Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 2 Post By Kerling
  • 1 Post By adelady

Thread: Imagine you're self dead, to become a better scientist. {Apatheist-Atheist scientist only)

  1. #1 Imagine you're self dead, to become a better scientist. {Apatheist-Atheist scientist only) 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    I occasionally like to remind myself that life is a machine, I do this by imagining lights out. I put myself away from time and space and physics in a non-defined world of oblivion and static. I am dead. I will always be dead forever...
    Just wanted to say, if you want to be great at being great, See yourself dead and you won't bother with smiling at the local cafe, your habits will change and you will see the world a new and clean of anything that was before. Now go on and work for you're life's goal and remind you're self every other day.

    *Not for normal people, this is for serious, atheist, apatheist types.


    Not really in the mood to write a big giant formal letter to whoever reads this, but yeah go on and read.


    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    When I try to imagine total nothingness, I always end up imagining myself riding Falcor instead. That still count?


    TheObserver likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    When I try to imagine total nothingness, I always end up imagining myself riding Falcor instead. That still count?
    I honestly have no idea what that is, but I'm sure I would get it if I did.
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    See yourself dead and you won't bother with smiling at the local cafe, your habits will change and ,,,,,
    Now I really don't understand this. If you've contemplated your own death (while not being in a life-threatening condition) and you wake up the next morning, aren't you delighted that you have the great good fortune of being alive? You have more reason to smile at the local cafe. Not less.

    Once you add in the enormous odds against ever having been born in the first place - you have even more reason for gratitude and pleasure in the world that gives you life. Just from the mere fact of being rather than not-being.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    See yourself dead and you won't bother with smiling at the local cafe, your habits will change and ,,,,,
    Now I really don't understand this. If you've contemplated your own death (while not being in a life-threatening condition) and you wake up the next morning, aren't you delighted that you have the great good fortune of being alive? You have more reason to smile at the local cafe. Not less.

    Once you add in the enormous odds against ever having been born in the first place - you have even more reason for gratitude and pleasure in the world that gives you life. Just from the mere fact of being rather than not-being.
    Nope, I have more reason to make the world a better place and even more a reason to stop lunatic dictators from bombing family and children. No I'm not the type to feel gratitude and pleasure from being born. I won't thank someone for bringing me the coffee I just ordered, it's their job to bring that coffee to the person ordering it, that's how I feel and believe all should feel about everything. Believe me when I say this, I will do a great service to humanity and that's because I understand and am aware of the facts constantly, of course it's not healthy to live around thinking like this which is why I have to bring harmony in to it or else my cognitive abilities and social abilities as well as numerous essential abilities would falter and I would lose the precious concepts and understandings that brought me to that doom of faltered abilities. The service that my life will bring will be great, for nothing but great or greater is acceptable.

    I sometimes feel that I am doomed already (I'm 17 years old, brought in a house of poverty and uneducation with the internet as my teacher), the task before me is of most importance. It's essential for if I do not, humanity would be doomed forever.
    I could imagine this world, and it is not one of conformity, genderism, religion. It is a world in which the human race builds space elevators, space craft, control and most importantly the search for freedom. (Because freedom is not real, or else you would be a Q from star trek)
    I'm not trying to be self serving, dictating, or didactic, I only wish to be a tool. There should be many like me and I hope we can make humanity a new.

    I have not had enjoyment for a very long time, and don't expect too, don't want happiness, the day I can feel enjoyment is when I know someone will keep doing the work after i'm gone.
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I won't thank someone for bringing me the coffee I just ordered, it's their job to bring that coffee to the person ordering it, that's how I feel and believe all should feel about everything.
    And you're moving towards becoming a fully fledged adult member of society. Regardless of your job, your mindset or your background, your prime goal as a member of many intersecting social groups is to make things work more smoothly - preferably in the direction you favour.

    The way to do that is to have as many people as possible see you as a positive contribution to their little world. Apart from any other consideration, how much more likely are people to take notice of what you say if they already see you positively? How much less likely if they think someone is unpleasant or rude? Even if they're accustomed to what I would see as rudeness, or ingratitude at the least, it doesn't do anything good for a sense of well-being. Not just for the individual in question but for everyone in that workplace. It might be 'just a job' , but that's a lot of hours a week to spend in an unpleasant atmosphere. How calm and friendly and welcoming an atmosphere will such a place be likely to have if every customer is dismissive or rude to all staff, all day.

    (I have to say I find USA manners as portrayed in books and films totally unacceptable. The lack of pleases and thank yous is both obvious and grating to me, I presume because I'm an Australian. Don't know too much about how it is in other places.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I won't thank someone for bringing me the coffee I just ordered, it's their job to bring that coffee to the person ordering it, that's how I feel and believe all should feel about everything.
    And you're moving towards becoming a fully fledged adult member of society. Regardless of your job, your mindset or your background, your prime goal as a member of many intersecting social groups is to make things work more smoothly - preferably in the direction you favour.

    The way to do that is to have as many people as possible see you as a positive contribution to their little world. Apart from any other consideration, how much more likely are people to take notice of what you say if they already see you positively? How much less likely if they think someone is unpleasant or rude? Even if they're accustomed to what I would see as rudeness, or ingratitude at the least, it doesn't do anything good for a sense of well-being. Not just for the individual in question but for everyone in that workplace. It might be 'just a job' , but that's a lot of hours a week to spend in an unpleasant atmosphere. How calm and friendly and welcoming an atmosphere will such a place be likely to have if every customer is dismissive or rude to all staff, all day.

    (I have to say I find USA manners as portrayed in books and films totally unacceptable. The lack of pleases and thank yous is both obvious and grating to me, I presume because I'm an Australian. Don't know too much about how it is in other places.)
    I know, I'm working on that now and for the decades to come. Wasn't going to write my entire history to you ya know. :P
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Kerling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Japith View Post
    I occasionally like to remind myself that life is a machine, I do this by imagining lights out. I put myself away from time and space and physics in a non-defined world of oblivion and static. I am dead. I will always be dead forever... Just wanted to say, if you want to be great at being great, See yourself dead and you won't bother with smiling at the local cafe, your habits will change and you will see the world a new and clean of anything that was before. Now go on and work for you're life's goal and remind you're self every other day. *Not for normal people, this is for serious, atheist, apatheist types.Not really in the mood to write a big giant formal letter to whoever reads this, but yeah go on and read.
    Now, I'm an (or are considered to be) atheist, but not apatheist. And though your apathos might tell you to do so. I don't see any reason why life is better lived dead. That is actually an antithesis. Science shows us so much beauty!
    adelady and Neverfly like this.
    In the information age ignorance is a choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Japith View Post
    I occasionally like to remind myself that life is a machine, I do this by imagining lights out. I put myself away from time and space and physics in a non-defined world of oblivion and static. I am dead. I will always be dead forever... Just wanted to say, if you want to be great at being great, See yourself dead and you won't bother with smiling at the local cafe, your habits will change and you will see the world a new and clean of anything that was before. Now go on and work for you're life's goal and remind you're self every other day. *Not for normal people, this is for serious, atheist, apatheist types.Not really in the mood to write a big giant formal letter to whoever reads this, but yeah go on and read.
    Now, I'm an (or are considered to be) atheist, but not apatheist. And though your apathos might tell you to do so. I don't see any reason why life is better lived dead. That is actually an antithesis. Science shows us so much beauty!
    For science!
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Japith View Post
    *Not for normal people, this is for serious, atheist, apatheist types.
    I don't get the connection between what you have written and atheism, or apatheism. Please explain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Japith View Post
    *Not for normal people, this is for serious, atheist, apatheist types.
    I don't get the connection between what you have written and atheism, or apatheism. Please explain.
    Only the irreligious could be so willing to venture in to this taboo territory of concepts. That concept being the act of venturing in to the secluded. From my knowledge, I wouldn't think any person who is god faring or faring on the basis of spirituality, metaphysics etc, would even be able to consider such seclusion in the philosophical and meaning of life sort of sense. Does that make sense..?
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    From my knowledge, I wouldn't think any person who is god faring or faring on the basis of spirituality, metaphysics etc, would even be able to consider such seclusion in the philosophical and meaning of life sort of sense.
    I wouldn't dismiss all religious people so easily. It's true there are many for whom their religion is not much more than a group of superstitions or, for others, the easy way to get along in a family or community of believers. But it's just as true that there are plenty of atheists whose beliefs about religion and many other things are merely a collection of unthinking family or social conventions - and they also are quite capable of holding deeply silly beliefs in totally irrational, unscientific, illogical, self-contradictory nonsense.

    What you really want are people of a rational, sceptical disposition. If they also manage to hold on to separate, non-logical beliefs that don't interfere with their consideration or analysis of other topics, everybody wins.
    msafwan likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Engr vs Scientist: Scientist talks like very easy to bulid a machine
    By eninja1983 in forum Electrical and Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
  2. Is there a way to identify this scientist?
    By sofasurfer in forum History
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 5th, 2012, 04:15 AM
  3. Artist or scientist
    By Jaropium in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
  4. How to Become a Scientist
    By credo in forum Education
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
  5. Whats the name of this scientist?
    By lifter in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •