Notices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 193
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Is there room for spiritualty in science?

  1. #1 Is there room for spiritualty in science? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    I walked in on three of my friends having quite an interesting discussion this morning. They were arguing on whether spirituality had a place in science. These are their arguments; Friend 1, as we may call him, who was an atheist, claimed that science cannot talk on spirituality when there is no proof of it, and science cannot work with anything that has no scientific merit, Friend 2, who is both spiritual and religious, countered by stating that science is a search for answers, so how can it discount the possibility of something so common amongst people as spiritualty is, and has been since the earliest humans who could record information on a cave wall. Friend 3, who is spiritual, believes in a higher power, but I'm not sure as to whether he has a set religion or not, chimed in and said that there is evidence for spiritualty, from near death experiences, to psychic experiences, to ghosts. Though some things can be explained as mere coincidence or even as hoaxes, there is far to much unexplainable evidence to simply discount it, as that it would be irresponsible for a scientist to do so. Friend 3 went on to talk about spirituality is in itself a form science, and is only not recognised as one by the scientific community because they have chosen not too. Listening to these arguments, which where obviously more lengthy than I put in here, I want to know what people here think of it. Being open minded, and without making personal attacks on anyone person, I want to see how you all think spirituality fits in with science...


     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    ​no.


    pavlos and BobTheIgnorant like this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    what makes you say that, if you don't mind my asking?
     

  5. #4  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Until it is supported by anything asides from wishful thinking... it cannot be valid as a science. No experimentation, no empirical observations, no quantitative data.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    That's the point though isn't it, I'm not saying whether its true or not, but the fact is many people do believe spirituality has a place in science, and its not just because of wishful thinking. A lot of people find the world to be somewhat scary, and so they dive into there own fantasy worlds, but when experiments are done to 'test for the existence of the paranormal', and said experiments come back with some sort of result, we cant simply put it down to coincidence and wishful thinking.
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    The only interest there might be in spirituality for science would be in fields like sociology, psychology, anthropology.

    "Spirituality" would have nothing to contribute to physics or oceanography or microbiology. And that would be even if spirituality ever turned out to be a "thing".
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    yes.

    But perhaps not in the way many think. Scientist are animals not more separated from emotional motivations such as curiosity and perhaps even indication of awe in other sentient species. Spiritually at an emotional level doesn't necessarily need to have anything to with supernatural; it is more to with the feelings of connectedness with others, the natural environment and awe when observing those connections. But admittingly its very definition can be difficult but I'm not sure the feeling associated with it is all that different between individuals. The awe, the deep yearning to understand are probably the same. For me I feel spiritual watching a summer storm, contemplating the trophic cascades happening in Yellowstone park where reinstroduction of a few dozen wolves are now changing the very geography of the river systems, or thinking about the incredible range of emergent properties from cell organelle to galaxies and of course our our brains ability to even consider these questions.

    Carl Sagan expressed his views about the relationship between science and spirituality:
    "Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. "

    Sagan of course was an astronomer, so in contrast we also consider the views of Ursula Goodenough, a biologist, at the opposite end of the spectrum who writes in "The sacred depths of nature" that "
    Any global tradition needs to begin with a shared worldview — a culture-dependent, globally accepted consensus as to how things are" and further that science is the only credible method to get to that shared worldview of how things work and connected--both at the very roots of spirituality.

    If I were not spiritual, I would probably have no interest in science, nor any in teaching science to children.



    KALSTER, pavlos, Strange and 3 others like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    Adelady, True, Spirituality, if its real, would most probably not contribute a whole lot to many specific scientific studies, but that's not really what I'm getting at here. What I'm trying to say is, not whether Spirituality will contribute to a specific scientific topic, but whether it could ever be considered a legitimate part of science. No has yet proven it to not exist, so it is only reasonable that we look at it as a possibility. After all, Science is about finding the answers, not defending what we think the answers probably are.
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    Lynx_Fox, Your view on science and spirituality that you just posted is surly inspirational, we cannot begin to understand all the mysteries of the world we live in, but, as you say, its truly is awe inspiring.
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    yes.

    But perhaps not in the way many think. Scientist are animals not more separated from emotional motivations such as curiosity and perhaps even indication of awe in other sentient species. Spiritually at an emotional level doesn't necessarily need to have anything to with supernatural; it is more to with the feelings of connectedness with others, the natural environment and awe when observing those connections. But admittingly its very definition can be difficult but I'm not sure the feeling associated with it is all that different between individuals. The awe, the deep yearning to understand are probably the same. For me I feel spiritual watching a summer storm, contemplating the trophic cascades happening in Yellowstone park where reinstroduction of a few dozen wolves are now changing the very geography of the river systems, or thinking about the incredible range of emergent properties from cell organelle to galaxies and of course our our brains ability to even consider these questions.

    Carl Sagan expressed his views about the relationship between science and spirituality:
    "Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. "

    Sagan of course was an astronomer, so in contrast we also consider the views of Ursula Goodenough, a biologist, at the opposite end of the spectrum who writes in "The sacred depths of nature" that "
    Any global tradition needs to begin with a shared worldview — a culture-dependent, globally accepted consensus as to how things are" and further that science is the only credible method to get to that shared worldview of how things work and connected--both at the very roots of spirituality.

    If I were not spiritual, I would probably have no interest in science, nor any in teaching science to children.



    That is brilliant!

    There are many shared views as well. What is important to highlight here is the word spirituality versus religious. Folks mix them up far too often!


    Cheers!
    [Analyst/Engineer/Independent]

    "SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK"
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    I find spirituality in mathematics more than in science, things like the "golden ratio" or fractals, things like that, that inspire a sense of wonderment.
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Anyone who's been anywhere near a night sky in the Australian outback knows that overwhelming sense of awestruck wonder. And there are similar kinds of amazing places all over the world. And then there are microscopes.

    Perhaps I'm a bit of a toughie, but I'd never call those experiences "spiritual".
    seagypsy likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    It's certainly interesting how we label things. Under my definition awe is most definitely is tied to spirituality and usually accompanied by feelings of connectedness that compel me to want to know a lot more about the night sky.

    There also seems to be at least some support for the idea that regardless of what we call it, those feeling of awe and connectedness are the same regardless of the context of being an athiest (me) or religious (me a long time ago)--all that is different is our interpretation. For example there are several studies that look at self-transcendence and brain activity as well as ones that look at changes after surgery or severe injury such as this one that concludes: " Therefore, modifications of neural activity in temporoparietal areas may induce unusually fast modulations of a stable personality trait related to transcendental self-referential awareness. These results hint at the active, crucial role of left and right parietal systems in determining self-transcendence and cast new light on the neurobiological bases of altered spiritual and religious attitudes and behaviors in neurological and mental disorders." The Spiritual Brain: Selective Cortical Lesions Modulate Human Self-Transcendence

    Strange likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    Friend 1, as we may call him, who was an atheist, claimed that science cannot talk on spirituality when there is no proof of it, and science cannot work with anything that has no scientific merit, Friend 2, who is both spiritual and religious, countered by stating that science is a search for answers, so how can it discount the possibility of something so common amongst people as spiritualty is
    There seems to be some confusion as to what is meant by "spirituality" here (*). As a human need/experience, it obviously exists. It can be, and is, investigated by science. So it sounds like both Friend 1 and Friend 2 are wrong.

    However, that human experience appears to relate to something intangible, if it exists at all. That would therefore be outside the scope of science, which relies on objective measurement, etc.

    Friend 3, who is spiritual, believes in a higher power, but I'm not sure as to whether he has a set religion or not, chimed in and said that there is evidence for spiritualty, from near death experiences, to psychic experiences, to ghosts.
    All of these can also be explained by more mundane things. At which point, Occam's Razor applies.

    Friend 3 went on to talk about spirituality is in itself a form science,
    The only word for that is nonsense. Where is the objective data, the analyses, the hypothesis testing, repeatability and review, etc? without those, it ain't science.

    Friend 3 seems to lack scepticism and critical thinking (based on your brief description here) and accepts anecdotes as evidence. These are the opposite of what is required for science.

    (*) I looked it up on Wikipedia. It starts by talking about the lack of a definition and then says, 'social scientists have defined spirituality as the search for "the sacred"' just to confirm that scientists acknowledge and research spirituality as a human phenomenon.
    Last edited by Strange; October 16th, 2013 at 04:26 AM.
    Lynx_Fox, KALSTER and babe like this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Spirituality is opposed to material or physical things simply by default, it is more in tune with mental or emotional communion.
    In the latter aspect (sciences of the mind), science may pay it some heed.
    However in the former aspects (physical sciences) they would pay it no heed whatsoever.

    You could say that science and spirituality are the search for truth. One being within the other without. As such there should be no real conflict between them.

    We all need to be one with ourselves on both sides, within and without.
    babe likes this.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
     

  17. #16  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Oh man, pavlos, that's almost spiritual.
    pavlos likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  18. #17  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,748
    I find spirituality on the beach, in the redwoods, on the rivers, on the golf course, in music, in theatre, in the arts as a whole. Is there science in each of them...yes to some degree. Each gives me peace, clarity, and humor, and in nature...awe.
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    I'm still trying to work out what you're all talking about...

    Spirituality?
    WTF?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  20. #19  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Based on the foregoing I am left wondering, not if spirituality exists, but if dictionaries exist. Strange's post #14 is required reading.
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I'm still trying to work out what you're all talking about...
    Things that make you go ... WTF
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  22. #21  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    but when experiments are done to 'test for the existence of the paranormal', and said experiments come back with some sort of result, we cant simply put it down to coincidence and wishful thinking.
    Citation needed. I haven't yet seen any such results that are at all convincing.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  23. #22  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    I find spirituality in mathematics more than in science, things like the "golden ratio" or fractals, things like that, that inspire a sense of wonderment.
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Anyone who's been anywhere near a night sky in the Australian outback knows that overwhelming sense of awestruck wonder. And there are similar kinds of amazing places all over the world. And then there are microscopes.
    The sense of awe we feel in these, and may other things, is internal to us; a result of the way our minds work. There is no evidence nor reason to think that they reflect something that exists "out there".

    Perhaps I'm a bit of a toughie, but I'd never call those experiences "spiritual".
    And that is part of the problem: different people will label or categorize the same experience differently. You (and I) might just find it awe-inspiring else; someone calls it a "spiritual" experience; and someone else thinks it is direct contact with their God.

    Again, this says more about the variety of human psychology than wider "reality".
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  24. #23  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I'm still trying to work out what you're all talking about...

    Spirituality?
    WTF?
    Yes there is such a thing...has nothing to do with religion has to do with your soul. I don't find religion having anything to do with my soul....or my "energy" or however you wish to place it. I do have a soul. It is the core of who I am. We all have a core. Sorry it isn't scientific It is within each of us. Gives us our moral core. Moral core isn't scientific...it is in us. Sir Ducky...even you have one....though....might be a struggle getting it out of you.
     

  25. #24  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I'm still trying to work out what you're all talking about...
    Spirituality?
    WTF?
    Yes there is such a thing...has nothing to do with religion has to do with your soul. I don't find religion having anything to do with my soul....or my "energy" or however you wish to place it. I do have a soul. It is the core of who I am. We all have a core. Sorry it isn't scientific It is within each of us. Gives us our moral core. Moral core isn't scientific...it is in us. Sir Ducky...even you have one....though....might be a struggle getting it out of you.
    My "moral core" is based on my beliefs (for want of a better word), and shaped by my experiences and knowledge.

    This "spirituality" thing... is it anything like a lemon-flavoured banana-shaped dolphin?
    So far they're both about as relevant as each other to me.
    seagypsy likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  26. #25  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,207
    'Spiritual' surely relates to the perceived world of spirits - invisible entities that influence the affairs of humans.
    For instance the desert night was believed to be full of spirits - both good and bad - in the imagination of nomads of ancient times.
    In that sense, science and spirituality are incompatible.
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    pavlos and babe like this.
     

  27. #26  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Awesome!
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  28. #27  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    I walked in on three of my friends having quite an interesting discussion this morning.
    By the way, are you Friend 1, Friend 2 or Friend 3?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  29. #28  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Awesome!
    How about breathtaking!
     

  30. #29  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    Being open minded, and without making personal attacks on anyone person, I want to see how you all think spirituality fits in with science...
    I don't believe it does. I have no problem with someone being religious and working within the sciences so long as their faith does not cloud their logic or corrupt their reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    but the fact is many people do believe spirituality has a place in science
    Show me the scientists who believe this. I guarantee you they will be outnumbered by those who believe science and religion mix like oil and water. In addition "many people" believe many things. That does not lend that idea credibility. "Many people" used to believe in Zeus and slavery and that women shouldn't vote and that drilling holes in skulls cured mental illness. As we grow, the many usually turn out to be the ignorant masses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    when experiments are done to 'test for the existence of the paranormal', and said experiments come back with some sort of result
    Maybe. How does that indicate the existence of the paranormal? If I believe ghosts are magnetic and I run a magnetometer over a piece of magnetite, that doesn't prove it's a frozen ghost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    After all, Science is about finding the answers
    No, it isn't. It's about ruling out the worst answers. In most observations of what could be considered paranormal or spiritual in nature, the existence of ghosts and angels ARE the worst possible explanation. Science is about setting aside those notions and finding what is more probable. In the end, that may or may not turn out to be the "answer", but is the best we could do with the technology at hand.

    A better explanation for spiritual experiences may lie in the neurosciences and a better explanation for ghosts...well, I have yet to see anything remotely convincing that a ghost exists.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Awesome!
    How about breathtaking!
    I like Magnificent or Wondrous. more so the latter.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
     

  32. #31  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I'm still trying to work out what you're all talking about...
    Spirituality?
    WTF?
    Yes there is such a thing...has nothing to do with religion has to do with your soul. I don't find religion having anything to do with my soul....or my "energy" or however you wish to place it. I do have a soul. It is the core of who I am. We all have a core. Sorry it isn't scientific It is within each of us. Gives us our moral core. Moral core isn't scientific...it is in us. Sir Ducky...even you have one....though....might be a struggle getting it out of you.
    My "moral core" is based on my beliefs (for want of a better word), and shaped by my experiences and knowledge.

    This "spirituality" thing... is it anything like a lemon-flavoured banana-shaped dolphin?
    So far they're both about as relevant as each other to me.
    why did you take the real explanation that DID explain and end it with that?

    You're last statement was unneeded. Your personal moral code DOES have a basis to your morality and your beliefs. We all have some element of spirituality. It is not shameful, nor does it rule us....Having a conscious is a form of spirituality , or self awareness or the broader aspect of things around us. Nothing wrong with that Sir Ducky
     

  33. #32  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,748
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Awesome!
    How about breathtaking!
    Sorry! LIFE IS BREATHTAKING Science is an awesome adventure
     

  34. #33  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,229
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Awesome!
    How about breathtaking!
    Sorry! LIFE IS BREATHTAKING Science is an awesome adventure
    If life did not include breathtaking, we'd suffocate.
    John Galt and babe like this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
     

  35. #34  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    why did you take the real explanation that DID explain and end it with that?
    Because I didn't see an explanation.

    Your personal moral code DOES have a basis to your morality and your beliefs.
    Is that not a tautology?

    We all have some element of spirituality.
    Do we?

    Having a conscious is a form of spirituality
    Please show that is so.

    Your previous post:I do have a soul. It is the core of who I am. We all have a core.[/quote]
    You mean a personality?
    Defining characteristics?
    I have no idea what you mean by "soul".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  36. #35  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,229
    "Soul" and "spirituality" has contexts both in theistic and non-theistic terms, in case that was not apparent yet.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
     

  37. #36  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Spirituality has **** all to do with religion under some definitions. Can you all just realise you are using spiritual in a wide variety of ways. Viewing this is ridiculous. You are all smart enough to know much better.
    KALSTER and babe like this.
     

  38. #37  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    We need a better word to describe the wonder of science.
    Is the term "Self-transcendence" already adopted by science so bad?

    I find it rather descriptive of the experience without the mumbo-jumbo superstitious overtones.
    pavlos likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
     

  39. #38  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    science accept spirituality in its own way... but spirituality cannot accept science...
     

  40. #39  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I have no idea what you mean by "soul".

    It is a music genre that is closely related to rhythm and blues, characterized by intensity of feeling and earthiness.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  41. #40  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
     

  42. #41  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.

    The existence of the Higgs Boson (which is used to strengthen the Standard Model) has been confirmed by CERN in March 2013.
    Hence the fact that Peter Higgs and François Englert received the Nobel Prize in Physics a few days ago.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  43. #42  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    science accept spirituality in its own way... but spirituality cannot accept science...
    I'm not so sure about that. We're as dismissive of religion as religion is of us. The two really are not compatible with one another in very many ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else.


    The Higgs particle is studied because there was something within Higgs field theory which explained why some fundamental particles have mass when they shouldn't. God does not fit such a niche. If you want to study spirituality, it must be on a scientific level (ie, psychology or neuroscience or cellular chemistry), but you cannot simply say that since we can't explain God, we must study him. We don't understand unicorns and leprechauns and we shouldn't dedicate scientific resources to that pursuit.

    Some things just belong outside the realm of scientific endeavor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
    Again, the two things are not equal. One represents a blank space in the field of physics, the other is nothing more than a collective imagining. We could dedicate scientific resources to studying art as well, but not if it is some wishy washy philosophical "why". Only if we are able to accept that God may be nothing more than a biological need for security in the face of the vast unknown. If you think science is going to find a big bearded guy hiding in the clouds, you're being silly.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  44. #43  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    The existence of the Higgs Boson (which is used to strengthen the Standard Model) has been confirmed by CERN in March 2013.
    Hence the fact that Peter Higgs and François Englert received the Nobel Prize in Physics a few days ago.
    Just as an aside, I'm not a crying kind of person, but when I watched Peter Higgs weep at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs boson, I had to dry my eyes. Much like with the Mars rover landing, I felt like I was really a part of something historical. Anyone who says science lacks emotion didn't stay up until 3 am with a cup of coffee to watch Curiosity plummet to the Red Planet.
    KALSTER and babe like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    IMHO spirituality contradicts known science.......so no compatibility with the two#
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    science accept spirituality in its own way... but spirituality cannot accept science...
    I'm not so sure about that. We're as dismissive of religion as religion is of us. The two really are not compatible with one another in very many ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else.


    The Higgs particle is studied because there was something within Higgs field theory which explained why some fundamental particles have mass when they shouldn't. God does not fit such a niche. If you want to study spirituality, it must be on a scientific level (ie, psychology or neuroscience or cellular chemistry), but you cannot simply say that since we can't explain God, we must study him. We don't understand unicorns and leprechauns and we shouldn't dedicate scientific resources to that pursuit.

    Some things just belong outside the realm of scientific endeavor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
    Again, the two things are not equal. One represents a blank space in the field of physics, the other is nothing more than a collective imagining. We could dedicate scientific resources to studying art as well, but not if it is some wishy washy philosophical "why". Only if we are able to accept that God may be nothing more than a biological need for security in the face of the vast unknown. If you think science is going to find a big bearded guy hiding in the clouds, you're being silly.
    You are mentioning god, but we are talking about spirit. Do you see them as the same?
     

  47. #46  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
    is already found...
     

  48. #47  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    The existence of the Higgs Boson (which is used to strengthen the Standard Model) has been confirmed by CERN in March 2013.
    Hence the fact that Peter Higgs and François Englert received the Nobel Prize in Physics a few days ago.
    Just as an aside, I'm not a crying kind of person, but when I watched Peter Higgs weep at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs boson, I had to dry my eyes. Much like with the Mars rover landing, I felt like I was really a part of something historical. Anyone who says science lacks emotion didn't stay up until 3 am with a cup of coffee to watch Curiosity plummet to the Red Planet.

    I can imagine that, when you have worked for more than 30 years on an idea that marks a revolution in modern physics and you see that they confirm your hypothesis as valid, then only emotions might express the satisfaction you feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    You are mentioning god, but we are talking about spirit. Do you see them as the same?

    According to Merriam-Webster, "spirit" is a synonym for the Christian God.
    "Spirit" is a word with so many meanings that it makes a debate quite difficult.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  49. #48  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    You are mentioning god, but we are talking about spirit. Do you see them as the same?
    That depends, are you going to start redefining words to fit your argument?

    God is referred to a the "holy spirit".
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    360
    There’s too much religious baggage tied to the word Spiritual, so I'd rather use the word amazeballs when I look up at the night sky
     

  51. #50  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
    is already found...
    Ok, I should have said Higgs Boson was not found, however the theory was pursued and they found it, (although not quite)that explains science. Why cannot the same principle be applied to everything else? Would that not be scientific? Spirit has been acknowledged by many people across the world.
     

  52. #51  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Higgs Boson is not known to science but studied to find its validity in the scheme of the big bang theory. Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon. I think room for study of everything in life is a given. Maybe when we find Higgs Boson we find spirituality. LOL.
    is already found...
    Ok, I should have said Higgs Boson was not found, however the theory was pursued and they found it, (although not quite)that explains science. Why cannot the same principle be applied to everything else? Would that not be scientific? Spirit has been acknowledged by many people across the world.
    I don't acknowledge spirit I just think its... in between the ears...
     

  53. #52  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirituality not known to science but should be studied much the same as anything else. Science is supposed to mean the study of phenomenon.
    And what do we study, exactly?
    Which part of Flick's post did you miss?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Again, the two things are not equal. One represents a blank space in the field of physics, the other is nothing more than a collective imagining.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Blackscorp
    I don't acknowledge spirit I just think its... in between the ears...
    At least you have found it, not a bad place to start a study.
     

  55. #54  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Why cannot the same principle be applied to everything else? Would that not be scientific? Spirit has been acknowledged by many people across the world.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    The same principle could be applied to other things if you can find some objective evidence.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  56. #55  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    And what do we study, exactly?
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
     

  57. #56  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
    And how do you suggest we detect, measure or otherwise observe this thing?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  58. #57  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Why cannot the same principle be applied to everything else? Would that not be scientific? Spirit has been acknowledged by many people across the world.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    The same principle could be applied to other things if you can find some objective evidence.
    Lots of people are saying there is more to the human than just physical, thats a good place to start, maybe they are right, maybe not. I would like to think that scientifically we could search and find or not find.
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    how can one help with something useful,when one does not even understand what a spirit is. that the situation of someppl here.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
     

  60. #59  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
    And how do you suggest we detect, measure or otherwise observe this thing?
    With minds like yours and others.
     

  61. #60  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    how can one help with something useful,when one does not even understand what a spirit is. that the situation of someppl here.
    We did it with antimatter, Higgs Boson, Black Holes, Atoms. humans are flexable.
     

  62. #61  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,
    Science should come up with a theory
    Pardon?
    Theory: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] Scientists create scientific theories from hypotheses that have been corroborated through the scientific method, then gather evidence to test their accuracy.

    "Spirit" is NOT well-substantiated.
    "Spirit" has NOT been repeatedly confirmed (has it been conformed at all?).
    "Spirit" has NOT been observed.
    "Spirit" has NOT been shown to be available for experimentation.
    What evidence do we have for "spirit"?

    is spirit a particle?
    We have zero evidence for spirit; that makes it somewhat premature on deciding whether or not it's a particle.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  63. #62  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
    And how do you suggest we detect, measure or otherwise observe this thing?
    With minds like yours and others.
    That is not good enough. Science relies on objective data and testable, i.e. quantitative, predictions. How do you get that from "minds like yours"? What, exactly, do you propose to measure? And how?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  64. #63  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,
    Science should come up with a theory
    Pardon?
    Theory: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] Scientists create scientific theories from hypotheses that have been corroborated through the scientific method, then gather evidence to test their accuracy.

    "Spirit" is NOT well-substantiated.
    "Spirit" has NOT been repeatedly confirmed (has it been conformed at all?).
    "Spirit" has NOT been observed.
    "Spirit" has NOT been shown to be available for experimentation.
    What evidence do we have for "spirit"?

    is spirit a particle?
    We have zero evidence for spirit; that makes it somewhat premature on deciding whether or not it's a particle.
    Science is not stagnated or rigid, it is flexable. The argument for spirit is worth a scientific study.
     

  65. #64  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Science is not stagnated or rigid, it is flexable.
    Science is a methodology: it studies what can be studied.

    The argument for spirit is worth a scientific study.
    I'll try a simpler tack: what is there to be studied?
    We have ZERO EVIDENCE of "spirit".
    There is nothing that can be studied.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  66. #65  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    The argument for spirit is worth a scientific study.
    Then provide some evidence suitable for scientific study.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  67. #66  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Lots of people give experiences of spirit, yet we cannot see it, the Russians have, so they say, invented a machine to see some sort of matter when a person is dying. Animals have given signals when a person is dying, I think there is a lot for science to start with.
     

  68. #67  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Lots of people give experiences of spirit, yet we cannot see it,
    How will you make objective measurements to confirm or refute these sightings?

    the Russians have, so they say, invented a machine to see some sort of matter when a person is dying.
    Citation needed.

    Animals have given signals when a person is dying
    Citation needed.

    I think there is a lot for science to start with.
    You haven't done a very good job of showing it so far. A few unsubstantiated tales.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    The argument for spirit is worth a scientific study.
    Then provide some evidence suitable for scientific study.
    Maybe we could start with the human body and see where it leads since that is where this phenomenon seems to find its origin.
     

  70. #69  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Maybe we could start with the human body and see where it leads since that is where this phenomenon seems to find its origin.
    <sigh>

    What about the human body? We already have a huge amount of data about the human body. It has been measured, weighed, scanned, chemically analysed, dissected, tested and examined. No sign of "spirit".

    What do you suggest? And, please, no more similar vague statements. If you cannot specify one single objective measurement that could be made, then just drop the subject. You are wasting everyone's time and embarrassing yourself.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  71. #70  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Lots of people give experiences of spirit
    "Data" is not a plural of "anecdote".

    yet we cannot see it, the Russians have, so they say, invented a machine to see some sort of matter when a person is dying
    A device which not been shown (let alone "proved") to have any science behind it.

    I think there is a lot for science to start with.
    In which case you don't know much.
    babe and Cogito Ergo Sum like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  72. #71  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Maybe we could start with the human body and see where it leads since that is where this phenomenon seems to find its origin.
    <sigh>

    What about the human body? We already have a huge amount of data about the human body. It has been measured, weighed, scanned, chemically analysed, dissected, tested and examined. No sign of "spirit".

    What do you suggest? And, please, no more similar vague statements. If you cannot specify one single objective measurement that could be made, then just drop the subject. You are wasting everyone's time and embarrassing yourself.
    How do we measure the spirit in alcohol? I think the alcohol is embeded in the fruit is it not so?
     

  73. #72  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Maybe we could start with the human body and see where it leads since that is where this phenomenon seems to find its origin.
    <sigh>

    What about the human body? We already have a huge amount of data about the human body. It has been measured, weighed, scanned, chemically analysed, dissected, tested and examined. No sign of "spirit".

    What do you suggest? And, please, no more similar vague statements. If you cannot specify one single objective measurement that could be made, then just drop the subject. You are wasting everyone's time and embarrassing yourself.
    How do we measure the spirit in alcohol? I think the alcohol is embeded in the fruit is it not so?
    Stargate, are you trolling? How old are you if I may ask?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
     

  74. #73  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    How do we measure the spirit in alcohol?
    I really hope you're trying to be funny.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  75. #74  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    How do we measure the spirit in alcohol?
    Alcohol is sometimes referred to as "spirit". The concentration can be measured in a variety of ways, giving more or less precise quantitative answers.

    I think the alcohol is embeded in the fruit is it not so?
    No.

    How is any of this relevant?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    i would want to believe that the moment a spirit is studied then its no longer a spirit. spirituality should maintain its boundaries....that is if there is.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
     

  77. #76  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    How do we measure the spirit in alcohol?
    Alcohol is sometimes referred to as "spirit". The concentration can be measured in a variety of ways, giving more or less precise quantitative answers.

    I think the alcohol is embeded in the fruit is it not so?
    No.

    How is any of this relevant?
    All I am really saying is there is a place for everything, known and unknown, scientific and spiritual, seen and unseen. I just do not see anything going one way.
     

  78. #77  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,116
    Okay, so let's talk about vaguely defined concept X, with its plethora of variant supposed meanings. Is it curved, or edged? Maybe both? What color is it? does it make a noise?
    The other day my mechanic told me I had blown a seal. I said "Hey, leave my personal life out of this!"
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
     

  79. #78  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    All I am really saying is there is a place for everything, known and unknown, scientific and spiritual, seen and unseen.
    Maybe. But science only deals with things that can be measured objectively. Your "spirit" does not seem amenable to that.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  80. #79  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    All I am really saying is there is a place for everything, known and unknown, scientific and spiritual, seen and unseen. I just do not see anything going one way.
    And what's the proper place for fictional?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  81. #80  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    All I am really saying is there is a place for everything, known and unknown, scientific and spiritual, seen and unseen.
    Maybe. But science only deals with things that can be measured objectively. Your "spirit" does not seem amenable to that.
    I am not trying to convince you, I know I think optimally because I believe in science and I belive in spirit. There is room for you and there is room for me.
     

  82. #81  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    All I am really saying is there is a place for everything, known and unknown, scientific and spiritual, seen and unseen.
    Maybe. But science only deals with things that can be measured objectively. Your "spirit" does not seem amenable to that.
    I am not trying to convince you, I know I think optimally because I believe in science and I belive in spirit. There is room for you and there is room for me.

    One should not believe science.
    One should understand science.
    Strange likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
     

  83. #82  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    i would want to believe that the moment a spirit is studied then its no longer a spirit. spirituality should maintain its boundaries....that is if there is.
    LOL. I too have problems with the root word "spirit," in the very word and am tempted to dismiss it out of hand for that reason.
    --

    I found a researcher Elain Howard Ecklund (last name taken with marriage another topic about burdens of women) who's studied some of the questions about spirituality in scientist:

    I'll post a few tidbits from a paper done in 2007 after several years of surveys 1600+ and more targeted interviews with 275 scientist working in University level across many disciplines:

    -"over 60 percent of professors in these natural and social science disciplines describe themselves as either atheist or religiously agnostic."
    -"About 52 percent of scientists see themselves as having no religious affiliation"
    -"Scientists who are not religious justify their inattention to religion through language that stresses the irrelevance of science to religion. Those not raised in religious homes, the case for the majority of scientists without religious affiliation, also emphasize their lack of experience with religion."

    Here's the neat part:
    "When asked “to what extent do you consider yourself a spiritual person?” about 66 percent of the natural scientists and about 69 percent of the social scientists describe themselves as spiritual.This means there is a population of scientists who say they have no religious affiliation but who do see spirituality as important. Indeed, about 39 percent of those without a current religious affiliation still consider themselves spiritual. In addition, over 22 percent of the scientists who are atheists are spiritual. And over 27 percent of the scientists who are agnostic are spiritual."

    (guess I'm in that spiritual atheist group)

    "And what did these respondents mean by spirituality? Analyses of the in-depth interviews reveal definitions that vary from “a vague feeling that there is something outside myself” to “a deep andcompelling, other-centered worldview that directs how research and interactions with students are conducted.” Definitions of “religion” and “spirituality” are not benign constructs for this population. Among university scientists such distinctions often carry a moral weight. For example, one chemistry professor describes having “the feeling that [religion] doesn't really work in that it ends up being a mechanism by which people's thoughts and lives are controlled or meant to be controlled.” This same professor, when asked to compare religion and spirituality, says that spirituality is “more flexible and personal, and a lot less judgmental. In fact, she explains, “[W]hen I think of a spiritual person, the word ‘judgment’ doesn't even pop into my mind.” For many of those who consider themselves spiritual, spirituality means simply having a larger purpose or meaning that transcends daily concerns. For many of the natural scientists, in particular, knowledge of the spiritual comes directly from their work. For example, according to one physicist

    'When I travel to observatories...and when I finally just have enough time to try to
    think of my place in the world and the universe and its vastness, it’s then that I feel the connection to the world more than I do, say, sitting here in my office. And so that for me, that’s the closest I can come to a spiritual experience.'

    This excerpt and the many others like it show that, for some scientists, rather than science replacing religion, spirituality may be replacing religion."


    Her conclusions:
    "1) Scientists are not very religious compared to the general public, although a significant minority is religious.
    2) Scientists are surprisingly interested in spirituality.
    3) While most are ambivalent about discussing religion in academic settings, a significant minority is seeking resources to engage students about religion.
    4) University scientists who do view religion or spirituality as important are beginning to play a crucial role in mediating dialogue between the scientific community and the broader American public."

    She has other work but this was the only complete paper I've found so far (argg....sh fk sh...paywalls....).

    http://religion.ssrc.org/reforum/Ecklund.pdf
    pavlos likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
     

  84. #83  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
    And how do you suggest we detect, measure or otherwise observe this thing?
    With minds like yours and others.
    About the only way you can show any evidence of an actual human spirit that exists on it's own you would need to find a way to get a human consciousness to exist outside of a human body. Like maybe transferring this "soul" or "spirit" to a robot and killing the human body it came from. Can we start by looking for yours?
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
     

  85. #84  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I know I think optimally
    Arrant nonsense.

    because I believe in science
    But you don't know much about it.

    and I belive in spirit
    In other words you don't "believe" in science.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  86. #85  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    I consider "spirituality" to be whatever gives you a warm, glowy feeling behind your stomach when you contemplate, well, stuff.

    Whether that stuff is the mythology of whatever religious belief you follow, or the beauty of an aurora in the northern or southern sky, or even just appreciating certain works of art or the mysteries of science on the supermacroscopic or ultramicroscopic scale (are they even words?)
     

  87. #86  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I am not trying to convince you
    I didn't think you were. You were saying that science should be applied to "spirit"; I was just asking you to clarify how that could be done.

    I know I think optimally
    The evidence suggest otherwise.

    because I believe in science
    What is "belief in science"?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
     

  88. #87  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I know I think optimally
    Strange likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  89. #88  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    LYNX
    I find your post very interesting, why, because I am not religious at all but I am spiritual, and yes spirituality may be replacing religion.
     

  90. #89  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I am not trying to convince you
    I didn't think you were. You were saying that science should be applied to "spirit"; I was just asking you to clarify how that could be done.

    I know I think optimally
    The evidence suggest otherwise.

    because I believe in science
    What is "belief in science"?
    Some of it I believe, and some of it I know, just the same with spirit. Just because science has not confronted it as yet does not mean it will not be done in the future.
    The worst thing that can happen to mankind is if they close the mind.
     

  91. #90  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I know I think optimally
    This one is easy, don't agree and you still could be wrong.
     

  92. #91  
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    I know I think optimally
    This one is easy, don't agree and you still could be wrong.
    No that would still only be if he agreed.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
     

  93. #92  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    This one is easy, don't agree and you still could be wrong.
    Except that I'm not.
    Not only do you not think "optimally" you have shown a proclivity to not think rationally.

    Case in point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Some of it I believe, and some of it I know, just the same with spirit.
    You don't know about "spirit".

    Just because science has not confronted it as yet does not mean it will not be done in the future.
    Since there is no evidence to investigate science is hardly likely to look at it.
    Or maybe you "think" that, after a few millennia of claims and zero evidence some will miraculously appear.

    The worst thing that can happen to mankind is if they close the mind.
    Who's closing their mind?
    That wouldn't be an assumption on your part, would it?

    You have been asked repeatedly what evidence there is and what science could investigate, you have repeatedly failed to offer anything but generalisations and empty claims.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  94. #93  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Spirit,

    Science should come up with a theory and look for it the same way they did with Higgs Boson. is spirit a particle?
    And how do you suggest we detect, measure or otherwise observe this thing?
    With minds like yours and others.
    About the only way you can show any evidence of an actual human spirit that exists on it's own you would need to find a way to get a human consciousness to exist outside of a human body. Like maybe transferring this "soul" or "spirit" to a robot and killing the human body it came from. Can we start by looking for yours?
    About the only way you can show any evidence of an actual human spirit that exists on it's own
    Do you know that there is a woman that died but her blood keep growing outside of her body? I think her name is Henrietta Laxa. Do you know that every, or almost every vaccine that is created uses her blood to experiment?
    I have noticed you use the term "soul" and "spirit" in the same context; it makes me think it doesn’t have a meaning for you, am I right?
    The human spirit does not exist by itself; it lives in a human body, at least mine does.
    Is subjective consciousness the same as objective consciousness? You seem to link them, I may be misunderstanding you.
     

  95. #94  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Do you know that there is a woman that died but her blood keep growing outside of her body? I think her name is Henrietta Laxa. Do you know that every, or almost every vaccine that is created uses her blood to experiment?

    This is yet another typically sloppy appeal-to-the-woo post from you.
    1) The woman's name was Henrietta Lacks.
    2) It's not her blood, it's cells from a cancerous tumour.
    3) "It keeps growing". This is because
    [t]hey could be kept alive and grown - this implies that they don't simply do it on their own, but require assistance.

    The human spirit does not exist by itself; it lives in a human body, at least mine does.
    So what, exactly, is the "human spirit"?
    If you mean our intellect, emotions, fears, passions, and creativity, then it's a tautology.
    If that's not what you mean then what are you talking about and what evidence do you have for it (again)?
    You keep making claims, but that's all you do.
    seagypsy likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  96. #95  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    85
    Okay, so some of you have made a lot of interesting points, others, I'm afraid, seem to be both closed minded and arrogant. Dywyddyr, I'm looking at you. You presume to know that Stargate's speculations have no merit. But how can you know? Just because you cant prove a spirit exists, doesn't mean it cant. Unless you CAN prove that there isnt such thing? because id love to hear it. The fact of the matter is, science has experimented within the spiritual realm, and there have been results. STRANGE, You asked for some kind of basis for science to investigate spirituality, something tangible, which is a most reasonable request. The fact is, for a spirit to be scientifically proven, science would have to broaden its views. Until quantum physics, science has not dared to look at things that could not be tested without the five senses, but that doesn't mean there's nothing there. If a spirit exists, we can already say with a fair bit of certainty that its not going to be some organ in your body. So it would have to be connected to something outside "our world" (the world we perceive with the five senses). The spirit, if it exists in most of the ways people seem to think it does, would influence our world in some way. I was reading a few posts back about some kind of machine the Russians supposedly used to see certain 'effects' after a person dies. Well, your eyes, or a video camera, will do. If you have seen something die, or put it on camera (as in my case, a rat on a night vision camera at three in the morning, be caught and killed in a mouse trap), you may be in the right situation to be lucky enough to literally see 'the light leave there eyes'. I'm talking about an actual light source. Now, I'm not expecting everyone to believe this story, its a 'you really have to be there' kind of moment, but that's an example. experiments could be done to see if a soul really does leave the body. How about visions, where people literally predict an event before it happens, and have a habit of doing so? couldn't we accompany someone who has such gifts, record there visions, and see the outcome? That's just two possibilities. The options are many, to be sure. "Science is a religion, and unfortunately its followers can sometimes be just as dogmatic"
     

  97. #96  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    others, I'm afraid, seem to be both closed minded and arrogant. Dywyddyr, I'm looking at you.
    Yeah?

    You presume to know that Stargate's speculations have no merit.
    Ah, I presume to know do I?:
    Is that why I have persistently asked for evidence from Stargate?

    Just because you cant prove a spirit exists, doesn't mean it cant. Unless you CAN prove that there isnt such thing?
    Oh, assumptions again.
    Why should we consider something UNLESS there is evidence for it?
    How would science investigate something which isn't available for study?
    Have I stated that spirit doesn't exist? Anywhere? Or have I asked?

    The fact of the matter is, science has experimented within the spiritual realm, and there have been results.
    Really?
    Links please.

    IOW stop making false accusations and post something with substance.

    PS: clue to most of the above - I've asked. (And f*ck all has been forthcoming except for unsubstantiated claims).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

  98. #97  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Pratt View Post
    Unless you CAN prove that there isnt such thing?
    Science does not prove negatives. If it did, it would be religion. The only way you can accept the crap you call evidence for a spirit or soul is if you completely destroy science as we know it and make it something that accepts delusion as evidence. But we already have something that does that, its called religion.
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
     

  99. #98  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Lewis pratt

    As I mentioned before your type of mind is the mind I am speaking about, "open" as opposed to a static mind. Man I love the way you approach the discussion. I can assure you there are lots of people with open minds, I am so glad you have the vision. Science is science; it can go in any direction it is willing to go. We humans on the other hand can only begin with ourselves as a starting point.
    Lewis Pratt likes this.
     

  100. #99  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Lewis pratt

    As I mentioned before your type of mind is the mind I am speaking about, "open" as opposed to a static mind. Man I love the way you approach the discussion. I can assure you there are lots of people with open minds, I am so glad you have the vision. Science is science; it can go in any direction it is willing to go. We humans on the other hand can only begin with ourselves as a starting point.
    Science is a method. Science is static. By your standard, if you think science, a static method can go in any direction it wants, as if it is a living thing, perhaps math can too and if we get really open minded 2+2 will equal 79.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
     

  101. #100  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Science ... can go in any direction it is willing to go.

    Repeated bullshit.
    You have already been informed why this is incorrect.

    We humans on the other hand can only begin with ourselves as a starting point.
    Whut?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Room for Another Sub-Forum?
    By jimmythesaint in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 01:32 PM
  2. Room Temperature
    By Jia in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
  3. Science; Room for concern
    By TheCuriousOne in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
  4. Science Video Chat Room
    By blue_cristal in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
  5. Chat room
    By Tess in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •