Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trivium

Thread: Suicide and communism (actual communism not pseudo-communism)

  1. #1 Suicide and communism (actual communism not pseudo-communism) 
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Obvious theory here since, as discussed (ad nauseum) in the other thread, the practice of communism has never actually been recorded.


    Since communism is all about the individuals that make up the state, individual participation is absolutely crucial for the group...
    So, would suicide be allowed in a communist state?
    I'm thinking no. but then that lends itself to the argument over self. Are you in control of yourself or is that too up for the vote of the group?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,095
    Yes, it would (IMHO) (be allowed). Because it would be one less mouth to feed for a lifetime and humanity should never become an ant hive where every person has to dish out a live of hard work just to make the hive work as a while. Communism is about sharing the wealth, not creating drones that work with an aim of procreating said society.

    As a bonus, that person has experienced the ultimate free will.


    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Obvious theory here since, as discussed (ad nauseum) in the other thread, the practice of communism has never actually been recorded.


    Since communism is all about the individuals that make up the state, individual participation is absolutely crucial for the group...
    So, would suicide be allowed in a communist state?
    I'm thinking no. but then that lends itself to the argument over self. Are you in control of yourself or is that too up for the vote of the group?
    Suicide is a crime. Under communism, the perpetrator would be executed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Obvious theory here since, as discussed (ad nauseum) in the other thread, the practice of communism has never actually been recorded.


    Since communism is all about the individuals that make up the state, individual participation is absolutely crucial for the group...
    So, would suicide be allowed in a communist state?
    I'm thinking no. but then that lends itself to the argument over self. Are you in control of yourself or is that too up for the vote of the group?
    Suicide is a crime. Under communism, the perpetrator would be executed.
    ??? Did you get that from the legal dictionary of communism published by Marx in, wait a minute? where did you get that from?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoko View Post
    Yes, it would (IMHO) (be allowed). Because it would be one less mouth to feed for a lifetime and humanity should never become an ant hive where every person has to dish out a live of hard work just to make the hive work as a while. Communism is about sharing the wealth, not creating drones that work with an aim of procreating said society.

    As a bonus, that person has experienced the ultimate free will.
    Well, the one less mouth to feed, I think, would be neither here nor there because under a communist state the idea of feeding a mouth would be as normal as breathing (back to the altruism needed for Communism)

    The ant hive is a pretty decent analogy, I think, but falls a little short because in ants there's clearly a class system and "ant hive" certainly conjures up negative images and feelings but for the sake of simplicity the ant hive is a really good comparison.

    As far as working for the better of the community, I'd think suicide would be a no no because that person's responsibilities would now befall everyone else, which wouldn't necessarily be negative in terms of chore distribution but definitely a negative in messing up an oiled machine. Each member is just as valuable as the next and if one were to leave that would degrade the community.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Obvious theory here since, as discussed (ad nauseum) in the other thread, the practice of communism has never actually been recorded.


    Since communism is all about the individuals that make up the state, individual participation is absolutely crucial for the group...
    So, would suicide be allowed in a communist state?
    I'm thinking no. but then that lends itself to the argument over self. Are you in control of yourself or is that too up for the vote of the group?
    Suicide is a crime. Under communism, the perpetrator would be executed.
    ??? Did you get that from the legal dictionary of communism published by Marx in, wait a minute? where did you get that from?
    LOL at the both of you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Silly question. Under communism with a little "c" (I got my mind right) there is no need for laws. People will have evolved into magical beings with no greed or malice. So there isn't any law required, and nobody would even think of committing suicide.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Silly question. Under communism with a little "c" (I got my mind right) there is no need for laws. People will have evolved into magical beings with no greed or malice. So there isn't any law required, and nobody would even think of committing suicide.
    No, simp!

    Yes, there will be no greed or malice but it's not "magic" it's the idea that society can progress. Progress that may be able to be made if the scare tactics and the propaganda of the ultra capitalists were to be ignored. (probably not for a long time since you are a shining example that fear can completely control a person.)

    Yes, law is required and it's voted on by the entire COMMUNity. AND if you think that being subjected to greed or malice are the only reasons anybody wants to commit suicide then I have two things for you...

    #1 you apparently have no concept of depression or what can cause it.

    #2 you have inadvertently started arguing against capitalism, because under capitalism you have greed and malice which, according to your above statement, leads to suicide.

    Good one, chief!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Silly question. Under communism with a little "c" (I got my mind right) there is no need for laws. People will have evolved into magical beings with no greed or malice. So there isn't any law required, and nobody would even think of committing suicide.
    No, simp!

    Yes, there will be no greed or malice but it's not "magic" it's the idea that society can progress. Progress that may be able to be made if the scare tactics and the propaganda of the ultra capitalists were to be ignored. (probably not for a long time since you are a shining example that fear can completely control a person.)

    Yes, law is required and it's voted on by the entire COMMUNity. AND if you think that being subjected to greed or malice are the only reasons anybody wants to commit suicide then I have two things for you...

    #1 you apparently have no concept of depression or what can cause it.

    #2 you have inadvertently started arguing against capitalism, because under capitalism you have greed and malice which, according to your above statement, leads to suicide.

    Good one, chief!
    I think we've already established Harold's knowledge of social phenomena is iffy. I still don't see why suicide wouldn't be allowed under communism, the right to life is a fundamental right, and the right to take it should be even more fundamental.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Silly question. Under communism with a little "c" (I got my mind right) there is no need for laws. People will have evolved into magical beings with no greed or malice. So there isn't any law required, and nobody would even think of committing suicide.
    No, simp!

    Yes, there will be no greed or malice but it's not "magic" it's the idea that society can progress. Progress that may be able to be made if the scare tactics and the propaganda of the ultra capitalists were to be ignored. (probably not for a long time since you are a shining example that fear can completely control a person.)

    Yes, law is required and it's voted on by the entire COMMUNity. AND if you think that being subjected to greed or malice are the only reasons anybody wants to commit suicide then I have two things for you...

    #1 you apparently have no concept of depression or what can cause it.

    #2 you have inadvertently started arguing against capitalism, because under capitalism you have greed and malice which, according to your above statement, leads to suicide.

    Good one, chief!
    I think we've already established Harold's knowledge of social phenomena is iffy. I still don't see why suicide wouldn't be allowed under communism, the right to life is a fundamental right, and the right to take it should be even more fundamental.
    I have no other way of explaining it other than the way I have. I understand your point too. You're right, by not allowing it, it turns the society into a type of self imposed slavery. Maybe a paradox?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Common Misconceptions about Communism
    By Devon Keogh in forum Politics
    Replies: 319
    Last Post: March 6th, 2014, 07:35 AM
  2. Land Distribution Communism/Capitalism Hybrid
    By kojax in forum Business & Economics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
  3. How Reagan did beat Communism.
    By timel in forum History
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: March 15th, 2012, 03:28 PM
  4. Communism.
    By mmatt9876 in forum Politics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2011, 07:24 AM
  5. communism, capitalism, fascism
    By jjl034 in forum Politics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: April 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •