Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By icewendigo

Thread: Mayans and 2012.

  1. #1 Mayans and 2012. 
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,018
    What do the Mayans and other peoples say about 2012. Is it a date of change?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,151
    Heres the story of the mayan calendar:
    ~ The mayan calendar guy made a calendar for the year. Another mayan said "you might as well make it for two years"
    "
    Sure, why not" said the Calendar guy. When he was done the other guy came by and said "hey, why not spend some more time on it and make 3 years, three's a charm"
    "
    Well, ok" said the calendar guy. So this went on, 'lucky seven', 'might as well have a dozen', 'lets make it a baker's dozen', 'you cant have 13 its unlucky better make it 14 years', etc till the calendar guy had made 100 years worth of calendar, which he would never ever even get to in his life time saying "enough is enough!".
    But the other guy came around and said "
    Hey, but if your calendar stops in 100 years, people will say its going to be the end of the world because the calendar ends!"
    So the calendar guy cursed and said I'll add another 100 years. Days and days later, the same thing occured, and the calendar was made for centuries until
    the calendar guy reached our year 2012 then the other guy came and said "
    Hey but you cant stop here either because in the far future, when both of us will have been dead for centuries, people will think its the end of the world because the calendar stops!"
    So the calendar guy said "
    Scr#w that!!!" and kicked the other guy in the b@lls and went home. The End. ~


    John Galt and brody like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    What do the Mayans and other peoples say about 2012. Is it a date of change?
    They say nothing about it. Go ask the Mayans and they will just look baffled.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    What do the Mayans and other peoples say about 2012. Is it a date of change?
    They say nothing about it. Go ask the Mayans and they will just look baffled.
    So it is all just peoples interpretation of the ancient language and ancient calendar?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo View Post
    Heres the story of the mayan calendar:
    ~ The mayan calendar guy made a calendar for the year. Another mayan said "you might as well make it for two years"
    "
    Sure, why not" said the Calendar guy. When he was done the other guy came by and said "hey, why not spend some more time on it and make 3 years, three's a charm"
    "
    Well, ok" said the calendar guy. So this went on, 'lucky seven', 'might as well have a dozen', 'lets make it a baker's dozen', 'you cant have 13 its unlucky better make it 14 years', etc till the calendar guy had made 100 years worth of calendar, which he would never ever even get to in his life time saying "enough is enough!".
    But the other guy came around and said "
    Hey, but if your calendar stops in 100 years, people will say its going to be the end of the world because the calendar ends!"
    So the calendar guy cursed and said I'll add another 100 years. Days and days later, the same thing occured, and the calendar was made for centuries until
    the calendar guy reached our year 2012 then the other guy came and said "
    Hey but you cant stop here either because in the far future, when both of us will have been dead for centuries, people will think its the end of the world because the calendar stops!"
    So the calendar guy said "
    Scr#w that!!!" and kicked the other guy in the b@lls and went home. The End. ~
    Good story.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,018
    I think the Vedic calendar end on 2012 then starts a new cycle. To some it is an end to others a beginning. Is that true?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Please stop dragging this idiocy here to the science forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    The Mayan calendar is completely irrelevent to everyone except the Ancient Mayan Civilization. How do we know that 1996 wasn't the Mayans' 2012? We don't. How do we know that it was meant to represent a new era? We don't. How do we know it is meant to represent the end of the world? We don't. How do we know it wasn't just an artistic calender? We don't... Get the picture?
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Our calendar ends every year, decade, century, millenium... The 'end' of [only one version of] the Mayan calendar is pretty much the same, only the Mayan calendar doesn't record years in base ten like we do.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    856
    I remember this stuff from a History channel show, and researching for a friend of mine that was into the 2012 stuff.

    I (think) that scientists that actually understand the Mayan calander, do (not) think it speaks of the end of Earth, or bad things happening.

    I think that the scientists who actually understand the calander, think that the Mayans would think, that the calander would just start over, after it ends.

    The end of the Mayan calander, would be like our calander change from 2011 to 2012, its just that the Mayan calander is (much) longer than ours.

    I believe all this talk of change, was caused by one American book auther that wrote 2 books about the Mayans.

    While writing his 2nd Mayan book, he was taking a LSD like South American substance, with South Americans. During his LSD like drug (highs), he personally came up with all the Mayan ideas that have been going around.


    At this moment, I feel kinda high myself (from stress and over-working) So I am not 100% sure everything I have writen here is correct (but I think it is?)


    Any way the above is interesting, in the way religous ideas, come into society and culture.

    It makes me think about all the doomsday (end of the world groups), that have risen up during the last couple hundred years.


    In the case of the Mayan doomsday groups, its posible all of this 2012 talk came about from, 1 person taking drugs and having end of the world dreams,
    he then wrote a book about it, and then groups in American society began talking about 2012. The auther was kinda like the doomsday believers religous profit. And maybe it works the same with Old Test. profits, and other religion groups.

    Maybe religous groups/cults are created by one person, and there are people waiting around them, to start speading their beliefs.

    Maybe religous ideas, are put out, and spread around society, just like regular infomation or gosip. (its just talk of super natural stuff.)


    And the people who believe and spread this info. are a specialized segament of society, that is just waiting to do this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    How do we know that 1996 wasn't the Mayans' 2012? We don't.
    We do know. Calendars aren't arbitrary counting tools, but based on predictable astronomical observations. The Mayans were the greatest naked eye astronomers of the ancient world, able to predict eclipses and account for the 365.25 day discrepency, something the Romans had trouble doing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    276
    The Mayan Calendar? Oh, you mean the same one that says that the world was created 5000 years ago? The same one created by a barbaric civilization that couldn't predict its own end by the arrival of the Spanish? The same one that defies any evidence contributed by a much more advanced society millennia later?

    That same one that ends its 13th cycle on December 21 2012? And ended its 12th in 1618? I'm pretty sure nothing happened in 1618... And the only thing special about the numbers 1-6-1-8 is that 1.618 appromixates the Golden Ratio... which is just a ratio, whose numerical digits are irrelavent accross different base number systems.

    Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just an over hyped speculation that's used to sell books. It wrongly turned an old peoples' calendar into a death sentence for the world.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    276
    Not to mention, used in the film 2012, which I found pretty entertaining. :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    The Mayan Calendar? Oh, you mean the same one that says that the world was created 5000 years ago?
    Is that true? And even if it is: so what if they had a creation myth like that; it didn't stop them producing an accurate calendar.

    The same one created by a barbaric civilization
    I'm sure modern Mayans would find that rather offensive.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    I'm sure modern Mayans would find that rather offensive.
    Indeed. Since searching young women for "witch pearls," than burning them to death in front of huge mobs was so much more civilized than what the Mayans were doing.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    The Mayan Calendar? Oh, you mean the same one that says that the world was created 5000 years ago?
    Is that true? And even if it is: so what if they had a creation myth like that; it didn't stop them producing an accurate calendar.
    Well, the fact is that the Mayans couldn't have predicted such an event based on astronomical observation (centuries ago!), while we on the other hand (with our much more advanced technology) have no real evidence for something only months away.

    So the accuracy of their calendar's practical use is irrelevant in this case, leaving this End-times "prediction" to superstition and religious myth (just like their Creation-myth).
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. 2012?
    By Kilomanjaro in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
  2. 2012
    By Scientific Maximus in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: June 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
  3. 2012-(neutrino)
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Physics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
  4. 2012..
    By B1AZE in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: April 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
  5. 2012
    By Always_growing in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •