Notices
Results 1 to 82 of 82
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange

Thread: M/F hijack of galaxy thread

  1. #1 M/F hijack of galaxy thread 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by emygirl691 View Post
    We all know it is impossible for human kind to go out of our galaxy. So how in the world (no pun intended) do we know the shape of our galaxy, and if there are other galaxies? How do we have photos? Are those photos we have just paintings or something? Is it possible to send satellites out of our galaxy?
    Knowledge is not new, technology is also not new, imagination is not new, as a motter of fact there is nothing new what goes around comes around. I would even suggest that there could be a lot more knowledge on the planet if science could use intuition instead of always trying to use matter. I would also suggest that arrogance is blocking the way to higher knowledge. If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.


    Galaxies can be studied and explaned by looking at the different types of tribes, peoples, societies etc. All the knowledge of our uneverse is here on earth but it has been slow in revealing itself because of human ignorance and arrogance.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.


    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emygirl691 View Post
    We all know it is impossible for human kind to go out of our galaxy. So how in the world (no pun intended) do we know the shape of our galaxy, and if there are other galaxies? How do we have photos? Are those photos we have just paintings or something? Is it possible to send satellites out of our galaxy?
    Knowledge is not new, technology is also not new, imagination is not new, as a motter of fact there is nothing new what goes around comes around. I would even suggest that there could be a lot more knowledge on the planet if science could use intuition instead of always trying to use matter. I would also suggest that arrogance is blocking the way to higher knowledge. If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.


    Galaxies can be studied and explaned by looking at the different types of tribes, peoples, societies etc. All the knowledge of our uneverse is here on earth but it has been slow in revealing itself because of human ignorance and arrogance.
    Take another hit on your bong.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    This may the nearest thing to an accurate statement in your post. But it may be worth clarifying...

    There were several people who also developed parts of relativity: Lorentz, Poincare, Hilbert, etc.

    Einstein (note the spelling) did not steal it and he was the one who pulled all the parts together into a coherent whole.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emygirl691 View Post
    We all know it is impossible for human kind to go out of our galaxy. So how in the world (no pun intended) do we know the shape of our galaxy, and if there are other galaxies? How do we have photos? Are those photos we have just paintings or something? Is it possible to send satellites out of our galaxy?
    Knowledge is not new, technology is also not new, imagination is not new, as a motter of fact there is nothing new what goes around comes around. I would even suggest that there could be a lot more knowledge on the planet if science could use intuition instead of always trying to use matter. I would also suggest that arrogance is blocking the way to higher knowledge. If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.


    Galaxies can be studied and explaned by looking at the different types of tribes, peoples, societies etc. All the knowledge of our uneverse is here on earth but it has been slow in revealing itself because of human ignorance and arrogance.
    Take another hit on your bong.
    Maybe you have to take a hit yourself, or be careful it don't hit you. If you think bong is bad expressing ignorance must be like living in hell.
    Don't try to run, instead look at what I am saying and if you can respond to it do so. If you get lost then I will try to explain. It is sometimes good to have someone looking at ideas from different angles and inject some life into over chewed statements. You have clearly confirmed the type of arrogance I speak of.
    Last edited by Mother/father; July 31st, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    But when a post starts with two obviously untrue statements ("Knowledge is not new, technology is also not new ...") it isn't clear that this "different angle" has any value.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    This may the nearest thing to an accurate statement in your post. But it may be worth clarifying...

    There were several people who also developed parts of relativity: Lorentz, Poincare, Hilbert, etc.

    Einstein (note the spelling) did not steal it and he was the one who pulled all the parts together into a coherent whole.
    Ahh, Mr Strange, I have noticed that western culture takes credit for all and everything that is known in todays world. They refer to old knowledge base from different cultures across the world and claim it to be their own. but I will tell you the universe exsisted and is still exsisting, knowledge is exsisting. Check out Creado Mutwa, and ask him if the knowledge of relativity is new on our planet. I guess you will ask me what university did he attend? and you will tell me if he did not attend an accredited university sanctioned by western culture there is no value to what he says, right?. The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    How do you know Einstein (note spelt correctly)did not steal it?

    What parts of my statements do you not agree with I would like to look at them again from your perspective?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    That is curious. Especially as it is the brightest star in the sky.

    And what does any of that have to do with the theory of relativity?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.
    Have a look at the pyramids and tell me if you know how they moved these huge stone blocks from these far places. Do you know how they did it or what technology they used? Am I showing proof?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Am I showing proof?
    No. Ignorance is not proof.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    That is curious. Especially as it is the brightest star in the sky.

    And what does any of that have to do with the theory of relativity?
    You might say that but they did not have a clue about the other bodies circling around it, I can hardly beleive you did not know that. Science needs proof what you cannot see is not there.

    The thread has taken a slight turn we were talking about Einstein and the relativity theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Am I showing proof?
    No. Ignorance is not proof.
    I guess its game time Mr. Strange.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Am I showing proof?
    No. Ignorance is not proof.
    I guess its game time Mr. Strange.
    Not really. Just because we don't know how something was built does not mean that it must therefore be alien technology (or whatever you want to make up). If you want to prove the existence of some technology, you need positive evidence for it, not just a lack of evidence for anything else. Otherwise your technology has just as much evidence for it as any other suggestion, like flying unicorns.

    And, of course, as we have several plausible hypotheses with some evidence for them, and detailed information about how other ancient structures were built, I don't see any requirements for inventing unknown technology. Do you?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    You might say that but they did not have a clue about the other bodies circling around it
    Who didn't have a clue? And when?

    Who was this 13 year old boy? Who did he tell? And when?

    The thread has taken a slight turn we were talking about Einstein and the relativity theory.
    Actually, the thread was about other galaxies. You dragged relativity into it (for some unknown reason).
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    I think he is referring to the alleged knowledge of Sirius B by the Dogon people, in Mali, who supposedly knew of Sirius B before modern astronomers discovered it. (This is considered to be a hoax, by the way).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    I think he is referring to the alleged knowledge of Sirius B by the Dogon people, in Mali, who supposedly knew of Sirius B before modern astronomers discovered it. (This is considered to be a hoax, by the way).
    That is what I assume too. But I was hoping that he would be a bit more specific about what he was claiming (and where he got the information from).

    Also, not a hoax per se, but not true either.
    Last edited by Strange; July 31st, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spulling
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.
    Have a look at the pyramids and tell me if you know how they moved these huge stone blocks from these far places. Do you know how they did it or what technology they used? Am I showing proof?
    No this is not showing proof, this is "i don't believe it, so something mysterious must have happened". It's not a valid reason to invent fantastical technology that has somehow completely disappeared from the face of the earth.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787



    Sorry, but I couldn't resist..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    I think he is referring to the alleged knowledge of Sirius B by the Dogon people, in Mali, who supposedly knew of Sirius B before modern astronomers discovered it. (This is considered to be a hoax, by the way).
    That is exatly my point, any information coming from other sourses other than the west is considered a hoax. I studied in Germany and there are many referals to said information from Mali. I try not to use too many quotes but rely on information that I can understand for myself. I started out like many of you using other peoples information but I soon found out that many of them are just quoting others without real understanding. Today I make sure I know what I am talking about, it helps to make knowledable people and a knowledgable world.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.
    Have a look at the pyramids and tell me if you know how they moved these huge stone blocks from these far places. Do you know how they did it or what technology they used? Am I showing proof?
    No this is not showing proof, this is "i don't believe it, so something mysterious must have happened". It's not a valid reason to invent fantastical technology that has somehow completely disappeared from the face of the earth.
    Sorry you are missing the point. please follow the thread.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    I think he is referring to the alleged knowledge of Sirius B by the Dogon people, in Mali, who supposedly knew of Sirius B before modern astronomers discovered it. (This is considered to be a hoax, by the way).
    That is what I assume too. But I was hoping that he would be a bit more specific about what he was claiming (and where he got the information from).

    Also, not a hoax per se, but not true either.
    Where did you get your info from?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Am I showing proof?
    No. Ignorance is not proof.
    I guess its game time Mr. Strange.
    Not really. Just because we don't know how something was built does not mean that it must therefore be alien technology (or whatever you want to make up). If you want to prove the existence of some technology, you need positive evidence for it, not just a lack of evidence for anything else. Otherwise your technology has just as much evidence for it as any other suggestion, like flying unicorns.

    And, of course, as we have several plausible hypotheses with some evidence for them, and detailed information about how other ancient structures were built, I don't see any requirements for inventing unknown technology. Do you?
    Do you know of that kind of technology on the planet? If you do then state it. I am not saying western technology cannot get there, but are they there at present? I really think we have come to the end of this particular thread. Time to stop beating the dead horse.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.
    Have a look at the pyramids and tell me if you know how they moved these huge stone blocks from these far places. Do you know how they did it or what technology they used? Am I showing proof?
    No this is not showing proof, this is "i don't believe it, so something mysterious must have happened". It's not a valid reason to invent fantastical technology that has somehow completely disappeared from the face of the earth.
    Sorry you are missing the point. please follow the thread.
    I will note that I am following the thread, and you have yet to provide credible evidence. It has been just "i dont believe it" assertions and nothing more substantive.

    How do you know the Mali story is NOT false?
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    I studied in Germany
    Studied what? Advanced Ganja?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    That is exatly my point, any information coming from other sourses other than the west is considered a hoax. I studied in Germany and there are many referals to said information from Mali. I try not to use too many quotes but rely on information that I can understand for myself. I started out like many of you using other peoples information but I soon found out that many of them are just quoting others without real understanding.
    You do not give the impression that you know what you are talking about. For example, you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    Lets look at this in more detail...

    • You say: "The star Sirius". But this is actually about its fainter companion star. Wrong.
    • You say: "not know to westerners". But the companion star had been known for nearly 100 years before Griaule did his researchers with the Dogon. Wrong.
    • You say: "a small 13 year old boy". But it was actually the Dogon wiseman OgotemmÍli who provided the information. Wrong.
    • You say: "from Uganda". But the Dogon are in Mali. The other side of the continent of Africa (it's a big place). Wrong.
    • You say: "on a beach". But both Uganda and Malia are land-locked. Wrong.


    You score 0%. That is a big fat FAIL.

    Actual information from Griaule's work. A summary is available here: Dogon people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And, not surprisingly, this story turns out to be a combination of wishful thinking, implanted knowledge, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter van Beek
    Though they do speak about sigu tolo [which is what Griaule claimed the Dogon called Sirius] they disagree completely with each other as to which star is meant; for some it is an invisible star that should rise to announce the sigu [festival], for another it is Venus that, through a different position, appears as sigu tolo. All agree, however, that they learned about the star from Griaule.
    (Emphasis added)

    So tell me again why we should take any notice at all of the nonsense you come up with? It is frequently erroneous and never supported by references.

    Today I make sure I know what I am talking about, it helps to make knowledable people and a knowledgable world.
    I don't say this often but: LOL
    KALSTER likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Do you know of that kind of technology on the planet?
    What kind of technology? You are the one making claims of magic non-existent technology. You should be the one providing evidence.

    I really think we have come to the end of this particular thread.
    Why? Because you have been caught out spouting unsupported, and unsupportable, nonsense?

    "Mummy! They are asking for evidence! Make them stop!"
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    945
    [QUOTE=Strange;341065]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I really think we have come to the end of this particular thread.
    Why? Because you have been caught out spouting unsupported, and unsupportable, nonsense?

    "Mummy! They are asking for evidence! Make them stop!"
    This "contest" should have been stopped, some time ago, on the grounds that Mother/father was unable to defend himself/herself.
    I believe the final decision could be termed a technical knockout or TKO for short!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    That is exatly my point, any information coming from other sourses other than the west is considered a hoax. I studied in Germany and there are many referals to said information from Mali. I try not to use too many quotes but rely on information that I can understand for myself. I started out like many of you using other peoples information but I soon found out that many of them are just quoting others without real understanding.
    You do not give the impression that you know what you are talking about. For example, you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    Lets look at this in more detail...
    • You say: "The star Sirius". But this is actually about its fainter companion star. Wrong.
    • You say: "not know to westerners". But the companion star had been known for nearly 100 years before Griaule did his researchers with the Dogon. Wrong.
    • You say: "a small 13 year old boy". But it was actually the Dogon wiseman OgotemmÍli who provided the information. Wrong.
    • You say: "from Uganda". But the Dogon are in Mali. The other side of the continent of Africa (it's a big place). Wrong.
    • You say: "on a beach". But both Uganda and Malia are land-locked. Wrong.
    You score 0%. That is a big fat FAIL.

    Actual information from Griaule's work. A summary is available here: Dogon people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And, not surprisingly, this story turns out to be a combination of wishful thinking, implanted knowledge, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter van Beek
    Though they do speak about sigu tolo [which is what Griaule claimed the Dogon called Sirius] they disagree completely with each other as to which star is meant; for some it is an invisible star that should rise to announce the sigu [festival], for another it is Venus that, through a different position, appears as sigu tolo. All agree, however, that they learned about the star from Griaule.
    (Emphasis added)

    So tell me again why we should take any notice at all of the nonsense you come up with? It is frequently erroneous and never supported by references.

    Today I make sure I know what I am talking about, it helps to make knowledable people and a knowledgable world.
    I don't say this often but: LOL
    Maybe you should know that the Dogon tribe came from the east of Africa and travelled west, some of them are still in Uganda today, they are all over Africa. You do not have proof for all you are saying and you don't know anything about Africa. I don't go around quoting other people but go to these places myself, I use my own brain and gather my knowledge from my own experience. Go and look at some of your documentaries, history channels, and see if you can come up with the truth. I guess you would be hard pressed if I asked you where Mexico was. I bet you just googled some of the info from Africa but you cannot fool me. If truth be told and all your books would be burnt by some fire, you would be lost because you have no experience you quote others to hide the ignorance about planet earth. Take a read from the book called the closing of the American mind.
    Last edited by Mother/father; August 1st, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I studied in Germany
    Studied what? Advanced Ganja?
    I am sure you know that America grows the most Ganja in the world they must have gotten the knowledge from me. You look like you have studied ignorance, I am sure you have a degree in arrogance. I think you need a little Ganja it is good for brain desease.

    Do you know the technology that was used to move those large stone blocks that built the piramids? If you know then say it because I would like to know if you can get over your hang ups and insults.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Maybe you should know that the Dogon tribe came from the east of Africa and travelled west, some of them are still in Uganda today, they are all over Africa.
    I don't see how that is relevant. Unless you have another source for your story? But as you "don't go around quoting other people", I'll just ahve to assume you made it up.

    You do not have proof for all you are saying
    Well, as the source is the work of the anthropologist who brought the story of the Dogon and Sirius back to Europe, that must mean you think the original source is dubious

    I don't go around quoting other people but go to these places myself, I use my own brain and gather my knowledge from my own experience.
    Are you saying that you went to Uganda and were told the story by a 13 year old boy?

    Given the impressive level of ignorance and lack of logic you have shown here, I wouldn't trust you if you told me the sky was blue.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Do you know the technology that was used to move those large stone blocks that built the piramids? If you know then say it because I would like to know if you can get over your hang ups and insults.
    Again, you were the one making claims about the technology used. Maybe you should tell us what that technology was and provide some evidence for it.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    That is exatly my point, any information coming from other sourses other than the west is considered a hoax. I studied in Germany and there are many referals to said information from Mali. I try not to use too many quotes but rely on information that I can understand for myself. I started out like many of you using other peoples information but I soon found out that many of them are just quoting others without real understanding.
    You do not give the impression that you know what you are talking about. For example, you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The star Sirius was not know to westerners untill a small boy 13 from Uganda drew the star system in the sand on a beach and they could not beleive what they were looking at, because they suspected it was there but could not find it.
    Lets look at this in more detail...
    • You say: "The star Sirius". But this is actually about its fainter companion star. Wrong.
    • You say: "not know to westerners". But the companion star had been known for nearly 100 years before Griaule did his researchers with the Dogon. Wrong.
    • You say: "a small 13 year old boy". But it was actually the Dogon wiseman OgotemmÍli who provided the information. Wrong.
    • You say: "from Uganda". But the Dogon are in Mali. The other side of the continent of Africa (it's a big place). Wrong.
    • You say: "on a beach". But both Uganda and Malia are land-locked. Wrong.

    You score 0%. That is a big fat FAIL.

    Actual information from Griaule's work. A summary is available here: Dogon people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And, not surprisingly, this story turns out to be a combination of wishful thinking, implanted knowledge, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter van Beek
    Though they do speak about sigu tolo [which is what Griaule claimed the Dogon called Sirius] they disagree completely with each other as to which star is meant; for some it is an invisible star that should rise to announce the sigu [festival], for another it is Venus that, through a different position, appears as sigu tolo. All agree, however, that they learned about the star from Griaule.
    (Emphasis added)

    So tell me again why we should take any notice at all of the nonsense you come up with? It is frequently erroneous and never supported by references.

    Today I make sure I know what I am talking about, it helps to make knowledable people and a knowledgable world.
    I don't say this often but: LOL
    First let me help you because I see google did not do a good job about educating you about Africa.

    1. The doogons came from the east of Africa and travelled west and they are all over Africa.

    2. You do not know anything about Africa I think you would be hard pressed to say where Mexico is.

    3. I don't go around quoting people who many time are quoting some one else and do not have experience like yourself.

    4. OgotemmÍli gave them the specifics but it started with the boy drawing the star system in the sand. have you ever heard of the sand drawers.

    5. I have travelled to Africa and I know these places because my family is from Africa.

    You say: "The star Sirius". But this is actually about its fainter companion star. Wrong.

    6. If they knew about the brightest star in the sky they should have know about the companion stars, they learnt that from the Dogons.


    I don't say this very often but you should read the book the closing of the American mind. I think if some fire was to burn your books you knowledge would be lost because you can only quote others.
    You do not give the impression that you are educated because of your approach to the topics. You call others fools but only a fool can do that. I may sometimes not express myself to your liking because I am from a different culture, but I am very sure what I say I know. You on the other hand sound like echo.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I studied in Germany
    Studied what? Advanced Ganja?
    OK let me address you because you soud like you studied ignorance and have a degree in arrogance.

    America grows the most Ganja in the world, and yes, I gave them the knowledge. You know what they did with it? they use it to con the world with their pharmaceuticals, because Ganja is in almost every medicine we use today. I think maybe you could use some, it is good for brain desease if you did not know, and helps to calm the nerves when it gets out of hand. You make coming to the science forum a pain because you have not yet learnt curtsey.


    Jamaica is a small Island but we respect people, maybe there is a lesson you could learn here if that is at all possible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    1. The doogons came from the east of Africa and travelled west and they are all over Africa.
    Do you have any evidence for that? I assume not as you don't like to quote other people (you prefer to make stuff up).

    How is it relevant (even if true)? The source of the story was Mali, you attributed it to Uganda.

    2. You do not know anything about Africa I think you would be hard pressed to say where Mexico is.
    Well, I visited Mexico once. So I think I know where it is.

    3. I don't go around quoting people who many time are quoting some one else and do not have experience like yourself.
    I don't know. I just prefer to go to the sources rather than making stuff up. But whatver. If your perfer fiction, so be it.

    4. OgotemmÍli gave them the specifics but it started with the boy drawing the star system in the sand. have you ever heard of the sand drawers.
    Do you have any evidence for this "sand boy"? I assume not as you don't like to quote other people (you prefer to make stuff up).

    5. I have travelled to Africa and I know these places because my family is from Africa.
    How is that relevant? We are talking about the Dogon (supposedly) revealing knowledge of the Sirius star system to a French anthropologist early in the 20th century.

    6. If they knew about the brightest star in the sky they should have know about the companion stars, they learnt that from the Dogons.
    They [the French] did know about the companion stars. They had known about them for about 100 years. They told the Dogon about them. Sheesh.

    I don't say this very often but you should read the book the closing of the American mind.
    Why would I be interested in someone's opinion on American minds, closed or otherwise?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Maybe you should know that the Dogon tribe came from the east of Africa and travelled west, some of them are still in Uganda today, they are all over Africa.
    I don't see how that is relevant. Unless you have another source for your story? But as you "don't go around quoting other people", I'll just ahve to assume you made it up.

    You do not have proof for all you are saying
    Well, as the source is the work of the anthropologist who brought the story of the Dogon and Sirius back to Europe, that must mean you think the original source is dubious

    I don't go around quoting other people but go to these places myself, I use my own brain and gather my knowledge from my own experience.
    Are you saying that you went to Uganda and were told the story by a 13 year old boy?

    Given the impressive level of ignorance and lack of logic you have shown here, I wouldn't trust you if you told me the sky was blue.
    The sky is blue some times, what color is it there? And yes I was told the story about the boy but it came from people not books.

    Well, as the source is the work of the anthropologist who brought the story of the Dogon and Sirius back to Europe, that must mean you think the original source is dubious.

    I think you are dubious, I went there and spoke to the people, I do not know what you understood from your anthropologist if you understood anything at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    The sky is blue some times, what color is it there?
    Grey. Always grey.

    And yes I was told the story about the boy but it came from people not books.
    And you just accepted it? How did you attempt to validate it?

    I went there and spoke to the people, I do not know what you understood from your anthropologist if you understood anything at all.
    I see little value going there now and talking to people who may have leant about this myth and decided to use it to impress visitors. Or they may just have heard garbled versions of the story and believe it themselves. Or they may have learnt astronomy in school and are telling you what they learnt. Did you make any effort to untangle any of those (and other) possibilities? Or do you just believe what you want to believe?

    When I first heard the story, I thought, "wow! that's amazing". Then I though, "almost too good to be true..." So did some more research and, sadly, it is too good to be true.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    226
    This whole discussion with Mother/father seems ultimately pointless. It should've gone no further than his/her ridiculous first post on this thread. I rarely feel negative to anybody on this forum, but this is truly frustrating. I'm just wondering ... Why?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    True. I'm out.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    M/F you have yet to provide any reliable evidence for the veracity of your clams. Please do so soon......
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    MODERATOR WARNING:

    This thread is now be required to be about the original topic, galaxies. Any off topic posts will be moved, or unceremoniously deleted without comment.

    If you want to discuss malcontent dragons orbiting Sirius, start your own thread.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Jamaica is a small Island but we respect people,
    I don't respect ignorance, I don't respect stupidity, I don't respect irrationality.

    So far, you're ahead on all three.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by halorealm View Post
    This whole discussion with Mother/father seems ultimately pointless. It should've gone no further than his/her ridiculous first post on this thread. I rarely feel negative to anybody on this forum, but this is truly frustrating. I'm just wondering ... Why?
    You feel negative towards me because I don't just buy anything anymore it seems you all want to force me to do that. I don't know you and I feel it is normal curtsey even if I am not knowledable to be respectful. Go ahead and feel negative that not bad. I feel that way sometimes. I don't see you complaning abut the negative statements that is being thrown around at me. I think you should try to stop it and give every one a chance no matter what culture.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne View Post
    MODERATOR WARNING:

    This thread is now be required to be about the original topic, galaxies. Any off topic posts will be moved, or unceremoniously deleted without comment.

    If you want to discuss malcontent dragons orbiting Sirius, start your own thread.
    Ah, heck. We might as well go ahead and split it off. I think I'll do that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Jamaica is a small Island but we respect people,
    I don't respect ignorance, I don't respect stupidity, I don't respect irrationality.

    So far, you're ahead on all three.
    All you do is respect books and quotes, I expect I would find ink in your brain and not brain matter. I thought I was going to learn something here but all I find is people who want to insult other people. Not once have I turned to insults even when you think you are making sence, but I will not tollerate people who think the they are so smart and universe belongs to them. I Thank the stars the internet is not tuned to cultures.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    The thing is, books and research papers that folow the evidence are things that can be verified, urban folklore and other similar stories often are quite easily shown to be false when the evidence is actually looked at. Such as the Mali people tale.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    If we could listen to other earth beings experienceses and follow them we would know a lot more about our universes. Older tecnologies have existed before this present one it is even inferior to older ones. Instein is not the only one who identified relativity there has been many. He could have stolen it but he got it from somewhere that you can be sure of.
    Show physical proof of the technologies you are talking of.
    I do not know the superior technology used in the case I mentioned, what I am saying is there were technologies that was used before western culture came into the picture and no one seems to be able to understand it. I am included.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    There is a massive amount of archaeological evidence that show there was no such technology. It seems that you are going for a "I don't understand it, so it must not be true" argument here.

    If there is NO evidence for it why insist that it existed, especially when detailed archaeology shows it wasn't there.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    The thing is, books and research papers that folow the evidence are things that can be verified, urban folklore and other similar stories often are quite easily shown to be false when the evidence is actually looked at. Such as the Mali people tale.
    That might be true but I have read a lot and because I have noticed that if I give proof of information that is coming from other sourses that from western culture I am ridiculed and called a fool. I am not for arguing. In our culture we do not put emphasis on books because we have proven that to transport authentic information down the passage of time you have to do it through images, dance, song and the such. I go around the world talking to people gathering information and personally finding out some of the facts. if I tell you I have personal information you tell me prove it and I have to use western knowledge base to prove it. There has to be some room for personal study.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I do not know the superior technology used in the case I mentioned, what I am saying is there were technologies that was used before western culture came into the picture and no one seems to be able to understand it. I am included.
    So you don't know what this technology was, but you are sure it must have existed? Why?

    We may not know exactly how the pyramids were built, but we do know exactly how many other equally impressive structures were built. We also have detailed records of the workers, how much they were paid, how they were fed, names of individual craftsmen (stonemasons, etc) from when the pyramids were built. No mention there of aliens, time travel, magic or anything else out of the ordinary.

    Also, you were talking about the pyramids. As in Egypt?. Surely that is "western culture"? Or do you have some weird personal definition of "western" as well?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    There is a massive amount of archaeological evidence that show there was no such technology. It seems that you are going for a "I don't understand it, so it must not be true" argument here.

    If there is NO evidence for it why insist that it existed, especially when detailed archaeology shows it wasn't there.
    I am asking the question, do we understand the technology that was used to move these large blocks, can the question be answered. If not then it must be superior. Is that not so.?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    That might be true but I have read a lot and because I have noticed that if I give proof of information that is coming from other sourses that from western culture I am ridiculed and called a fool.
    I doubt that is because you are using sources which are not "western". I have seen a great deal of information from documents and other sources from all around the world used in serious research. None of it has been ridiculed.
    Last edited by Strange; August 1st, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: grammar
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am asking the question, do we understand the technology that was used to move these large blocks, can the question be answered. If not then it must be superior. Is that not so.?
    Of course not. It is just unknown. What sort of logic says that "unknown" = "superior"?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I do not know the superior technology used in the case I mentioned, what I am saying is there were technologies that was used before western culture came into the picture and no one seems to be able to understand it. I am included.
    So you don't know what this technology was, but you are sure it must have existed? Why?

    We may not know exactly how the pyramids were built, but we do know exactly how many other equally impressive structures were built. We also have detailed records of the workers, how much they were paid, how they were fed, names of individual craftsmen (stonemasons, etc) from when the pyramids were built. No mention there of aliens, time travel, magic or anything else out of the ordinary.

    Also, you were talking about the pyramids. As in Egypt?. Surely that is "western culture"? Or do you have some weird personal definition of "western" as well?
    One of the main reason I went around looking for myself was to get the information first hand. I don't want to sound like I'm stuck in a grove but I have been asking this question forever. If we do not know how this almost impossible feat was achieved from a technoligical point of view, was the technology superior? If we cannot, then it must have been before western civilisation appeared.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am asking the question, do we understand the technology that was used to move these large blocks, can the question be answered. If not then it must be superior. Is that not so.?
    Of course not. It is just unknown. What sort of logic says that "unknown" = "superior"?
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    One of the main reason I went around looking for myself was to get the information first hand.
    And did you get any information about this technology?

    And how were you hoping to get this information first hand? Perform your own archaeological dig?

    If we do not know how this almost impossible feat was achieved from a technoligical point of view, was the technology superior?
    Again, just because we don't know doesn't mean it must have been superior.

    Perhaps if you could prove that no possible known technology could do it, then maybe you could invoke some mysterious "superiro" technology. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

    If we cannot, then it must have been before western civilisation appeared.
    We know who built them and when. They left detailed records (although not, as far as we can tell, instructions for building them). Whether you count them as western or not depends how you define that term, I suppose. From my perspective they were definitely western. (They weren't Chinese.)
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Whoa, back up there a moment! Hang on a sec!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I studied in Germany
    Studied what? Advanced Ganja?
    OK let me address you because you soud like you studied ignorance and have a degree in arrogance.

    America grows the most Ganja in the world, and yes, I gave them the knowledge. You know what they did with it? they use it to con the world with their pharmaceuticals, because Ganja is in almost every medicine we use today.
    YOU gave "America" the knowledge of how to grow Ganja? You mean you, personally? How old did you say you were, again?

    Or did you mean you gave them the knowledge of how to grow the most Ganja in the world?

    At any rate, your claim that "Ganja" (or the active ingredient - THC) is in almost every medicine we use today is patently laughable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am asking the question, do we understand the technology that was used to move these large blocks, can the question be answered. If not then it must be superior. Is that not so.?
    Of course not. It is just unknown. What sort of logic says that "unknown" = "superior"?
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    no they were not far too advanced, who made that assertion?? It depends on what structures your talking about, as to how complete our understanding is
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    I have never heard of any math from ancient Egypt (are we still talking about that, it is hard to know with you sometimes) that was "too advanced for those times" or not understood today. Can you be more specific?

    Otherwise this sounds like just yet another thing you have either misunderstood or made up.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Whoa, back up there a moment! Hang on a sec!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I studied in Germany
    Studied what? Advanced Ganja?
    OK let me address you because you soud like you studied ignorance and have a degree in arrogance.

    America grows the most Ganja in the world, and yes, I gave them the knowledge. You know what they did with it? they use it to con the world with their pharmaceuticals, because Ganja is in almost every medicine we use today.
    YOU gave "America" the knowledge of how to grow Ganja? You mean you, personally? How old did you say you were, again?

    Or did you mean you gave them the knowledge of how to grow the most Ganja in the world?

    At any rate, your claim that "Ganja" (or the active ingredient - THC) is in almost every medicine we use today is patently laughable.
    I am a little tired of repeating myself, if you are following the thread you would have noticed where that twist came in about Ganja. I know it came in because I live in Jamaica and every one knows we grow one of the best in the world. Ganja is irrelevant at the moment. You can pick up a lot of information about Ganja and don't ask me to repeat it all the time. I am not asking you about the ingredients in many of the medicines we use I am telling you. Do some research. They have changed the names of many of the ingredient and it has become difficult to find out but you can if you want to. If I am wrong I am wrong.

    Lets get back to the topic,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,002
    Changed the names? BULL Provide actual evidence for that....
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    You feel negative towards me because I don't just buy anything anymore it seems you all want to force me to do that. I don't know you and I feel it is normal curtsey even if I am not knowledable to be respectful. Go ahead and feel negative that not bad. I feel that way sometimes. I don't see you complaning abut the negative statements that is being thrown around at me. I think you should try to stop it and give every one a chance no matter what culture.
    This has nothing to do with anyone's cultural background. Do you think I'm being discriminatory somehow? If anyone, you are the closest one to showing cultural impartialism since you seem to have a problem with the “Western world”... which in my opinion is an obsolete view of the world in today's time.

    Going back to your first post on the galaxies thread, you cited scientists as being arragont for considering matter over intuition. Do you realize that this mindset destroys the whole purpose of the scientific perspective? Do you really think that intuition should be our top priority in trying to understand the world?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    You're the one that derailed your own derailed thread!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    I have never heard of any math from ancient Egypt (are we still talking about that, it is hard to know with you sometimes) that was "too advanced for those times" or not understood today. Can you be more specific?

    Otherwise this sounds like just yet another thing you have either misunderstood or made up.
    Strang, I am sure common sense can help here, maths must have been used to build those piramids. If they were built by those people of that time,(or were they not?) it would be logical to think there were what we call today advanced maths. Please we can get some knowledge out of this if we want instead of running around. We get a lot farther when we are not insulting each other.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by halorealm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    You feel negative towards me because I don't just buy anything anymore it seems you all want to force me to do that. I don't know you and I feel it is normal curtsey even if I am not knowledable to be respectful. Go ahead and feel negative that not bad. I feel that way sometimes. I don't see you complaning abut the negative statements that is being thrown around at me. I think you should try to stop it and give every one a chance no matter what culture.
    This has nothing to do with anyone's cultural background. Do you think I'm being discriminatory somehow? If anyone, you are the closest one to showing cultural impartialism since you seem to have a problem with the “Western world”... which in my opinion is an obsolete view of the world in today's time.

    Going back to your first post on the galaxies thread, you cited scientists as being arragont for considering matter over intuition. Do you realize that this mindset destroys the whole purpose of the scientific perspective? Do you really think that intuition should be our top priority in trying to understand the world?
    There is nothing wrong with science, I am not knocking science, I love science. However I have a brain and I intend to use it, I cannot rely on science alone.

    I am having a problem if I mention western culture, there are lots of good things about every culture, but there are lots of bad things too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    I have never heard of any math from ancient Egypt (are we still talking about that, it is hard to know with you sometimes) that was "too advanced for those times" or not understood today. Can you be more specific?

    Otherwise this sounds like just yet another thing you have either misunderstood or made up.
    The math required is not particularly advanced. The 90 degree angle has been known for millenia. Pyamid building as well, mostly through trial and error and vast manpower resources and the 5 simple machines.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by halorealm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    You feel negative towards me because I don't just buy anything anymore it seems you all want to force me to do that. I don't know you and I feel it is normal curtsey even if I am not knowledable to be respectful. Go ahead and feel negative that not bad. I feel that way sometimes. I don't see you complaning abut the negative statements that is being thrown around at me. I think you should try to stop it and give every one a chance no matter what culture.
    This has nothing to do with anyone's cultural background. Do you think I'm being discriminatory somehow? If anyone, you are the closest one to showing cultural impartialism since you seem to have a problem with the “Western world”... which in my opinion is an obsolete view of the world in today's time.

    Going back to your first post on the galaxies thread, you cited scientists as being arragont for considering matter over intuition. Do you realize that this mindset destroys the whole purpose of the scientific perspective? Do you really think that intuition should be our top priority in trying to understand the world?
    Well things are changing I for one used to just follow, now I am using my own brain and I have developed some questions. You on the other had seem to feel free to say what you want. Intuition, perception, fantasy, spirit is all part of life. I know some things and some things I do not, I am happy I have people whom I can ask if I cannot go any farther but there is no one who knows every thing and I don't think there should be a problem when I try to make my case unless it is important to keep every one stupid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am not asking you about the ingredients in many of the medicines we use I am telling you. Do some research. They have changed the names of many of the ingredient and it has become difficult to find out but you can if you want to.
    That's the trouble, you go round "telling us" all sorts of things which are obviously untrue. I studied chemistry. I know what those ingredients in medicines are. They are not "renamed ganja".

    But no doubt you have your own source of information that you don't want to quote. And my knowledge of chemistry is useless because it came out of a book. Oh no, hang on, half of it was practical.

    If I am wrong I am wrong.
    You are wrong.

    Lets get back to the topic,
    As the topic is "M/F hijack" anything you bring up is on topic!
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There was also maths involved that as I undersatnd it was far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today. Do you know this to be true from your knowledge source? I want to know that is why I am asking these questions.
    I have never heard of any math from ancient Egypt (are we still talking about that, it is hard to know with you sometimes) that was "too advanced for those times" or not understood today. Can you be more specific?

    Otherwise this sounds like just yet another thing you have either misunderstood or made up.
    The math required is not particularly advanced. The 90 degree angle has been known for millenia. Pyamid building as well, mostly through trial and error and vast manpower resources and the 5 simple machines.
    Did ancient Egypt know anything about advanced maths? or are you saying because you do not know it did not exsist?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    It doesn't make any difference since advanced math is not required to build the pyramids. That's an unrelated issue/strawman.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am sure common sense can help here, maths must have been used to build those piramids. If they were built by those people of that time,(or were they not?) it would be logical to think there were what we call today advanced maths. Please we can get some knowledge out of this if we want instead of running around. We get a lot farther when we are not insulting each other.
    Of course maths was used to build the pyramids. And it may have been fairly advanced; certainly they had very good surveying techniques. We have a great deal of knowledge of the maths they used. There are records and text books from the period. I could provide you with some examples of the sort of problems that students in that time had to solve.

    But you said this maths was "far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today". That is clearly not true. The maths was what was known at the time and it is all understood today. Unless you have some examples to the contrary?

    By the way, one reason why the Egyptians had advanced maths, astronomical and calendar making skills is because the Nile floods very regularly at certain seasons. This could be absolutely devastating to their agriculture and farming. Therefore they had to develop the knowledge to predict the floods. (There you go: some knowledge for you!)
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Clearly "advanced" is an ambiguous and relative term. They didn't have what we would consider advanced math (calculus, group theory, etc) but the surveying and calendrical techniques they used were as good as anywhere else in the world.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am not asking you about the ingredients in many of the medicines we use I am telling you. Do some research. They have changed the names of many of the ingredient and it has become difficult to find out but you can if you want to.
    That's the trouble, you go round "telling us" all sorts of things which are obviously untrue. I studied chemistry. I know what those ingredients in medicines are. They are not "renamed ganja".

    But no doubt you have your own source of information that you don't want to quote. And my knowledge of chemistry is useless because it came out of a book. Oh no, hang on, half of it was practical.

    If I am wrong I am wrong.
    You are wrong.

    Lets get back to the topic,
    As the topic is "M/F hijack" anything you bring up is on topic!
    Ok let me give you one medicine that every one knows for the disease Glaucoma, I am sure you know that one. In todays world they use medical marijuana where over 400 indredents are present as they tell me. Google it I am sure they will tell you.

    Oh oh, Slipped from the topic again. Lets go back to the center about the piramids.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    I am sure common sense can help here, maths must have been used to build those piramids. If they were built by those people of that time,(or were they not?) it would be logical to think there were what we call today advanced maths. Please we can get some knowledge out of this if we want instead of running around. We get a lot farther when we are not insulting each other.
    Of course maths was used to build the pyramids. And it may have been fairly advanced; certainly they had very good surveying techniques. We have a great deal of knowledge of the maths they used. There are records and text books from the period. I could provide you with some examples of the sort of problems that students in that time had to solve.

    But you said this maths was "far too advanced for those times. it is still not undrstood today". That is clearly not true. The maths was what was known at the time and it is all understood today. Unless you have some examples to the contrary?

    By the way, one reason why the Egyptians had advanced maths, astronomical and calendar making skills is because the Nile floods very regularly at certain seasons. This could be absolutely devastating to their agriculture and farming. Therefore they had to develop the knowledge to predict the floods. (There you go: some knowledge for you!)
    Its a nice feeling to know I am not compleatly GongbosickThe information about Egyptian advanced maths is coming from the internet. I am not a mathematician and I will not question your proffession, I still have enough left in me to respest you in those terms.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There is nothing wrong with science, I am not knocking science, I love science. However I have a brain and I intend to use it, I cannot rely on science alone.
    Okay. You're dealing with a lot of talk right now. Sit back, breathe deep, pause ... now think. What is the message you're trying to convey? You have brought up Western culture, scientific methodology, relativity, ganga, pyramids, among other things. Everything in your discussion has split off into several separate side topics. There is no apparent coherent message in this, so it all seems pointless. I want to contribute, but at the same time I don't want to feel like it's all pointless. So, what are you trying to say?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Clearly "advanced" is an ambiguous and relative term. They didn't have what we would consider advanced math (calculus, group theory, etc) but the surveying and calendrical techniques they used were as good as anywhere else in the world.
    One of the main one I can put my hands on is geometry. The geometrical formulars they used is considered advanced maths.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Ok let me give you one medicine that every one knows for the disease Glaucoma, I am sure you know that one.
    There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of drugs used to treat glaucoma. Which one are you talking about? None of them (as far as I know) are based on marijuana.

    In todays world they use medical marijuana where over 400 indredents are present as they tell me.
    I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Yes, there is some evidence that marijuana can reduce pressure in the eye. It may be that there are some places where marijuana can be prescribed for this. But it is not standard treatment.

    As far as I know there are not (yet) any drugs available based on this. And there are not likely to be for some time as the USA and most European countries make doing any research extremely difficult. Which is absolutely idiotic, of course.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    One of the main one I can put my hands on is geometry. The geometrical formulars they used is considered advanced maths.
    Yes, advanced for the time, maybe.

    But nothing that was "too advanced for those times" or not understood today.

    So, no inexplicable maths and no alien technology. What was your point again?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by halorealm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    There is nothing wrong with science, I am not knocking science, I love science. However I have a brain and I intend to use it, I cannot rely on science alone.
    Okay. You're dealing with a lot of talk right now. Sit back, breathe deep, pause ... now think. What is the message you're trying to convey? You have brought up Western culture, scientific methodology, relativity, ganga, pyramids, among other things. Everything in your discussion has split off into several separate side topics. There is no apparent coherent message in this, so it all seems pointless. I want to contribute, but at the same time I don't want to feel like it's all pointless. So, what are you trying to say?
    Yes, I agree with you we have come a far way from the original topic, and it seems illogical to go back, however I have learnt quite a bit, be it on the topic or not. I am very pleased that we have calmed ourselves and have moved on, this is an improvement in the quest to better our communication skills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Ok let me give you one medicine that every one knows for the disease Glaucoma, I am sure you know that one.
    There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of drugs used to treat glaucoma. Which one are you talking about? None of them (as far as I know) are based on marijuana.

    In todays world they use medical marijuana where over 400 indredents are present as they tell me.
    I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Yes, there is some evidence that marijuana can reduce pressure in the eye. It may be that there are some places where marijuana can be prescribed for this. But it is not standard treatment.

    As far as I know there are not (yet) any drugs available based on this. And there are not likely to be for some time as the USA and most European countries make doing any research extremely difficult. Which is absolutely idiotic, of course.
    Strange I know only a little about medicine, I am not going to challenge you, I know from experience that it worked because I have used it for my self and others.

    lets move on I thank you for the journey I have learn something and that is important to me, although you find me difficult. Ha Ha Ha.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halorealm View Post
    Okay. You're dealing with a lot of talk right now. Sit back, breathe deep, pause ... now think. What is the message you're trying to convey? You have brought up Western culture, scientific methodology, relativity, ganga, pyramids, among other things. Everything in your discussion has split off into several separate side topics. There is no apparent coherent message in this, so it all seems pointless. I want to contribute, but at the same time I don't want to feel like it's all pointless. So, what are you trying to say?
    Yes, I agree with you we have come a far way from the original topic, and it seems illogical to go back, however I have learnt quite a bit, be it on the topic or not. I am very pleased that we have calmed ourselves and have moved on, this is an improvement in the quest to better our communication skills.
    Okay then. This is no longer a matter of hijacking someone else's thread; this is your thread now. If multiple small discussions is what you want, so be it. Just make sure you really learn from this. It's easy to get frustrated when you're trying to prove a point and the instigator doesn't actually care to take in the response, as is done by so frequently on this forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother/father View Post
    One of the main one I can put my hands on is geometry. The geometrical formulars they used is considered advanced maths.
    Remember the assertion you made when we started this topic. Unless I misunderstood your post, you claimed today's technology/knowledge was inferior to those of ancient civilizations. The geometry involved in the building of the pyramids is no where near the advanced mathematics of today ... and I mean no where near it.

    I'm no expert on the history of engineering, but I have watched several documentaries about this subject. None of the math was very complicated, even for its time. The ancient Babylonians knew about the quadratitic formula. That's somewhat advanced in the area of elementary algebra. But all you need to know to make a pyramid is how to make a 90 degree angle. And that only takes a few tools and very fundamental, basic geometric knowledge. From there, it's a lot of manpower, raw materials, and years of experience in stone masonry.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    All you do is respect books and quotes, I expect I would find ink in your brain and not brain matter.
    Every time I see a stament like this from a crank, it says to me 'I flunked out', or alternately, 'I never had any education'.

    Knowledge really does fucking matter. If you don't have any, get some.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy Simulator
    By HexHammer in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM
  2. galaxy
    By parag1973 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
  3. our galaxy
    By lavender in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
  4. How does a galaxy die?
    By Quantime in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
  5. Life in the Galaxy.
    By Halliday in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •