Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: astrology base

  1. #1 astrology base 
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I would like some help from an astrologer or an astrology student. I want to clarify that I am quite rational and believe in astrology to only some extent. Yet I have a problem in communicating my thoughts properly sometimes. I have tried all sci&tech had to offer to treat my condition with no results. Please consider my request kindly. Thank you.


    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I want to clarify that I am quite rational and believe in astrology...
    The two are mutually exclusive, yet another contradictory post from parag


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I would like some help from an astrologer or an astrology student.
    I'm sure we can make up some suitable random nonsense. Ask away!

    Let us start by pointing out that, because you were born under the sign of the tortoise with steam iron ascending, you will always be watched over by the blue bird of happiness. However, because you were born indoors, the future's uncertain and the end is always near. [see what I did there].
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Astrology is pure nonsense and you can't believe in it if you really are rational. Pseudoscience.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I would like some help from an astrologer or an astrology student.
    Then posting your request here, The Science Forum, is a poor choice.

    I want to clarify that I am quite rational and believe in astrology to only some extent.
    As has been pointed out already, the first and last parts of that sentence are contradictory. There is no evidence that astrology works. There is also no mechanism by which it could work. And astrologers are in disagreement about what mechanisms they believe are responsible, so they make stuff up. Gravity is often mentioned, but the gravitational pull of a basketball near the birthing mother greatly exceeds that of Libra, so that idea doesn't work. Others are reduced to invoking the old generic "energy" mechanism, but obviously that's just made-up nonsense, too.

    So a belief in astrology is not rational to any extent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    ~ ' tk 421'. Has been very fare and well reasoned., and correct. This is 'thescienceforum.com' You will not find many here willing to discuss astrological prediction. However as you also claim rational views I feel a little more can be said..and you ask we be kindly..
    So... The study of 'Astronomy' was without doubt born of the same 'astrology' you ask of. That the study of all things of the heavens is astronomy. While the star sign aligned with the sun at the time of your birth in some way shifts your character or minds set attitude.. Is not based on any science found. Astrology is a outdated mythology based superstition.. not science.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6
    Don't mind anyone here parag. Astrology hasn't been proven but there's probably more evidence for it then against it. So until there's unmistakable evidence it doesn't exist; any comments against it are meaningless. Well, ignorance truly is bliss for the close minded.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Bull. Shit. No evidence, no effects, no mechanism, no existence. Anyone who claims astrology is "real" is a) ignorant, b) irredeemably stupid or c) making money out of categories a and b.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by bboom View Post
    So until there's unmistakable evidence it doesn't exist; any comments against it are meaningless.
    Great!

    Santa Claus exists!
    So until there is unmistakable evidence he doesn't exist; any comments against him are meaningless.

    Dragons exist!
    So until there is unmistakable evidence they don't exist; any comments against them are meaningless.

    The Tooth Fairy exists!
    So until there is unmistakable evidence she doesn't exist; any comments against her are meaningless.

    Thor exists!
    So until there is unmistakable evidence he doesn't exist; any comments against him are meaningless.

    Honest politicians exist!
    So until there is unmistak.......actually no - that's bollocks.

    To summarise: I find your credulity incredible.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    See the other astrology thread, the guy's just trolling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    See the other astrology thread, the guy's just trolling.
    If he's trolling then he isn't very good at it.
    His posts are quite dull and unimaginative.

    Kids today...they don't know what trolling really is.
    They've never been on 4chan.
    They don't know! They weren't there, man!
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by bboom View Post
    Astrology hasn't been proven but there's probably more evidence for it then against it.
    Actually the evidence for is: none.
    The evidence against is: every test that's ever been done.
    So you're wrong.
    You apparently have severe comprehension problems.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    They've never been on 4chan.
    Those guys invented trolling and continue to evolve it.
    "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."
    President Dwight Eisenhower
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. I NEED someone good at astrology for this.
    By That_Inquisitive_Guy in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2014, 10:07 AM
  2. Way to study Astrology
    By Bipasha Ghosh in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM
  3. astrology
    By nightskyjam in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
  4. Where's the astrology section?
    By Olly in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
  5. Astrology
    By marcusclayman in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •