Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Is Dawkins really an atheist?

  1. #1 Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    He says that technically he is an agnostic heavily leaning towards atheism, but for all intents and purposes he labels himself as an atheist. So I shall assume that is what he is trully claiming to be.

    It's hard to believe though. Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.

    Im sure others will agree with that statement I have just made, but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong? Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.



    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree organic god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    567
    i think he uses these tactics because this is how a good debater operates


    everything is mathematical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Mockery? If he was "interested in truth" he wouldnt use such tactics. These are the kind of things that make me doubt his position.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    Forum Masters Degree pavlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    He says that technically he is an agnostic heavily leaning towards atheism, but for all intents and purposes he labels himself as an atheist. So I shall assume that is what he is trully claiming to be.

    It's hard to believe though. Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.

    Im sure others will agree with that statement I have just made, but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong? Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.
    Another lame Dawkins thread.
    Why not just ask him yourself.
    http://richarddawkins.net/
    A logician saves the life of a tiny space alien. The alien is very grateful and, since she's omniscient, offers the following reward: she offers to answer any question the logician might pose. Without too much thought (after all, he's a logician), he asks: "What is the best question to ask and what is the correct answer to that question?" The tiny alien pauses. Finally she replies, "The best question is the one you just asked; and the correct answer is the one I gave."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Simple really Pavlos.

    Firstly the chance of him replying to my email out of the thousands he receives is very slim indeed.

    Secondly the point of the thread was to ask posters of this forum what they thought his beliefs really were.

    Why ask Dawkins when its obvious what his answers going to be?

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    716
    I do not see any reasons why he needs to lie.
    I think his arguments are reasonable. Humor and tactics are added-on to make the book more enjoyable.
    If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    He says that technically he is an agnostic heavily leaning towards atheism, but for all intents and purposes he labels himself as an atheist. So I shall assume that is what he is truly claiming to be.

    It's hard to believe though. Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.

    I'm sure others will agree with that statement I have just made, but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong? Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.
    I don't agree with that statement and I suspect he would have you on the ropes before the end of the first round.
    Why do you believe that Dawkins puts forward ideas, in his writings and in debates, that he knows are "wrong" or "very weak"?
    Are you suggesting he is a charlatan, motivated solely by money, simply because you do not share his views?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.

    Im sure others will agree with that statement I have just made,
    It's either personal, or you're sure others will agree, or you think all other will agree with what is personal to you. Which?

    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong? Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.
    Some points to watch out for:

    1. You present only two possibilities as opposed to the vastly greater number available - which could lead you into a logical fallacy (the excluded middle, if I remember one way of labelling it)

    2. What evidence do you have that he thinks his ideas weak?

    3. What evidence do you have that his ideas are actually weak?

    4. What if no one agrees with you on this one?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    If he claims to be an atheist.
    If he has made major attacks on religion in many media.
    If he has been promoting a naturalistic view of the world for many years.
    If he does all these things, it seems reasonable to believe he is an atheist.

    I have only read his popular books on evolution and his arguments there did not seem to use humour.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Boy this is dumb. He is a prominent member of an atheist organization whose purpose is the promotion of atheist causes.

    I became aware of this reading that hilarious anecdote concerning the movie "Expelled: no intellegence allowed" in Minnanapolis where several members in town for an organization meeting went to see a screening of the movie and guards expelled a local biolologist from the theater but failed to recognize Dawkins.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    He says that technically he is an agnostic heavily leaning towards atheism, but for all intents and purposes he labels himself as an atheist. So I shall assume that is what he is truly claiming to be.

    It's hard to believe though. Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.

    I'm sure others will agree with that statement I have just made, but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong? Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.
    You ask whether Dawkins is an atheist and, in the first paragraph, you assume he is given that he labels himself as such.
    In your second paragraph you claim you find this hard to believe because his arguments are not "well thought out". Even if this were true I don't see why it makes it harder to believe he is an atheist.
    Lastly I don't agree with your stated opinions in the third paragraph and I fail to understand how these opinions are relevant to your original question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Ok based on the responses I think its safe to say this thread has gone norks up!

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: Is Dawkins really an atheist? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    He says that technically he is an agnostic heavily leaning towards atheism
    Cite?


    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    It's hard to believe though. Personally, I find when you read his works or listen to him debate, he relies more on humour and tactics and the backing of his audience to win arguments rather than any well thought out points.
    That hasn't been my impression; his points seem pretty darn well thought out. Can you name which debates in where his style of debate was as you say?


    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    Im sure others will agree with that statement I have just made, but does anyone else think that he uses such tactics because he realises he is wrong?
    What do you think he's wrong about?


    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    Or because he at least realises that his arguments are very weak?

    Cheers, sox.
    Which of his arguments do you think is weak?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman Reidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27
    He only claims to be an agnostic on the most technical level: one cannot actually disprove God, so we have to resort to the high level of the improbability of it. To put this in perspective, the same goes for fairies and unicorns and hobbits.

    So, while he does not (and cannot) logically say, "There is definitely no God," he can say, "There is no evidence or reason to believe in God, so I can feasibly discount such an existence until proven otherwise." Since hedging your bet against God's existence is such a safe stance, you are effectively atheist.
    A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Reidar
    He only claims to be an agnostic on the most technical level: one cannot actually disprove God, so we have to resort to the high level of the improbability of it. To put this in perspective, the same goes for fairies and unicorns and hobbits.

    So, while he does not (and cannot) logically say, "There is definitely no God," he can say, "There is no evidence or reason to believe in God, so I can feasibly discount such an existence until proven otherwise." Since hedging your bet against God's existence is such a safe stance, you are effectively atheist.
    Spot on!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman SlugMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    26
    A lot of debaters use some kind of comedy and a little mockery. But these aren't really tactics. Hes just emphasizing his point. And its not like hes giving false evidence and using tricks.
    I appoligize for mistakes in grammar, puncuation, and spelling. Cuz i suck at that stuff.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •