Notices
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 201 to 230 of 230
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Petition To End Circumcision

  1. #201  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    I am just against making laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    But you aren't against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    As with all laws, it depends upon the severity of the action. If it can be demonstrated that circumcision is a harmful act, I would absolutely be for reconsidering doing so without sufficient reason. I simply have yet to see the evidence that the cons of the act outweigh the pros. Even then, I would need evidence that the cons are sufficiently damaging enough to require government intervention between parent and child.
    You are removing healthy tissue from the body for no other reason than "tradition." That is a Harmful act.

    no, you have been given sufficient evidence. You choose not to recognize it. All of your silly arguments in favor of can be made over male nipple removal big toe removal and any other type body part removal to "prevent" disaster. you arguments to keep it a "parent's decision" are far far weaker than any the anti group have made.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #202  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    [QUOTE=babe;525339]
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Discussion is one thing.

    Asking for the "END OF CIRCUMCISION" is another.
    I'm just for allowing people to decide as adults. I'm also fine with circumcision in children as long as there's an actual medical need(albeit those are very rare).
    And I stand by, IT IS A PARENT'S Decision.
    You have not demonstrated as much
    who was your reply to?

    My son was circumcised at 2 days old....so I have demonstrated that it was a parent's decision.[/QUO

    Sometimes parents do things for their children that they did not do to themselves without knowing the outcome for the child.
    I think you have done what you thought was right and therefore, if it went bad, you would have to bear the pain of watching your son suffer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #203  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Discussion is one thing.

    Asking for the "END OF CIRCUMCISION" is another.
    For some reason that comment just struck me as being lol funny as hell.

    Anyway from all the comments in here it seems there are no medical facts that can be applied nor are there any ethical rights that have force so it really ends up being a matter of opinion without any resolution.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #204  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    You are removing healthy tissue from the body for no other reason than "tradition." That is a Harmful act.
    What if I do it because studies suggest a reduced risk of infant UTI or contraction of STD later in life?

    Also, what evidence do you have that suggests circumcision is harmful enough to warrant government intervention?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #205  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    You are removing healthy tissue from the body for no other reason than "tradition." That is a Harmful act.
    What if I do it because studies suggest a reduced risk of infant UTI or contraction of STD later in life?
    What studies...you have to consider the source. You can't pull any old crap off the internet to support your claim. Sources have to be credible. and right now the AMA says there is no viable reason. The AMA is extremely credible. one could argue the most credible



    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana
    Also, what evidence do you have that suggests circumcision is harmful enough to warrant government intervention?
    let me turn your quote back around on you... What evidence do you have to suggest Skull elongation is harmful enough to warrant government intervention?

    Aside from that... the fact that you're denying a choice to another human being concerning their own body solely on the basis that they can't protest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #206  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    You are removing healthy tissue from the body for no other reason than "tradition." That is a Harmful act.
    What if I do it because studies suggest a reduced risk of infant UTI or contraction of STD later in life?

    Also, what evidence do you have that suggests circumcision is harmful enough to warrant government intervention?
    Sometimes just simply common sense is enough to know you do not remove healthy tissue and bring about possible infections and who knows what. I think Dan Hunters argument is sound and maybe you need to look a little closer at what he is saying.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #207  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    I am just against making laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    But you aren't against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    As with all laws, it depends upon the severity of the action.
    But both you and billvon have stated it as a general principle that you are against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    And yet there are so very many exceptions to that principle that it is not principle at all.
    It has been used as some kind of support for advocating circumcision but it means nothing - it is just a misleading sound-bite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If it can be demonstrated that circumcision is a harmful act,
    You wouldn't accept crackpots demanding that people prove them wrong, so I am not sure why I need to prove you wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I simply have yet to see the evidence that the cons of the act outweigh the pros.
    Since the science is undecided on the matter, circumcision should not be performed.
    We should not be experimenting on babies.
    If you want to test if circumcision is beneficial - test it on consenting adults.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #208  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    I am just against making laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    But you aren't against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    As with all laws, it depends upon the severity of the action.
    But both you and billvon have stated it as a general principle that you are against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    And yet there are so very many exceptions to that principle that it is not principle at all.
    It has been used as some kind of support for advocating circumcision but it means nothing - it is just a misleading sound-bite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If it can be demonstrated that circumcision is a harmful act,
    You wouldn't accept crackpots demanding that people prove them wrong, so I am not sure why I need to prove you wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I simply have yet to see the evidence that the cons of the act outweigh the pros.
    Since the science is undecided on the matter, circumcision should not be performed.
    We should not be experimenting on babies.
    If you want to test if circumcision is beneficial - test it on consenting adults.
    Eloquently stated. all of it.
    Stargate and dan hunter like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #209  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    I am just against making laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    But you aren't against laws that force parents to accept someone else's decisions about their children.
    In the immortal words of Dan Cook -

    Yeah. Whatever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #210  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    I am positive, MY son, will make the same decision.

    Till there is UTTER SCIENTIFIC PROOF and CITATION of it being bad thing......I'd do it again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #211  
    Forum Sophomore Busy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    106
    This page lists statements from medical regulatory bodies around the world about their positions on RIC, most of which are overwhelmingly against the practice (the USA being the only exception).
    Circumcision Policy Statements
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #212  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    This page lists statements from medical regulatory bodies around the world about their positions on RIC, most of which are overwhelmingly against the practice (the USA being the only exception).
    Circumcision Policy Statements
    those are not scientific "CITATIONS"...they count in this group....only CITATIONS do.

    The Royal Australasian College of Physicians published a new position statement, prepared under the supervision of Professor David A. Forbes of the University of Western Australia, regarding the non-therapeutic circumcision of male infants in September 2010. The statement says:

    "After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand."
    •Circumcision of Male Infants. Sydney: Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2010.


    believes isn't citation....


    Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head of the penis. It is an ancient practice that has its origin in religious rites. Today, many parents have their sons circumcised for religious or other reasons.

    When is circumcision done?

    Circumcision is usually performed on the first or second day after birth. (Among the Jewish population, circumcision is performed on the eighth day.) The procedure becomes more complicated and riskier in older babies, children, and men.

    How is circumcision done?

    During a circumcision, the foreskin is freed from the head of the penis (glans), and the excess foreskin is clipped off. If done in the newborn period, the procedure takes about five to 10 minutes. Adult circumcision takes about one hour. The circumcision generally heals in five to seven days.

    Is circumcision necessary?

    The use of circumcision for medical or health reasons is an issue that continues to be debated. Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit. The procedure may be recommended in older boys and men to treat phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) or to treat an infection of the penis.

    Parents should talk with their doctor about the benefits and risks of the procedure before making a decision regarding circumcision of a male child. Other factors, such as your culture, religion, and personal preference, will also be involved in your decision.

    What are the benefits of circumcision?

    There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:










    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

    Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

    Note: Some studies show that good hygiene can help prevent certain problems with the penis, including infections and swelling, even if the penis is not circumcised. In addition, using a condom during sex will help prevent STDs and other infections.

    What are the risks of circumcision?

    Like any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with circumcision. However, this risk is low. Problems associated with circumcision include:
    Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis

    Circumcision: Get the Facts, Benefits, Risks & More

    Pediatricians Decide Boys Are Better Off Circumcised Than Not : Shots - Health News : NPR

    The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday announced its first major shift on circumcision in more than a decade, concluding that the health benefits of the procedure clearly outweigh any risks.

    "There is clear evidence that supports the health benefits of circumcision," said Susan Blank, who led the 14-member task force that formulated the new policy being published in the journal Pediatrics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #213  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I am positive, MY son, will make the same decision.
    You can be as positive as you want but it's all speculation... as far as your son making the same decision, you can't really say for sure and neither can he. Until he is in that situation nobody has anyway of saying for sure. You made that decision for him and so he has no way of knowing for sure 'cause he doesn't know both sides of the situation. He only knows what mommy chose for him.


    Quote Originally Posted by babe
    Till there is UTTER SCIENTIFIC PROOF and CITATION of it being bad thing......I'd do it again.
    cutting off healthy skin/tissue is always a "bad thing." You can't get around that. would you have liked it if your parents had your breasts cut off when you were little to keep you from getting breast cancer? I would bet if you had lived your whole life without them and many people you knew were in the same boat you would be ok with it, but that doesn't make it ok.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #214  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    This page lists statements from medical regulatory bodies around the world about their positions on RIC, most of which are overwhelmingly against the practice (the USA being the only exception).
    Circumcision Policy Statements
    those are not scientific "CITATIONS"...they count in this group....only CITATIONS do.

    The Royal Australasian College of Physicians published a new position statement, prepared under the supervision of Professor David A. Forbes of the University of Western Australia, regarding the non-therapeutic circumcision of male infants in September 2010. The statement says:

    "After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand."
    •Circumcision of Male Infants. Sydney: Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2010.


    believes isn't citation....


    Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head of the penis. It is an ancient practice that has its origin in religious rites. Today, many parents have their sons circumcised for religious or other reasons.

    When is circumcision done?

    Circumcision is usually performed on the first or second day after birth. (Among the Jewish population, circumcision is performed on the eighth day.) The procedure becomes more complicated and riskier in older babies, children, and men.

    How is circumcision done?

    During a circumcision, the foreskin is freed from the head of the penis (glans), and the excess foreskin is clipped off. If done in the newborn period, the procedure takes about five to 10 minutes. Adult circumcision takes about one hour. The circumcision generally heals in five to seven days.

    Is circumcision necessary?

    The use of circumcision for medical or health reasons is an issue that continues to be debated. Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit. The procedure may be recommended in older boys and men to treat phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) or to treat an infection of the penis.

    Parents should talk with their doctor about the benefits and risks of the procedure before making a decision regarding circumcision of a male child. Other factors, such as your culture, religion, and personal preference, will also be involved in your decision.

    What are the benefits of circumcision?

    There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:










    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

    Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

    Note: Some studies show that good hygiene can help prevent certain problems with the penis, including infections and swelling, even if the penis is not circumcised. In addition, using a condom during sex will help prevent STDs and other infections.

    What are the risks of circumcision?

    Like any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with circumcision. However, this risk is low. Problems associated with circumcision include:
    Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis

    Circumcision: Get the Facts, Benefits, Risks & More

    Pediatricians Decide Boys Are Better Off Circumcised Than Not : Shots - Health News : NPR

    The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday announced its first major shift on circumcision in more than a decade, concluding that the health benefits of the procedure clearly outweigh any risks.

    "There is clear evidence that supports the health benefits of circumcision," said Susan Blank, who led the 14-member task force that formulated the new policy being published in the journal Pediatrics.
    I'll take the medical community over NPR any day. funny for you that the medical community is just speculations because "'believe' isn't a citation" but in order to prove your point you write "some evidence that circumcision..." is perfectly fine for you to use, even though there is more evidence to suggest circumcision isn't necessary. You think the medical community "Believes" what they do based on lottery pull?

    Notice the very first risk involved is "Pain"? Risks of Bleeding and infections. Irritation of the Gland. Increased meatitis. all of those are not likely to occur if there is no circumcision. Aside from that, you're going to take a 1 or two day old and inflict harm on them? they are brand new to the world and you're welcoming gift is to hurt them? just incredible!.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #215  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,565
    I will note that as a gay man I like uncircumcised more then circumcised, asa counterpoint to the assertion that women prefer cut.


    Also to the argument that cutting reduces UTIs and STDs later in life. The same benefits are gained from proper hygiene training and proper use of condoms. The gains are small, and given as easily by other methods then just the process of circumcision.
    anticorncob28 and grmpysmrf like this.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #216  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    This page lists statements from medical regulatory bodies around the world about their positions on RIC, most of which are overwhelmingly against the practice (the USA being the only exception).
    Circumcision Policy Statements
    those are not scientific "CITATIONS"...they count in this group....only CITATIONS do.

    The Royal Australasian College of Physicians published a new position statement, prepared under the supervision of Professor David A. Forbes of the University of Western Australia, regarding the non-therapeutic circumcision of male infants in September 2010. The statement says:

    "After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand."
    •Circumcision of Male Infants. Sydney: Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2010.


    believes isn't citation....


    Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, the tissue covering the head of the penis. It is an ancient practice that has its origin in religious rites. Today, many parents have their sons circumcised for religious or other reasons.

    When is circumcision done?

    Circumcision is usually performed on the first or second day after birth. (Among the Jewish population, circumcision is performed on the eighth day.) The procedure becomes more complicated and riskier in older babies, children, and men.

    How is circumcision done?

    During a circumcision, the foreskin is freed from the head of the penis (glans), and the excess foreskin is clipped off. If done in the newborn period, the procedure takes about five to 10 minutes. Adult circumcision takes about one hour. The circumcision generally heals in five to seven days.

    Is circumcision necessary?

    The use of circumcision for medical or health reasons is an issue that continues to be debated. Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit. The procedure may be recommended in older boys and men to treat phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) or to treat an infection of the penis.

    Parents should talk with their doctor about the benefits and risks of the procedure before making a decision regarding circumcision of a male child. Other factors, such as your culture, religion, and personal preference, will also be involved in your decision.

    What are the benefits of circumcision?

    There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:










    A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

    Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

    Note: Some studies show that good hygiene can help prevent certain problems with the penis, including infections and swelling, even if the penis is not circumcised. In addition, using a condom during sex will help prevent STDs and other infections.

    What are the risks of circumcision?

    Like any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with circumcision. However, this risk is low. Problems associated with circumcision include:
    Pain
    Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
    Irritation of the glans
    Increased risk of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
    Risk of injury to the penis

    Circumcision: Get the Facts, Benefits, Risks & More

    Pediatricians Decide Boys Are Better Off Circumcised Than Not : Shots - Health News : NPR

    The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday announced its first major shift on circumcision in more than a decade, concluding that the health benefits of the procedure clearly outweigh any risks.

    "There is clear evidence that supports the health benefits of circumcision," said Susan Blank, who led the 14-member task force that formulated the new policy being published in the journal Pediatrics.
    I'll take the medical community over NPR any day. funny for you that the medical community is just speculations because "'believe' isn't a citation" but in order to prove your point you write "some evidence that circumcision..." is perfectly fine for you to use, even though there is more evidence to suggest circumcision isn't necessary. You think the medical community "Believes" what they do based on lottery pull?

    Notice the very first risk involved is "Pain"? Risks of Bleeding and infections. Irritation of the Gland. Increased meatitis. all of those are not likely to occur if there is no circumcision. Aside from that, you're going to take a 1 or two day old and inflict harm on them? they are brand new to the world and you're welcoming gift is to hurt them? just incredible!.
    In some way it is the same as slapping the baby on it's bottom at birth. We are told it is good so the babies take their first breath, there is really no evidence that, that is so. However the baby is introduced into the world in pain.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #217  
    Forum Sophomore Busy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post

    In some way it is the same as slapping the baby on it's bottom at birth. We are told it is good so the babies take their first breath, there is really no evidence that, that is so. However the baby is introduced into the world in pain.
    Where doe this still happen? It certainly didn't happen when I birthed my 2 babies! They were both placed on my chest for calming skin to skin contact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #218  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    In some way it is the same as slapping the baby on it's bottom at birth. We are told it is good so the babies take their first breath, there is really no evidence that, that is so. However the baby is introduced into the world in pain.
    Seldom done in the developed world anymore. As for evidence you are probably right since it was based in misunderstanding of what initiated respiration. Interestings I found this 1930's abstract that addressed the misunderstandings but, as many of us know, shocking was still accepted for generations. JAMA Network | JAMA Pediatrics | RESUSCITATION OF ASPHYXIATED NEW-BORN INFANTS

    Also don't think it's a reasonable comparison between a few moments of infant suffering and days of suffering.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #219  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    In some way it is the same as slapping the baby on it's bottom at birth. We are told it is good so the babies take their first breath, there is really no evidence that, that is so. However the baby is introduced into the world in pain.
    Seldom done in the developed world anymore. As for evidence you are probably right since it was based in misunderstanding of what initiated respiration. Interestings I found this 1930's abstract that addressed the misunderstandings but, as many of us know, shocking was still accepted for generations. JAMA Network | JAMA Pediatrics | RESUSCITATION OF ASPHYXIATED NEW-BORN INFANTS

    Also don't think it's a reasonable comparison between a few moments of infant suffering and days of suffering.
    The comparison was about coming into the world with pain, I may be wrong but a lot of our violent children today could have been introduced to violence this way. There are subtle influences going on in infant-hood, especially at birth.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #220  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    I believe circumcision should only be considered when there is actual medical benefit rather than aesthetic or cultural reasons.

    It's not like getting a piercing or a tattoo, when you're actually amputating healthy tissue for no real necessity then it seems (to me at least) silly at best, harmful at worst.

    Plus, speaking from personal preference I find healthy uncircumcised penises to be much more aesthetically appealing and sexually attractive than circumcised ones. Scaring looks... inappropriate.

    I don't believe circumcision should ever be considered until at least the person in question is old enough to give informed consent on what to do with their own body, unless there's a medical problem that simply can't wait long enough for the individual to mature to that emotional/psychological stage and give consent in time.

    The idea of physical bodily modification for no "real" reason (as in, cultural standards or simple fashion statement) is something I personally find unappealing. I don't count piercings among this (although I would consider those "earlobe holes" to be such) as such things are usually small and potentially heal-able from, and tattoos are simply decoration rather than modification.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #221  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    In the immortal words of Dan Cook -
    Yeah. Whatever.
    You appear to have utterly failed.
    Oh well.
    Better luck next time.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #222  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    ...
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #223  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    believes isn't citation....
    Their use of the word 'believe' was a figure of speech.
    It is the phraseology often used by scientists in public announcements.
    They are not claiming some quasi-religious belief.
    They are simply saying that the balance of evidence does not support routine circumcisions.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #224  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    I will note that as a gay man I like uncircumcised more then circumcised, asa counterpoint to the assertion that women prefer cut.


    Also to the argument that cutting reduces UTIs and STDs later in life. The same benefits are gained from proper hygiene training and proper use of condoms. The gains are small, and given as easily by other methods then just the process of circumcision.
    At the risk of turning the thread in a different direction, is there any particular reason you like uncirced to circed? I normally wouldn't ask cause it's none of my business but since you put it out there I thought I would ask. I understand if you don't want to answer and no offense is taken on my part if you don't, also no offense meant on mine in asking.
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #225  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post

    In some way it is the same as slapping the baby on it's bottom at birth. We are told it is good so the babies take their first breath, there is really no evidence that, that is so. However the baby is introduced into the world in pain.
    Where doe this still happen? It certainly didn't happen when I birthed my 2 babies! They were both placed on my chest for calming skin to skin contact.
    I've heard they do this still in some circumstances if the baby doesn't come out screaming/crying... I can't confirm it though. Does seem kinda funny, treating a newborn like an old TV or your locker at high school or the Fonz getting a free play on the juke box! Is there nothing a smack can't fix?
    Stargate and Seneca like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #226  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    NONE OF MY BABIES were ever spanked! They were handed to me.

    I stand on my decision. I would circumcise my son.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #227  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    NONE OF MY BABIES were ever spanked! They were handed to me.
    My son was also handed to me (he was a C-section baby. My wife was sedated and they wouldn't let her hold him 'til she was sewn up) but he was also screaming.
    I got to cut the umbilical cord too.

    Quote Originally Posted by babe
    I stand on my decision. I would circumcise my son.
    You can go ahead and stand by your decision but the fact remains ultimately that it's still not your decision to make.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #228  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    This could be interesting for some.

    Circumcision The Whole Story - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #229  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    I will note that as a gay man I like uncircumcised more then circumcised, asa counterpoint to the assertion that women prefer cut.


    Also to the argument that cutting reduces UTIs and STDs later in life. The same benefits are gained from proper hygiene training and proper use of condoms. The gains are small, and given as easily by other methods then just the process of circumcision.
    At the risk of turning the thread in a different direction, is there any particular reason you like uncirced to circed? I normally wouldn't ask cause it's none of my business but since you put it out there I thought I would ask. I understand if you don't want to answer and no offense is taken on my part if you don't, also no offense meant on mine in asking.
    Thanks
    There are a number or reasons, I will say Im vers and thus the foreskin makes things more pleasurable.
    Daecon and grmpysmrf like this.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #230  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    I will note that as a gay man I like uncircumcised more then circumcised, asa counterpoint to the assertion that women prefer cut.


    Also to the argument that cutting reduces UTIs and STDs later in life. The same benefits are gained from proper hygiene training and proper use of condoms. The gains are small, and given as easily by other methods then just the process of circumcision.
    At the risk of turning the thread in a different direction, is there any particular reason you like uncirced to circed? I normally wouldn't ask cause it's none of my business but since you put it out there I thought I would ask. I understand if you don't want to answer and no offense is taken on my part if you don't, also no offense meant on mine in asking.
    Thanks
    There are a number or reasons, I will say Im vers and thus the foreskin makes things more pleasurable.
    Thank you for not replying with an expletive.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Record cold at the end of 2013 means the end of Global Warming.
    By Ken Fabos in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: February 11th, 2014, 03:02 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Blood clotting and circumcision
    By pipi in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 02:50 AM
  4. UK petition laws.
    By MHFenix in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
  5. Say NO: petition...
    By Deathridesahorse in forum Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •