Notices
Results 1 to 53 of 53
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 2 Post By Lynx_Fox

Thread: The Theory of Everything

  1. #1 The Theory of Everything 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Hey folks,

    I posted my work in the Math forum, and they spontaneously combusted because they didn't take the time to read it carefully. I've written it in plain language, so it's readable by everyone.

    ESP + Schizophrenia + Cybernetics - Parapsychology and alternative medicine forums of mind-energy.net

    Criticism is good and necessary. However, negativity is unproductive.

    Enjoy.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Senior TheObserver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    351
    Again I would like to ask, what is the fundamental theorem of logic? Your article doesn't seem to address this. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just having trouble seeing where your article discusses it.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Hello TheObserver,

    It's my fault for bombarding my audience with too much information. Perhaps a dialogue would be sensible?

    I invite you to review each paragraph one at a time. I would be happy to discuss each part.

    Also, my e-mail is davidspencer@my.unt.edu if you would prefer that route.

    Sincerely,
    Dave
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior TheObserver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    351
    And again with the misleading title. Your "theory of everything" as far as I can tell is just a theory about schizophrenia and a bunch of unsupported statements about aliens like
    "Most people currently (in 2012) believe that aliens will voyage through Space
    in a mechanical spaceship. This may be true for lower ranked civilizations
    (like humanity), but higher ranked civilizations can move freely through
    the depths of space without such vessels."
    I've never met anybody who thought this.

    I always wondered WHY such an organized and intelligent country like Germany committed horrific acts of violence during World War II. WHY did
    Nazi Germany have such an irrational hatred toward the Jews?

    The Aryans are a race, but they're not the master race. They are merely workers who were being manipulated by the ET's.
    I can imagine there are a lot of people very offended by this statement. Do you really need aliens to explain why people can commit horrible acts?

    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Hello Observer,

    I'll tell a true story about myself. After 9/11, my combat service in Iraq, two visits to Israel/Palestine, and a study abroad in Tunisia, I developed a prejudice toward Muslims and a racism toward Middle Easterners.

    After I studied the field of Cybernetics, I now believe I have a reason to explain "irrational hatred."

    Anyway, I may be totally deluded, but my ignorance and hate has been corrected.

    Dave
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Senior TheObserver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    351
    Well thats wonderful.

    I've read your exposition over. I'm a bit unclear on what the fundamental theorem of logic is. It seemed important to your arguments but I didn't seem to catch it. Could you give me the statement of the theorem?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Basically, the only "proof" is that there isn't any proof. The Scientific Community has created a system...and it will take us very far, but it will get us ever so very close, without reaching the ultimate.

    f(x) = 1/x
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Senior TheObserver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    351
    Yes I'm quite familiar with the function thank you. Otherwise, I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Is it the responsibility of the Poet to be understood by the Audience? Or is it the responsibility of the Audience to understand the Poem?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    And again with the misleading title. Your "theory of everything" as far as I can tell is just a theory about schizophrenia and a bunch of unsupported statements about aliens like
    "Most people currently (in 2012) believe that aliens will voyage through Space
    in a mechanical spaceship. This may be true for lower ranked civilizations
    (like humanity), but higher ranked civilizations can move freely through
    the depths of space without such vessels."
    I've never met anybody who thought this.


    I always wondered WHY such an organized and intelligent country like Germany committed horrific acts of violence during World War II. WHY did
    Nazi Germany have such an irrational hatred toward the Jews?

    The Aryans are a race, but they're not the master race. They are merely workers who were being manipulated by the ET's.
    I can imagine there are a lot of people very offended by this statement. Do you really need aliens to explain why people can commit horrible acts?

    I know what he said could be very offensive... I feel terribly guilty however because I have found all this reading material a wonderful pick-me-up. Who would have thought that otherwise horrific atrocities could be made almost comedic?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Criticism is good and necessary. However, negativity is unproductive.
    So you only want positive comments, not negative? That rather limits what I can say.

    The most positive thing I can say: it is very imaginative.

    It is speculative psychology, at best, or possibly just metaphysical speculation. It has zero science content (i.e. evidence-based and tested data) and makes no useful predictions.

    There is no evidence presented for the claims of ET, etc. So just more speculation.

    It doesn't appear to have anything to do with a theory of everything. So I don't really see the point.
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Is it the responsibility of the Poet to be understood by the Audience? Or is it the responsibility of the Audience to understand the Poem?
    I think it is the prerogative of the audience to make a run for it if the poet talks garbage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    @ Strange. Your insolence amuses me. I will explain why you defy clear logic:

    Even if we're presented with new and true information, we will resist...if it conflicts with our current beliefs.

    Our "denial stage" serves to protect us from potentially negative influences.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Markus Hanke, I perceive you to be a coward and a fool. Just to set the record straight.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Pseudoscience. It amazes me that there are really people that believe this kind of nonsense. Yes Slumpnasty, I'm talking about you.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Anyway,

    I have high blood pressure, and my Lady wants me to calm down and join her.

    Have a good rest. You will need it if I return.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    @ Strange. Your insolence amuses me. I will explain why you defy clear logic:
    I was trying to be polite. It would have been seriously insulting if I told you what I really think.

    And you have presented no logic (clear or otherwise).

    Even if we're presented with new and true information, we will resist...if it conflicts with our current beliefs.
    So you are one of those deluded people that thinks that anyone who doesn't agree with you is in denial (or hasn't read / understood, or has been brainwashed or is part of the conspiracy or ...).

    If you presented any evidence instead of just your personal speculation and beliefs, then there might be something to consider and discuss. But, as it is, it appears to be valueless pontificating.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Markus Hanke, I perceive you to be a coward and a fool. Just to set the record straight.
    Your perceptions are on the same level as the blog in your OP - meaningless word salad. If pathetic attempts at insults and name calling - as in the above - are the best you can do, then I question your justification for being on this forum in the first place.
    Waste of time ?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Senior TheObserver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Is it the responsibility of the Poet to be understood by the Audience? Or is it the responsibility of the Audience to understand the Poem?
    This isn't poetry dude. It's science. Big difference. And it's your responsibility actually by the way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Is it the responsibility of the Poet to be understood by the Audience? Or is it the responsibility of the Audience to understand the Poem?
    It is your responsibility to make yourself clear. So far? FAIL.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    You really have to update this part:
    Cern: — have recorded sub – atomic particles, known as neutrinos, travelling faster than the speed of light.
    It was a bad fiber optic connector. Haven't you heard? I am sure a lot of crackpots will be very disappointed.
    I do not appreciate your attempt to circumvent moderator action by reposting something that was moved to trash. Don't do that again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Is it the responsibility of the Poet to be understood by the Audience? Or is it the responsibility of the Audience to understand the Poem?
    It is your responsibility to make yourself clear. So far? FAIL.
    Yes, big fail. Huge. MASSIVE in fact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Hey folks,

    I posted my work in the Math forum, and they spontaneously combusted because they didn't take the time to read it carefully. I've written it in plain language, so it's readable by everyone.

    ESP + Schizophrenia + Cybernetics - Parapsychology and alternative medicine forums of mind-energy.net

    Criticism is good and necessary. However, negativity is unproductive.

    Enjoy.


    I can't see this as a theory of everything. As an astrophysicist, one prerequisite for a TOE is a proposition concerning the fundamental evolution of the universe from the first instant. It doesn't need to be mainstream, as that is a major falacy and pitfall many young or mid-life scientific minds seem to become entrapped within. It does, however, need a foundation for it to be a theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)


    Here. Although this thread is not titled correctly, this subject may relate to what you are proposing about schizophrenia.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Criticism is good and necessary. However, negativity is unproductive.
    So you only want positive comments, not negative? That rather limits what I can say.

    The most positive thing I can say: it is very imaginative.

    It is speculative psychology, at best, or possibly just metaphysical speculation. It has zero science content (i.e. evidence-based and tested data) and makes no useful predictions.

    There is no evidence presented for the claims of ET, etc. So just more speculation.

    It doesn't appear to have anything to do with a theory of everything. So I don't really see the point.
    I think, Strange, he is meaning he doesn't want people to insult him.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    I think, Strange, he is meaning he doesn't want people to insult him.
    Except that he has made clear that he considers any disagreement or negative comment as insolence and insulting. He just wants people to accept what he says without criticism. He has closed his mind to any possibility of discussion or debate.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    I think, Strange, he is meaning he doesn't want people to insult him.
    Except that he has made clear that he considers any disagreement or negative comment as insolence and insulting. He just wants people to accept what he says without criticism. He has closed his mind to any possibility of discussion or debate.

    Maybe I missed something. Has he said that exactly? Another issue, is "What country is he posting from?" The language barrier often can be misinterpretted as something other than what was intended. Could you quote what defines TOTAL rejection of input, (naturally we would both beg to offer some difference to his opinion. )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    Maybe I missed something. Has he said that exactly?
    Well, my (not unreasonable) description of the linked article being unsupported speculation about schizophrenia and aliens rather than science was described as "insolent", just as one example.

    Another issue, is "What country is he posting from?"
    Or, what planet?

    Could you quote what defines TOTAL rejection of input, (naturally we would both beg to offer some difference to his opinion. )
    Perhaps you could point out where (in any of his threads) he has said, "that is a fair criticism; it is not so much a 'theory of everything' as my personal speculation on psychology and ET"?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    Maybe I missed something. Has he said that exactly?
    Well, my (not unreasonable) description of the linked article being unsupported speculation about schizophrenia and aliens rather than science was described as "insolent", just as one example.

    Another issue, is "What country is he posting from?"
    Or, what planet?

    Could you quote what defines TOTAL rejection of input, (naturally we would both beg to offer some difference to his opinion. )
    Perhaps you could point out where (in any of his threads) he has said, "that is a fair criticism; it is not so much a 'theory of everything' as my personal speculation on psychology and ET"?
    I really couldn't, Strange. I've just begun to explore this forum, so I rely on others to point things out a bit. I asked about the country issue because of the language barrier syndrome we all hope to diminish the\rough the net. Also some people are sensitive. A question that comes to mind is "Has Slumpnasty been diagnosed as schizophrenic?" If so he would be defensive about that and likely want to find a "workaround" solution to the diagnosis. Most schizophrenics stay in denial their whole lives.

    I think I see his point in all of it though. He wants to say that schizophrenia is not a disorder but simply another norm. He could have some validity in his argument, but he needs to purvey it in a more organized manner. I've brought up in other forums how this relates to Dr. Rick Strassman's "Spirit Molecule" study. People who have dreams or even "wide awake visions," or perhaps daydreams, are consistently labeled as crazy by those who cannot share such an experience. Artists especially see things differently and, if courageous, paint what they see.

    Yes, this is pseudo-science, because it is far outside the mainstream, even beyond the fringe of mainstream phenomena. It is sometimes difficult to discuss an idea that is new, especially if it conflicts with the "known." Anything that is "unknown" generates a fear in the ones who have difficulty understanding it, or, as he mentioned, leave out important aspects of the unknown's ideal. If the unknown could cut off our arm, potentially, it is healthy to fear it. Nothing on the net can cut off our arm, so it is unhealthy to react to a new idea in fear.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Who is reacting in fear? Why would we fear what he is saying? Science is all about discovering new things according to the scientific method. There is no fear there. His ramblings on the other hand is nonsense.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Criticism is good and necessary. However, negativity is unproductive.
    So you only want positive comments, not negative? That rather limits what I can say.

    The most positive thing I can say: it is very imaginative.

    It is speculative psychology, at best, or possibly just metaphysical speculation. It has zero science content (i.e. evidence-based and tested data) and makes no useful predictions.

    There is no evidence presented for the claims of ET, etc. So just more speculation.

    It doesn't appear to have anything to do with a theory of everything. So I don't really see the point.
    You know, I actually believe in ET - I believe we have been visited, but the OP is simply remarkable and far too incredible in it's statements. The logic is completely all over the place. I almost feel sorry for the OP, as they seem to be findiing it difficult also expressing coherent relationships which builds an arguement.

    Needless to say, one does not merely walk into Mordor and return with a theory of everything. It will take extensive research, knowledge and luck for it is most likely going to be a theory only a handful will understand.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    He wants to say that schizophrenia is not a disorder but simply another norm. He could have some validity in his argument, but he needs to purvey it in a more organized manner.
    That may well be the case. But why present it as the "Theory of Everything" or "The Fundamental Theorem of Logic" or "How to divde by Zero". Why not just say, "here are my ideas on schizophrenia".

    Anything that is "unknown" generates a fear in the ones who have difficulty understanding it
    I'm sorry but that is just as daft as those who say that they cannot get anyone to accept their lunatic pseudo-science "theory" because there is a conspiracy, or because scientists are closed-minded, or because they didn't go the right school, or ....

    If an idea is wrong, it is just wrong. (Actually, most pseudo-science ideas are not even wrong, they are meaningless babble.)

    If an idea is potentially right and novel, then that is exciting, not scary.

    Note, for example, all the discussion of possible faster-then-light neutrinos. Did you hear anyone say, "oh noes, it can't be true, it is too scary"? No. Because this is science (it was based on evidence) the reaction was to either suggest reasons why neutrinos might travel faster than light or why the measurements might be wrong.

    People who come along and say that this is evidence in support of their theory that the universe is made of hyperdimensional sentient elastic bands will still be told they are talking nonsense. (And not out of fear.)
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    [I think I see his point in all of it though. He wants to say that schizophrenia is not a disorder but simply another norm.
    No, there really is such thing as mental illness. You see these people wandering the streets homeless. They can't take care of themselves.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Geometrogenesis View Post
    You know, I actually believe in ET - I believe we have been visited, but the OP is simply remarkable and far too incredible in it's statements. The logic is completely all over the place.
    If you see any logic in it at all, then perhaps you should examine your own house
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Hey folks, I've browsed your comments, and I've learned a lot. Even though I claim to be a teacher, I am always a student. My thread at the suggested URL has been posted for 3 weeks, and there has been only one response beside myself...Odd? I'm willing to have a dialogue, but only two people have attempted this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    Hey folks, I've browsed your comments, and I've learned a lot. Even though I claim to be a teacher, I am always a student. My thread at the suggested URL has been posted for 3 weeks, and there has been only one response beside myself...Odd? I'm willing to have a dialogue, but only two people have attempted this.
    Alright, I'm going to humour you - but only if you'll humour me. To paraphrase what I think I read, I'm going to use a collection of 'mantras', if you will (I really hope somebody appreciates the subtle joke in calling them mantras).

    Yes-No, Yes-No, Yes-No (Shades of Grey) ie: Just like a computer's grey, millions of little Blacks and Whites (Yes and No)
    Everything is, Everthing is not.
    Everything is correct, but only sometimes.
    This is that, and that is this.
    It's all a part of the Cosmic Joke (which never existed in the first place)

    ^ Am relatively well along the lines of your proposed TOE?
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    No response, slump?
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Well, I've lost interest now. Where I was planning on going with this is the following:

    Slumpnasty seems to have a 'theory' that he believes is true. The problem is though, he can only give examples that vaguely resemble what his theory is supposed to be. He can't actually outright say what it is, because he isn't actually capable of doing that, as there doesn't appear to be any arrangement of words that can outline the theory. As a result, we're supposed to read between the lines. Even though he knows the 'theory', believes in the theory, and get's the theory, he's actually incapable of giving an outright describer for it. I'd assume this is because the theory involves schizophrenics being the beginning of psychics, how would he be able to describe something that he claims has just begun only recently.

    In my opinion, attempting to show others a 'theory' that he himself is only beginning to understand is somewhat useless. Assuming he actually is right, for the benefit of the doubt, what would be the point anyway? Clearly schizophrenics would be the only people that could understand the theory - because they apparently have 'evolved' in a way that makes them physiologically capable of understanding it. So the idea of posting it for scrutiny was useless in the first place.

    Now, where my argument comes in, what do we know of that has things in common with the type of thought process where you can't actually describe what 'it' is, but can give examples -- which allegedly make sense -- such as 'mantras' describing its nature, and what you believe to be evidence? Well...

    Dissociative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Salvia divinorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Psilocybin mushroom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Depersonalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Depersonalization disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm not making any accusations here, but it in my opinion, this sounds a lot like the thought patterns associated with those types of disorders, and those types of drugs. I think my favourite example of this is Depersonalization, and Psilocybin. Psilocybin does this thing to the user where

    A) while being under the influence, remember these remarkable ideas/concepts you thought of - that seemingly applied to everything
    B) once no longer under the influce, you remember the ideas/concepts, but not how to explain -- or describe -- them. The only way you could possibly achieve this, is to use examples of the 'phenomenon' and 'mantras' that are supposed to evoke the main idea of the concept/idea.

    Unsurprisingly, depersonalization is very similar in the sense that your thought processes tend to be detached from everyone elses understanding of reality. It's no wonder that when you try to explain this to others it becomes frustrating, because in order to describe what you're talking about, you'd have to put it in terms others can understand ie: in a non-depersonalized fashion. Consider how that logically is possible..

    I'm not making any suggestions about slumpnasty himself, but to me it appears as though his inability to give an outright explanation of his theory is ominously similar.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    He wants to say that schizophrenia is not a disorder but simply another norm. He could have some validity in his argument, but he needs to purvey it in a more organized manner.
    That may well be the case. But why present it as the "Theory of Everything" or "The Fundamental Theorem of Logic" or "How to divde by Zero". Why not just say, "here are my ideas on schizophrenia".

    Anything that is "unknown" generates a fear in the ones who have difficulty understanding it
    I'm sorry but that is just as daft as those who say that they cannot get anyone to accept their lunatic pseudo-science "theory" because there is a conspiracy, or because scientists are closed-minded, or because they didn't go the right school, or ....

    If an idea is wrong, it is just wrong. (Actually, most pseudo-science ideas are not even wrong, they are meaningless babble.)

    If an idea is potentially right and novel, then that is exciting, not scary.

    Note, for example, all the discussion of possible faster-then-light neutrinos. Did you hear anyone say, "oh noes, it can't be true, it is too scary"? No. Because this is science (it was based on evidence) the reaction was to either suggest reasons why neutrinos might travel faster than light or why the measurements might be wrong.

    People who come along and say that this is evidence in support of their theory that the universe is made of hyperdimensional sentient elastic bands will still be told they are talking nonsense. (And not out of fear.)
    If the guy with hyperdimensional sentient elastic bands is being shown that new office you've been eyeing since the last guy who failed to get on the 5D bandwagon was fired, you wouldn't be just a little bit fearful? Maybe a little more fearful if you don't understand much of anything that guy is discussing with your boss who seems quite at home with this new theory?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    [I think I see his point in all of it though. He wants to say that schizophrenia is not a disorder but simply another norm.
    No, there really is such thing as mental illness. You see these people wandering the streets homeless. They can't take care of themselves.
    Still that doesn't mean a condition couldn't exist that enhances someone's perception beyond the average to be a different norm. The avergae person has difficulty visualizing with stick figures. A deft visual artist has been given a more powerful sense of vision and proportion. Some may transcend this without being sick.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    Well, I've lost interest now. Where I was planning on going with this is the following:

    Slumpnasty seems to have a 'theory' that he believes is true. The problem is though, he can only give examples that vaguely resemble what his theory is supposed to be. He can't actually outright say what it is, because he isn't actually capable of doing that, as there doesn't appear to be any arrangement of words that can outline the theory. As a result, we're supposed to read between the lines. Even though he knows the 'theory', believes in the theory, and get's the theory, he's actually incapable of giving an outright describer for it. I'd assume this is because the theory involves schizophrenics being the beginning of psychics, how would he be able to describe something that he claims has just begun only recently.

    In my opinion, attempting to show others a 'theory' that he himself is only beginning to understand is somewhat useless. Assuming he actually is right, for the benefit of the doubt, what would be the point anyway? Clearly schizophrenics would be the only people that could understand the theory - because they apparently have 'evolved' in a way that makes them physiologically capable of understanding it. So the idea of posting it for scrutiny was useless in the first place.

    Now, where my argument comes in, what do we know of that has things in common with the type of thought process where you can't actually describe what 'it' is, but can give examples -- which allegedly make sense -- such as 'mantras' describing its nature, and what you believe to be evidence? Well...

    Dissociative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Salvia divinorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Psilocybin mushroom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Depersonalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Depersonalization disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm not making any accusations here, but it in my opinion, this sounds a lot like the thought patterns associated with those types of disorders, and those types of drugs. I think my favourite example of this is Depersonalization, and Psilocybin. Psilocybin does this thing to the user where

    A) while being under the influence, remember these remarkable ideas/concepts you thought of - that seemingly applied to everything
    B) once no longer under the influce, you remember the ideas/concepts, but not how to explain -- or describe -- them. The only way you could possibly achieve this, is to use examples of the 'phenomenon' and 'mantras' that are supposed to evoke the main idea of the concept/idea.

    Unsurprisingly, depersonalization is very similar in the sense that your thought processes tend to be detached from everyone elses understanding of reality. It's no wonder that when you try to explain this to others it becomes frustrating, because in order to describe what you're talking about, you'd have to put it in terms others can understand ie: in a non-depersonalized fashion. Consider how that logically is possible..

    I'm not making any suggestions about slumpnasty himself, but to me it appears as though his inability to give an outright explanation of his theory is ominously similar.
    With all you just brought in it would seem the discussion would open to Dr. Rick Strassman's "The Spirit Molecule."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Yes, this is pseudo-science, because it is far outside the mainstream, even beyond the fringe of mainstream phenomena.
    Hard to define pseudo-science sometimes--not so hard to recognize. Word salad sprinkled with random thoughts and a balsamic equation and polysyllabic dressing.....
    MeteorWayne and Markus Hanke like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    The Holy Land is everywhere Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    In a bizarre way it references Schrosedenger's Cat. If we leave it dismissed as psudo-science and it turns out to be a next wave of psyciatric philosophy, we would have rushed in too zealously, if we play it through, only to find some kind of theory we still eat crow. What it sounds like slumpnasty is trying to copnvey is a relationship between schizophrenia and the 5th dimension. The US allowed Strassman to do his research for some good reason.

    Slumpnasty. Are you saying that a person having the symptoms of schizophrenia might be a peerson caught between two worlds? The question that needs to be satisfied before we can legitimately call this a TOE is that it addresses the origin of everything. How did both those worlds, if that's what you mean, get there?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    With all you just brought in it would seem the discussion would open to Dr. Rick Strassman's "The Spirit Molecule."
    I am very wary of things like NDEs, and drug-induced 'reality'. Granted, I find it interesting, but more in the way that I find Coast to Coast AM interesting. I entertain the ideas for the sake of just that: Entertainment. Anything like that I do my very best to take with a shakers worth of salt.

    Specifically on Strassman's research, which I don't particularly know a great deal about - I'd say it would make more sense that people had similar experiences because they were a strung-out on the same drug, rather than having seen visions that have any wealth of information about reality.

    Another way I look at it is as if I were to walk down a street and point a gun and random strangers demanding their possessions. I hypothesize that many would surrender there belongings - because people do tend to react to specific things in similar ways, granted not always, but often enough.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    With all you just brought in it would seem the discussion would open to Dr. Rick Strassman's "The Spirit Molecule."
    I am very wary of things like NDEs, and drug-induced 'reality'. Granted, I find it interesting, but more in the way that I find Coast to Coast AM interesting. I entertain the ideas for the sake of just that: Entertainment. Anything like that I do my very best to take with a shakers worth of salt.

    Specifically on Strassman's research, which I don't particularly know a great deal about - I'd say it would make more sense that people had similar experiences because they were a strung-out on the same drug, rather than having seen visions that have any wealth of information about reality.

    Another way I look at it is as if I were to walk down a street and point a gun and random strangers demanding their possessions. I hypothesize that many would surrender there belongings - because people do tend to react to specific things in similar ways, granted not always, but often enough.

    I'm not sure about Strassman's work. I find it interesting from the aspect of our brains' pineal gland storing free radicals during the day and releasing them as precursors of DMT at night or during times of dire stress. The brain is the most dense muscle in the human body and thus highest mass per volume. The pineal gland seems to be the central optical processor of our brains. Is it possible we were created with our own personal link to the 5th dimension?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    I find it interesting from the aspect of our brains' pineal gland storing free radicals during the day and releasing them as precursors of DMT at night or during times of dire stress.
    Wikipedia (the last word, surely) says of the idea that the pineal gland secretes DMT, "Currently there is no published reliable scientific evidence supporting this hypothesis and as such, it is merely a hypothesis." Given that this hypothesis was developed by someone high on psychdelics, I would be extra-sceptical.

    Although, it is interesting that many of the experiences of people given DMT are similar to "alien abduction" stories. Yet more evidence that "aliens" need not be invoked as explanation.

    And, "storing free radicals" ? Really? Do you have a reference for that?

    The brain is the most dense muscle in the human body
    "Muscle"? A quick search suggest that the density of brain tissue is about 1.05g/cm3 while muscle is about 1.06g/cm3.

    The pineal gland seems to be the central optical processor of our brains.
    I am not aware that the pineal gland plays any role in the visual system. Do you have a reference for that?

    Thanks,

    Your local, friendly fact-checker.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    The US allowed Strassman to do his research for some good reason.
    That is an odd way of putting it. It makes it sound like it was some sort of Government-sponsored project, or something.

    He was a tenured professor (which probably means he could do pretty much what he wanted). There was quite a fashion for researching hallucinogenics in the 60s (partly driven by people like Leary being unable to separate hallucinations from reality). So it isn't too surprising he got into this. And, after taking DMT himself, it wouldn't be too surprising if his judgement/objectivity was impaired ("no man, I mean, it's like, the truth man, it's awesome .... the colors ... oh man ...")
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    The US allowed Strassman to do his research for some good reason.
    That is an odd way of putting it. It makes it sound like it was some sort of Government-sponsored project, or something.

    He was a tenured professor (which probably means he could do pretty much what he wanted). There was quite a fashion for researching hallucinogenics in the 60s (partly driven by people like Leary being unable to separate hallucinations from reality). So it isn't too surprising he got into this. And, after taking DMT himself, it wouldn't be too surprising if his judgement/objectivity was impaired ("no man, I mean, it's like, the truth man, it's awesome .... the colors ... oh man ...")
    Is the Brain a Muscle?

    I'll give you that the brain is not literally a muscle. That is from a popular misnomer of the past.

    As for Strassman's research, like you say, he's been there a while. The government comes in because it was the first research allowed for decades by the federal government. Tenure or no, academic guys have to get their projects funded somewhere and usually it is Uncle Sugar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    The most massive organ would likely be a better choice of words. I probably won't stop telling kids to use their "thinking muscle" though...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    In a bizarre way it references Schrosedenger's Cat. If we leave it dismissed as psudo-science and it turns out to be a next wave of psyciatric philosophy, we would have rushed in too zealously, if we play it through, only to find some kind of theory we still eat crow. What it sounds like slumpnasty is trying to copnvey is a relationship between schizophrenia and the 5th dimension. The US allowed Strassman to do his research for some good reason.

    Slumpnasty. Are you saying that a person having the symptoms of schizophrenia might be a peerson caught between two worlds? The question that needs to be satisfied before we can legitimately call this a TOE is that it addresses the origin of everything. How did both those worlds, if that's what you mean, get there?
    Sometime I wonder, as a layperson, whether I should spend time trying to understand posts to a science forum.
    Then I find the above and realise reading such a post really does makes the activity worthwhile!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    I'm willing to have a dialogue, but only two people have attempted this.
    Are you sure it's not one schizophrenic?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpnasty View Post
    I'm willing to have a dialogue, but only two people have attempted this.
    Are you sure it's not one schizophrenic?
    Ha. Thanks for the chuckle.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Actually it's probably MPD, but one is shy...
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Zero Space-Time Theory-Grand Unified Theory of the Universe
    By tianman32 in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 27th, 2013, 01:31 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
  3. Dark matter theory resolved or just a new theory?
    By tbraun in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
  4. Valence Bond theory? Molecular Orbital theory?
    By oceanwave in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 5th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •