Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anyone read Demon haunted world by Carl Sagan?

  1. #1 Anyone read Demon haunted world by Carl Sagan? 
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    A great book. I never returned it to the library.


    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Anyone read Demon haunted world by Carl Sagan? 
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    A great book. I never returned it to the library.
    Bad boy. I bought my own. Then, alas, lost it...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    I loaned my copy to a witch. Never got it back.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    61
    I didn't read it, but I know his position quite well. I disagree with his idea that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and I think there's enough evidence to show that psi exists, and there's also enough anecdotal evidence to show the presence of spirits and the spiritual world.

    Do me a favor, though, and return the book - you can get a good second hand copy from the web.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    I did pay the library for it.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalEagle
    I didn't read it, but I know his position quite well. I disagree with his idea that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and I think there's enough evidence to show that psi exists, and there's also enough anecdotal evidence to show the presence of spirits and the spiritual world.

    Do me a favor, though, and return the book - you can get a good second hand copy from the web.
    hate to go off topic, but there is no good proof for psi, or for ghosts. if you want a debate, put u a new topic plz (saves the mods from deleting it due to being off topic)
    'if one man beleaves in fairies its called madness
    if one million men beleave in faries its called religion'- Richard Dawkings
    (but i think he was quoting someone when he said it...but who cares)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalEagle
    I didn't read it, but I know his position quite well. I disagree with his idea that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and I think there's enough evidence to show that psi exists, and there's also enough anecdotal evidence to show the presence of spirits and the spiritual world.

    Do me a favor, though, and return the book - you can get a good second hand copy from the web.
    hate to go off topic, but there is no good proof for psi, or for ghosts. if you want a debate, put u a new topic plz (saves the mods from deleting it due to being off topic)
    Where would I start the topic? The ganzfield and CIA-sponsored experiments showed some indication of the existance of psi.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman smellincoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montevallo, AL
    Posts
    12
    I think it was one of the first Sagan books I read, actually. It's one of two favorites, anyway. The other is Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors.
    This Week in Science] |Let Me Be Frank... | The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe

    "There is a grandeur in this view of life in which endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: Anyone read Demon haunted world by Carl Sagan? 
    Forum Freshman War Arrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    A great book. I never returned it to the library.
    Fantastic book. Probably not an exaggeration to say it changed my life.
    "For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
    - Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •