Notices
Results 1 to 62 of 62
Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 3 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 3 Post By Pong
  • 1 Post By Pong
  • 1 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 3 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda
  • 1 Post By RedPanda

Thread: Freedom of speech on U.S. TV?

  1. #1 Freedom of speech on U.S. TV? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    .


    Last edited by Stanley514; September 6th, 2017 at 06:58 PM.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,568
    what exactly are you wanting to discuss?


    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior TridentBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Fox News: 12 Year Old Girl Tells the Truth about Georgia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DjcJQ5Re-M
    Regarding the Russia-Georgia War of 2008?
    Russia
    Was that ever censored or something?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by TridentBlue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Fox News: 12 Year Old Girl Tells the Truth about Georgia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DjcJQ5Re-M
    Regarding the Russia-Georgia War of 2008?
    Russia
    Was that ever censored or something?
    Was what censored?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Please specify what you are talking about, so we can provide opinions and or assistance.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    I think his point is related to the "Russia caused the conflict" spin which America was using and the "Fox News Cuts Off American Girl for Thanking Russian Troops" spin that Russia was using.
    (But you only need to watch the video to see that he doesn't cut her off.)

    I don't think there was censorship - but it definitely didn't fit in with the picture Fox News was trying to paint.

    Maybe if Russia and America grew the fuck up, they could then stop playing these stupid games.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    I think his point is related to the "Russia caused the conflict" spin which America was using and the "Fox News Cuts Off American Girl for Thanking Russian Troops" spin that Russia was using.
    (But you only need to watch the video to see that he doesn't cut her off.)

    I don't think there was censorship - but it definitely didn't fit in with the picture Fox News was trying to paint.

    Maybe if Russia and America grew the fuck up, they could then stop playing these stupid games.
    What picture was Fox News trying to paint? What stupid games are Russia and America playing?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    It does rather seem to be a case of some propaganda games being played out. If we realise that when the Soviet Union started to come apart at the seems it didn't quite break up into countries we can all recognise. This was definately the case with Georgia and South Ossetia.

    Whilst Georgia wanted to break away from Russia and its control over their country and region they didn't want South Ossetia breaking away from Georgia. The Georgians considered South Ossetia as part of Georgia and the rise of these tensions led to the conflict in 2008.

    At the time America and the West in general were all backing/supporting the Georgians through rhetoric and propaganda, the conflict being shown in the West was generally portrayed as the Georgians being attacked by their powerful Russian neighbour.

    However in Russia and South Ossetia, which is a break away region of Georgia that has received some partial recognition as an independent state - though not by most Western countries, it was being billed as a Georgian invasion and an attack upon the near defenceless South Ossetians with the Russian military forces fighting to liberate them from the Georgian aggressors.

    The reality of the Russian involvement was much more likely than not about gaining a propaganda advantage over the Georgians who were certainly out of favour with Moscow for rejecting Russian influence and turning to the West. Also it was probably designed to send a message to the West that they shouldn't get involved with, and should stay out of disputes on their doorstep, we again should remember here that the east, west and southern borders of South Ossetia all reside within Georgia, whilst the South Ossetian northern border extends along the Russian border.

    So whilst this minor conflict was taking place, the much larger propaganda war was being played out on television sets around the world.
    sculptor, babe and Stargate like this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Is this about Georgia O'keeffe?
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It does rather seem to be a case of some propaganda games being played out. If we realise that when the Soviet Union started to come apart at the seems it didn't quite break up into countries we can all recognise. This was definately the case with Georgia and South Ossetia.

    Whilst Georgia wanted to break away from Russia and its control over their country and region they didn't want South Ossetia breaking away from Georgia. The Georgians considered South Ossetia as part of Georgia and the rise of these tensions led to the conflict in 2008.

    At the time America and the West in general were all backing/supporting the Georgians through rhetoric and propaganda, the conflict being shown in the West was generally portrayed as the Georgians being attacked by their powerful Russian neighbour.

    However in Russia and South Ossetia, which is a break away region of Georgia that has received some partial recognition as an independent state - though not by most Western countries, it was being billed as a Georgian invasion and an attack upon the near defenceless South Ossetians with the Russian military forces fighting to liberate them from the Georgian aggressors.

    The reality of the Russian involvement was much more likely than not about gaining a propaganda advantage over the Georgians who were certainly out of favour with Moscow for rejecting Russian influence and turning to the West. Also it was probably designed to send a message to the West that they shouldn't get involved with, and should stay out of disputes on their doorstep, we again should remember here that the east, west and southern borders of South Ossetia all reside within Georgia, whilst the South Ossetian northern border extends along the Russian border.

    So whilst this minor conflict was taking place, the much larger propaganda war was being played out on television sets around the world.
    ok(i can't use youtube? computer problem? claims i have to download a newer version of flash which never seems to finish loading---gee darn)

    after reading this, I wonder if the choice of location for the russian winter olympics is part of this showmanship campaign?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post

    ok(i can't use youtube? computer problem? claims i have to download a newer version of flash which never seems to finish loading---gee darn)

    after reading this, I wonder if the choice of location for the russian winter olympics is part of this showmanship campaign?
    Hey it could be, though I've not heard of any specific link. The choice of Sochi could also have alot to do with the its location along the Black Sea, as many of the towns around the black sea were resorts for the favoured elite in the USSR period.

    Right now though Russia has far more publicity problems over its anti-gay laws and how this will impact on the winter olympics with many people already threatening to boycott them, so certainly if they were hoping to use these games for propaganda purposes then it's back firing massively.
    babe likes this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What picture was Fox News trying to paint?
    That Georgia were completely blameless in the conflict; that it was all Russia's fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What stupid games are Russia and America playing?
    I am not sure I can educate you about all that's been happening over the past several decades in a single forum post.
    Perhaps you should have paid more attention while it was happening.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Right now though Russia has far more publicity problems over its anti-gay laws and how this will impact on the winter olympics with many people already threatening to boycott them, so certainly if they were hoping to use these games for propaganda purposes then it's back firing massively.
    They could learn a thing or two from how China handled the Olympics - but I hope they don't.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    .
    Last edited by Stanley514; September 6th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Well, but this dude abused innocent girl and woman almost making them to wept.
    No he didn't.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What picture was Fox News trying to paint?
    That Georgia were completely blameless in the conflict; that it was all Russia's fault.
    That's a stretch, given that they put on two people who gave the Russian side of the story, and none giving the Georgian side.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Well, but this dude abused innocent girl and woman almost making them to wept.
    What about official apologies of TV channel to them (or government) and maybe some compensation?
    What dude abused an innocent girl and woman?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What picture was Fox News trying to paint?
    That Georgia were completely blameless in the conflict; that it was all Russia's fault.
    That's a stretch, given that they put on two people who gave the Russian side of the story, and none giving the Georgian side.
    And that's why it wasn't the picture Fox News wanted to paint.
    You are a little slow aren't you.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What picture was Fox News trying to paint?
    That Georgia were completely blameless in the conflict; that it was all Russia's fault.
    That's a stretch, given that they put on two people who gave the Russian side of the story, and none giving the Georgian side.
    And that's why it wasn't the picture Fox News wanted to paint.
    You are a little slow aren't you.
    What the hell are you talking about? Why would they put on a couple of Russians and let them complain about the Georgians, if they wanted to paint the Russians as the villains?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    What the hell are you talking about?
    Considering you haven't even heard of The Cold War, I am not surprised that this is beyond your understanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Why would they put on a couple of Russians...
    Because they were Americans coming from South Ossetia.
    (I know you are hard of learning, so I'll point out that South Ossetia was part of Georgia, not Russia. I probably need to also point out that America is not part of Russia either.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    ...and let them complain about the Georgians
    They expected Americans coming from Georgia to complain about Russia.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    ...and let them complain about the Georgians
    They expected Americans coming from Georgia to complain about Russia.
    How do you know what they expected?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    ...and let them complain about the Georgians
    They expected Americans coming from Georgia to complain about Russia.
    How do you know what they expected?
    I am having to spoon-feed you every single little thing and after I show that you are wrong you don't even have the decency to admit your mistake.

    I see little reason to continue trying to educate the handful of brain cells which currently sit unused at the bottom of your skull, when they are clearly unable to understand even the simplest of things.
    If you cannot figure out that someone would expect Georgians to be critical of Russia (when Russia is attacking Georgia) then your mental capabilities are on a par with that of a child's - and not a particularly smart child, either.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    ...and let them complain about the Georgians
    They expected Americans coming from Georgia to complain about Russia.
    How do you know what they expected?
    I am having to spoon-feed you every single little thing and after I show that you are wrong you don't even have the decency to admit your mistake.

    I see little reason to continue trying to educate the handful of brain cells which currently sit unused at the bottom of your skull, when they are clearly unable to understand even the simplest of things.
    If you cannot figure out that someone would expect Georgians to be critical of Russia (when Russia is attacking Georgia) then your mental capabilities are on a par with that of a child's - and not a particularly smart child, either.
    Don't be condescending. Just make your argument. They introduced the piece by saying they fled out through Russia, so why would you expect them to be critical of Russia. They gave the aunt an extra 30 seconds to complete her tirade against the Georgian government. The woman was from South Ossetia, where many are sympathetic to Russia. There is nothing in the news report to indicate they were ethnic Georgians.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Don't let me stop you from continuing to post your bullshit.
    But it is bullshit.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Harold, we've seen this feigned naiveté of yours before. Is ignorance really the best argument for your politics?
    Strange, RedPanda and grmpysmrf like this.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    Harold, we've seen this feigned naiveté of yours before. Is ignorance really the best argument for your politics?
    How about some facts, Pong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    Who is standing up for a belief? We are just discussing a newscast, and how it may be biased one way or another. You haven't given any feedback.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    Who is standing up for a belief? We are just discussing a newscast, and how it may be biased one way or another. You haven't given any feedback.
    It is sad that I now find myself in the position of having to add a moderator to my ignore list.
    Be that as it may - on you go.
    Good riddance.

    EDIT: Ah. I see I can't add you to the list.
    So I will have to continue to see the pathetic shit you post.
    Well, don't expect anything good to come from that.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    Who is standing up for a belief? We are just discussing a newscast, and how it may be biased one way or another. You haven't given any feedback.
    It is sad that I now find myself in the position of having to add a moderator to my ignore list.
    Be that as it may - on you go.
    Good riddance.

    EDIT: Ah. I see I can't add you to the list.
    So I will have to continue to see the pathetic shit you post.
    Well, don't expect anything good to come from that.
    So, you came back to whine, not to add anything substantial. I'm still waiting to see how you knew Fox News expected someone from the breakaway republic of South Ossetia to be loyal to Georgia, after they had escaped the conflict by fleeing through Russia.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    Who is standing up for a belief? We are just discussing a newscast, and how it may be biased one way or another. You haven't given any feedback.
    It is sad that I now find myself in the position of having to add a moderator to my ignore list.
    Be that as it may - on you go.
    Good riddance.

    EDIT: Ah. I see I can't add you to the list.
    So I will have to continue to see the pathetic shit you post.
    Well, don't expect anything good to come from that.
    So, you came back to whine, not to add anything substantial. I'm still waiting to see how you knew Fox News expected someone from the breakaway republic of South Ossetia to be loyal to Georgia, after they had escaped the conflict by fleeing through Russia.
    Seriously you still don't get what this entire thread is about, even after watching the video, the censorship aspect and reading the video comments?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    No, there's nothing I can do here. I like to see people stand up for their beliefs. What you do with this feedback is up to you.
    Who is standing up for a belief? We are just discussing a newscast, and how it may be biased one way or another. You haven't given any feedback.
    It is sad that I now find myself in the position of having to add a moderator to my ignore list.
    Be that as it may - on you go.
    Good riddance.

    EDIT: Ah. I see I can't add you to the list.
    So I will have to continue to see the pathetic shit you post.
    Well, don't expect anything good to come from that.
    So, you came back to whine, not to add anything substantial. I'm still waiting to see how you knew Fox News expected someone from the breakaway republic of South Ossetia to be loyal to Georgia, after they had escaped the conflict by fleeing through Russia.
    Seriously you still don't get what this entire thread is about, even after watching the video, the censorship aspect and reading the video comments?
    Why don't you spell it out for me? I don't see any censorship.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Why don't you spell it out for me?
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    RedPanda, that's a crappy post even by your standards. It's the kind of post idealogues make when they don't have a logical argument. Thus far, your argument consists of: Fox News expected the woman to be critical of Russia because she was from Georgia. This is false, because she was from South Ossetia, which at the time was fighting against Georgia for independence. There were South Ossetians on both sides of the conflict, divided mainly by their ethnicity. Fox News was already aware that they had fled to Russia, which would make it natural to assume they were on the Russian side. Got anything else in the way of a logical argument?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    RedPanda, that's a crappy post even by your standards.


    Aww diddums.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Hey come on guys let's try and keep this a sensible discussion.

    But working on the basis here that you are being genuine Harold, then I will take the time to explain it to you. Perhaps what we are seeing here is that you have a news channel notorious for disinformation, mistakes and serious factual inaccuracies putting together an interview with a girl and her Aunt and appear to be rather disturbed at the idea that both the young girl and her Aunt are praising and thankful to the Russians.

    During the video it can be clearly seen that the reporter is agitated by the girls words and very reluctant to respond to them, then within seconds they interupt the interview and then finally go back to it with 30 seconds, it's seems fairly clear to most people they couldn't wait to get them off the air fast enough. Furthermore the Aunt is fully aware as what is taking place and she herself eludes to it in the video, she actually says that they don't want to hear it!

    Now we consider the fact that Fox themselves placed restrictions on the video going to air and that the Russians broadcast this interview over and over themselves for propaganda purposes, though in fairness for balance, the Russians did indeed edit it slighty, before broadcasting it, to make it even more blatant as to the attitude towards what the guests were saying.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey come on guys let's try and keep this a sensible discussion.

    But working on the basis here that you are being genuine Harold, then I will take the time to explain it to you. Perhaps what we are seeing here is that you have a news channel notorious for disinformation, mistakes and serious factual inaccuracies putting together an interview with a girl and her Aunt and appear to be rather disturbed at the idea that both the young girl and her Aunt are praising and thankful to the Russians.

    During the video it can be clearly seen that the reporter is agitated by the girls words and very reluctant to respond to them, then within seconds they interupt the interview and then finally go back to it with 30 seconds, it's seems fairly clear to most people they couldn't wait to get them off the air fast enough. Furthermore the Aunt is fully aware as what is taking place and she herself eludes to it in the video, she actually says that they don't want to hear it!

    Now we consider the fact that Fox themselves placed restrictions on the video going to air and that the Russians broadcast this interview over and over themselves for propaganda purposes, though in fairness for balance, the Russians did indeed edit it slighty, before broadcasting it, to make it even more blatant as to the attitude towards what the guests were saying.
    It looks to me like you are basing your assessment largely on your perception of Fox News's reputation, instead of what actually happened. They cut the woman off because they were going to a commercial break. They came back and gave her an extra 30 seconds, during which she did nothing more than reiterate that she blamed Georgia, not Russia. The Fox News guy seemed a little bit surprised, but that's probably because they just wanted to put on a human interest story, not get into the politics one way or another. Georgians probably would have been angry at Fox News for airing this sob story, instead of a sob story involving Russian bombing. So, if anything, I think it was slanted toward the Russian side, but Fox probably didn't want to slant it either way. They just wanted to air a human interest story involving an American girl.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    The Fox News guy seemed a little bit surprised, but that's probably because they just wanted to put on a human interest story, not get into the politics one way or another.
    ...
    They just wanted to air a human interest story involving an American girl.
    How do you know that they just wanted to put on a human interest story?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey come on guys let's try and keep this a sensible discussion.

    But working on the basis here that you are being genuine Harold, then I will take the time to explain it to you. Perhaps what we are seeing here is that you have a news channel notorious for disinformation, mistakes and serious factual inaccuracies putting together an interview with a girl and her Aunt and appear to be rather disturbed at the idea that both the young girl and her Aunt are praising and thankful to the Russians.

    During the video it can be clearly seen that the reporter is agitated by the girls words and very reluctant to respond to them, then within seconds they interupt the interview and then finally go back to it with 30 seconds, it's seems fairly clear to most people they couldn't wait to get them off the air fast enough. Furthermore the Aunt is fully aware as what is taking place and she herself eludes to it in the video, she actually says that they don't want to hear it!

    Now we consider the fact that Fox themselves placed restrictions on the video going to air and that the Russians broadcast this interview over and over themselves for propaganda purposes, though in fairness for balance, the Russians did indeed edit it slighty, before broadcasting it, to make it even more blatant as to the attitude towards what the guests were saying.
    It looks to me like you are basing your assessment largely on your perception of Fox News's reputation, instead of what actually happened. They cut the woman off because they were going to a commercial break. They came back and gave her an extra 30 seconds, during which she did nothing more than reiterate that she blamed Georgia, not Russia. The Fox News guy seemed a little bit surprised, but that's probably because they just wanted to put on a human interest story, not get into the politics one way or another. Georgians probably would have been angry at Fox News for airing this sob story, instead of a sob story involving Russian bombing. So, if anything, I think it was slanted toward the Russian side, but Fox probably didn't want to slant it either way. They just wanted to air a human interest story involving an American girl.
    Ok I didn't base my assessment on Fox News's reputation instead of what happened, it was based on Fox News's reputation as well as what actually happened. A significant difference, and reputation of an information source shouldn't usually be ignored.

    The first time the commerical break was mentioned was within 2 seconds of the girl thanking the Russian troops, something clearly the reporter did not wish to respond to.

    The 30 'extra' seconds as you put it were supposedly the rest of the interview, they weren't extra seconds at all, in fact it just appears they gave her as little time as possible to just get her off the air.

    Your human interest story aspect vis-à-vis the political side seems at best naive. Seriously how many people caught up in wars have stories without political aspects, also most of the entire media coverage of the time was devoted to the politics of the conflict.

    I'm quite sure the Georgians wouldn't have been overly pleased with Fox airing this story because it made some great propaganda for the Russians, again though that seems pretty clearly not what Fox had intended. Also indeed just how many times did Fox themselves actually air this interview.
    John Galt, sculptor and grmpysmrf like this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    895
    I don't know that much about the US media altho' I have heard negative comments about Fox News. On the other hand I have heard that other large US TV companies tend to favour a liberal agenda.
    I am certain, however, it would be extremely difficult to teach the Russians anything about censorship and control of the media generally.
    The best that can be said about them is that things have improved somewhat since the all-pervasive control of the Soviet era.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Don't see the issue with the story at all. It was posed as a human side story about a girl caught in a warzone. That was the whole point in having and directing most of the conversation with the girl. Should have probably just discouraged the adult from speaking and perhaps allowed a bit more time.
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; January 6th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Harold14370 likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    No media has complete freedom, nor objectivity.
    All are biased.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    The Fox News guy seemed a little bit surprised, but that's probably because they just wanted to put on a human interest story, not get into the politics one way or another.
    ...
    They just wanted to air a human interest story involving an American girl.
    How do you know that they just wanted to put on a human interest story?
    I said probably in the previous sentence. That was meant to carry over into the next sentence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    How do you know that they just wanted to put on a human interest story?
    I said probably in the previous sentence. That was meant to carry over into the next sentence.
    Why probably? What makes it more likely to be a human interest story and not either a political story or a combination of both?
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ok I didn't base my assessment on Fox News's reputation instead of what happened, it was based on Fox News's reputation as well as what actually happened. A significant difference, and reputation of an information source shouldn't usually be ignored.
    I disagree about not ignoring the reputation. You have to evaluate it without a bias, otherwise confirmation bias could come into play.
    The first time the commerical break was mentioned was within 2 seconds of the girl thanking the Russian troops, something clearly the reporter did not wish to respond to.
    It is common to warn an interviewee when a commercial break is coming up. When do you think it should have been given?
    The 30 'extra' seconds as you put it were supposedly the rest of the interview, they weren't extra seconds at all, in fact it just appears they gave her as little time as possible to just get her off the air.
    It may only appear so because of your biased interpretation of events. They may have had a limited time allotted for the interview.
    Your human interest story aspect vis-à-vis the political side seems at best naive. Seriously how many people caught up in wars have stories without political aspects, also most of the entire media coverage of the time was devoted to the politics of the conflict.
    An anecdote is not the best way to explore political aspects. There is always collateral damage in any war, which makes for good propaganda. Fox may have requested the interviewees to just tell their story without getting into politics, but then Auntie couldn't resist getting in her dig at Saakashvili.
    I'm quite sure the Georgians wouldn't have been overly pleased with Fox airing this story because it made some great propaganda for the Russians, again though that seems pretty clearly not what Fox had intended. Also indeed just how many times did Fox themselves actually air this interview.
    I agree that Fox probably did not intend to make propaganda. Do you think they should have? I don't know how many times Fox aired it, or how many times they typically air such interviews. Do you have some knowledge about it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Why probably? What makes it more likely to be a human interest story and not either a political story or a combination of both?
    The interviewer did not ask about any political aspects. All his questions were aimed at drawing out the girl's personal experience. He seemed surprised when the interviewees volunteered their political opinions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    An anecdote is not the best way to explore political aspects. There is always collateral damage in any war, which makes for good propaganda. Fox may have requested the interviewees to just tell their story without getting into politics, but then Auntie couldn't resist getting in her dig at Saakashvili.


    (nods). And that's pretty obviously what happened Auntie couldn't just shut up and tried to take time away from the story about the girl.

    Fox News doesn't give a crap about the actual politics of the situation, because quite honestly most American's don't give a crap nor could even get its location within 2000 miles on a map. Human interesting stories though nearly always draws interest.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    [EDIT: Question retracted - see post below]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Why probably? What makes it more likely to be a human interest story and not either a political story or a combination of both?
    The interviewer did not ask about any political aspects. All his questions were aimed at drawing out the girl's personal experience. He seemed surprised when the interviewees volunteered their political opinions.
    Why do you think he was surprised by them volunteering their political opinions? How do you know he wasn't surprised by their pro-Russia stance?

    (EDIT: I am not just playing a "why?" game. I want to know how you came to the conclusion that it was 'voicing a political opinion' that surprised him, rather than the opinion itself.)
    Last edited by RedPanda; January 6th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Why do you think he was surprised by them volunteering their political opinions? How do you know he wasn't surprised by their pro-Russia stance?

    (EDIT: I am not just playing a "why?" game. I want to know how you came to the conclusion that it was 'voicing a political opinion' that surprised him, rather than the opinion itself.)
    As I said before, he introduced the piece by recounting how they escaped to Russia. Normally, one wouldn't escape toward one's attacker, so it should not have been surprising to expect them to be pro-Russia. Plus the fact that she offered her opinion without being asked, and an interviewer would probably only be expecting them to answer the questions. Also, as a responsible journalist, I assume he would want to steer clear of propaganda-like material.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Why probably? What makes it more likely to be a human interest story and not either a political story or a combination of both?
    The interviewer did not ask about any political aspects. All his questions were aimed at drawing out the girl's personal experience. He seemed surprised when the interviewees volunteered their political opinions.
    Why do you think he was surprised by them volunteering their political opinions? How do you know he wasn't surprised by their pro-Russia stance?
    Actually, I retract that question.

    Why do you think he was surprised? I have re-watched the video and there is no surprise displayed.

    This moves me back to the previous question:
    What makes it more likely to be a human interest story and not either a political story or a combination of both?
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Ok.
    I have re-watched the video (again) and one of the key sentences that made me think he was upset at the pro-Russia sentences could be interpreted in 2 very ways.
    This undermines my confidence in my position on this quite a lot.
    Therefore I retract previous claims, etc.
    I am now in the "Not sure" camp.
    Harold14370 likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    Why don't you spell it out for me? I don't see any censorship.
    Proof enough, from your own keyboard that you don't know how to think. Stop watching Fox or at least watch in moderation with some other slightly less right wing version of "news"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    That's a stretch, given that they put on two people who gave the Russian side of the story, and none giving the Georgian side.

    So, much for balanced, huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    It looks to me like you are basing your assessment largely on your perception of Fox News's reputation, instead of what actually happened. They cut the woman off because they were going to a commercial break

    since when do news organization break to commercials in the middle of answers that come i the middle of segments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    but Fox probably didn't want to slant it either way

    Yes, they never do, do they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    I agree that Fox probably did not intend to make propaganda.
    Why would they sway away from their normal routine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    Do you think they should have?

    They definitely should not, which means they should probably shut down as an organization

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    The interviewer did not ask about any political aspects
    The story on it's own is already political (as someone already pointed out)

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    He seemed surprised when the interviewees volunteered their political opinions.

    their political opinions ARE their experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    Normally, one wouldn't escape toward one's attacker, so it should not have been surprising to expect them to be pro-Russia.

    Which means they had an excellent opportunity for a new line of questioning that could shed light on the situation but in true Fox fashion it didn't fit the agenda so they killed it as fast as they could... way to dig for the facts Fox. keep on trucking!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    11
    Just wanted to point out that surely a producer pre-interviewed the girl and aunt and FOX should have known what they were going to talk about before they were put on the air.

    One side note that I found interesting ...

    The 12-year old girl is described as a "hero". I find that rather odd. I would have described her as a "victim". It would seem to me that the term "hero" does not describe her circumstances at all, and is being used too liberally in general these days.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
    Just wanted to point out that surely a producer pre-interviewed the girl and aunt and FOX should have known what they were going to talk about before they were put on the air.
    Before the aunt starts her rant, she says "I know you don't want to hear this" meaning the producers probably asked her not to get into the politics. You can't always predict what will happen.
    One side note that I found interesting ...

    The 12-year old girl is described as a "hero". I find that rather odd. I would have described her as a "victim". It would seem to me that the term "hero" does not describe her circumstances at all, and is being used too liberally in general these days.
    I agree.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    882
    I have finally got around to watching the Fox News clip. To me this is a human interest story, that the American public would have empathy with, because the young girl is an American. The young girl and her aunt pointed out ( quite correctly in my opinion ) that the bombs were being dropped by the Georgians, and that their saviours were the Russians. Good PR for Russia ? Most certainly, yes. Censorship by Fox News ? Most certainly, not.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
    I have finally got around to watching the Fox News clip. To me this is a human interest story, that the American public would have empathy with, because the young girl is an American. The young girl and her aunt pointed out ( quite correctly in my opinion ) that the bombs were being dropped by the Georgians, and that their saviours were the Russians. Good PR for Russia ? Most certainly, yes. Censorship by Fox News ? Most certainly, not.
    The guys was counting her off and not until the aunt started speaking did Fox all of the sudden have to go to a commercial... I understand sometimes they run out of time during segments, but given Fox's history I'm sure they would have found time had she had something to say that they wanted to hear. Same old same old as far as I'm concerned.

    all fox segments go 3:06 before they need to cut to commercial right? that's standard segment length for most networks?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
    I have finally got around to watching the Fox News clip. To me this is a human interest story, that the American public would have empathy with, because the young girl is an American. The young girl and her aunt pointed out ( quite correctly in my opinion ) that the bombs were being dropped by the Georgians, and that their saviours were the Russians. Good PR for Russia ? Most certainly, yes. Censorship by Fox News ? Most certainly, not.
    The guys was counting her off and not until the aunt started speaking did Fox all of the sudden have to go to a commercial... I understand sometimes they run out of time during segments, but given Fox's history I'm sure they would have found time had she had something to say that they wanted to hear. Same old same old as far as I'm concerned.

    all fox segments go 3:06 before they need to cut to commercial right? that's standard segment length for most networks?
    My perception of the Fox News clip remains the same, it is a human interest story, nothing more. Occasionally ideology can cloud ones thinking.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
    I have finally got around to watching the Fox News clip. To me this is a human interest story, that the American public would have empathy with, because the young girl is an American. The young girl and her aunt pointed out ( quite correctly in my opinion ) that the bombs were being dropped by the Georgians, and that their saviours were the Russians. Good PR for Russia ? Most certainly, yes. Censorship by Fox News ? Most certainly, not.
    The guys was counting her off and not until the aunt started speaking did Fox all of the sudden have to go to a commercial... I understand sometimes they run out of time during segments, but given Fox's history I'm sure they would have found time had she had something to say that they wanted to hear. Same old same old as far as I'm concerned.
    They did find more time. After the commercial break.
    all fox segments go 3:06 before they need to cut to commercial right? that's standard segment length for most networks?
    Do you not see how ridiculous you sound?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    I'm very surprised that they would only have 30 seconds left after a commercial break. Also the host's argument that he "can't do anything to prevent the commercial break from happening then" also seems somewhat contrived. I haven't heard any host on any talk show say that before. Maybe it's supposed to happen in a few seconds, but I'd be very surprised if there were no flexibility available for hosts to push the time back a few seconds if the guest is saying something that will improve ratings.

    I think Fox probably doesn't like airing it because it was quite a blunder. It looked unprofessional for the host, and the spouting of politics by the aunt is also not professional. But I think the reason they wanted her off the air was more due to her not having any special credentials that would enable her to speak authoritatively about the politics of her region. It's just bad reporting to let people who can't claim to authoritatively know something spout their opinions.

    I really think her lack of credentials had more to do with him pushing her off the air, rather than her stance being in disagreement with Fox's preferred political position. (Not saying the politics don't weigh in, though, because they probably still do a little.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    RedPanda, that's a crappy post even by your standards. It's the kind of post idealogues make when they don't have a logical argument. Thus far, your argument consists of: Fox News expected the woman to be critical of Russia because she was from Georgia. This is false, because she was from South Ossetia, which at the time was fighting against Georgia for independence. There were South Ossetians on both sides of the conflict, divided mainly by their ethnicity. Fox News was already aware that they had fled to Russia, which would make it natural to assume they were on the Russian side. Got anything else in the way of a logical argument?
    It's possible that Fox might not have done its research, and just assumed anyone who got caught in the battle would see Russia as the bad guys.

    Or maybe they only wanted to hear how violent things were, and didn't think the girl and aunt would throw them a curve by clearly stating their opinions about who was to blame for it all.

    The good thing is that, however we got to this point, it is clear now to many in the world that Ossetians were the victims of racism in Georgia.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf
    ]
    all fox segments go 3:06 before they need to cut to commercial right? that's standard segment length for most networks?
    Do you not see how ridiculous you sound?
    Coming from you this doesn't mean much.

    so 3:06 is the standard time for interviews? one would think it would be more of a round number like 3:00 or 3:30 but whatever. non ridiculous prevails I suppose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    It's just bad reporting to let people who can't claim to authoritatively know something spout their opinions.
    Well - that wouldn't be a first for Fox News.
    grmpysmrf likes this.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    I'm very surprised that they would only have 30 seconds left after a commercial break. Also the host's argument that he "can't do anything to prevent the commercial break from happening then" also seems somewhat contrived. I haven't heard any host on any talk show say that before. Maybe it's supposed to happen in a few seconds, but I'd be very surprised if there were no flexibility available for hosts to push the time back a few seconds if the guest is saying something that will improve ratings.

    I think Fox probably doesn't like airing it because it was quite a blunder. It looked unprofessional for the host, and the spouting of politics by the aunt is also not professional. But I think the reason they wanted her off the air was more due to her not having any special credentials that would enable her to speak authoritatively about the politics of her region. It's just bad reporting to let people who can't claim to authoritatively know something spout their opinions.

    I really think her lack of credentials had more to do with him pushing her off the air, rather than her stance being in disagreement with Fox's preferred political position. (Not saying the politics don't weigh in, though, because they probably still do a little.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    RedPanda, that's a crappy post even by your standards. It's the kind of post idealogues make when they don't have a logical argument. Thus far, your argument consists of: Fox News expected the woman to be critical of Russia because she was from Georgia. This is false, because she was from South Ossetia, which at the time was fighting against Georgia for independence. There were South Ossetians on both sides of the conflict, divided mainly by their ethnicity. Fox News was already aware that they had fled to Russia, which would make it natural to assume they were on the Russian side. Got anything else in the way of a logical argument?
    It's possible that Fox might not have done its research, and just assumed anyone who got caught in the battle would see Russia as the bad guys.

    Or maybe they only wanted to hear how violent things were, and didn't think the girl and aunt would throw them a curve by clearly stating their opinions about who was to blame for it all.

    The good thing is that, however we got to this point, it is clear now to many in the world that Ossetians were the victims of racism in Georgia.
    Odd times for interviews are routine on all channels and often accelerated towards the end.

    I think you are correct about them wanting to end it early though...and it was embarrassing, but mostly because aunty's input was completely unscripted--she was there to support the younger girls human interest story...not take over the interview.

    It had nothing to do with Fox News views on Russia...if they wanted that, they would have gotten an expert to take that position. They didn't provide hardly any context, as best we can tell it wasn't preceded by such as expert, nor was it a theme they were running that day as they often do, nor followed by more stories about Russia--as I said before their audience doesn't give two craps about Russia. It was a simple human interest story about a girl unwittingly caught in a warzone--well or at least intended to be before auty tried to make it a political statement.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Reverse Speech Is Not A Pseudoscience, Reverse Speech Debunked!
    By NotNewsChannel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 16th, 2013, 03:01 AM
  2. So much for freedom of speech.
    By seagypsy in forum Politics
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: April 18th, 2013, 03:10 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 16th, 2013, 07:53 PM
  4. Freedom of speech and religion
    By Pendragon in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: October 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •