Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Janus
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By tk421
  • 2 Post By stander-j
  • 1 Post By Harold14370
  • 3 Post By Strange

Thread: Philadelphia Experiment

  1. #1 Philadelphia Experiment 
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Was the Philadelphia Experiment real or fiction?

    From what I can disern this was another name for a secret project also called Project Rainbow, which 'from reports' was an experiment during the second world war to cloak the US warship the USS Eldridge.
    It's been suggested that the experiment was allegedly based on an aspect of the unified field theory proposed by Einstein.


    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,172
    There is no factual evidence that this experiment ever happened. In fact, there is evidence that explicitly contradicts the popular stories surrounding the Philadelphia Experiment, e.g. the fact that the USS Eldridge, on the day in question, was not in Philadelphia at all, but on a voyage to the Bahamas.
    From a scientific point of view - Einstein never completed his "Unified Field Theory", and even if he did, light rays bent by magnetic fields are not consistent with Maxwell's equations, unless of course the US military has access to a portable black hole...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,070
    As with a lot of legends, this one might have started from a kernel of truth. The US navy used to put their ships through a process known as "degaussing". It was used to change the magnetic field of the ship so that it would be undetected by the magnetic mines used by the Germans. This could be construed as "cloaking" the ships from the mines. It is possible that this was misconstrued as trying to make the ship "invisible" giving birth to the legend.
    msafwan likes this.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    I wondered at any truth in this ever since I saw the film, I think the whole idea is interesting and it seems to have become quite popular. But I do find it far fetched that back in 43 the americans had technology to make anything invisible never mind a warship. I guess though you have partially answered the point that I find the most interesting that is how if the story is fiction did get to be so popular and where and why did it start in the first place.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    The stated purpose for the experiment was to make the ship Radar Invisible... Not visually invisible... Supposedly the visual dissapearance was an unexpected side effect... As for the truth of it and the stories of men being merged with the steel of the ship etc. I seriously doubt it happened. If such a disaster had occured the cover-up would have been that the ship was sunk on maneuvers. Not that the Eldridge Was on a cruise in the Tropics.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,091
    I think it's a great story and I enjoyed reading about it. I think if half of it was true, we would surely see some of this technology surfacing by now. It sounds to good to just shelve it.

    I am a proponent of the governments being given too much credit for secret technology that is awe-inspiring. Also knowledge of ET's etc that is supposedly hidden. I don't think they are that clever.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hi i am new here, as for the experement it was true, tesla, einstein, and a lot more were involved in this. The ship in question did not end up in Greece, this part is untrue, the ship was pulsed using large coils much the same as degaussing coils, using over 1000 tubes it was pulsed and vanished at the water line, with tragic results....more to follow....Alan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,531
    Quote Originally Posted by phasaedout View Post
    Hi i am new here, as for the experement it was true
    From the eternal wisdom of wikipedia:
    Quote Originally Posted by WP
    The story is widely regarded as a hoax. The U.S. Navy maintains that no such experiment was ever conducted, and details of the story contradict well-established facts about the Eldridge itself, as well as the known laws of physics.
    ...
    Research into the supposed experiment has revealed many contradictions and inconsistencies in the accounts. No scientific support for the described phenomena or the purported events has surfaced.
    So it would appear you are wrong. You will need some pretty convincing evidence. (And how come you have that evidence but no one else does?)

    Quote Originally Posted by WP
    However, the story has captured imaginations of people in conspiracy theory circles
    Don't be that guy.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,172
    tesla, einstein, and a lot more were involved in this.
    Nikola Tesla wasn't even alive when Project Rainbow was supposedly under way ( Oct 1943 ), and Einstein never completed his Unified Field Theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,680
    Quote Originally Posted by phasaedout View Post
    the ship was pulsed using large coils much the same as degaussing coils, using over 1000 tubes it was pulsed and vanished at the water line, with tragic results....more to follow....Alan.
    While it is untrue (i.e. it was an lie) that the ship vanished, it IS true that there were tragic results.
    Those "results" being vast numbers of idiots who think that something weird and/ or inexplicable happened at Philadelphia.
    PhDemon likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    tesla, einstein, and a lot more were involved in this.
    Nikola Tesla wasn't even alive when Project Rainbow was supposedly under way ( Oct 1943 ), and Einstein never completed his Unified Field Theory.
    Oh, but reports of Tesla's death were just part of the Government's Dark Disinformation campaign. He was actually rejuvenated by taking a quick trip through a portable wormhole that he designed, using Einstein's UFT (claims of Einstein's failure are also part of the disinfo campaign; the finished manuscript can be found in the same warehouse that holds the Lost Ark, as seen at the end of Spielberg's film (which, by the way, is actually a documentary cleverly masquerading as entertainment)).
    Markus Hanke and RedPanda like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    RedPanda and Neverfly like this.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    It's about time to move the thread to pseudoscience.
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    885
    is this about the diary of a marine during ww2?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    No curious, it is about a ship that purportedly vanished and reappeared elsewhere in a very short amount of time. It's largely regarded as a hoax, but.....then again......no, it couldn't be, Houdini was dead at that time.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    No curious, it is about a ship that purportedly vanished and reappeared elsewhere in a very short amount of time. It's largely regarded as a hoax, but.....then again......no, it couldn't be, Houdini was dead at that time.
    Or was he dead at that time?
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    It's about time to move the thread to pseudoscience.
    Yes it is perhaps a little embarrassing looking at some of my earlier threads.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,531
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    No curious, it is about a ship that purportedly vanished and reappeared elsewhere in a very short amount of time. It's largely regarded as a hoax, but.....then again......no, it couldn't be, Houdini was dead at that time.
    Or was he dead at that time?
    Have you noticed that you never see Houdini and Tesla together. One of them leaves the room and few minutes later the other one walks in ...
    stander-j, sculptor and Neverfly like this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. The Philadelphia Experiment, what supposedly happened?
    By ilovebender.com in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
  2. The Philadelphia experiment
    By bradford28 in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
  3. Einstein & Tesla involved in The Philadelphia Experiment
    By Brad Watson in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2010, 04:51 AM
  4. The Philadelphia Experiment and Area 51
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Military Technology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: December 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
  5. The philadelphia experiment
    By Boy Genius in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •