Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr

Thread: Is there any 6th element in nature?

  1. #1 Is there any 6th element in nature? 
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    except for these.
    fire, air ,earth, water, quintessence.

    a discussion on 6 th element : What the hell is the sixth element???? - NarutoBase Forums (Yin and Yang????!!!!)
    I didnot understand this discusion so I put this question here.

    wiki search for fifth element produced:



    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    There over one hundred elements. None of them are fire, air ,earth, water or quintessence (whatever that is).

    Dynamic Periodic Table


    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    There over one hundred elements. None of them are fire, air ,earth, water or quintessence (whatever that is).

    Dynamic Periodic Table
    nice to see quick reply!
    I am talking of Greek/Aristotle's Idea about Matter.
    see attachment
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Maybe you should ask in the history forum then, because it isn't biology (or any other science).

    I assume the answer is no because if Aristotle had invented any other "elements" you would have read about them in the same place.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Just to be clear, what you are asking is equivalent to: Is there an eighth dwarf in Snow White? Or is there a fourth musketeer. Or an eighth samurai. Or a fifth horseman of the apocalypse.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    @ mods : I mistakenly initiated this thread in Biology. kindly post it in any other Section where it belongs (most probably Chemistry), or delete it.

    @Strange: you are not getting any idea of this question. It seems to be real strange to you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,840
    The correct section would be pseudoscience.
    The historical belief in four elements - earth air fire and water - is not science, but a form of fiction disguised as science.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
    The correct section would be pseudoscience.
    The historical belief in four elements - earth air fire and water - is not science, but a form of fiction disguised as science.
    I see it wound up in pseudo, good.
    '
    And it's ancient historical fiction at that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    420
    NO

    Tridimity

    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    @Strange: you are not getting any idea of this question. It seems to be real strange to you.
    And you do not seem to be getting the idea of the answers. There are not four elements alone, there are not five elements alone, there are not six elements alone. The elements described by Aristotle are not elements in the modern sense, nor do they possess many of the elemental properties that Aristotle believed they had.

    You suggest the thread might have been more at home in chemistry. Rubbish! To repeat Aristotle's concept of the elements is a discarded, incorrect, obsolete idea.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    @ mods : I mistakenly initiated this thread in Biology. kindly post it in any other Section where it belongs (most probably Chemistry), or delete it.

    @Strange: you are not getting any idea of this question. It seems to be real strange to you.
    Fascinating post!
    Wonderful to see a fine mind operating at full power.
    I assume this is yet another example of thinking "out of the box".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    @ mods : I mistakenly initiated this thread in Biology. kindly post it in any other Section where it belongs (most probably Chemistry), or delete it.

    @Strange: you are not getting any idea of this question. It seems to be real strange to you.
    Fascinating post!
    Wonderful to see a fine mind operating at full power.
    I assume this is yet another example of thinking "out of the box".

    thank you. Your reply to my query is accurate!

    Hey I have not given this theory, I have just put it here. So before attacking me you should use your common sense and It is not necessar to think out of box for every question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    @Strange: you are not getting any idea of this question. It seems to be real strange to you.
    And you do not seem to be getting the idea of the answers. There are not four elements alone, there are not five elements alone, there are not six elements alone. The elements described by Aristotle are not elements in the modern sense, nor do they possess many of the elemental properties that Aristotle believed they had.

    You suggest the thread might have been more at home in chemistry. Rubbish! To repeat Aristotle's concept of the elements is a discarded, incorrect, obsolete idea.
    Thank you for reply.......
    I had studied this concept in the course / class of Chemistry in my 10th grade. But it is better to put it in Pseudoscience.
    Thanx to Mods
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Precious I would like you to think about this. Why was it introduced in your chemistry class?

    I'll answer that for you. The teacher was seeking to introduce you to the history of chemistry. They may also have mentioned the phlogiston theory, which tried to explain combustion. Historical ideas have a definite place in teaching any of the sciences. I hope we can all agree on that.

    However, your question appeared to assume that Aristotle's concept of four or five elements was still considered valid. It was as if you were to ask a question about a geocentric universe, saying "The crystal sphere that the sun is fixed in that rotates around the world, how thick is it?" You just don't seem to be exercising very much judgement or thought when you ask these questions.

    I don't wish to discourage your questions, but I do wish you would think them through a little more carefully before posting.

    With the best of intentions and warm regards,
    John
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,992
    Um,
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Or is there a fourth musketeer.
    D'Artagnan?

    Or a fifth horseman of the apocalypse.
    Yup, Ronnie Soak. But he left before they became famous due to artistic differences.
    ladydreamer likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Um,
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Or is there a fourth musketeer.
    D'Artagnan?
    You'll be trying to tell me there were 5 Marx Brothers next. Pfff.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,992
    Six!
    Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo, Zeppo and Karl.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Doh. I can't count.

    Hang on ....

    ...


    .... does that mean they are the six elements!!1!
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Isn't it a Bruce Willis sequel?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Basic element of me
    By mKarpis in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM
  2. Behavioral epigenetics - nature can effect our nature !
    By scishark in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
  3. Element 0? Please hear me out
    By Em0Sk8ter in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 20th, 2010, 03:31 PM
  4. Element
    By Abder-Rahman in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 31st, 2008, 05:59 PM
  5. Quantum mechanics and the nature of Nature
    By koantum in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 7th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •