Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: Neoliberalism and the arab spring

  1. #1 Neoliberalism and the arab spring 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hi Guys, I would like to know if you can help me with question I have to answer on in an academic level. I need to describe the phenomena of the arab spring and to explain what approach neoliberalism of neoreliasm explain describe the arab spring ?
    You can message me privately also, thanks


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    The Arab spring appears to have been a takeover by Islamic militants. I'll be very surprised to find that neoliberalism had anything to do with it.

    Yes, there were liberal democracies who supported it, thinking it was a democratic revolution. However, neoliberalism as it is described on the Wikipedia page seems to be a philosophy of free market capitalism as advocated by Milton Friedman, Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. Unless I have totally missed something, this was in no way a motivation for the Arab spring.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hi Harold, I think they want me to see it from an international point of view, they want me to come to conclusion what paradigm explains best the arab spring, it s hard task, so what international points can be related to the arab spring beside the Nato striking in Libya?


    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    The Arab spring appears to have been a takeover by Islamic militants. I'll be very surprised to find that neoliberalism had anything to do with it.

    Yes, there were liberal democracies who supported it, thinking it was a democratic revolution. However, neoliberalism as it is described on the Wikipedia page seems to be a philosophy of free market capitalism as advocated by Milton Friedman, Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. Unless I have totally missed something, this was in no way a motivation for the Arab spring.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,322
    The power of global communications.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hi Lynx, yes I mentioned it in Libya, but what about Tunisia, Egypt and Syria from an international point of view? I can't think of anything please help...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D. Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by aprenda1 View Post
    Hi Lynx, yes I mentioned it in Libya, but what about Tunisia, Egypt and Syria from an international point of view? I can't think of anything please help...
    Selective politics in an Islamic medieval shit storm. That is it.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Foreign Affairs is a presitigous international journal dealing with global politics.

    A search of their website for "Arab spring" turns up 68 hits. Each appears to be accompanied by a summary of the related article. I imagine they may also contain further references. If this proves either too much, or too little information I recommend you consider a career in horticulture.

    Search results for ""arab spring"" | Search | Foreign Affairs
    westwind likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by aprenda1 View Post
    Hi Lynx, yes I mentioned it in Libya, but what about Tunisia, Egypt and Syria from an international point of view? I can't think of anything please help...
    Most definitely Egypt as well. And even without out electronic communications, the word of those revolutions would spread to those so inclined.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    See guys they want me to explain the neorealist-neoliberal paradigms based on the reasons citizens went to protest, any ideas?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,151
    they want me to explain the neorealist-neoliberal paradigms


    To me thats like an assignment in blueberry studies asking students to explain how blueberry pies explain the Arab Spring and why Islamic Lybian Rebels created a central Bank right off the bat (When all you have is a hammer, all problems look like nails).

    In any case, imo the official "narrative" propagated to explain Libya and Syria in particular, as something else than regime-change astroturfed civil wars in countries General Clark had indicated were already on a Pentagon hit list in 2001, is, BS.

    Sorry I cant be of much help for your assignment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Yeah. It sounds like the professor wants the students to argue his/her pet perspective for him/her. So he/she has phrased the question in such a manner so that you have to answer "yes" in some form to the question of whether neoliberalism or neorealism played a role. What if you don't think they played a role? Can you still write a paper and get credit?
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by aprenda1 View Post
    Hi Guys, I would like to know if you can help me with question I have to answer on in an academic level. I need to describe the phenomena of the arab spring and to explain what approach neoliberalism of neoreliasm explain describe the arab spring ?
    You can message me privately also, thanks
    Harold, IMO, is correct in stating that the "Arab Spring" has nothing at all to do with Neoliberalism or Neorealism.

    The connections, financial and military support and links in the ideology and relationship between liberals and socialist outside of the Middle East with the Muslim Brotherhood in the Middle East creates a global political movement/party/ideology that is the "spring" or the rebirth of Nazism.

    Muslim Brotherhood

    "Founded in 1928 by the Egyptian schoolteacher/activist Hasan al-Banna (a devout admirer of Adolf Hitler and the Nazis), the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) -- a Sunni entity -- is one of the oldest, largest and most influential Islamist organizations in the world."

    Hasan al-Banna - "It is the nature of Islam to dominate, not to be dominated, to impose its law on all nations and to extend its power to the entire planet."


    Liberals/Socialist support the Muslim Brotherhood's policies, anti-Semetic actions and violence with money, weapons and the political tools of war and nation building, while also politically pushing their rhetoric of anti-big business, anti-wealthy, and anti-capitalism in their own nations as they continue to pass laws establishing more and more National Socialist programs and more and more control over private Companies.

    The "Arab Spring", or the combination of two fundamental and critical Nazi ideologies coming together, is disturbing IMO.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Of course, rather than high-falutin' theories of social and cultural development, there's always the much more prosaic issue of food.

    The Food Crises and Political Instability in North Africa and the Middle East | NECSI

    No idea how you could incorporate this into the assignment as set. But it's worth trying - maybe as a larger set of explanatory mechanisms. I don't know how many there are around to do this. There's also your word limit to consider.
    westwind likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    It would seem like Neoliberalism would be more of a provocation for Arab Spring rather than an influence. Of course I'm thinking of the term in the sense of its meaning in economics, where it's basically unregulated capitalism. Lots of Muslims object to any form of Darwinism, especially social Darwinism. It's one of the bigger criticisms of the USA that we embrace a merciless competition for resources without any checks and balances on it.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    It would seem like Neoliberalism would be more of a provocation for Arab Spring rather than an influence. Of course I'm thinking of the term in the sense of its meaning in economics, where it's basically unregulated capitalism. Lots of Muslims object to any form of Darwinism, especially social Darwinism. It's one of the bigger criticisms of the USA that we embrace a merciless competition for resources without any checks and balances on it.
    Yea but, in reality, Darwinism (as far as societies are concerned - stronger / weaker etc.) is a law. One can either have a highly competitive and open market (a free market), or one can have a market that is mercilessly controlled, by way of threat and harm, by government entities. Either way, Social Darwinism is present.

    The American Dream has always been the ability of any man or woman to go from the bottom of the pile to the top of the heap through fair and free competition between an individual/s and their fellow Americans. However, America has been losing its "shining light" (if you will) that guided the worlds poor, oppressed and unfortunate to a nation that promised them and their children the right to compete vigorously with other Americans for greatness, wealth and a better life for themselves and their families...... Unfortunately, America has been shifting towards National Socialism, National control, National Darwinism, Global/National Dominance and Global/National Oppression and America has been getting far more brutal and aggressive in its actions and drive towards become the type of Nation and Government the people of the world used to flee from.

    Government control has been enacted and has been set in place for some time and that control is always increasing.. Of course, they have achieved control through laws, regulations and taxes, and this government control is sold as beneficial to and for the people when it is not.

    Businesses have been, and are, fleeing from America.

    The wealthy have been, and are, moving and shifting their money and homes to other nations.

    Government Socialist are and have been attacking businesses and the wealthy.

    Government has its own printing press to manipulate markets and put people to work.

    The people are losing more and more of the little wealth they have left through government printing fiat money and handing that out to them.

    Government debt sky rocketed because they have sold this fiat money to other nations and people.

    People and nations have wised up and they have stopped buying the fiat money from the United States and so the Federal Reserve has been buy its own fiat money with its own fiat money.

    Government continues to print trillions of free, un-backed dollars in order to spend and give away.

    Everyone of these newly printed dollars, because it is not backed or bought by anyone other than the government itself, devalues every other dollar in existence.

    This Inflation will turn into hyperinflation if the Government does not raise interest rate.

    If the Government raises interest rates though, their debt, will go up so fast and high it will never be paid and they will have to drastically cut just about every program the government has.


    Inflation or austerity.. Pick your poison.. Either way, the government, the one liberals and democrats begged for, will be cracking heads open all across american, and the american people will be suffering, no matter what poison they pick.
    Last edited by gonzales56; April 10th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    It is always refreshing to realise that some members post not to foster discussion, but to push an agenda.
    adelady likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzales56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    It would seem like Neoliberalism would be more of a provocation for Arab Spring rather than an influence. Of course I'm thinking of the term in the sense of its meaning in economics, where it's basically unregulated capitalism. Lots of Muslims object to any form of Darwinism, especially social Darwinism. It's one of the bigger criticisms of the USA that we embrace a merciless competition for resources without any checks and balances on it.
    Yea but, in reality, Darwinism (as far as societies are concerned - stronger / weaker etc.) is a law. One can either have a highly competitive and open market (a free market), or one can have a market that is mercilessly controlled, by way of threat and harm, by government entities. Either way, Social Darwinism is present.
    Unfortunately Muslims don't know that.

    That's the thing about religion. You're free to completely abandon reality, believe in Unicorns and Faeries, or whatever you like, as well as world orders that don't involve Darwinism.



    Government debt sky rocketed because they have sold this fiat money to other nations and people.

    People and nations have wised up and they have stopped buying the fiat money from the United States and so the Federal Reserve has been buy its own fiat money with its own fiat money.

    Government continues to print trillions of free, un-backed dollars in order to spend and give away.

    Everyone of these newly printed dollars, because it is not backed or bought by anyone other than the government itself, devalues every other dollar in existence.

    This Inflation will turn into hyperinflation if the Government does not raise interest rate.

    If the Government raises interest rates though, their debt, will go up so fast and high it will never be paid and they will have to drastically cut just about every program the government has.


    Inflation or austerity.. Pick your poison.. Either way, the government, the one liberals and democrats begged for, will be cracking heads open all across american, and the american people will be suffering, no matter what poison they pick.
    Though interesting, I am not sure how this relates to Arab Spring.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Unfortunately Muslims don't know that.

    That's the thing about religion. You're free to completely abandon reality, believe in Unicorns and Faeries, or whatever you like, as well as world orders that don't involve Darwinism.
    But Darwinism (survival of the fittest - competition - pecking order/rank) is something that every society, Muslim societies included, live by, right? Its a law.

    It does not matter if its a religious government, a communist government, a republic government, a socialist government, etc., they are all Darwinian. They are all based on the very powerful at the top, the very weak at the bottom and everyone else falling somewhere in between the two, with strengths constantly competing for power, control and/or wealth, and weaknesses constantly being controlled, ruled or culled.

    Everyone has their place and role in Social Darwinism within their own society, and they play it, even if they admit or not, know it or not, or like it or not. Muslims are no different.

    My other point was just describing the positives and negatives that occur between having a free society which is allowed to pick and compete for their own place in society vs having a government being at the top picking, or trying to pick, the pecking order for everyone else.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzales56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Unfortunately Muslims don't know that.

    That's the thing about religion. You're free to completely abandon reality, believe in Unicorns and Faeries, or whatever you like, as well as world orders that don't involve Darwinism.
    But Darwinism (survival of the fittest - competition - pecking order/rank) is something that every society, Muslim societies included, live by, right? Its a law.
    Another advantage of religion: you can make believe whatever you want about yourself too. They can just tell themselves it's the corrupting influence of the West that's making them act Darwinistically. Surely once America, the "great satan" is gone, Muslim men won't feel so inclined to take from one another.

    Also in the case of Jihad, that isn't really Darwinism to them. It's their God demonstrating his inevitable greatness, and the spoils of the war are their just reward for their service to Allah.

    It does not matter if its a religious government, a communist government, a republic government, a socialist government, etc., they are all Darwinian. They are all based on the very powerful at the top, the very weak at the bottom and everyone else falling somewhere in between the two, with strengths constantly competing for power, control and/or wealth, and weaknesses constantly being controlled, ruled or culled.
    Yes, they are. But no, they don't know they are. That's another aspect of the power of make-believe. If you're not aware of something, you get to experience life as though it weren't so.

    Well, kind of.


    My other point was just describing the positives and negatives that occur between having a free society which is allowed to pick and compete for their own place in society vs having a government being at the top picking, or trying to pick, the pecking order for everyone else.
    You realize, of course, that in the extreme, with no government at all, the mafia would get all the money. And that is Darwinism also.

    Clearly it's better if we put some restraints on it. The only disagreement people have is where to draw that line.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Another advantage of religion: you can make believe whatever you want about yourself too. They can just tell themselves it's the corrupting influence of the West that's making them act Darwinistically. Surely once America, the "great satan" is gone, Muslim men won't feel so inclined to take from one another.

    Also in the case of Jihad, that isn't really Darwinism to them. It's their God demonstrating his inevitable greatness, and the spoils of the war are their just reward for their service to Allah.

    Yes, they are. But no, they don't know they are. That's another aspect of the power of make-believe. If you're not aware of something, you get to experience life as though it weren't so.

    Well, kind of.

    You realize, of course, that in the extreme, with no government at all, the mafia would get all the money. And that is Darwinism also.

    Clearly it's better if we put some restraints on it. The only disagreement people have is where to draw that line.
    I personally agree with you on just about everything you posted....

    There is no doubt that religious nations tend to be governed by a religious establishment and that establishments interpretation of religious books, fundamental doctrines, personal beliefs/wants and rhetoric. Muslims are no different than others though, they will and do disagree and fight, not only with others but, among themselves as well.

    There are surely different benefits or consequences (depending on perspective) based on who is in control, right? I agree with you here as well.

    I also agree with you that some people are cold heart'ed and some are not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. The spring buoyancy
    By Misr in forum Physics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 9th, 2011, 05:34 AM
  2. Standing waves on a spring
    By thyristor in forum Physics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
  3. spring
    By sushy_bhat in forum Physics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
  4. Helicopters catching Skylab and Arab-Israeli peace
    By GreatBigBore in forum Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
  5. lengths of a spring
    By DesertRose in forum Physics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •