Notices
Results 1 to 42 of 42
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr

Thread: What Would Life Be Like With This Alien Culture?

  1. #1 What Would Life Be Like With This Alien Culture? 
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Body: Humanoid with a few variations.

    Lifespan: Forever so long they use regeneration chambers at intervals to avoid aging.

    Procreation: Parents will have one type of boy or girl. In other words, if you have a boy and you have a boy again, it will be the same EXACT boy. Personality and everything. Same thing with the girl.

    Mentality: They have all human emotions except sadness and the ability to feel regret (to me they are related). If they cry at all, it is only because they are very happy, not sad.

    Biological Conditions: When they get very angry, their skin emits a foul odor. When they are very happy, it emits a fragrant odor. The smells vary with the person.

    So how would humans get along with this alien culture? How would this alien culture develop along the space faring routes?

    Morals: They have them, since zero morality equals chaos (survival of the strongest, like the animals, with little if any culture). It's not about guilt though, since they have none. It's about what is best longterm, for everyone. To them, no morality equals chaos, whereas morality equals order.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Morals: They have them
    Easy enough to say, but you haven't defined "morals".
    They're not an absolute.
    Is it moral in their culture to eat their dead?
    Is it moral in their culture to stab a business rival?
    Etc. etc. ...


    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Is it moral in their culture to eat their dead?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    211
    Humans have morals. In recent cultures one was considered a good Dene Indian if you killed every Innuit (Eskimo) you came upon. Aztecs sacrificed captured populations to the gods. Many Christians were happy to have Muslims killed for Jesus. Muslims, Christians killed for Allah. Many Germans happy to get rid of Slavs

    The list could go on and on. The norm in recent human history is for 99% of people with our brain, intelligence, etc. to subjugate, sacrifice, kill, eat, etc. fellow humans. They all were moral.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Body: Humanoid with a few variations.
    what variations?
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Lifespan: Forever so long they use regeneration chambers at intervals to avoid aging.
    If they use regeneration chambers than how can we say that they live forever. Regenaration chambers can malfunction. This is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Procreation: Parents will have one type of boy or girl. In other words, if you have a boy and you have a boy again, it will be the same EXACT boy. Personality and everything. Same thing with the girl.
    Will they think same?
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Mentality: They have all human emotions except sadness and the ability to feel regret (to me they are related). If they cry at all, it is only because they are very happy, not sad.
    What will be their purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Biological Conditions: When they get very angry, their skin emits a foul odor. When they are very happy, it emits a fragrant odor. The smells vary with the person.
    Can this process be reversed?
    To them, no morality equals chaos, whereas morality equals order.
    It is difficult for me to hold this concept, like this smiley is not able to ride the donkey.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Body: Humanoid with a few variations.
    what variations?

    You would mistake them for humans with blue body paint if not for their odd colored hair, odd colored glowing eyes, and pointy ears.

    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Lifespan: Forever so long they use regeneration chambers at intervals to avoid aging.
    If they use regeneration chambers than how can we say that they live forever. Regenaration chambers can malfunction. This is possible.

    They invented the chambers. They maintain them so they won't malfunction.

    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Procreation: Parents will have one type of boy or girl. In other words, if you have a boy and you have a boy again, it will be the same EXACT boy. Personality and everything. Same thing with the girl.
    Will they think same?

    Life experience dictates who we become to some extent. But all the rest is the same as the original. So for a family to see different kinds of kids they would have to either wait till they get grandchildren or babysit another family's kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Mentality: They have all human emotions except sadness and the ability to feel regret (to me they are related). If they cry at all, it is only because they are very happy, not sad.
    What will be their purpose?

    Don't get what you mean by this. There is not a purpose, it is just their inherent nature. This can be considered a strength as well as a weakness at times. It just depends on the situation. In times of tragedy they will recover and rebuild much faster than a human would. Anger is a motivational factor for them when it comes to tragedies, since sadness is nonexistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Biological Conditions: When they get very angry, their skin emits a foul odor. When they are very happy, it emits a fragrant odor. The smells vary with the person.
    Can this process be reversed?

    No. It's inherent. Just like humans have skin that can easily be bruised.

    To them, no morality equals chaos, whereas morality equals order.
    It is difficult for me to hold this concept, like this smiley is not able to ride the donkey.
    Can't help you there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Morals: They have them
    Easy enough to say, but you haven't defined "morals".
    They're not an absolute.
    Is it moral in their culture to eat their dead?
    Is it moral in their culture to stab a business rival?
    Etc. etc. ...
    Morals to them are whatever is best for EVERYONE. Which is not necessarily what is best for an individual, especially criminals and people that are headed in that direction.

    They don't have prisons by the way. You pay up, one way or another, depending on the crime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Morals to them are whatever is best for EVERYONE. Which is not necessarily what is best for an individual, especially criminals and people that are headed in that direction.
    They don't have prisons by the way. You pay up, one way or another, depending on the crime.
    Still doesn't address eating the dead.
    No cemeteries taking up space that could be used for housing. That's a good idea.
    And I assume it's therefore moral to kill habitual criminals on sight (after all if they're dead they can't commit further crimes), especially serial killers/ rapists etc.
    How do they decide on science?
    Say they had their equivalent of Szilard who patented nuclear fission in the 1930s: would they class THAT as "best for everyone" - nuclear power, no more coal-burning plants, or is it immoral - allows the construction of nuclear weapons.
    Do/ did they ever have wars? How did they decide if they were moral or not?
    How about alcohol consumption or the alien equivalent thereof?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    [QUOTE=Dywyddyr;502233]
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Morals to them are whatever is best for EVERYONE. Which is not necessarily what is best for an individual, especially criminals and people that are headed in that direction.
    They don't have prisons by the way. You pay up, one way or another, depending on the crime.
    Still doesn't address eating the dead.
    No cemeteries taking up space that could be used for housing. That's a good idea.
    And I assume it's therefore moral to kill habitual criminals on sight (after all if they're dead they can't commit further crimes), especially serial killers/ rapists etc.

    They have been around for a while, otherwise they wouldn't have the tech for regeneration chambers and FTL drives.

    They have made their mistake in the past. But have essentially learned from them. Alcohol is fine, getting drunk is not.

    War is something they try to avoid. But if it happens, it happens. Power is rather centralized, but members do get swapped out at intervals to give others experience.

    Science is a science. They simply don't know until they try it. But they do have extremely fast computers that calculate a lot of things for them, so they make good choices instead of stupid ones. Their computers can process information faster than any species they know, and thus they can hack just about any species computers if they have WIFI on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    By the way, they can eat most human foods with sugar being an exception. It's toxic to them.

    Honey is fine, and fruits and veggies and meat are fine, but cane sugar is not. And no, honey and sugar are not exactly the same, even thought they are both sweet.

    Due their regeneration chambers, none of them look like they aged a day over 20.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    They have been around for a while, otherwise they wouldn't have the tech for regeneration chambers and FTL drives.
    They have made their mistake in the past. But have essentially learned from them. Alcohol if fine, getting drunk is not.
    War is something they try to avoid. But if it happens, it happens. Power is rather centralized, but members do get swapped out at intervals to give others experience.
    Science is a science. They simply don't know until they try it. But they do have extremely fast computers that calculate a lot of things for them, so they make good choices instead of stupid ones.
    Still doesn't address eating the dead.
    Still doesn't answer: And I assume it's therefore moral to kill habitual criminals on sight (after all if they're dead they can't commit further crimes), especially serial killers/ rapists etc.
    So war is moral?
    Their computers can simulate how how inventions will affect society 50 -100 in the future?

    Their computers can process information faster than any species they know, and thus they can hack just about any species computers if they have WIFI on.
    Oh wow.
    All these years in computing and I never, ever, learned that processor speed (with or without WIFI) was the enabler for hacking. Sod architecture incompatibility, bugger language differences...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Still doesn't address eating the dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    No cemeteries taking up space that could be used for housing. That's a good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    And I assume it's therefore moral to kill habitual criminals on sight (after all if they're dead they can't commit further crimes), especially serial killers/ rapists etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    How do they decide on science?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Do/ did they ever have wars? How did they decide if they were moral or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    How about the alien equivalent thereof?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    This just seems like bad sci fi by a 12 year old.

    There is no reason or rationale behind any of these ideas. Is it an enzyme in honey that allows them to eat it? How do their computers "talk" to other computers from different races?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Good lord....someone discovered a smiley website...
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    This just seems like bad sci fi by a 12 year old.

    There is no reason or rationale behind any of these ideas. Is it an enzyme in honey that allows them to eat it? How do their computers "talk" to other computers from different races?
    And if everyone had your opinion (and it's good they don't) much the science fiction we have wouldn't exist. Star Wars wouldn't exist since spaceships don't move like airplanes. And Star Trek wouldn't exist since much of their tech doesn't follow physics.

    And Star Wars and the force definitely wouldn't exist.

    Stories don't have to fit one person's criteria, they only have to fit the author's and the niche of readers that read it.

    In the case of TV, no matter how silly it is, if it's popular, it's popular.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    They have been around for a while, otherwise they wouldn't have the tech for regeneration chambers and FTL drives.
    They have made their mistake in the past. But have essentially learned from them. Alcohol if fine, getting drunk is not.
    War is something they try to avoid. But if it happens, it happens. Power is rather centralized, but members do get swapped out at intervals to give others experience.
    Science is a science. They simply don't know until they try it. But they do have extremely fast computers that calculate a lot of things for them, so they make good choices instead of stupid ones.
    Still doesn't address eating the dead.


    Still doesn't answer: And I assume it's therefore moral to kill habitual criminals on sight (after all if they're dead they can't commit further crimes), especially serial killers/ rapists etc.
    So war is moral?
    Their computers can simulate how how inventions will affect society 50 -100 in the future?

    Their computers can process information faster than any species they know, and thus they can hack just about any species computers if they have WIFI on.
    Oh wow.
    All these years in computing and I never, ever, learned that processor speed (with or without WIFI) was the enabler for hacking. Sod architecture incompatibility, bugger language differences...
    To answer your questions.

    Eating the dead: That is an absolute last resort if they are starving.

    Killing Criminals on site: More like rounded up to a place to be killed.

    Computers: Their tech is more advanced than most species, thus they have been there done that what other species are working on for the most part. They already have the compatible hardware, it's just a matter of their computers finding and breaking the code.

    Considering their computers run at superhuman speeds of thought, that is quite possible for them to do. Yes, they have AI, but they keep it subservient to them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Perhaps. Why is everything so random, though? It seems very scattered.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    That's besides the fact that the use their AI computers for language translation with other species.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Perhaps. Why is everything so random, though? It seems very scattered.
    That is a statement of how you feel, not a question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Perhaps. Why is everything so random, though? It seems very scattered.
    That is a statement of how you feel, not a question.
    They have supercomputers which can hack other computers regardless of programming language and sugar is poisonous to them. Yeah, that's not random.

    EDIT: Allow me to be more constructive.

    You have a lot of threads about "Which kind of spaceship would you pick?" or "What kind of alien would you pick?" etc.

    Maybe consider merging your ideas together to construct some kind of cohesive alien race and their kind of technology or personality traits or whatever. These threads just feel so random and I don't actually know how to participate in them.

    Sorry if I came off as hostile or unhelpful.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    To answer your questions
    Apart from the ones you've ignored, at least.

    Computers: Their tech is more advanced than most species, thus they have been there done that what other species are working on for the most part. They already have the compatible hardware
    Ah right.
    They always carry thousand-year old adaptors. Got it.

    it's just a matter of their computers finding and breaking the code.
    No.
    The architecture and language the computers use may be incompatible for hacking.


    Okay, here's one.
    Say a couple 1 have children. Lots of them, five years apart for a couple of centuries.
    At age 195 the eldest child murders someone.
    Since you have already stated that each child is EXACTLY (your word) the same as all other children from any couple then we know that the younger siblings are also capable of, or inclined to, or predisposed to, murder.
    Do they wait until those murders occur before apprehension and execution - thus causing innocent deaths, or do they arrest and execute the younger, currently-innocent-but-genetically-fixed-not-to-be ones?
    Can they tell if the future murders are "fixed" to happen when each child reaches 195 years old, or was the first's crime "delayed" until that age because of lack of opportunity?

    1 Okay, they're aliens, it might actually take eleventeen of them to breed.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    To answer your questions
    Apart from the ones you've ignored, at least.

    Computers: Their tech is more advanced than most species, thus they have been there done that what other species are working on for the most part. They already have the compatible hardware
    Ah right.
    They always carry thousand-year old adaptors. Got it.

    it's just a matter of their computers finding and breaking the code.
    No.
    The architecture and language the computers use may be incompatible for hacking.


    Okay, here's one.
    Say a couple 1 have children. Lots of them, five years apart for a couple of centuries.
    At age 195 the eldest child murders someone.
    Since you have already stated that each child is EXACTLY (your word) the same as all other children from any couple then we know that the younger siblings are also capable of, or inclined to, or predisposed to, murder.
    Do they wait until those murders occur before apprehension and execution - thus causing innocent deaths, or do they arrest and execute the younger, currently-innocent-but-genetically-fixed-not-to-be ones?
    Can they tell if the future murders are "fixed" to happen when each child reaches 195 years old, or was the first's crime "delayed" until that age because of lack of opportunity?

    1 Okay, they're aliens, it might actually take eleventeen of them to breed.
    You presume they have more than one child. They don't. Birth control pills. Parents have no reason to keep having the same child over and over. But they do have birth control.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    You presume they have more than one child.
    I'm presuming nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by YOU
    Procreation: Parents will have one type of boy or girl. In other words, if you have a boy and you have a boy again, it will be the same EXACT boy.
    If they only have one child how do they know this?

    To answer your original question: So how would humans get along with this alien culture?
    Badly.
    They think fuchsia is a cool colour, they suck at Pong and laugh in all the wrong place when watching comedy films.
    Oh, and they never bring decent beer to neighbourhood barbecues.
    Flick Montana and sir ir r aj like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    You presume they have more than one child.
    I'm presuming nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by YOU
    Procreation: Parents will have one type of boy or girl. In other words, if you have a boy and you have a boy again, it will be the same EXACT boy.
    If they only have one child how do they know this?



    They think fuchsia is a cool colour, they suck at Pong and laugh in all the wrong place when watching comedy films.
    Oh, and they never bring decent beer to neighbourhood barbecues.

    Simple. History. Before they ever developed regeneration chambers and FTL drives, they lived a life where such was the case.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    I don't think they would be bad at pong. That must be a joke.

    They don't think sadness is funny, but they do think it's odd. Untrained ones might laugh at human movies. But trained ones would do better, even saying "Sorry." simply to appease humans (despite the fact they can't 'feel' sorry).

    Decent beer. They could bring decent beer, but they would try to avoid getting drunk.

    You don't want a drunken alien around with no sense of regret for the stupid stuff they do. At best they could understand the consequences being negative, after any damage was done.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Simple. History. Before they ever developed regeneration chambers and FTL drives, they lived a life where such was the case.
    Fair enough, although you bringing it up in the first place was yet another example of how badly you've thought out the whole question.
    So, when did their morality develop?
    Before or after they stopped having multiple offspring?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I don't think they would be bad at pong. That must be a joke.
    Not a joke. They genuinely suck at it.

    They don't think sadness is funny, but they do think it's odd. Untrained ones might laugh at human movies. But trained ones would do better, even saying "Sorry." simply to appease humans (despite the fact they can't 'feel' sorry).
    They need training to see humour?

    Decent beer. They could bring decent beer, but they would try to avoid getting drunk.
    I didn't say anything about what they drink. But you're wrong. They ALWAYS bring absolutely crap beer.
    And never apologise for it.

    What you don't seem to get is that your question, and the subsequent "details" are so vague as to be meaningless.
    Therefore I decided to add some of my own details.

    Put it this way: moral (by their own standards), don't get drunk (don't drink in fact), don't smell depending on mood, look a lot like us.
    Taliban.
    How do we get on with THEM?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Simple. History. Before they ever developed regeneration chambers and FTL drives, they lived a life where such was the case.
    Fair enough, although you bringing it up in the first place was yet another example of how badly you've thought out the whole question.
    So, when did their morality develop?
    Before or after they stopped having multiple offspring?
    I don't think you understand. They were and are still mortal. They developed technology that keeps them young while they were still dying due to old age.

    After that, then they began living on and on, due to the technology. Their morality has been going on for a long time, but it was fully matured by the time they achieved regenerative tech and FTL drive.

    I think what you wanna know is if twins exist, and they do, but they are rare. Since the practice is not to have twins, since it's redundant. It's not considered immoral, but it is frowned upon unless of course your child dies.

    Death is really, really, frowned upon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I don't think they would be bad at pong. That must be a joke.
    Not a joke. They genuinely suck at it.

    They don't think sadness is funny, but they do think it's odd. Untrained ones might laugh at human movies. But trained ones would do better, even saying "Sorry." simply to appease humans (despite the fact they can't 'feel' sorry).
    They need training to see humour?


    Decent beer. They could bring decent beer, but they would try to avoid getting drunk.
    I didn't say anything about what they drink. But you're wrong. They ALWAYS bring absolutely crap beer.
    And never apologise for it.

    What you don't seem to get is that your question, and the subsequent "details" are so vague as to be meaningless.
    Therefore I decided to add some of my own details.

    Put it this way: moral (by their own standards), don't get drunk (don't drink in fact), don't smell depending on mood, look a lot like us.
    Taliban.
    How do we get on with THEM?
    You keep implying and presuming things that simply aren't true.

    They don't need training to see humor, but seeing a human cry over something that would make them mad might make them cock their head to the side in puzzlement, or just laugh (they associate crying with intense happiness).

    And they can, and do drink alcohol. They are actually part of an alliance of space races. So they are social.

    How do we get on with them? Don't know what you mean, but they can't reproduce with other species if that's what your getting at. No more than a man could with a dog.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I don't think you understand.
    Nope, that would be you.

    They were and are still mortal. They developed technology that keeps them young while they were still dying due to old age.
    What? Non-sequitur.

    After that, then they began living on and on, due to the technology. Their morality has been going on for a long time, but it was fully matured by the time they achieved regenerative tech and FTL drive.

    I think what you wanna know is if twins exist, and they do, but they are rare. Since the practice is not to have twins, since it's redundant. It's not considered immoral, but it is frowned upon unless of course your child dies.

    Death is really, really, frowned upon.
    One more time: did they have their current morality BEFORE or AFTER they stopped having more than one child?
    If it was BEFORE then how did they handle the case I gave of the elder child being a murderer? Or any other sort of criminal?
    "Twins" have nothing to do with it - unless you know of some way of having multiple twins each child of which is five years apart.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    You keep implying and presuming things that simply aren't true.
    Nope.

    [They don't need training to see humor, but seeing a human cry over something that would make them mad might make them cock their head to the side in puzzlement, or just laugh.
    Really?
    Then why did YOU write:
    Untrained ones might laugh at human movies. But trained ones would do better
    And they can, and do drink alcohol. They are actually part of an alliance of space races. So they are social.
    So what?
    I did NOT say they didn't.

    How do we get on with them? Don't know what you mean, but they can't reproduce with other species if that's what your getting at. No more than a man could with a dog.
    WTF?
    YOUR question was: So how would humans get along with this alien culture?
    Go back and look - it's in post #1. The one written by YOU.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; December 15th, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I don't think you understand.
    Nope, that would be you.

    They were and are still mortal. They developed technology that keeps them young while they were still dying due to old age.
    What? Non-sequitur.

    After that, then they began living on and on, due to the technology. Their morality has been going on for a long time, but it was fully matured by the time they achieved regenerative tech and FTL drive.

    I think what you wanna know is if twins exist, and they do, but they are rare. Since the practice is not to have twins, since it's redundant. It's not considered immoral, but it is frowned upon unless of course your child dies.

    Death is really, really, frowned upon.
    One more time: did they have their current morality BEFORE or AFTER they stopped having more than one child?
    If it was BEFORE then how did they handle the case I gave of the elder child being a murderer? Or any other sort of criminal?
    "Twins" have nothing to do with it - unless you know of some way of having multiple twins each child of which is five years apart.
    I never really considered that, but some things in science fiction just aren't considered as they do nothing for the plot.

    I never ever have seen a starfleet officer use a toilet. It's important, but we never see it.


    With murders, it's simple, if there is enough evidence proving you are a murderer, you are executed (that is with current morality).

    Old school morality was a lot more like the wild west. Catch as can, kill or be killed. Corruption. You name it.

    New morality is basically anti-crime to the max.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post

    You keep implying and presuming things that simply aren't true.
    As everything you've posted seems to be illogical, not very well thought out and made up as you go along how can you post this with a straight face? Why is your nonsensical made up stuff more true than the stuff made up by the duck to parody it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post

    You keep implying and presuming things that simply aren't true.

    As everything you've posted seems to be illogical, not very well thought out and made up as you go along how can you post this with a straight face? Why is your nonsensical made up stuff more true than the stuff made up by the duck to parody it?
    So you want me not to post eh?

    I simply post to see what people say, assuming they bring things to light I may find interesting.

    Sometimes I find things. Sometimes I don't. Much like fishing.

    To the extent that people post that, I care. To the extent that they merely say how they think this or that is silly, I don't care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I never really considered that, but some things in science fiction just aren't considered as they do nothing for the plot.
    Exactly.
    The writer gives readers the information that THEY need to understand the story.
    Since this is YOUR "story" WTF are you asking US how they and we would interact on so little data?

    I never ever have seen a starfleet officer use a toilet. It's important, but we never see it.
    Because we already know what humans do.
    If it was important to the plot in Star Trek you can be damn sure that alien use of the toilet would be mentioned.
    You can only leave it out if it's not relevant: something you haven't grasped so far.

    With murders, it's simple, if there is enough evidence proving you are a murderer, you are executed (that is with current morality).
    And you missed the point of the question.

    Old school morality was a lot more like the wild west. Catch as can, kill or be killed. Corruption. You name it.
    New morality is basically anti-crime to the max.
    So either there's no behavioural propensities passed from parent to child (e.g. if dad/ mum was a murderer/ criminal it's likely that the child NOT will be).
    Otherwise you're back to my original problem: if behaviour etc is so strictly "fixed" (i.e. all siblings being identical as to personality) then either there's NO link between parent/ child behaviour (otherwise dad being a criminal means you have a problem with the child) or ALL criminal beahviour that warrants execution has been bred out by those executions.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    I never really considered that, but some things in science fiction just aren't considered as they do nothing for the plot.
    Exactly.
    The writer gives readers the information that THEY need to understand the story.
    Since this is YOUR "story" WTF are you asking US how they and we would interact on so little data?

    I never ever have seen a starfleet officer use a toilet. It's important, but we never see it.
    Because we already know what humans do.
    If it was important to the plot in Star Trek you can be damn sure that alien use of the toilet would be mentioned.
    You can only leave it out if it's not relevant: something you haven't grasped so far.

    With murders, it's simple, if there is enough evidence proving you are a murderer, you are executed (that is with current morality).
    And you missed the point of the question.

    Old school morality was a lot more like the wild west. Catch as can, kill or be killed. Corruption. You name it.
    New morality is basically anti-crime to the max.
    So either there's no behavioural propensities passed from parent to child (e.g. if dad/ mum was a murderer/ criminal it's likely that the child NOT will be).
    Otherwise you're back to my original problem: if behaviour etc is so strictly "fixed" (i.e. all siblings being identical as to personality) then either there's NO link between parent/ child behaviour (otherwise dad being a criminal means you have a problem with the child) or ALL criminal beahviour that warrants execution has been bred out by those executions.
    A child is not a clone of the mom or father. It's just that if they have a brother or sister, that they will be just like the original in every way, EXCEPT life experience.

    No, the aliens won't kill entire family lines. Evil is not bred. It is a choice. Aliens have free will, just like humans. Even animals don't fully appreciate free will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    A child is not a clone of the mom or father.
    Yet siblings are.

    No, the aliens won't kill entire family lines.
    Which doesn't answer my original problem.
    Or maybe it does: these moral aliens (historically) let the younger children go on to kill innocent people.

    Evil is not bred. It is a choice. Aliens have free will, just like humans.
    Well, you assume that, at least.

    Even animals don't fully appreciate free will.
    And that's not even worth gracing with the title "assumption".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    A child is not a clone of the mom or father.
    Yet siblings are.

    No, the aliens won't kill entire family lines.
    Which doesn't answer my original problem.
    Or maybe it does: these moral aliens (historically) let the younger children go on to kill innocent people.

    Evil is not bred. It is a choice. Aliens have free will, just like humans.
    Well, you assume that, at least.

    Even animals don't fully appreciate free will.
    And that's not even worth gracing with the title "assumption".
    Humans have more free will about their lives than animals do any day of the week. A lot of what animals do, especially wild ones, is preprogrammed. Meaning that don't have to learn it much, if at all. They just know. You and me? Much of what we do is done by choice, or forced upon us.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Humans have more free will about their lives than animals do any day of the week.
    Assumption.

    Much of what we do is done by choice, or forced upon us.
    You think?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    Humans have more free will about their lives than animals do any day of the week.
    Assumption.

    Much of what we do is done by choice, or forced upon us.
    You think?
    You question but offer no alternatives. Your argument holds no water.

    I'm done reasoning with you. Waste of time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by lorbo View Post
    You question but offer no alternatives. Your argument holds no water.
    Whut?
    You haven't offered any argument whatsoever - other than bland repeated assertions - that we do have free will.

    I'm done reasoning with you. Waste of time.
    Glorious!
    You start a thread with utter shit, continue to post utter shit, and you're done reasoning with with me?
    Could you please, just for posterity, point out ANY post (not just in this thread, but ANY post you've made on this forum) where you've actually used reason?
    PhDemon and sir ir r aj like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    lorbo dont quit .
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: September 21st, 2013, 03:37 AM
  2. Are we descendants of "alien" life?
    By theSocraticomplex in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: July 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
  3. Alien culture - will we comprehend it?
    By Leszek Luchowski in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM
  4. An alien intelligent life, including intelligent ones: =)
    By shadow001 in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •