Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 117 of 117
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: The distinction between an atheist and an agnostic

  1. #101  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    These are hard to distinguish, one from the other. My interpretation is: technically, no one knows whether or not God exists. Agnostics are skeptical of his existence and atheists can only deny the unknown. Are all atheists closet-agnostics ? Or, are all agnostics simply reflecting the fact that the God question remains unknown ? Is there any real difference between these very-similar ideas ? In my opinion, no; just semantics. An agnostic seems, to myself, to be
    a person who is highly doubtful of God's existence but not willing to let go, entirely. An atheist admits (if he's honest) that he has no certainty of God's non-existence but that the probability is virtually nil. Either term applies equally well to me. If there is a distinction to you, please explain what that distinction is.
    What have you got against us Deists?
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    What have you got against us Deists?
    I formally accuse you of being an atheist of Thor, you (probably) dont beleive in Thor. I am shocked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    What have you got against us Deists?
    I formally accuse you of being an atheist of Thor, you (probably) dont beleive in Thor. I am shocked
    How can you not believe in someone who wields a hammer like that?
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    As a deist I believe In a Creator, which excludes any gods who did not make the universe.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    As a deist I believe In a Creator, which excludes any gods who did not make the universe.
    You believe in any Gods associated with creation lore? How do you make time in the day to pay them all proper homage?
    umbradiago likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    As a deist I believe In a Creator, which excludes any gods who did not make the universe.
    You believe in any Gods associated with creation lore? How do you make time in the day to pay them all proper homage?
    Hello again Flick. Call the Creator anything you like but there's still only one of them. Creation lore is of little relevance to a Deist, and in any event belief in a God or gods implies no necessity to pay homage.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Hello again Flick. Call the Creator anything you like but there's still only one of them.
    Wow. How do you know that?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Creation lore is of little relevance to a Deist, and in any event belief in a God or gods implies no necessity to pay homage.
    Your made up religion sounds pretty nice. You can wallow in ignorance and denial in regards to any science you like, but you still get that warm fuzzy feeling from knowing everything there is to know about everything AND YET you don't have to sacrifice goats or beat up homosexuals if you don't want. Sounds like paradise for the uneducated masses. You should write a book or something.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Hello again Flick. Call the Creator anything you like but there's still only one of them.
    Wow. How do you know that?
    Because the word is singular and by definition can only include one entity. The Creator, whether one or many entities, is still the Creator, so if it turns out that a committee was involved I'll add the 's'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Hello again Flick. Call the Creator anything you like but there's still only one of them.
    Wow. How do you know that?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Creation lore is of little relevance to a Deist, and in any event belief in a God or gods implies no necessity to pay homage.
    Your made up religion sounds pretty nice. You can wallow in ignorance and denial in regards to any science you like, but you still get that warm fuzzy feeling from knowing everything there is to know about everything AND YET you don't have to sacrifice goats or beat up homosexuals if you don't want. Sounds like paradise for the uneducated masses. You should write a book or something.
    Once again, by definition, Deism excludes any notion of religion. The rhetoric that follows therefore makes no sense.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Because the word is singular and by definition can only include one entity. The Creator, whether one or many entities, is still the Creator, so if it turns out that a committee was involved I'll add the 's'.
    Wow! How flexible. It's almost as if whatever you believe is so vague and open to interpretation that it isn't even cohesive enough to require intelligent thought. It just sort of "is". Like clouds 'n stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Once again, by definition, Deism excludes any notion of religion. The rhetoric that follows therefore makes no sense.
    AND it's completely immune to criticism. Well-done, sir.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Nothing. I have nothing against anyone. Deists led the American Revolution. But, had Darwin preceded them, they'd likely have been agnostics; would have been just fine by me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    These are hard to distinguish, one from the other. My interpretation is: technically, no one knows whether or not God exists. Agnostics are skeptical of his existence and atheists can only deny the unknown. Are all atheists closet-agnostics ? Or, are all agnostics simply reflecting the fact that the God question remains unknown ? Is there any real difference between these very-similar ideas ? In my opinion, no; just semantics. An agnostic seems, to myself, to be
    a person who is highly doubtful of God's existence but not willing to let go, entirely. An atheist admits (if he's honest) that he has no certainty of God's non-existence but that the probability is virtually nil. Either term applies equally well to me. If there is a distinction to you, please explain what that distinction is.
    What have you got against us Deists?
    samsmoot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Because the word is singular and by definition can only include one entity. The Creator, whether one or many entities, is still the Creator, so if it turns out that a committee was involved I'll add the 's'.
    Wow! How flexible. It's almost as if whatever you believe is so vague and open to interpretation that it isn't even cohesive enough to require intelligent thought. It just sort of "is". Like clouds 'n stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Once again, by definition, Deism excludes any notion of religion. The rhetoric that follows therefore makes no sense.
    AND it's completely immune to criticism. Well-done, sir.
    That Deism is completely immune to criticism is totally contradicted by your responses on this thread and elsewhere.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Because the word is singular and by definition can only include one entity. The Creator, whether one or many entities, is still the Creator, so if it turns out that a committee was involved I'll add the 's'.
    Wow! How flexible. It's almost as if whatever you believe is so vague and open to interpretation that it isn't even cohesive enough to require intelligent thought. It just sort of "is". Like clouds 'n stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    Once again, by definition, Deism excludes any notion of religion. The rhetoric that follows therefore makes no sense.
    AND it's completely immune to criticism. Well-done, sir.
    That Deism is completely immune to criticism is totally contradicted by your responses on this thread and elsewhere.
    Fair enough. Guess I confused 'immune' and 'oblivious'.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    AN agnostic is simply an atheist who doesn't feel like arguing over it.
    RedPanda and Robittybob1 like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    An atheist looking for God is like a thief looking for a policeman.
    Robittybob1 likes this.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,665
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    An atheist looking for God
    Is an oxymoron.
    Doesn't happen. Can't happen.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Atheist is a really silly word.

    I don't play golf
    Is there a word for non golf players, and do they gather together and conspire to denounce golf?
    umbradiago and Unununium like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    And never finding one. Never. So the thief continues plundering things he doesn't need or understand. You're doing this. Lack of evidence is not evidence of something lacking. Negatives cannot be proven, or even studied, examined. With this in mind, anything imaginary needs more than imagination to be considered real.
    Quote Originally Posted by samsmoot View Post
    An atheist looking for God is like a thief looking for a policeman.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Biblical Errors or How I became agnostic again
    By pmb in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
  2. Why I'm Agnostic
    By filix in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: March 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
  3. What's The Difference Between Agnostic and Atheist
    By honeybunny in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: June 29th, 2011, 11:44 PM
  4. What is the source of class distinction?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 21st, 2009, 03:09 AM
  5. am I an Atheist?
    By qwertyman in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •