moral (different than immoral).
    In other words we have morals: ergo not immoral.

    The other main type of atheist has rejected religion. This kind has skewed sensibilities, because anything the enemy religion embraces, is suspect and tainted. Kinda like Jews who dislike German cars. Most outspoken and American atheists fit this category. I could go on... or you could to be honest...
    So you've got one criticism of some atheists.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    Forum Sophomore Busy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I don't think evading the thread question is helping us. I think it was a fair question, and moreover we could admit a few valid criticisms regarding atheists generally.
    No one is evading the question. What criticisms would you make of all/most atheists?
    Saying atheists have nothing in common - except the terse fact of atheism - is evading. We were asked what beliefs we share.

    Criticisms... well, I think the two basic kinds of atheist earn the strongest criticisms, particular to themselves. One kind of atheist is by default - simply never did believe in deities, because religion isn't in the upbringing or culture. Most Chinese fit this category. Of this kind, unless we're unusually thoughtful by nature, we make our own morals as required, as it suits us. You could say we're a-moral (different than immoral). The other main type of atheist has rejected religion. This kind has skewed sensibilities, because anything the enemy religion embraces, is suspect and tainted. Kinda like Jews who dislike German cars. Most outspoken and American atheists fit this category. I could go on... or you could to be honest...
    It's not evading the question, atheism is the denial of any deity - end of definition. You can be an atheist and believe the Earth if flat, humans came about through interbreeding with aliens and the geocentric model. So long as you deny the existence of deities you're an atheist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  87. #86  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507

    (More information: Boardroom Suggestion Meme)
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  88. #87  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    There are(at-least) 2 kinds of atheist.
    One kind doesn't believe there is a "GOD" and ignores the whole genre.

    And, then, we have the self proclaimed atheist who believe that they can define "GOD" and proscribe acceptable behaviors of their imagined "GOD".
    These poor deluded fools believe that they know what they do, in fact, not know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  89. #88  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    And, then, we have the self proclaimed atheist who believe that they can define "GOD" and proscribe acceptable behaviors of their imagined "GOD".
    These poor deluded fools believe that they know what they do, in fact, not know.
    Yeah?
    Examples?
    And what do you mean by "self-proclaimed"?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  90. #89  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    as in
    Do you declare yourself an atheist?
    Do you proclaim yourself to be an atheist?
    Do you make these declarations unbidden?

    If so, then you are a self proclaimed atheist.
    Declarations of this sort are usually followed by excuses of why the declared position is justified.

    examples: "If "god" existed, "god" wouldn't allow babies to suffer".
    flip side: "We won the war because we had "god" on our side"

    From my perspective: "GOD" the TAO, the great architect of the universe, the driving wheel of the universe, etc...
    are best left in the category of the undefined. The best we can do is to accept the undefined and then realize and recognize the residual patterns thereof,
    or reject the undefined and stfu.

    Either is fine with me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  91. #90  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    as in
    Do you declare yourself an atheist?
    Do you proclaim yourself to be an atheist?
    Do you make these declarations unbidden?
    So why the differentiation between "atheist" and "self-declared atheist"?

    If so, then you are a self proclaimed atheist.
    Nah, a de facto atheist who happens to declare to be so. (IOW "self-declared" has connotations you [ideally] didn't mean).

    Declarations of this sort are usually followed by excuses of why the declared position is justified.
    Really?
    In what context?

    examples: "If "god" existed, "god" wouldn't allow babies to suffer".
    You mean that such atheists take theist's claims at face value about the "loving god"?
    You seem to be missing the point (although that's not new).
    IF "god" is what he's claimed to be BY theists THEN etc...
    That's not "atheists believing that they can define "GOD" and proscribe acceptable behaviors of their imagined "GOD"".

    flip side: "We won the war because we had "god" on our side"
    Oh yeah, because "self declared atheists" are well known for such pronunciations, aren't they?

    From my perspective: "GOD" the TAO, the great architect of the universe, the driving wheel of the universe, etc...
    are best left in the category of the undefined. The best we can do is to accept the undefined and then realize and recognize the residual patterns thereof, or reject the undefined and stfu.
    Right. YOUR particular interpretation - not the one generally pushed by theists - is the one we should accept. And if we don't we should keep quiet.
    Got it.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  92. #91  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    .....
    Right. YOUR particular interpretation - not the one generally pushed by theists - is the one we should accept. And if we don't we should keep quiet.
    Got it.
    Atheists don't participate in the rain dances .... no wonder we are getting global warming!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  93. #92  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Atheists don't participate in the rain dances .... no wonder we are getting global warming!
    You know damned well it's the shortage of pirates causing that.
    Busy Bee, grmpysmrf and samsmoot like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  94. #93  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Atheists don't worship the Moon in cultures that have Moon Gods. Mondays are out and so are Sundays. In fact every day of the week is no good for they are all named after one God or other.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  95. #94  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Atheists don't participate in the rain dances .... no wonder we are getting global warming!
    You know damned well it's the shortage of pirates causing that.
    Pirates and atheists are negatively correlated.
    Pirates worshipped Mammon the God of Money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  96. #95  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Mondays are out and so are Sundays. In fact every day of the week is no good for they are all named after one God or other.
    What does "out" and "no good" mean?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  97. #96  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    In the most accurate sense ...

    Atheists accept statements with the amount of certainty that can be proven.

    Some atheists feel the need to emphasize that atheists do not believe in God or any god, and they seem to use this specific statement as their manifesto.

    This may ruffle some feathers on this forum, but, if the existence of God (or a god) could be proven, then true atheists would believe in god.
    SpeedFreek likes this.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  98. #97  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    What does "out" and "no good" mean?
    Well, with reference to Mondays specifically "no good" means "f*cking awful". Especially Monday mornings.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  99. #98  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Mondays are out and so are Sundays. In fact every day of the week is no good for they are all named after one God or other.
    What does "out" and "no good" mean?
    Exactly the opposite feeling the puddle had.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  100. #99  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmonroe View Post
    In the most accurate sense ...

    Atheists accept statements with the amount of certainty that can be proven.

    Some atheists feel the need to emphasize that atheists do not believe in God or any god, and they seem to use this specific statement as their manifesto.

    This may ruffle some feathers on this forum, but, if the existence of God (or a god) could be proven, then true atheists would believe in god.
    God would have to change his name then so the atheists remains true to their beliefs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  101. #100  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Mondays are out and so are Sundays. In fact every day of the week is no good for they are all named after one God or other.
    What does "out" and "no good" mean?
    Exactly the opposite feeling the puddle had.
    Are you deliberately attempting to make no sense at all? (It's working.) Or are you just drunk?

    We could always just use the Chinese names for the days (as some European languages already do, I think).
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Purpose of beliefs
    By tuppence in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
  2. Philosophical Beliefs
    By gottspieler in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 9th, 2009, 08:48 AM
  3. Reason for your (non)beliefs?
    By Quantime in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: October 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM
  4. Forum beliefs
    By Truth1010 in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
  5. Human beliefs
    By freedom21 in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 29th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •