Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Does the media love mass shooting?

  1. #1 Does the media love mass shooting? 
    Forum Freshman Coveny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    30
    In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)

    https://drive.google.com/.../0B4Z7VkWcwLk.../view
    https://www.reportingonmassshootings.org/

    This plays on humanís genetic disposition to "fear" when statistically it's not something you "should" be afraid of. We had 606 mass shooting deaths in 2016, and while every death is sad, and those who die young are the worst to bear, we have over 2 million people die a year in this country. Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year? Champion stem cell research and prevent the over 100+ thousand who die from Alzheimerís. Stop denying climate change and fight to save the 150+ thousand a year who die from chronic lower respiratory disease. There are countries that have guns without mass shootings, as well as it being debatable that removal of guns reduces crime. (It may reduce murder slightly depending on where you look and how many years out you look but it increases rape, burglary, etc)

    https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2016
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

    Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America. Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100ís thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families donít stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents donít have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.

    We have a finite amount of energy to champion causes I understand that guns may seem to be the problem because of the way media agencies like CNN spam them, but they are just a symptom of the greater problem affecting 99% of Americas who are struggling to make ends meet. It may be callous to turn away from those deaths (or any deaths) and say, ďother things are more importantĒ, but we are talking about the greater good of the 320 million people who live in America, and the media spends WAY too much time making these shooters famous.


    ForDebating.com is now in beta.

    We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.


    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    925
    Australia had a mass shooting in 1996. They banned all assault weapons and haven't had any such incidences since. In the 1930's the U.S. banned machine guns (tommy guns). Why not ban assault rifles, designed for warfare.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Coveny View Post
    In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)
    In fairness to CNN, they show news on mass shootings because people really want to see news on mass shootings. Believe me, if people changed the channel whenever news on a mass shooting came on, CNN (and all networks) would stop showing them overnight.
    Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year?
    I think because many people think that wanting to kill yourself (and succeeding) is less of a tragedy than innocent people being killed. Both are sad, of course.

    Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America.
    That is one of the very many causes. The biggest cause is fear; fear is what makes people buy lots of guns, fear is what makes people carry them everywhere and fear is what leads schools to either ban them or require ineffective armed guards, as was the case here. Other factors include wealth inequality, mental illness, glorification of violence, an echo chamber that echoes extremists on both sides, violent video games and movies etc etc.

    The reason that gun control is so often brought up is that without guns, it is very hard for people to become mass murderers - no matter what the underlying causes.

    Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100’s thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families don’t stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents don’t have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.
    If we did that, extremists would claim "the socialists are coming for you! GET A GUN!!!" And it would work. The NRA excels at creating fear.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman Coveny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coveny View Post
    In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)
    In fairness to CNN, they show news on mass shootings because people really want to see news on mass shootings. Believe me, if people changed the channel whenever news on a mass shooting came on, CNN (and all networks) would stop showing them overnight.
    Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year?
    I think because many people think that wanting to kill yourself (and succeeding) is less of a tragedy than innocent people being killed. Both are sad, of course.
    Here you talk about how they are what people want.


    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America.
    That is one of the very many causes. The biggest cause is fear; fear is what makes people buy lots of guns, fear is what makes people carry them everywhere and fear is what leads schools to either ban them or require ineffective armed guards, as was the case here. Other factors include wealth inequality, mental illness, glorification of violence, an echo chamber that echoes extremists on both sides, violent video games and movies etc etc.

    The reason that gun control is so often brought up is that without guns, it is very hard for people to become mass murderers - no matter what the underlying causes.
    Then here you say it's because of fear. Dwelling on mass murders creates fear does it not? So by that logic mainstream media creates the echo chamber of fear that it feeds off of.


    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100ís thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families donít stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents donít have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.
    If we did that, extremists would claim "the socialists are coming for you! GET A GUN!!!" And it would work. The NRA excels at creating fear.
    Rather than laying the blame at the new sources feed who are they ones talking about death it's the NRA that is creating fear? I think you might be a bit bias there, the NRA isn't on the TV night and day talking about death.
    ForDebating.com is now in beta.

    We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.


    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Coveny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Australia had a mass shooting in 1996. They banned all assault weapons and haven't had any such incidences since. In the 1930's the U.S. banned machine guns (tommy guns). Why not ban assault rifles, designed for warfare.
    I'll agree that Australia's gun ban has worked for awhile, but they already have more rape than us, and their other numbers are climbing as the black market for guns has gotten the production system in place it's only a matter of time at this point before they become worse.
    https://reason.com/archives/2016/03/...ated-a-violent
    ForDebating.com is now in beta.

    We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.


    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,780
    wealth =/= Gun violence, and looking at the mass shootings they are due to bulling and marginalization of the perpetratior, not due to money.

    you feel that Reason is a non-biased source why?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(magazine)
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman Coveny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    wealth =/= Gun violence, and looking at the mass shootings they are due to bulling and marginalization of the perpetratior, not due to money.

    you feel that Reason is a non-biased source why?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(magazine)
    Poor = gun violence and 99% of the population is poor. (mostly white males are doing the kill'n)

    You question Reason as a non-bias source (not saying they are) and then link wiki? Dude really? What sorta source do you prefer? (pick one)

    https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...oblem-exposed/
    Fact check: Where do Australians get illegal guns? - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...-guns-n2139019
    https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/7...r-illegal-guns
    Firearms in Australia’s Black Market | Gun Control in the U.S
    https://www.theage.com.au/interactiv...city/day1.html
    ForDebating.com is now in beta.

    We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.


    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWA...qbq14lsJZjr6GQ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,780
    your problem with the wiki article is what?

    Oh and by the way

    http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
    Last edited by Paleoichneum; February 24th, 2018 at 10:02 PM.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Coveny View Post
    Here you talk about how they are what people want.
    Yes. Commercial news services make money via ad revenue. The more people watch their show (or click on their stories) the more money they make. Thus they bring people what they want to see.
    Then here you say it's because of fear.
    You said "then" as if I answered the same question two ways. But they were two different issues.

    1) Why do news services report on shootings? News services bring people news of mass shootings because they want to see news of mass shootings.

    2) Why are there mass shootings? As I mentioned, there are a great many answers to that question. Fear is one part of that.
    Dwelling on mass murders creates fear does it not? So by that logic mainstream media creates the echo chamber of fear that it feeds off of.
    To some degree, yes. The media has created a lot of "echo chambers" where people repeat a meme. This isn't anything new; it's been going on for decades.

    However, what is the alternative? Have a law that says news organizations can't report on certain topics? That won't fly in the US, since we place such a high importance on freedom of speech.
    Rather than laying the blame at the new sources feed who are they ones talking about death it's the NRA that is creating fear?
    They are a large source of it, yes.

    A while back a major gun manufacturer (Ruger) pledged to donate $1 to the NRA for every gun they sold. The NRA knows that fear sells guns. So the more fear they could create, the more money they made. That is a powerful incentive to peddle fear.
    I think you might be a bit bias there, the NRA isn't on the TV night and day talking about death.
    They do the best they can, through massive contributions to politicians, large ad buys on TV and the Internet, billboards, public statements etc. And since the more fear they create, the more money they have, it's a vicious circle - successful ad campaigns allow them to have ever larger ad campaigns.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Russian mass media and life in the West
    By BlasW in forum Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 1st, 2014, 04:35 AM
  2. True Love/Oridnary Love
    By Quantime in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
  3. Why do we love women from behind, by they love us from the front?!
    By disman3 in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 6th, 2013, 04:31 AM
  4. Most tragic love stories with unrequited love
    By Raziell in forum History
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •