Notices
Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GiantEvil

Thread: Seeing Timelessness

  1. #1 Seeing Timelessness 
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    Now, be able to see timelessness is basically understanding that there is really no past or future. If you look and think about it, they are really just words that were once made up. Now to all of those who understand the main idea behind this concept, I was wondering what kinds of benefits can you take from acquiring the skill of being able to look at the world in a different way, a different time dimension perspective. Being able to see timelessness. Any thoughts?


    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    Pardon? are you saying there are people that can make time simply not exist? sure sounds that way!


    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,910
    Dude, like, timelessness is like motionlessness. And motionlessness is, like, duh, animatelessness. You know, inanimate, without motion, adynamic. And like, stuff that doesn't move is like, umm, dead, yea! Yea, like timelessness ='s like, dead, man. Whad'ya thinkin' man!
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    Dude, like, timelessness is like motionlessness. And motionlessness is, like, duh, animatelessness. You know, inanimate, without motion, adynamic. And like, stuff that doesn't move is like, umm, dead, yea! Yea, like timelessness ='s like, dead, man. Whad'ya thinkin' man!
    I think I want what ever you've had
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,910
    I haven't had anything terribly special, but I am handing out hyperbole. Would you like some?
    iainmacb likes this.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
    Pardon? are you saying there are people that can make time simply not exist? sure sounds that way!
    Time doesn't exactly exist. I'm reading all of this in a book called "Everything Forever - Learning to See Timelessness" It's a difficult concept to understand because us humans are so accustomed to our own realm of time.
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,786
    It is true that the distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, but it is a stubbornly persistent illusion!
    Last edited by SpeedFreek; August 4th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    173
    Time does exist, yesturday I ate cake, tomorrow ill eat fish.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by griffithsuk View Post
    Time does exist, yesturday I ate cake, tomorrow ill eat fish.
    ... You don't understand it's a very difficult concept to explain. Don't try to act all smart about it. Just check out the book called "Everything Forever" This is a serious question looking to find serious answers.
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    New Member torko_ hafid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    hallo.am a new member in this i,teresting website..i see that the time is a action of the material.if the action stops the time will be stops also!! that what' ib my mind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,786
    Curiouscat, whilst the science in that book might be based on solid foundations, be careful of reading too much into the philosophical speculations put forward.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    check it out.
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    This whole concept is something Steven Hawking and Albert Einstein greatly studied and believed in.
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Hi...i'm new here but i know some things about this thing......well....the main idea is that you have to focus on your present with all your energy because this present will make "the next present".......you will not live in future...you will live in a next present (from "the future" if you want).......the way we see the time is now and here....you can remember the past also because it was present and you live in it...you remember it like a moment in present...doesen't matter if you came and say:This was yesterday.....it is only a concept, a way of thinking but time is there and we act in time and space ..... hope helps and i'm sorry for my english if there is any mistake....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by gabiwhyme View Post
    Hi...i'm new here but i know some things about this thing......well....the main idea is that you have to focus on your present with all your energy because this present will make "the next present".......you will not live in future...you will live in a next present (from "the future" if you want).......the way we see the time is now and here....you can remember the past also because it was present and you live in it...you remember it like a moment in present...doesen't matter if you came and say:This was yesterday.....it is only a concept, a way of thinking but time is there and we act in time and space ..... hope helps and i'm sorry for my english if there is any mistake....
    Yes gabi this is exactly what I'm talking about, you roughly understand the concepts of timelessness I can see! Right on
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    This whole concept is something Steven Hawking and Albert Einstein greatly studied and believed in.
    I'm not so sure about the whole concept, but they both understand/understood that the distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion, because space and time are intrinsically linked.

    The famous identical twins showed this, in the thought experiment. They both start out the same age, but one travels fast through space, whilst the other stays on Earth. When the traveller returns, he is younger than his twin. For the twin who stayed on Earth, his brother has moved into the past and is now the younger of the two. For the twin who travelled through space, his brother has moved into the future and is now the older of the two.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37
    No, time exists. It may be a man made concept but it is for a real thing. Even if we hadn't thought of time as a concept, the Sun would still burn right? The earth would rotate around the sun, seasons would still change. Time is all around us.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    173
    edit.......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    TIME EXIST...it is curved by gravity....but...this is a different thing.....not from science perspective but the philosophical...it is only a concept that uses some methods to distract the mind and make us to see world in a new light......again...from the philosophical perspective...e.g. the budhists, hindu and other religions or priests use this concept in their meditative states...for us..time is charged like a state of mind....each person perceive the time in different ways but all of them are right because our mind makes our reality...it is only a way of thinking but it can degenerate in a way of life....why? it is simple....if you are constructing your present in a good way...the "next present" will be better...so you can enjoy your life making your present nice and do good things because the next present will be ok......for they who say the time exist and never stops....it is absolutely right but we were speaking about a concept, a philosophical concept
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by griffithsuk View Post
    Time does exist, yesturday I ate cake, tomorrow ill eat fish.
    ... You don't understand it's a very difficult concept to explain. Don't try to act all smart about it. Just check out the book called "Everything Forever" This is a serious question looking to find serious answers.
    Sorry, but that's not how it works. You make the effort of showing why it should make sense that time is an illusion. By all means you can quote from the book, but don't expect people to read the book for you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    study curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peace
    Posts
    24
    people aren't as nice and understanding and reasonable as I thought theyd be on this site ! :\
    "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
    -Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    people aren't as nice and understanding and reasonable as I thought theyd be on this site ! :\
    They're asking you for evidence. That's what scientists are supposed to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    people aren't as nice and understanding and reasonable as I thought theyd be on this site ! :\
    No they are not Cat, but don't let that bother you. This is a science site, not a scocial chat room.
    Anything you say that can be questioned, will be. Go with the flow, learn to live with any opinion
    that may challenge your current thinking, however abusive it may seem at the time.
    For what it's worth Cat, my view of time is the distance between one event and another, in
    the reality I live in.
    nokton.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24 How about we give him a real answer? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    "Sorry, but that's not how it works. You make the effort of showing why it should make sense that time is an illusion. By all means you can quote from the book, but don't expect people to read the book for you." Except that if you actually read his post, he wasn't looking to explain or justify the theory to others. He was asking for opinions on the implications of the theory from those who already understand it. "They're asking you for evidence. That's what scientists are supposed to do." Scientists are also supposed to read and apply logic before they comment--but that clearly hasn't happened here. Curiouscat isn't sales pitching the theory in this thread, and therefore he has nothing to justify. Sorry if I seem a bit short with you folks, but this is a pet-peeve of mine. These sorts of banal and unhelpful replies are precisely the sort of thing that leads a person to ignore forums all together. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard. If some one earnestly asks a question, it's impolite to insult his intelligence with a reply like "Time does exist, yesturday I ate cake, tomorrow ill eat fish.", and to then argue with him for not being a pushover. Anyway, to address the actual question... "What kinds of benefits can you take from acquiring the skill of being able to look at the world in a different way, a different time dimension perspective. Being able to see timelessness. Any thoughts?" For the benefits... First, it moves us beyond the age old question of how the universe began. If you adopt this perspective, then clearly the universe has no beginning. It has always existed, and it always will. Second, it enables us to see the harmonious unity in all things. All things are simply expressions or reflections of a greater whole--patterns within the space of all possible states. This includes people. In a sense, it lends a certain validity to the notion of a soul. The pattern of a person's existence does not disappear simply because that person has passed away. The universe does not forget. From this perspective, memories and reality are identical. Possibilities and reality are identical. All things are eternal, even though our intuitions tell us that all things are temporary. There is something I find very reassuring in this. Third, this perspective may enable us to understand the seeming absurdity of the quantum world. The apparent lack of definite states at the quantum level is precisely what one would expect to see in a multiverse scenario--which is what timelessness implies. Once you discard the sense that time flows along a single thread, you will be able to see that the difference between what is real and what is possible is an illusion. Hence, quantum fluctuations simply correspond to other "possible" states of the universe, and the reason that we can't predict them precisely is simply because by the time we've measured a quantum state, we've already found ourselves in a universe in which that particular measurement happened to prevail. At least, that's the present hypothesis I've come to with my admittedly limited knowledge of quantum mechanics. Of course, I hate to use verbs of any kind when describing these "outcomes" because as we know: When discussing a timeless multiverse, nothing ever really "happens." Unfortunately a causal, directional notion of time is embedded in our natural languages, so it is unavoidable so far as I can tell. Perhaps some day we'll develop a natural language that is not fettered in this way? Regardless, that's all I've got for now. I hope you found it interesting!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    How is it that none of the spacing was preserved in my post? -_-
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    I don't know why you lost your spacing.
    Why did you resurrect a thread that died in 2011?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Doanage View Post
    How is it that none of the spacing was preserved in my post? -_-
    Because in keeping witht the theme of this thread, you are seeeing spacelessness !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    ^Honestly, that made me laugh.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    "Why did you resurrect a thread that died in 2011?" Does a thread ever truly die? Not in a timeless universe. "Because in keeping witht the theme of this thread, you are seeeing spacelessness !" That made me laugh too. For real though, has anyone read this book yet? I've been reading the guy's website, and I ordered the book off of amazon a couple days ago. His insights are astounding. My gut tells me he's on to something very deep, and very real.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Doanage View Post
    .. For real though, has anyone read this book yet? I've been reading the guy's website, and I ordered the book off of amazon a couple days ago. His insights are astounding. My gut tells me he's on to something very deep, and very real.
    I don't know about this book, but I did read a few of Steven Hawking's books. If you can get ahold of The Grand Design it has a very different view of time hidden inside the pages.
    Not only is there only the "now" but the future and the past are symetrically unpredictable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Yes, I enjoyed The Grand Design very much, even if 80% of it was review. The last 20% of the book was truly fascinating. Stephen Hawking has a lot of brilliant ideas and perspective on the nature of the cosmos, but I think he may be beyond his prime. I find Gevin Giorbran's take (author of Everything Forever) to be a very convincing and elegant expansion on what is already known. A little of his theory conflicts with Hawking's view--specifically with regards to entropy and the arrow of time--but beyond that I would say his notion of the universe is complimentary to the many-worlds theory Hawking presents in the Grand Design. Everythingforever.com--it will blow your mind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Doanage View Post
    Everythingforever.com--it will blow your mind.
    If you substitute "stomach" for "mind" then I'd agree.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Did you actually read any of the website?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Doanage View Post
    Did you actually read any of the website?
    Well obviously not.
    That's how I arrived at my reaction.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Would you be so kind as to go into a bit more detail about which arguments of the theory you find unconvincing? For instance, your view on timelessness, your view on entropy, and your view on "SOAPS" aka the "Space of All Possible States", would all be good ideas to address.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •