Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Satanism

  1. #1 Satanism 
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    just wondered what everyones views on satanism are? Are they still mis-guided as murderous cults and sacrifices etc

    In recent years ive been reading bits here and there in different magazines etc and the basics of it is common sense( dont get me wrong theres some nutty bits in there too)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism


    dont get me wrong its another religion, so not for me but i wondered if its had the unfair and bad press in the past and thats tainted peoples views of it and now its seen as some evil cult, were as it seems like an old ancient pagan thing thats not what hollywood has turned it into


    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 from my experience 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    32
    Alot of people that I know which are some of the people that say they are satanists are depreived from attention from their christain parents and find this as a way to break out and rebel.

    Anyway alot it can be mis-interuptation as you have touched upon. Alot of Wiccan and Pagan people who are mostly completly peaceful have be called satanists because they worship something other then the one god.

    Religion is a very touchy subject and I rarely veer into these types of subjects but I have a good knowledge of pagan and wiccan rituals ect. So I felt my opinions may be of somewhat value in this perticular topic.

    I have comments hissed to me calling me a satanist because I dress in black. So alot of the publics veiws are created by fear and the fact that they have no idea about it.

    but I'm not saying I'm ether for or against satanists, because as their whole religion my knowledge is limited. I know only what I have experienced personally.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: from my experience 
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanting_lullabye
    Alot of people that I know which are some of the people that say they are satanists are depreived from attention from their christain parents and find this as a way to break out and rebel.

    Anyway alot it can be mis-interuptation as you have touched upon. Alot of Wiccan and Pagan people who are mostly completly peaceful have be called satanists because they worship something other then the one god.

    Religion is a very touchy subject and I rarely veer into these types of subjects but I have a good knowledge of pagan and wiccan rituals ect. So I felt my opinions may be of somewhat value in this perticular topic.

    I have comments hissed to me calling me a satanist because I dress in black. So alot of the publics veiws are created by fear and the fact that they have no idea about it.

    but I'm not saying I'm ether for or against satanists, because as their whole religion my knowledge is limited. I know only what I have experienced personally.

    yeah, i just wondered if the whole satanism as well as modern witchcraft thing still has the old stereotypes attached to what seems like quite a harmless(well as harmless as religion is)way of life

    I know a few christian types who see santanists as being like charles manson types, pure evil people who go out of the way to harm, when ive never seen/heard of this happening atleast in the last century if not longer, with the exception of a few nutbags
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    I think mostly they keep themselves to themselvs, I don't think that 'satanist' wars comes to mind as often as 'religious wars'.
    Mostly they are as harmless as religious people, mostly harmless but a few fanatics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16
    There are many kinds of satanists. There are symbolic satanists (LaVeyan satanists for example) and there are theistic/traditional satanists. Symbolic satanists are all or almost all peaceful. Some of them do rituals but they don't sacrifice people or even animals. Maybe some do but mostly not. There are many kinds of theistic satanists. Some of them practice satanism alone and are quite peaceful. They believe in satan and ask him for things and worship him. There are also those evil and crazy satanists. If someone leaves the coven the others are obligated to kill that traitor. Those satanists use drugs and women are sexually abused in their meetings. They usually become menthally sick and many commits suicide.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    320
    satanists=werid :?

    if im right, satan disrespects god so why worship him? not cool...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior Artemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    297
    Satan stands for bad luck, disease, betrayal and what ever else a human dislikes. God is just the most opposite, the good, and I think He stands for control. Some people believe Satanists are those who do not follow God, but personally I think they are people who try to control everything in life, the things Satan stands symbol for. They try to control and understand the things that make you feel sad/happy, sick etc. Not on the scientific, but the psychological way. This makes it look like a religion because almost every religion has only a psychological effect on humans.
    Student Neurobiology
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 a matter of opinion 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    32
    Religion is a matter of preception, so alot of is to do with how the individuals mind works.

    There are many kinds of satanists. There are symbolic satanists (LaVeyan satanists for example) and there are theistic/traditional satanists. Symbolic satanists are all or almost all peaceful. Some of them do rituals but they don't sacrifice people or even animals. Maybe some do but mostly not. There are many kinds of theistic satanists. Some of them practice satanism alone and are quite peaceful. They believe in satan and ask him for things and worship him. There are also those evil and crazy satanists. If someone leaves the coven the others are obligated to kill that traitor. Those satanists use drugs and women are sexually abused in their meetings. They usually become menthally sick and many commits suicide.
    Its a shame that you only ever hear about the "evil and crazy ones". As I said before its all a matter of opinion. They proberly don't see themselves as evil. How many religions tell the practicers their evil for doing so? I doubt many would. It just wouldn;t work.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: a matter of opinion 
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanting_lullabye
    Religion is a matter of preception, so alot of is to do with how the individuals mind works.

    There are many kinds of satanists. There are symbolic satanists (LaVeyan satanists for example) and there are theistic/traditional satanists. Symbolic satanists are all or almost all peaceful. Some of them do rituals but they don't sacrifice people or even animals. Maybe some do but mostly not. There are many kinds of theistic satanists. Some of them practice satanism alone and are quite peaceful. They believe in satan and ask him for things and worship him. There are also those evil and crazy satanists. If someone leaves the coven the others are obligated to kill that traitor. Those satanists use drugs and women are sexually abused in their meetings. They usually become menthally sick and many commits suicide.
    Its a shame that you only ever hear about the "evil and crazy ones". As I said before its all a matter of opinion. They proberly don't see themselves as evil. How many religions tell the practicers their evil for doing so? I doubt many would. It just wouldn;t work.

    yeah i agree, they dont see the 7deadly sins as a big deal. Which i guarantee nobody of here sticks to these 100% and i think they are mostly natural instincts

    Its like anything any of the 7 deadly sins to a large degree is bad, but small amounts are unavoidable

    Most people commit these sins along with The Seven Virtues quite happily in every day life
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 ^.^ 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    32
    :wink: some of the things concidered a crime then, are not so servere breakage of laws now. humanity is focused on more iminant problems..like the destruction of the world..and each other..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: a matter of opinion 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanting_lullabye
    They proberly don't see themselves as evil.
    Some of them do. And many see themselves as evil in other peoples' opinion. If they do things that are concidered evil, they are evil. Anton LaVey has said "Evil they name us, evil we are - why not take advantage of it and live!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman llantas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    42
    LaVeyan Satanists (generally disregarding satanic cults) are athiests. Anton LaVey established his views under the name "Satanism" for a couple of main reasons:

    - Anton veiws the word satan, not as a personification of evil, but more like "the adversary". He would say that every person joining his religion is a satan, because as athiests, they speak out against God.

    - Satanism is a term that is almost offensive to a lot of people. It separates them (satanists) from those with closed minds by the very stating of it. Not to mention it expresses a certain theatrical value that Anton LaVey weaved into many aspects of satanism.


    If satanists are athiests, why do they bother to preform rituals?

    - Satanic rituals hold no religious value. Anton LaVey invented these rituals solely to mock those of the church, and for his (and other satanists') amusement. It is absolutely not required for a satanist to be involved in any ritual, or have anything to do with the church in order to be considered a satanist.



    I feel like there is one more thing I should mention about satanism and that is thier system of morals. Satanists are very individualistic and believe that it is a sin to be a burden on other people. They are also of the belief that people were not all born equal. A satanist would not say "Treat others as you would like to be treated" but rather "Treat others as they deserve to be treated". The first sin of satanism is stupidity.
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen F Roberts

    http://godisimaginary.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by llantas
    A satanist would not say "Treat others as you would like to be treated" but rather "Treat others as they deserve to be treated". The first sin of satanism is stupidity.
    of course this can never be truly achieved in the real world, instead it becomes

    "Treat others as you deem them as deserving to be treated"

    No human can completley 100% and without error correctly judge the intent of those around him.

    An analagy. I am of Polynesian Genetic decent (Pacific Islands) yet many people think that I am either Greek or Slavic in descent. That was untill the current paranoia about Islam post 9/11 and especially during some anti-arab/islamic riots in my region. During the riots I was hit a number of times and yelled at since they hate Arabs. Apparently Polynesians can look arab between 5pm and 10pm during a race riot, Especially if said polynesian is sporting facial hair.

    My crime? Having olive skin, a large build and facial hair... and walking down the road to a store approximatley 1300 metres down the road to buy milk, pasta and a bottle of sauce at 5:30pm after I got home from work.
    My Punishment? A black eye and cut lip, plus some eggs thrown at me and loud abuse suggesting that I "Go Home".

    Incidently the very next day my car was set apon by Islamic/Arabic (mostly lebanise) individuals during "Reprisal attacks"
    It seems that I am in the strange position of being able to be attacked for being both Arabic looking and for being Not Arabic looking enough on consecutive days.

    I digress...

    the Satanist moral system often seems to teeter on the edge of discriminatory behaviours without any clearly defined systems to avoid discrimination.

    I find it also strange that the Satanist seems to hang onto the Christian Mythology in a reverse sense, without simply rejecting the mythology as a construct of ancient humans and human culture, divorced from scientificly verifiable 'reality'. Yes there is the legitimate arguement that science doesn't know everything, and it does not claim to, however as I see it, scientific athiests see science as a rough discription of human understanding of the real physical world.

    Science-based Atheism seems to do alot of good in the world, it generally gives us technology, warns of environment issues, and takes time to explain the way the physical universe works. It can also work toward rejecting racism, learning about the human animal and physical presence, and remove the concept of God-Given mandates clarifying issues of morality in regards to human rights, social justice and so on by making them issues of right and wrong instead of punishment and reward.

    At this stage the only thing I'v seen Satanism do is ridicule christian religion while still remaining within the mythological construct of the God-centred creationist universe, merely asking "which one of these (mythological) beings is the good guy" instead of "does this universe actually fit with what we know about the physical universe" The system still seems based in punishment and reward, and not human-environment centric morality.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •