Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mitchellmckain
  • 1 Post By pavlos

Thread: So, what is a religious person

  1. #1 So, what is a religious person 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    i have taken the title from dabob's post in the nominate a moderator thread as it would be nice to hear what you think is a religious person. (i am also bored right now)

    no name-calling, slander or insults etc.. just give an honest opinion on what you think a religious person is and why you think so. you must have reasons and let's leave the dictionary definition at the side for now.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    One who believes in more than can be tangibly proven.


    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Like any word in the english language there is considerable ambiguity.

    religious
    Quote Originally Posted by freeonlinedictionary
    adj.
    1. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
    2. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.
    3. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.
    In this context I think it is the first two which are relevant, but this only scratches the surface. I think the adjective "religious" as applied to a person can also apply to someone who takes the phenomenon of religion and the idea of God seriously enough to recognize this as an important aspect of the nature of man and thus to spend time and effort on the study of this.

    I should point out that there is a definition of "religious" that is commonly used in the evangelical churches in a negative manner to refer to the legalism and ritualism in religion. From that perspective Christianity is seen as an anti-religious phenomenon declaring that all the religions which promise to bring you into harmony with God, ultimate reality, or whatever by telling you what to do, what to think, what to feel or what to believe, are all a deception and a waste of time. This is to emphasize the message of the gospel that salvation is a gift and a work of God alone.

    Since this originated in my own claim to be a religious person, perhaps I should answer the implied question. When I said this I was refering to the first of the definitions above, since theism versus atheism seems to be the most significant dispute in which the participants in this section of the forum are always engaged in. The second would apply. The third applies to most people in some area of their lives. Obviously I think the one about taking religion and God seriously applies to me since I suggested it. In the case of the negative usage in Evangelical Christianity, obviously this is not going to be what someone means if they declare themselves to be religous.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    If we can change the first definition from Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity to Countenancing a belief in and reverence for god or a deity, then I can go along with it.

    If we further clarify the character of deities in Einstein's terms - ""I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all being" - then we may find that all who contemplate are religious.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    amazing, i said:

    let's leave the dictionary definition at the side for now.
    yet MM needs to be rebellious and turn right to the dictionary;

    Like any word in the english language there is considerable ambiguity.

    religious
    freeonlinedictionary wrote:
    adj.
    1. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
    2. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.
    3. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.
    is it that hard to just give your personal opinion on a topic before turning to reference works and scientists?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    Is it that hard to just give your personal opinion on a topic before turning to reference works and scientists?
    You mean like the way I go to the Bible and actually read what it says when you claim that proves your unfounded opinions and accusations against people? Yes doing my homework is a good habit that I will embrace always, because it expands my awareness and thus my choices and thus my free will, just as I will spurn habits that do the opposite.

    Is it that hard to leave your devotion to ignorance behind? I read and give respect to writing that has shown some effort to be informative, thus I have learned to ignore most of what you write. Therefore it is no surprise that I did not bother to read some part of your OP, not that I would have paid attention to your attempt to make the rules anyway.
    dmwyant likes this.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    making rules? far from it. it was a simple attempt to obtain honest opinions without the hiding behind dictionary definitions.

    we all know what the dictionary says what we do not know is what people think.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    making rules? far from it. it was a simple attempt to obtain honest opinions without the hiding behind dictionary definitions.
    "Hiding"? So if someone avoids just spouting a lot of unfounded nonsense like you do, but instead go to a reference to look up what it says before adding their opinion, that is hiding? LOL Well I think we can all see why you don't know the meaning of words such as "hiding", you never look them up in a dictionary. In fact, you just seem to make up whatever definition you like for words, which explains why none of your posts make any sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    we all know what the dictionary says what we do not know is what people think.
    I think you either don't know what the dictionary says or you think whatever definition you make up for words takes precedence. And as for the meaning of "religious person", we certainly don't know what you think about that. But now everyone should seriously consider whether we really should care what meaning you choose to make up for that.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: So, what is a religious person 
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    no name-calling, slander or insults etc.. just give an honest opinion on what you think a religious person is and why you think so. you must have reasons and let's leave the dictionary definition at the side for now.
    A religious person is, suffering from a very dangerous meme/mind virus, which cause's them to kill with impunity, sadly it is hard for them to self cure themselves, as they are the only people that can do this.
    Also This virus gives them warm cosy feelings, which is why anybody infected doesn't wish to get cured.
    Rookie likes this.
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: So, what is a religious person 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlos
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    no name-calling, slander or insults etc.. just give an honest opinion on what you think a religious person is and why you think so. you must have reasons and let's leave the dictionary definition at the side for now.
    A religious person is, suffering from a very dangerous meme/mind virus, which cause's them to kill with impunity, sadly it is hard for them to self cure themselves, as they are the only people that can do this.
    Also This virus gives them warm cosy feelings, which is why anybody infected doesn't wish to get cured.
    The logical conclusion is that according to pavlos' definition, pavlos is a religious person.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    so much for getting personal opinions and yes you are hiding.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist
    so much for getting personal opinions and yes you are hiding.
    You keep telling yourself that when I get in your face as much as possible.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by archaeologist View Post
    i have taken the title from dabob's post in the nominate a moderator thread as it would be nice to hear what you think is a religious person. (i am also bored right now)

    no name-calling, slander or insults etc.. just give an honest opinion on what you think a religious person is and why you think so. you must have reasons and let's leave the dictionary definition at the side for now.
    I think the people on this other forum did a better job.

    Are You Religious?. And even more to the point: Religious vs Spiritual

    This is a notoriously difficult topic, because most people don't even care or consider the question. They just see the word "religious" and start flaming. Especially in a science forum. So I took the question elsewhere. Not sure you're allowed to view without membership.

    And these are from thescienceforum: Are you religious? and What it means to be religious...
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    What the hell?? Why did I just respond to a dead thread? Ignore this!

    I clicked on some "related threads" link and assumed this was recent. sorry.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •