Notices
Results 1 to 42 of 42

Thread: 2012

  1. #1 2012 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Inbetween fridge and plant
    Posts
    2
    Elinement with the centre of the our galaxy in 2012. Will anything happen? Planent x (Nibiru). Fact or fiction?


    Soinc Boom.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    sak
    sak is offline
    Forum Junior sak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Presently at ME
    Posts
    210
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator Dishmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    1,624
    Total nonsense
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,699
    its not even proper science fiction
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    266
    This whole thing got started because of the Mayan Calender. In December of 2012, The Mayan Calender cycles over into a new age (sort of like a millennium.) So of course, many pseudo-scientists interpret this to mean that the world will end.

    Planet X came largely from a man named Zechariah Sitchin who looked at a Sumerian tablet with what looked to him like a representation of the solar system. He counted 11 planets (one was the moon) and concluded that the Sumerians had knowledge of a tenth planet "X" which they had learned about from aliens. Somehow, he deduced that planet X was going to collide with Earth in 2012.

    That's really it. All the math and "astronomy" that the doomsdayers have come up with are just rationalizations for those two initial assumptions: "The world will end in 2012," and "there's a secret planet X somewhere."
    Artist for Red Oasis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    This whole thing got started because of the Mayan Calender. In December of 2012, The Mayan Calender cycles over into a new age (sort of like a millennium.) So of course, many pseudo-scientists interpret this to mean that the world will end.

    Planet X came largely from a man named Zechariah Sitchin who looked at a Sumerian tablet with what looked to him like a representation of the solar system. He counted 11 planets (one was the moon) and concluded that the Sumerians had knowledge of a tenth planet "X" which they had learned about from aliens. Somehow, he deduced that planet X was going to collide with Earth in 2012.

    That's really it. All the math and "astronomy" that the doomsdayers have come up with are just rationalizations for those two initial assumptions: "The world will end in 2012," and "there's a secret planet X somewhere."
    There are only 8 planets if you exclude the hypothetical planet X. Many more if you include the dwarf planets. So any way you slice it the count is completely wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,913
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    This whole thing got started because of the Mayan Calender. In December of 2012, The Mayan Calender cycles over into a new age (sort of like a millennium.) So of course, many pseudo-scientists interpret this to mean that the world will end.

    Planet X came largely from a man named Zechariah Sitchin who looked at a Sumerian tablet with what looked to him like a representation of the solar system. He counted 11 planets (one was the moon) and concluded that the Sumerians had knowledge of a tenth planet "X" which they had learned about from aliens. Somehow, he deduced that planet X was going to collide with Earth in 2012.

    That's really it. All the math and "astronomy" that the doomsdayers have come up with are just rationalizations for those two initial assumptions: "The world will end in 2012," and "there's a secret planet X somewhere."
    There are only 8 planets if you exclude the hypothetical planet X. Many more if you include the dwarf planets. So any way you slice it the count is completely wrong.
    8 planets, pluto, the moon, planet x. 11
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,204
    I like the word "poppycock".
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,864
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    This whole thing got started because of the Mayan Calender. In December of 2012, The Mayan Calender cycles over into a new age (sort of like a millennium.) So of course, many pseudo-scientists interpret this to mean that the world will end.

    Planet X came largely from a man named Zechariah Sitchin who looked at a Sumerian tablet with what looked to him like a representation of the solar system. He counted 11 planets (one was the moon) and concluded that the Sumerians had knowledge of a tenth planet "X" which they had learned about from aliens. Somehow, he deduced that planet X was going to collide with Earth in 2012.

    That's really it. All the math and "astronomy" that the doomsdayers have come up with are just rationalizations for those two initial assumptions: "The world will end in 2012," and "there's a secret planet X somewhere."
    There are only 8 planets if you exclude the hypothetical planet X. Many more if you include the dwarf planets. So any way you slice it the count is completely wrong.
    Maybe they included some particularly bright asteroids? I doubt their methods were sophisticated enough to discern between planets and proto-planets, or whatever Pluto has been reclassified to.

    Maybe they thought one of the moons of Jupiter was a planet?

    On the other hand..... you never know (...turning on my flashlight, and placing it face up under my jaw so it shines on my face...) Maybe Planet X is made of Dark Matter!!!! Maybe the Hadron Collider will create it!!! Or.... maybe it orbits the Sun at the exact same speed as Earth, same orbital pattern and everything, and it's always on the other side of the Sun!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    This whole thing got started because of the Mayan Calender. In December of 2012, The Mayan Calender cycles over into a new age (sort of like a millennium.) So of course, many pseudo-scientists interpret this to mean that the world will end.

    Planet X came largely from a man named Zechariah Sitchin who looked at a Sumerian tablet with what looked to him like a representation of the solar system. He counted 11 planets (one was the moon) and concluded that the Sumerians had knowledge of a tenth planet "X" which they had learned about from aliens. Somehow, he deduced that planet X was going to collide with Earth in 2012.

    That's really it. All the math and "astronomy" that the doomsdayers have come up with are just rationalizations for those two initial assumptions: "The world will end in 2012," and "there's a secret planet X somewhere."
    There are only 8 planets if you exclude the hypothetical planet X. Many more if you include the dwarf planets. So any way you slice it the count is completely wrong.
    8 planets, pluto, the moon, planet x. 11
    Once Pluto is in, so is anything comparable to Pluto. So you've got 11 + 4 at least! :P Estimates on the number of dwarf planets ranges between 40 and 200.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Maybe they included some particularly bright asteroids? I doubt their methods were sophisticated enough to discern between planets and proto-planets, or whatever Pluto has been reclassified to.

    Maybe they thought one of the moons of Jupiter was a planet?
    Well how would they have detected asteroids or Titan or Europa if that was beyond later civilizations? The Greeks and Romans and the modern western civilisation? None of this stuff is detectable without a telescope, so none of it was reported until the 1600's and later.

    Did the Mayans have telescopes? Are there any pictures of them, let alone remains of them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    266
    Here is the tablet in question:


    At first glance, it could look like a solar system, but some short research into Sumerian symbology proves otherwise. Here is the actual symbol for The Sun.

    Four points enclosed in a circle with wavy lines coming from the center. The symbol on the tablet has several points and more closely resembles the symbol for "star" (left.)

    So its a star, not the sun (which is shown on the right.)

    But even from the context alone, the tablet is clearly not a description of the solar system or any other heavenly body. The inscriptions on the tablet read: "Dubsiga (The name of the man on the right with a distinguished connotation,) Ili-illat (the name of the tablet's owner,) his servant." So the purpose of the tablet is for the carver to declare himself the servant of Dubsiga. In that context, the star and the circles are meaningless. It could very well have just been simple decoration.
    Artist for Red Oasis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,704
    Logical fallacy #gazillion

    "closely resembles the symbol for "star""

    "So its a star"

    The symbol in the tablet in question clearly has 6 points. The symbol for star has 8 points. This is enough to raise doubt, at least in my eyes.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: 2012 
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Scientific Maximus
    Elinement with the centre of the our galaxy in 2012. Will anything happen? Planent x (Nibiru). Fact or fiction?
    Zetatalk, with their magnanimous leader, Nancy Lieder, kook extraordinaire.

    http://www.zetatalk.com/
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Junior Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusclayman
    Logical fallacy #gazillion

    "closely resembles the symbol for "star""

    "So its a star"

    The symbol in the tablet in question clearly has 6 points. The symbol for star has 8 points. This is enough to raise doubt, at least in my eyes.
    And tell me, how many wavy lines does the symbol on the tablet have? Is it enclosed in a circle? What about the context of the tablet indicates that this is a description of the solar system? How do other Sumerian artifacts corroborate it?
    Artist for Red Oasis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,864
    While I agree that Finger has a point about it (very likely) not being a genuine depiction of the solar system, I have to ask.... was there some law in Sumeria that prohibited the depicting of the sun by any means other than just the one kind of drawing? Would they chop off your hand if you drew it another way?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    While I agree that Finger has a point about it (very likely) not being a genuine depiction of the solar system, I have to ask.... was there some law in Sumeria that prohibited the depicting of the sun by any means other than just the one kind of drawing? Would they chop off your hand if you drew it another way?
    I think Finger's point is that, if we're going to make an assumption about the intended meaning of the carving (and it's probably just decoration), the more likely meaning is as he suggests rather than the tenuous leap of "they knew about a 10th planet". It gels less well with what is known of the meaning of other such carvings aside from being contradicted by what we now know about the planets and dwarf planets of our star system.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,864
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    While I agree that Finger has a point about it (very likely) not being a genuine depiction of the solar system, I have to ask.... was there some law in Sumeria that prohibited the depicting of the sun by any means other than just the one kind of drawing? Would they chop off your hand if you drew it another way?
    I think Finger's point is that, if we're going to make an assumption about the intended meaning of the carving (and it's probably just decoration), the more likely meaning is as he suggests rather than the tenuous leap of "they knew about a 10th planet". It gels less well with what is known of the meaning of other such carvings aside from being contradicted by what we now know about the planets and dwarf planets of our star system.
    If that's the case, then I at least agreed with is main point.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,193
    I'm going to take out a big loan and blow it on hookers and heroin.

    It's not like you have to repay loans when the planet blows up.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Moderator Moderator Dishmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusclayman
    Logical fallacy #gazillion

    "closely resembles the symbol for "star""

    "So its a star"

    The symbol in the tablet in question clearly has 6 points. The symbol for star has 8 points. This is enough to raise doubt, at least in my eyes.
    Maybe they observed a supernova. How old are those sumerian tables?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    8
    in the 13th century christians believed there were nine heavenly bodies but they only knew about 5 actual planets other than earth the other celestial bodies were said to be the moon, the sun, the stars and heaven.

    does it seem possible that a similar belief of a paradise like planet was held by this ancient civilization?
    knowledge is knowing that you know nothing
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21 A little NON fiction 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    It WILL be the first time in 400,000 years that the Milky Way, the Earth, the Moon, AND the sun will all be in line.

    There is a black hole (as we all know) in the Milky Way. While there is no confirmation on exactly what a black whole is, there are very good theory's in play. My favorite states that a black hole Is a point in which nothing exists. To bring that into perspective you need to think beyond simple mathematics into root. Mathematics cannot tell us why a tree brach sprouts leaves in some places and not in others. So remember that if you don't have anything, it's mass is null, NOT zero. Gravity has no form when there is no mass, so what you are actually seeing when you think there is a swirl of stars being sucked in, is actually a refraction... Hold a magnifying glass at an angle and look through it, and it will place everything you see at an angle. Movement of those items can be imitated simply by moving the light source.

    So with that being said, you have an eclipse left. Which leaves only two possible and plausible scenarios;

    1. We will have a solar eclipse that intensifies the light from the Milky Way and we have a night sky that will be visible from Times Square... or

    2. The milky way does have a gravitational field which with the moon and the earth interceding the sun would create a "cosmic Sling Shot."
    Let me explain. Take a glass and put the rim just under the surface of some water so that the bottom of the glass is in the air. Make sure the water is level in and outside of the cup. Do this by letting an air bubble out. The edge of the glass now represents the pull of the milky way on the outer ring of the sun. (It's only going to affect the outer ring because there will be planets in the way.) Pull straight up on the glass quickly and evenly. What you see is the outer ring of water getting drawn up, but it doesn't go too fay before it falls back to the waters surface. HOWEVER s ripple effect occurs. The outer ring collapses and the wave converges on a central point and a central splash with the combined energy of the initial wave spouts from the center and actually goes higher then the outer ring. With less gravity at the central point, and gas which weighs considerably less then water you can expect a solar flare from the center of the sun which not only shoots directly at the center of earth, but with enough inertia that it may shoot several hundred more miles beyond.

    Unfortunately you are correct, a movie did just come out depicting this, I don't think that it is entirely implausible either. The effect would be very close to what the movie shows if not exact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22 Re: A little NON fiction 
    Forum Junior Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by geo.howard
    2. The milky way does have a gravitational field which with the moon and the earth interceding the sun would create a "cosmic Sling Shot."
    Let me explain. Take a glass and put the rim just under the surface of some water so that the bottom of the glass is in the air. Make sure the water is level in and outside of the cup. Do this by letting an air bubble out. The edge of the glass now represents the pull of the milky way on the outer ring of the sun. (It's only going to affect the outer ring because there will be planets in the way.) Pull straight up on the glass quickly and evenly. What you see is the outer ring of water getting drawn up, but it doesn't go too fay before it falls back to the waters surface. HOWEVER s ripple effect occurs. The outer ring collapses and the wave converges on a central point and a central splash with the combined energy of the initial wave spouts from the center and actually goes higher then the outer ring. With less gravity at the central point, and gas which weighs considerably less then water you can expect a solar flare from the center of the sun which not only shoots directly at the center of earth, but with enough inertia that it may shoot several hundred more miles beyond.
    This is complete hogwash.
    Artist for Red Oasis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23 Re: A little NON fiction 
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by geo.howard
    It WILL be the first time in 400,000 years that the Milky Way, the Earth, the Moon, AND the sun will all be in line.
    That's like saying I'm in line with my brain and my little toe. The Earth, moon and sun are all within the milky way, so how can they allign with it any more than usual?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    The moon is always around the earth but yet we are not in total eclipse constantly lol :-D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,913
    but the milky way encompasses the sun, moon, and earth. How can, say, your brain be in line with your head when it's a part of your head (i.e. Contained by your head)
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,256
    While we're at it, I'd like to know how it is relevant to have astronomical bodies alligned?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Ok, Now tell me honestly... lol You actually thought about it for a minute.

    http://www.articlesbase.com/new-age-...th-914503.html

    http://meade4m.com/forum/index.php?topic=416.0

    http://www.halexandria.org/dward761.htm

    http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/sun/flares.html

    There are other sites too, and several studies on each. When you put them together with the calander, and a collision, you get the BS story I posted.

    I'm for option 1 personally, nothing happens, very pretyy evening though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by geo.howard
    Ok, Now tell me honestly... lol You actually thought about it for a minute.
    I think about everything I'm presented with. Doesn't mean I believe it.

    Quote Originally Posted by geo.howard
    There are other sites too, and several studies on each. When you put them together with the calander, and a collision, you get the BS story I posted.

    I'm for option 1 personally, nothing happens, very pretyy evening though.
    Thanks, very helpful of you to draw it out for so long when you don't believe it yourself :?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,913
    Playing the Devil's Advocate is quite fun, Drowsy, you should try it.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Junior Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    266
    Neil deGrasse Tyson happens to be an expert on the subject.
    Artist for Red Oasis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Playing the Devil's Advocate is quite fun, Drowsy, you should try it.
    Who? Me? I'm completely innocent, remember? 8)
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Junior mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    280
    I think 2012 is all just a bunch of hype. Ancient peoples built their religions and calenders around astronomy because the heavens were the perfect foundation to fix their cultures and existences to for eternity. I think the majority, if not all, 2012 theories involving destruction, war, and the like are centered around opinion, not fact. Not very good science at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    It's a bit like saying that the world is going to end after December, because that's when the calendar ends. It will be just yet more evidence about how gullible people are, and how willing people are to buy into whatever brand of woo is sold to them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,704
    nice woo
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Hello, I saw that a few people asked some pertinent questions in this topic that have not yet been answered, so I thought I might help. I would like to see the question here answered using clear and precise scientific reasoning if at all possible. It is a topic of rather interesting and perplexing possibilities.

    The subject to be more clear is based from 3500 - 5000 year old text coming out of the Sumerian culture. This is the very origin of the biblical renditions for creation, the Flood and the Tower of Bable and many others. They have clearly stated, according to some translators, that our solar system is a binary solar system. The 2nd sun is actually a brown dwarf that is on a highly ecliptical orbit that has a rotation that spans somewhere between 2160 to 3600 years, dependding upon the source. So yes it is a star to be looking for , however due to its being a brown dwarf that task is rather difficult. Anyway, The planet x portion of the story, the Sumerians call a planet , NIBIRU, is in that dwarf suns rotation.

    According to many accounts, it is not likely due here for at least 800 years. However, because certain events in our history as a planet are hard to pin down , there is a chance that the Mayan calendar end date and the Sumerian Destroyer may in fact have some relevance and be connected. If it is going to be seen you can do a bit of looking on google as to where one might expect to see the approach . There is actually some coordinates for this thing out there.

    It would be cool to see this looked into and seriously analyzed because with the hype that is out there and growing everyday, even if nothing is to happen universally at this time, our combined collective consciousness, all fear or negative based, will certainly mandate something will happen, not so good.

    The Sumerian people had a complete and very detailed scientific knowledge of the Universe , including the precession of the equinox, and as you know the Mayan callendar is incredibly accurate scientifically speaking, not to mention mathmatically astounding. In other words these people and their cultures, were far from hunters and gatherers. On the contrary, debate could be seriously entered on if they were more advanced than we are today. In many areas of study.

    It is my opinion personally, that this will not be a possible participant in any event in the near future. However, I think it foolish to excuse the Sumerian without a hard look. However, there is also the translation and to my knowlege only one "scholar/writer" has arrived at the Nibiru conclusion, that I know about, maybe 2. I don't know about you but I am not able to translate Sumerian to help out there. hehe

    However, we are seeing significant brightning or heating throughout the solar system and we do seem to have increased earthquake activity and , it sure does seem like the planet has started to prepare for the pole shift as well. Do we even have ice at the poles anymore? Just kidding but you can see my point can't you? And what about the low levels in the magnetic field these days. So yes, there is enough to look into it. Nemesis is where one might look and here is an article I just saw only days ago out of Australia that truly is talking about the Nibiru expeience , although it does not know to call it Nibiru.

    http://www.news.com.au/features/invi...-1225840140357
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Moderator Moderator John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,659
    Greetings HalexandriasAngel and welcome to the forum. Please excuse me if I go straight for the jugular - let me give you an executive summary of my post: you are talking crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    I would like to see the question here answered using clear and precise scientific reasoning if at all possible.
    This is an excellent objective, elegantly expressed. It is unfortunate you fail utterly to deliver.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    They have clearly stated, according to some translators, that our solar system is a binary solar system.
    Do you see the contradiction that arises from the two highlighted statements? If you truly wished, or understood what is meant - in your own phrase - by clear and precise scientific reasoning, then you could not have written those words.
    You might have written something like "some translators have interpreted the texts to mean that the solar system is a binary system". That would have met your own criteria.

    Staying on this tack, please provide some citations for the translators who have made this claim. While you are at it can you give some indication of what proportion of translations of the Sumerian texts follow this particular interpretation? I imagine you will see why this is important.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    If it is going to be seen you can do a bit of looking on google as to where one might expect to see the approach .
    No. This is your argument. You have to provide the evidence, references and citations. We don't do your work for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    There is actually some coordinates for this thing out there.
    Excellent. So once again, what are they? Who provided them? On what basis were they determined? Have the calculations/methods been validated by at least one other researcher? Etc. Since you value clear precise scientific reasoning you will have no difficulty thinking of other questions that must be asked and answered regarding these coordinates.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    It would be cool to see this looked into and seriously analyzed because with the hype that is out there and growing everyday, even if nothing is to happen universally at this time, our combined collective consciousness, all fear or negative based, will certainly mandate something will happen, not so good.
    So why has every other overhyped "End of the World" scenario ended with something considerably less than a whimper? Why will this one be so different? Give me some scientific reasoning to justify your assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    The Sumerian people had a complete and very detailed scientific knowledge of the Universe , including the precession of the equinox,
    So they knew about the cosmic background radiation, pulsars, black holes, special relativity and a host of other topics? No? Perhaps you should try being more precise in what you write.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    and as you know the Mayan callendar is incredibly accurate scientifically speaking, not to mention mathmatically astounding.
    No, I don't know that. Please provide some (scholarly) references that substantiate this claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    In other words these people and their cultures, were far from hunters and gatherers.
    Since it is recognised that agriculure was central to the Mayan culture , why would you even mention this. No one is claiming that they were hunter-gatherers. Some researchers suggest an even more complex market economy. (Dahlin, B.H. "The Remarkable Early Classic Maya Economy of Chunchucmil" Journal of Social Archaeology, Vol. 9, No. 3, 341-367 (2009))

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    On the contrary, debate could be seriously entered on if they were more advanced than we are today. In many areas of study
    Specify one, only one, of the many areas in which they may have been more advanced and provide the evidence to support that contention. Please.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    However, we are seeing significant brightning or heating throughout the solar system
    The Earth is warming, largely from anthropogenic effects. Mars is warming, likely as a consequence of natural variations known to have effected it for billions of years. Pluto is not cooling as fast as expected. Nothing else that I am aware of. Where is your evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    we do seem to have increased earthquake activity and ,
    No we don't. If you think we do please provide a statistical assessment (or reference to such an assessment) that demonstrates that this is the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    it sure does seem like the planet has started to prepare for the pole shift as well. Do we even have ice at the poles anymore? Just kidding but you can see my point can't you? And what about the low levels in the magnetic field these days.
    How does a planet 'prepare itself' for a pole shift? Why do you think, even as a joke, that there would be some connection between a pole shift and melting ice? What about the current state of the magnetic field?

    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    and here is an article I just saw only days ago out of Australia that truly is talking about the Nibiru expeience , although it does not know to call it Nibiru.

    http://www.news.com.au/features/invi...-1225840140357
    Finally you almost redeem yourself, with the first hint of something scientific. Nemesis redux. I would be happier if the ultimate source of your find had not been the Sun newspaper.

    Halexandria, I'm not attacking you. I'm not even attacking your idea especially. I am attacking the lacklustre, lackadaisical way you presented it after suggesting a clear and precise scientific reasoning was important.

    Once again, welcome to the forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Ophiolite,

    Thank you. I appreciate your most generous critique for my writing style and will try very hard to provide a more scholarly post as soon as I am able. Thank you fortaking the time to address me and once again, I appreciate it.

    I am so use to posting on forums where my approach is needed to be thought provoking instead of scientific. However, I see that this is not that type of forum and that all points of reference need their points of origin. I look forward to meeting your expectations in the future.

    By the way, Is there an issue with the Sun newspaper? I am unaware and would like to know about that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,704
    Yeah, it is much more difficult, and nigh impossible, but we'd prefer to put our thoughts to rest, than provoke them in these here parts.. :b
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Moderator Moderator John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,659
    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    By the way, Is there an issue with the Sun newspaper? I am unaware and would like to know about that.
    Ths Sun is a major national British tabloid paper. It sells newspapers by focusing on scandal, celebrity and the like. Its take on scientific subjects is to exagerate, misinterpret, over simplify and generally get things wrong - but as long as the headline sells papers it doesn't matter. Consequently it is not a reliable reference.

    I look forward to your future contributions. Thank you for taking my observations positively.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    101
    When life insurance companies start ending their policies and claim they've gone bankrupt, then you should start to worry. The only supposed evidence of planet X that I've seen is in ancient manuscripts which a handful of people on this planet are even qualified to read. But when has ancient literature ever done us wrong...

    Some things are hidden from the public, some things are made up by the public. But if they're hidden, you won't only find a lot of content relating to the information you're looking for, you'll find credible information also that adequately denounces an official story.

    Nothing about 2012 seems realistic to me at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by HalexandriasAngel
    By the way, Is there an issue with the Sun newspaper? I am unaware and would like to know about that.
    Ths Sun is a major national British tabloid paper. It sells newspapers by focusing on scandal, celebrity and the like. Its take on scientific subjects is to exagerate, misinterpret, over simplify and generally get things wrong - but as long as the headline sells papers it doesn't matter. Consequently it is not a reliable reference.
    I would add that this is a criticism broadly applicable to the mainstream media and even to the popular specialist media. The reporting of science is hard to get right sometimes. The conversion of science into an easily consumable product for the general populace tends to go very wrong most of the time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    I think it is fiction. Because it has many reasons for that. I do not believe it. Any disaster will not say, i am coming so why should we believe in that?. It is totally fiction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •