Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 2 Post By exchemist
  • 1 Post By Sealeaf
  • 1 Post By KALSTER
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox

Thread: Paranormal Activity : We should discuss!!!

  1. #1 Paranormal Activity : We should discuss!!! 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Delhi (Gurgaon), India
    Posts
    34
    hello science buddys
    There is research going on in india about ghost, is they true or not. Is sprities are real or not. The guys involved in research using some gadgets and for sure they are scientific. you can search on internet "Paranormal Activity Detect Equipments" and i found hundred's of instrument. What you think guys is these instrument can detect a ghost or spritie.
    Just write down what people think about ghost in your countries.
    Write your views about paranormal activities.
    Thanks


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Paramvir Jakhar View Post
    There is research going on in india about ghost, is they true or not.

    I do not know, you made that claim, so you have to provide some evidence for that (e.g. a news article).

    Is sprities are real or not.

    Spirits are real. Examples are rum, brandy and whiskey.

    The guys involved in research using some gadgets and for sure they are scientific. you can search on internet "Paranormal Activity Detect Equipments" and i found hundred's of instrument. What you think guys is these instrument can detect a ghost or spritie.

    No.

    Just write down what people think about ghost in your countries.

    Ghost (1990) collected positive ratings when it was released.

    Write your views about paranormal activities.

    Paranormal Activity (2007) could have been an alternative approach to the horror genre (despite being similar to The Blair Witch Project (1999)) ,
    but the production of sequels was superfluous and resulted in mediocre movies with low ratings.


    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; February 25th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Paramvir Jakhar View Post
    hello science buddys
    There is research going on in india about ghost, is they true or not. Is sprities are real or not. The guys involved in research using some gadgets and for sure they are scientific. you can search on internet "Paranormal Activity Detect Equipments" and i found hundred's of instrument. What you think guys is these instrument can detect a ghost or spritie.
    Just write down what people think about ghost in your countries.
    Write your views about paranormal activities.
    Thanks
    People have from time to time done research into claims of ghosts etc, but no reproducible effect has ever been found. Without reproducible effects, you cannot construct a scientific theory.

    That does not of course stop a large number of people from believing in them, but such beliefs do not have a scientific basis.
    KALSTER and DianeG like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    My personal opinion is: first that this is not a thread that belongs in the physics section. Secondly that the only "instument" that reliably detects "ghosts " is a living human brain. This detection shows a very high positive coorelation with stressors to that human brain, particuarly fatigue and less than optimal sensory conditions. That is most ghost stories happen at night and in darkness. Most humans are fatigued at night and most humans do not see very well in darkness.
    But why should the Ghosts care what time it is or how bright the sun is? Theoreticly they should be equally active 24/7.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Moving to Pseudoscience.

    Paramvir Jakhar, the short answer is that numerous attempts have been made to detect "spirits", but no unambiguously positive result has been achieved using properly scientifically rigorous practises and equipment.
    Paramvir Jakhar likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Paramvir Jakhar View Post
    The guys involved in research using some gadgets and for sure they are scientific.
    Why do you think they are scientific?
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Clearly ghosts exist, since people see them. (I have seen two.) Equally clearly there is no substantial evidence indicating they are 'spirits of the departed'. There is abundant evidence to suggest that most of them relate directly or indirectly to the functioning of the human brain. Therefore this thread would be best located in Behaviour and Psychology.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Clearly ghosts exist, since people see them. (I have seen two.) Equally clearly there is no substantial evidence indicating they are 'spirits of the departed'. There is abundant evidence to suggest that most of them relate directly or indirectly to the functioning of the human brain. Therefore this thread would be best located in Behaviour and Psychology.
    In light of the OP "Paranormal Activity Detect Equipments" I disagree. Exploring the psychology of why we perceive things that aren't really outside our brains wasn't the intent.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    The OP is being foolish. We can segue into an intelligent discussion by examining the psychology ghost sightings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    We might also discuss instrments intended to detect Ghosts. How would you calibrate one? The best idea I have is to use the inside of a church during the service. Theoreticly it should be full of spiritual energy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    72
    What you think guys is these instrument can detect a ghost or spritie.
    My guess is that if a ghost manages to affect the electromagnetic area around it, this change could be detected with an EMF meter. However there isn't any scientific proof that supports this.

    Just write down what people think about ghost in your countries.
    Ghosts aren't that popular in Turkey. Many people don't believe in them. But a few years ago, a supposedly pyrokinetic family was all over the Turkish news. If anyone is interested, here is the article:
    Mysterious fires in family house in Siirt spark curiosity - Today's Zaman, your gateway to Turkish daily news
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci-fi guy View Post
    My guess is that if a ghost manages to affect the electromagnetic area around it, this change could be detected with an EMF meter. However there isn't any scientific proof that supports this.

    Wrong instrument. Probably stand a much better chance of detecting a ghost using an MRI, or CT scan of the person's brain seeing it.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci-fi guy View Post
    My guess is that if a ghost manages to affect the electromagnetic area around it, this change could be detected with an EMF meter. However there isn't any scientific proof that supports this.

    Wrong instrument. Probably stand a much better chance of detecting a ghost using an MRI, or CT scan of the person's brain seeing it.
    In that case, wouldn't a fMRI or a PET scan be more effective as they can show real time oxygen and glucose concentrations in different parts of the brain respectively?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Maybe people reporting ghosts and aliens should be tested for temporal lobe epilepsy because there is some (slight?) evidence that temporal epilepsy episodes are related to mystical experiences.
    Religious and mystical experiences as art... [Percept Mot Skills. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

    note that I am not at all sure about Michael Persinger's work and consider his "God Helmet" stuff to be fringe science.

    God helmet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by dan hunter; March 3rd, 2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    6,092
    I wouldn't mind seeing ghosts of dinosaurs. At least then we could really update our knowledge of them.

    Seems like ghosts have a time limit on Earth. What about ghosts of inanimate objects like the Flying Dutchmen? A ghost ship that was seen regularly for a while but since then has faded away.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,045
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    What about ghosts of inanimate objects like the Flying Dutchmen? A ghost ship that was seen regularly for a while but since then has faded away.
    In Allen Steele's Clarke County, Space he made a couple of references to the ghost of the Challenger shuttle (as it exploded).
    Just to make it extra spooky it was only visible from orbit, regardless of weather (and therefore viewing) conditions nothing at all could be seen from the ground.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    6,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    What about ghosts of inanimate objects like the Flying Dutchmen? A ghost ship that was seen regularly for a while but since then has faded away.
    In Allen Steele's Clarke County, Space he made a couple of references to the ghost of the Challenger shuttle (as it exploded).
    Just to make it extra spooky it was only visible from orbit, regardless of weather (and therefore viewing) conditions nothing at all could be seen from the ground.
    He should have made it that giant dinosaur killer asteroid hit, would have been worth training to be an astronaut for a glimpse of that event.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. PArAnormal
    By Gwiyomi17 in forum Science-Fiction and Non-Fiction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 27th, 2013, 07:40 PM
  2. Discussion on the Paranormal.
    By Smitts in forum Links
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
  3. Hoping to discuss things scientific and what not
    By Lothar in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
  4. Paranormal... anyone here have any experiences?
    By huggles in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •