Notices
Results 1 to 74 of 74

Thread: 2012..

  1. #1 2012.. 
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    1% of me believes some 'alien' life may have stopped by our planet,far back when human beings were still throwing spears and shit,just because we havnt dug up some ancient scroll documenting an event...saying that people came from the sky and gave us a helping hand..uno..maybe the aliens realized that if they blended in,humans would be less scared,rowdy about their presents,maybe humans did not find out..but i know one thing i believe,that alien life is out there,the universe is way too large to be narrow minded about shit like this,btw those people piss me off,but the big question to me still is what made that 'MOMENT' of all this..everything right now,all around me and you,what made all this mass of hecticness and life,it must have been intelliegent......its crazy

    Kc.


    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43


    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    btw i also think that particle collider experiment in sweden is gonna do something which fucks us over...
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior DivideByZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by B1AZE
    btw i also think that particle collider experiment in sweden is gonna do something which fucks us over...
    Knowledge is dangerous.
    But no knowledge is deadly.

    Using sole beliefs to determine outcomes is just overrated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Something will happen in 2012, something cataclysmic, that is for sure. It may not be the end of the world, not even of humankinds place in the world. But something very eventful will happen. Bad or Good, I feel foreboding though so its probably bad, and it has at the end of every cycle been bad, so start making a radioactive proof shelter. Modify solar panels to gamma radiation and put them really thick between the walls of your shelter and even on the inside, use capacitors and use them to fuel your shelter for years to come. . Oh and stock up on food of course.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by B1AZE
    btw i also think that particle collider experiment in sweden is gonna do something which fucks us over...
    Would that be the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland? Or have ABBA found a further use for their millions?
    Quote Originally Posted by B1AZE
    but i know one thing i believe,that alien life is out there,the universe is way too large to be narrow minded about shit like this,btw those people piss me off
    A narrow minded approach is to argue thus: the universe is very large; therefore, it is inconceivable that there is not intelligent alien life somewhere else out there. That is a fallacious Argument from Incredulity. It is logically flawed and thus narrow minded.
    An open minded approach is to acknowledge that we currently lack the data to determine one way or the other whether intelligent alien life is certain - probable - possible - unlikely - implausible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    46
    Not sure you're asking about that Mayan 2012 end of time or what created the Universe. If the former, none of that stuff is ok. Foretelling the (detailed) future is impossible. Not Edgar Cayse, Astrology, Revelations, Nostradamus, or some primitive indian tribe in Mexico (no offense Mayan descendants).

    I doubt anybody has ever visited us in the entire 4.7 billion years of this planet's life. The distances are too great and the conditions too harsh. Yea, I know there are many references which somewhat suggest the contrary. The chapter of Ezekiel in the bible sure sounds like a space ship . . . tough to deal with that one but I still doubt it because of the distances involved.

    with regards to the latter:

    Nothing made it. How could something be created out of nothing? Sounds impossible right. Fish don't understand water because they're too emersed in it. What happens to the concept of swimming at the critical point of freezing? Critical points are all around us wherever we look. They hint I think at a primeval origin: the Big Bang, or what we call the singular episode back then. But that singular point might be a critical point of some larger system, and by their very nature, critical points change qualitatively the dynamics of a system. Then our universe must be qualitatively different from the past before the Big Bang. We can't then use our physics, our laws of nature, our . . . "something" to explain the qualitatively different state that existed before "something" and thereby rationalize what "something" may have made it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    To All

    The year 2012 could be the year the universe will expand by billions of light years
    By that, I mean the JWST (NGST) will be launched.
    It will be able to see tens of billions of light years deeper into space.

    I predict that it will find galaxies far away with redshifts of 10, 12, 15 that the BBT will not be able to explain.

    I am looking forward to year 2012.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    To All

    This alien life thing could be explained as spirits?

    By that, I mean that any space travelers moving in space at velocies that approach 'c', could have had their space ships and their bodies gradually eroded because of intergalactic collisions with the space particles that would penetrate the space ships to cause these erosions.
    So, all they got left is their spiritual remains.

    Just imagine a dense particle like a proton colliding with a metal space ship. The proton woul obviously penetrate the SS and take a piece of its composition with it.

    Of course, this is only speculation but it is realistic speculation.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    what if the the particle collider reallyy does do some wacky shiz..like i mean,i was expecting countries to step in on this experiment taking place,to me its like north korea blowing up another nuke to test how far they have reached in science,this year humans r conducting an experiment which has no predition except having a better graph of particles splitting or somethingwe already know that going quantum creates nukes which could split the earth in half if a few were dug at the correct depth,whats so different with smashing 2 single particles together at basically the speed of light,like i am most def no1 expert on this topic,but ino my gran dad always told me science will create a great world for me in the future..just hope this shit goes done with ease
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Look, two colliding particles as small as they are will do nothing, at least I don't think so. Whats the worst that could happen?

    I don't know about you but I have a wierd feeling of foreboding in me now,

    Run!
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Look, two colliding particles as small as they are will do nothing, at least I don't think so. Whats the worst that could happen?

    I don't know about you but I have a wierd feeling of foreboding in me now,

    Run!
    well i hope this gets some media attention for my peace of mind,i dont wanna die in split second if you know what i mean lol
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    67
    This alien life thing could be explained as spirits?
    What are these spirits? What are they made out of?

    The best physicists in the world have pretty much said that the Large Hadron Collider doesn't pose any sort of threat to us. The media (and some of the scientific community I would think) got ahold of the idea that the LHC could produce a blackhole or strangelet, but CERN has said that that is not possible. The particle physicists they employ know a hell of a lot more than you or I.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    We all know the world will not end until the antimatter bombs are ready
    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    i somewhat believe in ghost/spirits,my family has rich history ghost encounters,and believe i was around a spirit during my younger days,my bro also agrees with me(not twins),but i also believe the mind is wild and crazy..
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidchickn
    This alien life thing could be explained as spirits?
    What are these spirits? What are they made out of?

    The best physicists in the world have pretty much said that the Large Hadron Collider doesn't pose any sort of threat to us. The media (and some of the scientific community I would think) got ahold of the idea that the LHC could produce a blackhole or strangelet, but CERN has said that that is not possible. The particle physicists they employ know a hell of a lot more than you or I.
    Well, these spirits are the voices that exist in your head like the ones that dictated to Moses (OT) and Mohammads head (500 AD).

    Do not take this too seriously though because in todays scientific age, they are liable to put you in a psychiatric ward. Ha ha.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    I think you're all full of grandiose ideas that will never pan out. The only reason the year 2012 is significant is because it is the end of the Mayan longest count. The Mayans sepeated their cycles into counts, both short and long ones. Much as all the short counts have come and begun over so will the Mayan longest count. It's all superstition and I'm surprised so many people have bought into it. I guess the media hype over this story has taken over.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    I think you're all full of grandiose ideas that will never pan out. The only reason the year 2012 is significant is because it is the end of the Mayan longest count. The Mayans sepeated their cycles into counts, both short and long ones. Much as all the short counts have come and begun over so will the Mayan longest count. It's all superstition and I'm surprised so many people have bought into it. I guess the media hype over this story has taken over.
    New years eve, 12/31/1999, THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Masters Degree SuperNatendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN USA
    Posts
    505
    Why the hell is this posted in the astronomy section!!!!! Utter bologna!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Something will happen in 2012, something cataclysmic, that is for sure. It may not be the end of the world, not even of humankinds place in the world. But something very eventful will happen. Bad or Good, I feel foreboding though so its probably bad, and it has at the end of every cycle been bad, so start making a radioactive proof shelter. Modify solar panels to gamma radiation and put them really thick between the walls of your shelter and even on the inside, use capacitors and use them to fuel your shelter for years to come. . Oh and stock up on food of course.
    I would have to agree with this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_growing
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Something will happen in 2012, something cataclysmic, that is for sure. It may not be the end of the world, not even of humankinds place in the world. But something very eventful will happen. Bad or Good, I feel foreboding though so its probably bad, and it has at the end of every cycle been bad, so start making a radioactive proof shelter. Modify solar panels to gamma radiation and put them really thick between the walls of your shelter and even on the inside, use capacitors and use them to fuel your shelter for years to come. . Oh and stock up on food of course.
    I would have to agree with this.
    why?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Sophomore Cuntinuum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    101
    Oh hello, I noticed there's a shit thread in the Astronomy section. Allow me to crap it up more than it already is. 8)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    its better than the london olympics
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    165
    B1AZE,

    I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on the LHC and not some misquoted media hype.
    Thinking of the question is greater than knowing the answer...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Flannery
    B1AZE,

    I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on the LHC and not some misquoted media hype.
    yes yes i know i have done some research since i made this thread,but you never know..
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    plus even so..the knowledge of particles and whatever may lead to some deverstating event
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    At the end of every Mayab calender (the Mayan's being better at astronomy than we are, yes that is accepted fact) something terrible has happened. Something terrible to them to say in the least. So something significant will happen.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    At the end of every Mayab calender (the Mayan's being better at astronomy than we are, yes that is accepted fact) something terrible has happened. Something terrible to them to say in the least. So something significant will happen.
    ...really?

    i always wonder why people are so fascinated with the end of the world?

    y2k
    the rapture
    the great disappointment
    mayan calender
    end times
    nuclear winter

    can i go on?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    At the end of every Mayab calender (the Mayan's being better at astronomy than we are, yes that is accepted fact) something terrible has happened. Something terrible to them to say in the least. So something significant will happen.
    Edit: Actually some of the information I gave was wrong so I'll repost.


    The Mayans used a base 20 counting system instead of a base 10 which is used today. The basic unit of a long count date is a kin which is equal to one day. Next comes a uinal which is equal to 20 kin, a tun which is equal to 18 uinal (1 year approximately), a katun which is equal to 20 tun and a baktun which is equal to 20 katun. Finally what is known as the Great cycle is 13 baktun.

    Even though they aren't listed in popular Mayan history the Mayans also had dates to extend beyond this Great cycle of theirs. Some of the date types they had would be consistent to millions of our current years. I believe the great cycle was put in place because after every itinerary of this cycle a new age was born.

    I'll look into when each of these Great cycles ended and post my findings here. The Mayans believed that we are now in the fourth age I think.

    The Mayan either had 2 or 3 different calendar types at the same time. first there was a Long Count calendar as described above, then there is what is known as a Tzolkin calendar and finally the Haab calendar. Actually I'll just give you a link to describe these next two calendars: http://webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    I found more information. The Mayan Long Count began on August 13 3114 B.C.E. and will last for approximately 5,125.25 years which would make the date for the end of this long count in December of 2012. There legends state that at the end of each Great cycle there is a catastrophy and a renewal. Since the Mayan calendar began on the date above ,we know the length of the Great Cycle and the Mayans thought we were either on the fourth or fifth great cycle we can use a little math to pin down the points at which the previous great cycle began and ended and if any catastrophies occured during that time.

    After looking for soem time I couldn't find any sort of natural disasters that happened in the year of 3114 B.C.E. nor could I find any sort of disasters that happened in the year 8239 B.C.E. which was the beginning of the last Great Cycle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by medlakeguy
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    At the end of every Mayab calender (the Mayan's being better at astronomy than we are, yes that is accepted fact) something terrible has happened. Something terrible to them to say in the least. So something significant will happen.
    ...really?

    i always wonder why people are so fascinated with the end of the world?

    y2k
    the rapture
    the great disappointment
    mayan calender
    end times
    nuclear winter

    can i go on?
    I wish to find out about catastrophes so I can prepare myself and others. I know how to survive a nuclear blast, the blast at least.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    I'm not scared.

    Those blood thirsty Mayans can't scare me with their doom and gloom!

    After all what do they know? They used to hack peoples hearts out and chop their heads off to appease a sun God, that just turned out to be a ball of flaming gas!

    Gee if that's what you have to do to keep the sun shining i think i'd rather skeedaddle!

    I'm not afraid of the worlds end or dying...in fact it will just be another adventure

    That reminds me...

    Has anyone seen the film Apocolypto?

    I loved that film.....well done Mr Gibson.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I liked End of days.

    You a fu@%ing choir boy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!!!
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    I liked End of days.

    You a fu@%ing choir boy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!!!
    Haven't seen that so not sure what you mean by choir boy.

    I'd like to be a choir boy...but i haven't got a willy....so i guess the priests wouldn't want me
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    I liked End of days.

    You a fu@%ing choir boy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!!!
    Haven't seen that so not sure what you mean by choir boy.

    I'd like to be a choir boy...but i haven't got a willy....so i guess the priests wouldn't want me
    You could always tape one on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    I liked End of days.

    You a fu@%ing choir boy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!!!
    Haven't seen that so not sure what you mean by choir boy.

    I'd like to be a choir boy...but i haven't got a willy....so i guess the priests wouldn't want me
    You could always tape one on.
    That's true....do you know where i can get one then?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    165
    I wish to find out about catastrophes so I can prepare myself and others. I know how to survive a nuclear blast, the blast at least.
    Please elaborate, this should be entertaining...

    Barry
    Thinking of the question is greater than knowing the answer...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Flannery
    I wish to find out about catastrophes so I can prepare myself and others. I know how to survive a nuclear blast, the blast at least.
    Please elaborate, this should be entertaining...

    Barry
    Put your head between your legs and pray for Jesus
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    well ill say everything i can say about what might happen on 2012:
    1. On 2012 it is predicted that the population of the earth will reach 7 billion people.
    2.NASA predicts that the Sun will reverse its own magnetic poles during 2012 as result of reaching the end of the current 11-year sunspot cycle
    dec.21 2012 is going to be a sad day.
    on this year the sun will aline with the center of our galixy AND our earth will complete a woble which both are very rare events the popovu (the myan bible) says the dark rift in the milky way is the entrance to the underworld a haven for evil. this is the same rift the sun will aline with. i dont wona die
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    I've done a bit more research concerning the year 2012 and the catastrophy that has been prophesized. I also recall a post on this board or another board that I can't find concernign a planet by the name of Sedna/Nibiru. This planet was suppose to pass through the asteroid belt bringing the asteroids and would pelt the Earth with meteors and this was suppose to be some sort of catastrphic event which will occur in 2012.

    The planet Nibiru comes from translations of ancient Sumerian texts by Zecharia Sitchin in 1976 in which a race known as the Annunaki is suppose to have lived and come to Earth. They then experimented on the inhabitants, which at that time were Homo Erectus, and created modern man which consisted of 80% Homo Erectus DNA and 20% Annunaki DNA in order to create a slave animal that could learn from them.

    This planet has never been discovered. The images on the internet that are suppose to be attributed to it are of other objects. Evidentally all those that think this planet exists say that the government is holding back the information from the public so as not to create mass hysteria.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    lol cool enything possable i gess but even if the goverment was holding back not to case mass histaria wouldent shareing the information publicly have a less violent reaction the holding back?

    people get much madder when secerits are kept from them.
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    lol cool enything possable i gess but even if the goverment was holding back not to case mass histaria wouldent shareing the information publicly have a less violent reaction the holding back?

    people get much madder when secerits are kept from them.
    It would probably create a lot more hysteria and chaos than anyone would like to think. Heck if I knew everyone was going to die in a few years I'd go otu and create chaos myself.

    This idea and subsequent theory, of another planet that has such an eccentric orbit, isn't true in the least. It's a joke that was disproven long ago though people still have this idea that it actually is true because of modern media hype. They don't look at the truth they only look at the lies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Freshman dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    29
    the maya are not predicting catastrophe, dig a little deeper folks.
    they have a couple dozen calenders which are highly accurate.
    ALL of these calenders end, and begin at the same time in 2012.

    It's like music.

    If any of you can combine a 4/4 beat with a 3/4 beat they are going to come together after a while.

    What ends, begins again.

    It is you humans who misunderstand that are projecting the image of catastrophe, when in reality it's just a marker, like a birthday.

    The Earth will try and wipe us clean again and again.
    Woopdy doo. Try and survive. Yay. Fun.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    I've done a bit more research concerning the year 2012 and the catastrophy that has been prophesized. I also recall a post on this board or another board that I can't find concernign a planet by the name of Sedna/Nibiru. This planet was suppose to pass through the asteroid belt bringing the asteroids and would pelt the Earth with meteors and this was suppose to be some sort of catastrphic event which will occur in 2012.

    The planet Nibiru comes from translations of ancient Sumerian texts by Zecharia Sitchin in 1976 in which a race known as the Annunaki is suppose to have lived and come to Earth. They then experimented on the inhabitants, which at that time were Homo Erectus, and created modern man which consisted of 80% Homo Erectus DNA and 20% Annunaki DNA in order to create a slave animal that could learn from them.

    This planet has never been discovered. The images on the internet that are suppose to be attributed to it are of other objects. Evidentally all those that think this planet exists say that the government is holding back the information from the public so as not to create mass hysteria.
    The easiest way to harvest materials would be to build a very large civilization of intelligent people and then demand that they spend a very small portion of their available time procuring materials to give you as tribute and/or offerings.

    There is some evidence of ancient tribes who mined large amounts of gold, or platinum, or other valuables to sacrifice to their gods, but it's hard to say if that means anything.

    Platinum is the catalyst for hydrogen fuel cells. It's the only known material that can efficiently break up the hydrogen into protons and electrons. I wonder sometimes if it's just naturally scarce..... or if it was made scarcer than it had to be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Remember all the millennium fuss and panic?

    Us humans just love to exaggerate!

    They've been predicting the end of the world from day one

    The world is doomed to end tomorrow....err.. today?.....well maybe the next day, or in a week or so..........
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2
    " It is you humans who misunderstand that are projecting the image of catastrophe, when in reality it's just a marker, like a birthday. "

    OK Perfect. I can live with that. I enjoyed my last birthday so I believe the next will be OK too. So..what happened the last Mayan birthday 13.000 years ago according to science?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Based on the fact that the end of every Mayan cycle that something has happened (which it did - twice). We logically have to assume that something will happen as accordance with logic. Something big will happen.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Based on the fact that the end of every Mayan cycle that something has happened (which it did - twice). We logically have to assume that something will happen as accordance with logic. Something big will happen.
    I know this is the pseudoscience section, but come on, man, this is ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Based on the fact that the end of every Mayan cycle that something has happened (which it did - twice). We logically have to assume that something will happen as accordance with logic. Something big will happen.
    The Mayans are in the fourth age I believe. Therefor the Mayans believe their calendar has gone through 3 cycles before this. What 3 things have occured at the end of each Mayan calendar cycle?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Based on the fact that the end of every Mayan cycle that something has happened (which it did - twice). We logically have to assume that something will happen as accordance with logic. Something big will happen.
    I know this is the pseudoscience section, but come on, man, this is ridiculous.
    Is it? Is it really? How do you know until that day comes and goes?

    The Mayans are in the fourth age I believe. Therefor the Mayans believe their calendar has gone through 3 cycles before this. What 3 things have occured at the end of each Mayan calendar cycle?
    Well I know that the second cycle, they wound up in a war, or some kind of big disease that nearly crushed their civilisation. And I know that when they completley vanished it was at the time of the end of the third cycle. So If something has happened at the end of two cycles logically something may happen at the end of the fourth. Logically based on those stories. I'm sure those stories are recored in history somewhere.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Junior Zitterbewegung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    217
    SO what the hell makes anybody believe that the year 2012 is something special???????

    I mean just take a look at the starting point of our calender for friggin's sake!!!!

    First of all, there was no year "0". So actually 2011 would be 2012 in the first place. Then let's take a look at the reference point. The birthday of some dubious mystical person. WOW, some setpoint I'd say. And the real DOB for this person is not sure at all. And let's also not forget that mankind is using different calendars with absolute different reference points. The diaperheads have something like 15blablabla (and they even behave more backwards than mideval society in Europe) The Jews are at around 57xx and counting, the Romans had a totally different reference as did the Chinese. I really do not know about Hindus but I'd bet the farm they have some totally different starrting point. So what makes a person with more than half a brain left think that just this year Doomsday comes and the universe will turn upside down or whatever Armageddon might have in store for us. And why not 2002? or 2121? or 2525? or 1999? or 2222? or 6666?? or 2178 or 3141?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Is it? Is it really? How do you know until that day comes and goes?
    Remember 425 that these are the same people that thought that sacrificing a bunch of people would appease their gods and end the drought/famine/disease/kill foes/etc. It's nonsense. Even if something happened to them at the end of each cycle, it probably would have been initiated by themselves as a result of their belief in the cycle, i.e. attacked foes, etc.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Is it? Is it really? How do you know until that day comes and goes?
    Since we don't know what will happen on some specific day in the future, we may as well assume something cataclysmic is going to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by 425
    Well I know that the second cycle, they wound up in a war, or some kind of big disease that nearly crushed their civilisation. And I know that when they completley vanished it was at the time of the end of the third cycle. So If something has happened at the end of two cycles logically something may happen at the end of the fourth. Logically based on those stories. I'm sure those stories are recored in history somewhere.
    Good, you've instilled confidence in me that you have detailed knowledge of Mayan history and, thus, are qualified to make predictions of the future based thereon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I'm not making a prediction. I'm making an assumption on logic.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    One: what's the difference? Two: where's the logic?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    One : An assumption is defined as this:

    An assumption is that you think it could be true, and believe it t be true, but are open to the idea and knowledge that you as the assumer may be wrong. Such as the assumptions of relativity, Einstein assumed them but knew they may be wrong.

    Two: A prediction is defined as this:

    A statement that one devises as to what may happen in the future.

    So I assume that what something said will happen, I don't predict somethign will happen because it was not my idea, and the prediction has already been made. I did not predict something happening in 2012, I assume that something will because someone already made the prediction. And that prediction is based on the fact that something has happened in the past.

    If something happened at the end of every cycle, its logical to assume something will happen at the end of the next one. Its like maths, whats the next logical number? 3-6-9-12-15-?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Let's drop the semantics argument over prediction versus assumption--I'm happy to call whatever you're doing whatever you want it to be called. Rather, I'd like to make the point that what you're doing is highly illogical.

    So, regarding the string of numbers 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, why don't we ask Mr. Sloane, integer sequence collector extraordinaire, what the next term should be? He suggests that any of the following numbers is a good candidate to be the next term in your sequence:

    18, 2, 19, 21, 1, 10, 7, 20, 16

    What's the moral? Just because you see a pattern doesn't mean that your pattern is right.

    Going back to your assumption, you're extrapolating from two data points from ancient history, and you've as much as admitted that you just pulled these events out of your ass:

    I'm sure those stories are recored in history somewhere.
    This is not logic.

    Come on, man, you're better than this sort of silliness. If you want to be a scientist without a piece of paper saying you're one, you're going to have to develop rigor and logic, and you have to shed yourself of this sort of behavior.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Maybe I don't want to be the scientist that everyone believes it to be, maybe I want to be something different and then again maybe I don't. I believe in this story about 2012 because I choose to. Something may happen and then again something may not. Thats all there is to it. The next logical number is only logical to the amount that one person knows, to me for instance my answer is quite limited, but the number 1 to me given my knowledge would seem highly illogical. My next number would be 18, to say one given my knowledge would be illogical, do you see what I mean?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the defensive. This is a pretty silly thing to get into an argument about anyway. So I'm done.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition

    Well I know that the second cycle, they wound up in a war, or some kind of big disease that nearly crushed their civilisation. And I know that when they completley vanished it was at the time of the end of the third cycle. So If something has happened at the end of two cycles logically something may happen at the end of the fourth. Logically based on those stories. I'm sure those stories are recored in history somewhere.
    I believe that the last cycle, according to the Mayans, ended before Mayan civilization began. How could they end up in a war before their even was a Mayan civilization?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Junior Zitterbewegung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    217
    I believe that the last cycle, according to the Mayans, ended before Mayan civilization began. How could they end up in a war before their even was a Mayan civilization?
    And so how did the Mayans know that this cycle ended before their civilisation began??? Read it in the news????
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition

    Well I know that the second cycle, they wound up in a war, or some kind of big disease that nearly crushed their civilisation. And I know that when they completley vanished it was at the time of the end of the third cycle. So If something has happened at the end of two cycles logically something may happen at the end of the fourth. Logically based on those stories. I'm sure those stories are recored in history somewhere.
    I believe that the last cycle, according to the Mayans, ended before Mayan civilization began. How could they end up in a war before their even was a Mayan civilization?
    There is a difference between a cycle we know, and THEIR cycles. They used numbers in 20's, unlike us with 10's. Infact they were far more accurate as a civilisation at prediciting movement of the stars and planets etc. That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitterbewegung
    I believe that the last cycle, according to the Mayans, ended before Mayan civilization began. How could they end up in a war before their even was a Mayan civilization?
    And so how did the Mayans know that this cycle ended before their civilisation began??? Read it in the news????
    Actually no, I read it on a number of websites that stated that the longest Mayan longcount was 400 years and a Mayan age was 13 of these. 13 times 400 is equal to 5200 which then brings us approximately back to the time, from 2012, to the birth of Mayan civilization.

    Now the Mayans used three calendar types. The Tzolk'in, the Haab' and the Long Count. The combination of the Tzolk'in and the Haab' dates formed what is known as calendar round which occured every 52 years. The only date at which the three calendars met were when the longcount had went through 13 cycles. This became known as an age. As stated before the Mayans believed they were in either the fourth or fifth age. Thye believed that the fifth age would be the last.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Oh hell yeah!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Oh hell yeah!
    Hell yeah yeah!

    Go on....kick his ass!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.
    The Mayans are actually very well known for their astronomical observations. They marked on their calendar every time Venus crossed the sky. During these times it is said to be a time of great upheaval. Chiefs and such always tried to war in the time when Venus was in the sky. They also tracked other planets such as Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Oh hell yeah!
    Hell yeah yeah!

    Go on....kick his ass!

    Why the fuck should I do it? If you knew anything about South American history, thats basic knowledge. Your the ones lacking effort.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayans

    Now press ctrl and f and put in 'Mathematics'. You'll see slap bang in there next to their numeric image, that they use bases of 20.

    THANK you very much, get educated, thank YOU. Goodbye.

    Consider YOUR arse kicked.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I live in Bertrand Russells teapot!
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Oh hell yeah!
    Hell yeah yeah!

    Go on....kick his ass!

    Why the fuck should I do it? If you knew anything about South American history, thats basic knowledge. Your the ones lacking effort.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayans

    Now press ctrl and f and put in 'Mathematics'. You'll see slap bang in there next to their numeric image, that they use bases of 20.

    THANK you very much, get educated, thank YOU. Goodbye.

    Consider YOUR arse kicked.
    Calm down Svwillmer

    Less F's and more Y's please.

    We were mucking about, where is your SOH.

    You are quite right. People should do their own research

    P.s - You can kick my ass anytime but it might kick you back
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Junior Zitterbewegung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFluff
    Now the Mayans used three calendar types. The Tzolk'in, the Haab' and the Long Count. The combination of the Tzolk'in and the Haab' dates formed what is known as calendar round which occured every 52 years. The only date at which the three calendars met were when the longcount had went through 13 cycles. This became known as an age. As stated before the Mayans believed they were in either the fourth or fifth age. Thye believed that the fifth age would be the last.

    This does not answer my question. To my knowledge archelogy started in let's say the 17th century but not as the exact science we know. More like: "Hey look there's an old tomb, let's see if there's anything of value in it. The stiff doesn't need it anyway". And there's no evidence Mayans did anything remotely similar. So how - if this "catastrophic event" occurred B-E-F-O-R-E their civilisation began - did they KNOW about it. Question mark!!!

    I did not ask about the three calendar systems they were using and how they were synchronized. That's an interesting tidbit but not to the point.

    Darn internet....everybody and his arsehole brother can come up with some unproven gibberish about some catastrophy in the year umpteenhundredfourandyadda and people with too much time on their hands regurgitate it and it keeps goingandgoingandgoing............
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Forum Professor serpicojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    JRZ
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene
    Quote Originally Posted by serpicojr
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    That is a fact, look it up somehwere.
    You're the one claiming it's a fact, you look it up somewhere.

    You tell him!
    Oh hell yeah!
    Hell yeah yeah!

    Go on....kick his ass!

    Why the fuck should I do it? If you knew anything about South American history, thats basic knowledge. Your the ones lacking effort.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayans

    Now press ctrl and f and put in 'Mathematics'. You'll see slap bang in there next to their numeric image, that they use bases of 20.

    THANK you very much, get educated, thank YOU. Goodbye.

    Consider YOUR arse kicked.
    No, buddy, everyone knows that Mayans used base 20. Clearly I wasn't calling you out on this fact. Recall that you also stated:

    Quote Originally Posted by Many moons ago, 425 Chaotic Requisition
    Infact they were far more accurate as a civilisation at prediciting movement of the stars and planets etc.
    I did not know that in fact the Mayans had more precise techniques for predicting celestial mechanics, nor do I think this is common knowledge. I'd be interested to see your sources.

    Consider yourself face down in the mud?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitterbewegung
    This does not answer my question. To my knowledge archelogy started in let's say the 17th century but not as the exact science we know. More like: "Hey look there's an old tomb, let's see if there's anything of value in it. The stiff doesn't need it anyway". And there's no evidence Mayans did anything remotely similar. So how - if this "catastrophic event" occurred B-E-F-O-R-E their civilisation began - did they KNOW about it. Question mark!!!

    I did not ask about the three calendar systems they were using and how they were synchronized. That's an interesting tidbit but not to the point.

    Darn internet....everybody and his arsehole brother can come up with some unproven gibberish about some catastrophy in the year umpteenhundredfourandyadda and people with too much time on their hands regurgitate it and it keeps goingandgoingandgoing............
    Ok... exactly what catastrophic event are you talking about? Also, their civilization didn't all of pop into existence via some supreme force who decided "Let there be Mayans!" Chances are it was people who came from other area and were descedants of other areas who formed the civilization. I'm fairly certain that they would know about what occured prior to their civilzation if it had been passed on through either word of mouth or through writings. And the dates I gave you are the truth. The last Mayan age ended prior to their Mayan civlization beginning and yes, they believed they were living in the fourth or fifth age depending on what site you read.

    Also I am not the oen saying that some supreme catastrophy occured. I'm one of the oens who are saying it didn't. Perhaps if you want to argue the same point you should be argueing with someone else?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •