Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Theist --> Atheist Guidance.

  1. #1 Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Freshman SuperflyTNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    41
    Hello again. I have recently been contemplating about God a lot. And since then I have come to the belief to not believe in God, in fact I am sort of inbetween. I feel old ties to my past and I cannot shake it and feels as though I shouldn't. I'm not refuting that God might or may exist but from learning and studying and personal experience I have come to the conclusion that God does not exist.

    This is very hard for me beacuse I have been a theist for a very long time (Christian) and it is now very very hard to live without God because I always used to fall back on Him. I notice now I see this way that I relied on God A LOT. So much that I would relate almost everything to Him. Life is therefore now very difficult. Belief in God was causing mental illnesses to breed too, due to the accompanying superioity complex that goes with religion in general.

    So I was wondering if there are any of you who have become atheist from being theist and how you coped and perhaps still do cope with it, and adjusting to the change that occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.


    The cake is a lie. I saw it, but it was not really there and merley a trick of the mind...

    If people of the world acted together to make it a harmonous world. We wouldn't need to wait 2000 years for a messiah; we'd save it less than 24 hours...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior newnothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    226
    Well one thing is for sure, you're not sure if there is a God or not. Why then the hesitation if God exist? Reason you fall back to 'God' is because it brings psychological comfort to a person.

    The confusion probably lies with your theist upbringing and your very own development of the ego. A part of your environment gives you theist influence which contradicts to what you desire, which is probably influenced by other parts of society.

    If you want to be an atheist, put yourself in an atheist society. If you want to be a theist, put yourself in a theist society. If you don't know what you belong to, maybe it is time to find out.


    ~ One’s ultimate perfection depends on the development of all the members of society ~ Kabbalah
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT
    So I was wondering if there are any of you who have become atheist from being theist and how you coped and perhaps still do cope with it, and adjusting to the change that occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    My change was fairly gradual, so there was never really much of an issue for me. It sounds like you changed your mind rather abruptly.

    I guess the only thing I can say is, remember that all the times when you relied on god for some reason or other, if god doesn't exist then it was your own strength/will/whatever that got you through. You aren't any less capable now than you were then.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    We all have questions. Don't make up your mind without answering them first. There is no reason to decide.

    If you want the easy way out just distance yourself from what you don't want to be. You say your in between so why not seek guidance from people on both sides and make up your own mind rather than acting out of impulse in a state of confusion.

    Better yet, find some solitude, go talk to a tree or something, they will tell you a lot about yourself.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    I found that arguing about religion helped me make up my mind. Even if you don't win the arguements, you start to understand better what it means to be on either side, and you adapt into one. So my advice would be read this section of the forum regularly and let it help you decide on things.

    Also, I was forced to go to church up to a certain age. This helped me reject religion out of spite. But I'm not entirely normal.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT
    This is very hard for me beacuse I have been a theist for a very long time (Christian) and it is now very very hard to live without God because I always used to fall back on Him. I notice now I see this way that I relied on God A LOT. So much that I would relate almost everything to Him. Life is therefore now very difficult.
    You might have believed you were falling back on god, but it's been you in the drivers seat all along, no gods were required. Everything you did was a result of your own intellect and effort. You relied entirely on yourself.

    Life should be that much easier for you now that you know who is really in control of it.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Sophomore Gods servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT
    Hello again. I have recently been contemplating about God a lot. And since then I have come to the belief to not believe in God, in fact I am sort of inbetween. I feel old ties to my past and I cannot shake it and feels as though I shouldn't. I'm not refuting that God might or may exist but from learning and studying and personal experience I have come to the conclusion that God does not exist.

    This is very hard for me beacuse I have been a theist for a very long time (Christian) and it is now very very hard to live without God because I always used to fall back on Him. I notice now I see this way that I relied on God A LOT. So much that I would relate almost everything to Him. Life is therefore now very difficult. Belief in God was causing mental illnesses to breed too, due to the accompanying superioity complex that goes with religion in general.

    So I was wondering if there are any of you who have become atheist from being theist and how you coped and perhaps still do cope with it, and adjusting to the change that occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Funny Story. If you sure god does not exist, Why hesitate?. surely whatever that pulled you from believing in god should help you cope with your situation. I find your story funny and unlikely to be true.
    Belief in a god caused you mental illness?.
    verzin says: Christians believe in a god that murders kills people.......
    zeb replies:
    I see this argument as a typical pre-concept of people, which never showed a real interest to understand the bible, and the reason of certain things, why they happened. If i explain you, what Gods intent was, and the reason, these things happened, you will certainly come with the next argument, and then the next. And the final will be, no outcome, or change of opinion. I am quit sure, you have made up your mind already, don't you ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Gods servant
    Belief in a god caused you mental illness?.
    Although I rather doubt that believing in god could cause a mental illness (depending on how you define "mental illness"), I could certainly see it becoming an exacerbating factor for someone who was already prone to it. It could also be potentially therapeutic, depending on what exactly is wrong with the person and what sort of religion they subscribe too. There are certainly some religious people who I would classify as delusional to the point of mental illness. Of course, I don't know whether or not they would have the same sorts of problems if they weren't religious. It might trigger their delusions, or it might just be the focus of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Sophomore Gods servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gods servant
    Belief in a god caused you mental illness?.
    Although I rather doubt that believing in god could cause a mental illness (depending on how you define "mental illness"), I could certainly see it becoming an exacerbating factor for someone who was already prone to it. It could also be potentially therapeutic, depending on what exactly is wrong with the person and what sort of religion they subscribe too. There are certainly some religious people who I would classify as delusional to the point of mental illness. Of course, I don't know whether or not they would have the same sorts of problems if they weren't religious. It might trigger their delusions, or it might just be the focus of it.
    scifor refugee, I know I might be going all mean to him , but the thought of saying you believed in a god and you no more believe in him caused you mental illness, and you do not have someone to fall on is well, absurd. The fall on bit, I am guessing you mean when you sad or tragic thing has happened to one and one goes to god to find comfort but if by my guess you do not believe in a god, then find what is important to you, what makes you happy and use it as a form of comforter sort, ultimately if you still suffer from mental problems then go to a councilor for help.
    verzin says: Christians believe in a god that murders kills people.......
    zeb replies:
    I see this argument as a typical pre-concept of people, which never showed a real interest to understand the bible, and the reason of certain things, why they happened. If i explain you, what Gods intent was, and the reason, these things happened, you will certainly come with the next argument, and then the next. And the final will be, no outcome, or change of opinion. I am quit sure, you have made up your mind already, don't you ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: Theist --> Atheist Guidance. 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Gods servant
    Funny Story. If you sure god does not exist, Why hesitate?. surely whatever that pulled you from believing in god should help you cope with your situation. I find your story funny and unlikely to be true.
    Belief in a god caused you mental illness?.
    I can understand that you find it hard to accept the premise of this thread but you don't have to read or participate. I haven't because it is not addressed to me -> I am not in a position to advise the person who wrote the OP as He asks to be advised. The fact that I don't agree with the premise that a belief in God is some sort of disease to be cured is not a reason to start a fight here, but is a reason to mind my own business. I find it quite sufficient that he believes it to be so and has every right to act on his belief.

    If this thread is really just meant to make a point in a devious way then you responding in this way only helps them to do so. Perhaps the author is like someone who wants to be brainwashed or hypnotised not to see the moon so that they can believe it does not exist, but if so that is his choice. Your responses in this thread only suggests that the opposite is the case and that you are like someone trying to brainwash or hypnotise yourself into seeing a second moon so that you can believe it does exist.



    To everyone else in this thread: I strongly considered making this a personal message to GS rather than intruding with this post, because my response to GS is as off topic as the posts by GS. But it seemed to me that my post was neutral enough that it might not offend and so if I am wrong I offer my apologies. My intension really was just to suggest to GS that he should butt out.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman SuperflyTNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    41
    No, thank you I found your comments very relevant Mitchell.

    To: God's servant.

    I do believe that belief in religion can lead to other delusions such as believing oneself to be special in the world, which then comes with feeling better than anyone else, which alienates you from society and thus lack of human contact leads to a number of psychological problems over the course of time.

    To: (Q).

    Thanks for that comment about doing it myself. Funny, I still thought it was God who was with me before turning atheist. Of course I didn't think twice about that after, and that I am without God now. Amazing how religion can blind you so much, and more importantly how it can obscure even the most obvious things. I'm glad I'm rid of that plaugue.
    The cake is a lie. I saw it, but it was not really there and merley a trick of the mind...

    If people of the world acted together to make it a harmonous world. We wouldn't need to wait 2000 years for a messiah; we'd save it less than 24 hours...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore Gods servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT
    No, thank you I found your comments very relevant Mitchell.

    To: God's servant.

    I do believe that belief in religion can lead to other delusions such as believing oneself to be special in the world, which then comes with feeling better than anyone else, which alienates you from society and thus lack of human contact leads to a number of psychological problems over the course of time.

    To: (Q).

    Thanks for that comment about doing it myself. Funny, I still thought it was God who was with me before turning atheist. Of course I didn't think twice about that after, and that I am without God now. Amazing how religion can blind you so much, and more importantly how it can obscure even the most obvious things. I'm glad I'm rid of that plaugue.
    mitch, why can't i post , luky.. fly
    verzin says: Christians believe in a god that murders kills people.......
    zeb replies:
    I see this argument as a typical pre-concept of people, which never showed a real interest to understand the bible, and the reason of certain things, why they happened. If i explain you, what Gods intent was, and the reason, these things happened, you will certainly come with the next argument, and then the next. And the final will be, no outcome, or change of opinion. I am quit sure, you have made up your mind already, don't you ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,230
    SuperflyTNT, I would suggest using your insights into where theists are coming from as a lesson on the human condition. Knowing what you know should preclude you from indiscriminately bashing every theist you come across, except the really extreme ones.

    Becoming atheist has had a lot of negative implications in my life. Only one of my brothers knows I am atheist and I would like to keep it that way. There is little to no tolerance for my worldview in the circles I find myself in. But I am still glad that I was able to make the leap. I would much rather suffer a few limitations in my personal life while knowing that I am being honest to myself, than deluding myself wilfully in order to fit into the crowd. I am quietly very proud of myself for this fact.

    Good luck to you! :wink:
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •